The Island: Turn 233

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Turn 228

Image

Steals chases after Kin. As he runs, he hears a loud squawk from behind him and a yelp from (presumably) the old man.

Image

Kin keeps on running back to camp...

Image

Silver prods the other coconut and makes even more of a mess and loses another coconut shard in amongst the sticky goop. Oh well.

Image

Buttons heaves the heavy swamp-water barrel inside the mine entrance and grabs a plank of wood to protect himself from the mushrooms. Once inside, he pulls on his miner's helmet and will be ready to cross the rope next turn.

Image

In the balloon, Treasures goes to pull up the anchor, but it's way too heavy to move it by herself. She's going to need some help to do this... From the south-east she hears the faint squawking of birds and a yelp.

Image

"Not bad! What is the sap used in or for? Give it a taste...I'm gonna call you Grig."
"Mostly we burn it for fuel. It makes nice green flame that's got very popular over the past few years so it's in quite high demand. It doesn't last very long though, so we always need more. It's getting harder to find suitable trees though, the draining doesn't do them much good."
"Hmm...A few days seems like a bit long to wait. You don't have any sort of emergency signal?"
"Well... It's not really allowed... But... Ok, listen - if you really want out, I can get the boys to help you, but you'll have to trade us something in return."

(Let me know if you want to go ahead and use the purple gem or do something else in light of the new info).

---------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Patdragon » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:16 pm

100th page horrah!
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Hahahah! ...wow! I guess it's no surprise that I apparently cant make short games.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1660

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:16 am

"You are not really in a sustainable industry are you? What happens when you kill all these trees? Do you have any other marketable skills? I can't imagine this pays well or gives you much opportunity to learn and expand your competencies!"

"How would you help me out and what do you have in mind for a trade? I'm honestly pretty light on tradeables, though I image we can work something out."

OOC: no stone yet...I will see what they can offer and what they want.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6810

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Theis2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:20 am

Shackled sighs but ignores the old man and heads up the balloon to help with the anchor.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4747

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:21 am

► Show Spoiler
Kin keeps running towards the camp with the chest, avoiding all known dangers (and the birds, should she encounter some).
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15331
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:22 am

Silver sighs and goes over to the gooed board and starts cuttin out chunks of wood so she can continue stabbing a foongus amoongus

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Patdragon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:17 am

Button heads across the rope initially planning to help Silver, but finds him still struggling. Assessing the matter he first looks to see how the rock with the rope is secured. If it's just stuck to the floor after all the mushroom spurting he will use the plank to force stress by pushing the mushroom and uses his sword to cut at the stressed "roots" to remove the mushroom.
It the rock and rope are stuck in the mushroom itself he will try to cut the parts that leave the rock attached.

"Silver lets work together on this. Perhaps if you hold the board I can get a better angle to cut this mushroom out by the roots."

If mushroom is causes to much goo after cutting throw it down the shaft.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Still waiting on one action I think... Unless you guys want to just vote.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1660

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:19 am

Vote that Treasures get out of the balloon (since the birds are coming) and head towards camp stones to the cave. I assume the balloon will soon be a ground balloon so no need to try and grab more stuff...

Edited to agree with Gathers.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4747

Re: The Island: Turn 228

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:12 am

Rodgeir wrote:Vote that Treasures get out of the balloon (since the birds are coming) and head towards the cave. I assume the balloon will soon be a ground balloon so no need to try and grab more stuff...
I second that vote, only, have him use the camp teleport, if possible. (I know it doesn't work indoors, but maybe as soon as he climbs out and is on solid ground again, he could use it.)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Turn 229

The sun drags on towards midday as the goblins continue their various tasks and worries.

Image

Shackled climbs all the way up to the balloon just in time to see Treasures climb down and 'port back to camp. 'Doh!

The climb up the ladder gives him a good view of the approaching birds though at least. For now, they appear to be hovering over the beach to the south-east where he just came from. The birds appear to have stayed in formation, with a large, dark red bird hovering in the centre of the circle of smaller, black birds. There's something very strange about them, and he is suddenly very keen to stay away from them.

Image

Kin keeps running and makes it back to camp. Treasures also arrives back at the camp.

Image

Inside the cave, Silver uses her other blade to break off one small piece of the glued board. The glue has at least mostly hardened now and she manages to not get herself or her knife stuck in it this time either, but most of the board is glued to the mushroom and can't be removed.

Buttons investigates the mushroom in order to try and help. The rope that provides the makeshift bridge is essentially lassoed around the mushroom's thick stem. Cutting through the stem looks like it would be a long and tedious process, but there's enough glue everywhere now that at least the rope should stay put for a good long while. On the other hand, they're also not going to be able to get the rope back any time soon without cutting through it...

Image

"You are not really in a sustainable industry are you? What happens when you kill all these trees? Do you have any other marketable skills? I can't imagine this pays well or gives you much opportunity to learn and expand your competencies!"
"Meh. A job's a job isn't it? Besides, we're minions. What kind of opportunities are WE ever going to get?"
"How would you help me out and what do you have in mind for a trade? I'm honestly pretty light on tradeables, though I image we can work something out."
"Well, we'd have to stop working to get you out of here... So... You'd need to able to pay us back for the lost time. We don't necessarily NEED to be paid with stuff... We can take other things too you know. A hand... A day of your life... A servant... It's up to you really."

The creature nods towards the little green guy as he mentions servants.

----------------------------

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4747

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:43 am

Kin tries to tilt the mine cart over, so it's laying on its side. If successful, she grabs the owlbear hide and drapes it over the opening, so a goblin could sit in there unnoticed, putting small rocks onto the edge to hold it in place.

Once she is done with that (whether or not successful) she grabs a board and goes into the cave, avoiding any known dangers, trying to get where Silver and Buttons are.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1660

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:21 am

"Hmm. Fair enough. Though I am pretty attached to my hand and I don't make decisions for Grig, if he wants to stay with you guys so I can get out he can." Write will glance at the little guy for some indication of his desires.

Presuming a no answer- Write will continue, "A day of my life? So we can trade for time then. Let me check on something and I may be able to offer you several days of your lives as payment."

Write pulls out the purple stone and concentrates on communicating with the tree. If she is able to do so she will greet it the best she can before trying to convey a sense of urgency to the tree (with memories of the diseased and evil trees on the island) and will visualize it moving its roots to come out the side of the side of the tunnel so she can climb out. If that doesn't work she will instead try to visualize tree bugs eating the tree's sap and using it to grow big enough to carry her out before touching the cut root and encouraging the tree try and ignore its pain(?) and put more sap into that root if it can while going back to the tree bug visualization as an explanation and the diseased forest as an explanation.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15331
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:34 am

she tests it's gooness left within it by putting her arm above it. If it gooes she comtinues to stab at thee with coconut, if it does not then she climbs upwards.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:09 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:she tests it's gooness left within it by putting her arm above it. If it gooes she comtinues to stab at thee with coconut, if it does not then she climbs upwards.
You sure you want to use your arm? If it does goo again, you're going to get stuck to something (like all the rest of your stuff).

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15331
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 am

Err.... Probably not uhh coconut shell dont fail me now!

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Patdragon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:18 pm

"Silver I think we need to approach this from a different direction for the moment, I have a plan that will work temporarily at least. I'll throw this blue cloak over this first mushroom as the glue has gone everywhere If i can get it over the other one as well it will solve the problem until the glue soak through the cloak. Eventually the glue should harden and it will be safe in the long term to jump over. If the cloak doesn't fit over both you still have your glue plank that we can use to cover the other one with. Think i'll work?"

If Silver agrees he goes ahead and tries to throw the cloak over the mutilated mushroom and the other one if possible. Then he suggest they try and go past before it soaks in. to get to the other side of the mushrooms if both are covered/block.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15331
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Silver nods, it is not her cloak anyways

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:31 am

Hey folks! while we're waiting on Theis, do you want to vote for Treasures again?

INcidentally, my New Year's Resolution is to spend more time on these games, so I'll be aiming to update more or less as soon as you guys get all your actions in from now on.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6810

Re: The Island: Turn 229

Post by Theis2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:38 am

Shackled will throw as many chests and then bags overboard and hope that the content won't break. If the birds are approaching again, he'll climb down
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14393
Location: Florida

Re: The Island: Turn 230

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Turn 230

Image

The noonday sun passes overhead as the goblins continue their work.

With a heroic effort, Kin (with a little help from Treasure) heaves the mine cart onto its side and drapes the owlbear hide over the top to make a makeshift tent. There aren't any spare rocks, so she steals a couple from the wall to hold the fur in place. Once she's satisfied with that, she grabs a board, ready to go and find the others next turn.

Treasure spaces out.

Image

Inside the mine, Buttons is contemplating the mushroom problem.

"Silver I think we need to approach this from a different direction for the moment, I have a plan that will work temporarily at least. I'll throw this blue cloak over this first mushroom as the glue has gone everywhere If i can get it over the other one as well it will solve the problem until the glue soak through the cloak. Eventually the glue should harden and it will be safe in the long term to jump over. If the cloak doesn't fit over both you still have your glue plank that we can use to cover the other one with. Think i'll work?"

Silver nods and prods the second mushroom again, making it spurt another puddle of glue over itself and trapping the coconut blade deep in the mess. Buttons tosses what remains of the balloonists's blue coat over the top of the first mushroom. No more glue is produced, but the coat sticks firmly onto the top of it. The whole thing looks like it should be safe to cross, but they might want to find a less permeable cover if they're going to create a bridge for long-term use... Still, it'll work for now.

Image

Shackled sees the birds coming his way, so grabs the nearest bag of things and throws it over the side before climbing down. The birds are just to the south of him now.

Image

"Hmm. Fair enough. Though I am pretty attached to my hand and I don't make decisions for Grig, if he wants to stay with you guys so I can get out he can."

Grig shakes his head vigorously at the idea of staying behind.

"A day of my life? So we can trade for time then. Let me check on something and I may be able to offer you several days of your lives as payment."

Write pulls out the purple stone and activates it, using its power to try and communicate a series of bad things to the tree in the hopes that it will help her. It sort of works... As she activates the stone, the power seems to awaken something inside the tree, and she senses a shiver of fear and disgust pulse through the tree in response to the thoughts she sends it. These are shortly followed by anger and pain. The sap begins to ooze more slowly and the ground begins to shake around her as the tree roots begin to grow rapidly, forcing themselves through the ceiling towards her and the minions and Grig... She has an escape route, but it's closing fast!

"GAH!! This is the opposite of what you just said you'd doooo!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1660

Re: The Island: Turn 230

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Write grabs Grig and a handful of sap and makes for the escape route as quickly as possible.

She'll yell as she runs, "Sorry! Sorry! I have to say that I'm as surprised as you by how fast this tree is moving! RUN! RUN!"

Ya...disturbing images are not a good way to start a conversation with anyone. Not good at the telepathy thing. :shrug:

If still connected to the stone she'll try to send calming images of...sunshine? light rain?...without slowing her escape.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1660

Re: The Island: Turn 230

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Also I vote that Treasures help Kin with whatever Kin does next.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6810

Re: The Island: Turn 230

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Grab the bag and move north for shackled
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Post Reply