The Island: Turn 233

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 225

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:54 pm

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14614
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 225

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:45 pm

It would be better if she loots then teleports back to camp

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 225

Post by Patdragon » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:21 am

Kin should loot the crate if it is not locked and teleport back to camp. If it is locked then try to pick it/ crack it open first.

As for Buttons...hmm... his trap idea is a bust with to much effort. Wanting to go into the mine and help Silver but unwilling to give up the forward defensive position, he tries sneaking to the east and tries to keep hidden in case he see something he keeps listening to see if he can tell the distance to the drums if they are still going.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4701

Re: The Island: Turn 225

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:39 am

Kin will check the chest for traps, disarm them if any, then open & loot the chest and if still able, teleport back to camp.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Narshe
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 126

Re: The Island: Turn 225

Post by Narshe » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Treasures gleefully loots the place blind! She takes the un-burnt coal as well as the ash (carefully extracted and wrapped in a piece torn off of bedding), the wax and the seal, the sextant and compass, and even stows the sheets from the bedding in hammerspace. She rifles through the papers in the leather binder to see if they are magic. If there's any time left, she'll try to figure out if she can steer this balloon somehow - maybe it can be repurposed as a floating airbase!

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:20 pm

Turn 227

Image

"I guess I should just tell you now, but besides you and me and the occasional traveller these islands are mostly visited by bandits and pirates. Delaying their mail and looking at it is quite possibly better than having them launch a surprise attack on us."
"Well, that is not for you to decide! They are performing a public service and should not be interrupted in the course of their duties!

... Unless they're not actually postal crows. Hmmm... That would certainly make more sense, because who in the world would send mail to a goblin? Ooooh! Look at you!"


The old guy seems to have given up kicking sand at the corpse and has become suddenly engrossed by one of the crabs. The birds are making good progress to the Island and will probably arrive in another couple of turns.

Image

Silver sighs at the stuck blade and goes back to prodding the mushroom with the coconut shell. It oozes more glue over itself and makes a general mess.

Image

Kin grabs the treasure box and is not surprised to find that it's locked. She gives it a look over for any traps, but she's not very sure what she's looking for. The lock does look a little bit strange, but maybe it's just fancy? The box is too big to teleport with though, so she'll either have to get it open or else leave it here.

Image

Belief does some sneaking and heads east to try and get a better idea of what the drums are doing. They seem to be coming from somewhere deep in the woods, but as far as he can tell, they're not moving closer.

Image

Treasures loots ALL THE THINGS, including a little parcel of ashes wrapped up in a piece of bedsheet. She checks the papers in the binder and is disappointed to find that it's mostly just scribbles in some language she doesn't understand. Right at the back of the book she comes across something that looks interesting though. She finds a Spell of Warding! This spell allows the caster to summon a one-way shield around all allies who are standing close together in the same area. She'll have to wait until next turn to figure out whether this thing can still fly.

Image

"Hello there! My name is Write and this (she'll gesture to the little guy to let him say his name). I am trying to get up that tunnel there and I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how one would go about doing that? I see that you're busy harvesting some...sap there and I don't want to keep you from your work! Is that sap, by any chance, sticky enough I could use it to climb up?"
"Oh hi! We use a ladder! When we finish our shift, our boss comes and lets us out, but we have to make sure we get enough sap to fill these carts first. I reckon we've got about... ooh... what do you think Steve? Three? Four maybe?"
"Oh at least. This one bleeds slow."
"Yeah, that's what I thought. I'd say we'll be waiting for this thing for four moons. Five maybe."
"Moons?! Holy moly! That's aaaaages! ...Hey, do you have snacks?"
"Want some root?"
"From the tree? Ew! No thanks."
"I'm glad you decided to follow me! I'm not hungry anymore, how do you feel?"
"I'm definitely feeling less like I want to eat you, but I could definitely eat something. Those guys look pretty tasty don't you think?"

Write chats to the minion workers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Patdragon » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:40 am

Double post update ;)

Buttons decides he is will collect some of the swamp water in his small barrel. It might come in useful if someone gets too covered in glue from mushrooms. Once back at camp if he has time he feels it is almost noon and he is feeling a bit peckish so decides to munch on one of the most likely dead corpse crab from his treasure chest.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4701

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:35 pm

Kin sighs, because she has no experience with lock picking and searches her inventory for something feasible. (* I'll have to look it up on Obsidian and edit something in here, if so.)

If she has something suitable, she'll try and pick the lock*. EDIT: maybe one of the owlbear feathers (the pointy end ofc.), or the wooden needle, or perhaps the point of the dagger?
If she thinks she can craft something suitable, do that and then try picking the lock.*
If she's successful in opening the chest, check out contents, loot them and port back to camp. (or as many actions as she still has this turn)
If none of the above applies, she'll just carry the chest back to the camp on the quickest route avoiding all known dangers.



EDIT: footnote: *Or break the lock, whichever seems more promising.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 799

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:32 pm

Write will consider the information laid out by the minions root miners briefly.


Write will whisper to her tag along,

"Not especially tasty, no. Give me a sec, I'll get us out of here and hopefully on to better meal options. What's your name by the way?"

To the root...milkers?-

"How do you signal your boss when the cart(s)? are full? May it try some sap?"

Assuming they answer in the affirmative to the second question, Write will the proceed to feel the sap, testing it for stickiness and hold strength against the side of the cart. She'll then tastes (a very small amount of) it (fresh untested sap if possible), 'cus why not.

*Edited for clarity and additional awesomeness.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14614
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Silver, getting bored over lack of progress keeps cutting away

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:11 pm

@Burns - What are you actually trying to do?

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14614
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Cutting a shroom

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:23 pm

OK, like cutting through the stalk completely or just stabbing it until it runs out of glue? Also, you're trying to do all of this with a moderately sharp piece of coconut, so it probs will take a while...

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14614
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Eh runs out of glue sounds faster.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6383

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Theis2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:01 am

Shackled will try to get a nice green tan as he awaits the birds hoping they will go down to the corpse as he regains some health
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 pm

waiting on a post for treasures; will update tomorrow either way though.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 799

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:21 pm

thinkslogically wrote:waiting on a post for treasures; will update tomorrow either way though.
If there is time I vote Treasures tries to fly the balloon, since that was the plan before.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4701

Re: The Island: Turn 226

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:06 am

Rodgeir wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:waiting on a post for treasures; will update tomorrow either way though.
If there is time I vote Treasures tries to fly the balloon, since that was the plan before.
seconded
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Turn 227

Image

Buttons ignores the drums as best he can, and fills up his small barrel with the slimy, sticky swamp water. It doesn't smell pleasant and there are gross bugs swimming around in it. He carries back to the mine entrance and decides to have some lunch. Investigating the box of crabs almost turns his stomach though. They are definitely dead, and seem to have been that way for some time. Whatever is left of them is almost certainly not edible.

Image

Kin sighs and rummages through her pockets for something she could use as a lock pick, but the owlbear feather isn't strong enough and everything else is too big. She might be able to break the lock using her dagger, but it could also break the blade. She also might be able to carve one of the owlbear bones into a suitable shape, but it'll take a while so for now she heads back towards the camp.

Image

In the mine, Silver decides to change tack and just prod the mushrooms until they run out of glue. She pokes the closest one and causes another small eruption of sticky glue. She doesn't get her hand stuck in the mess, but she does lose the shard of coconut shard. Maybe one day the dice gods will be on her side... On the plus side, she thinks this mushroom might finally be all glued out.

Image

Shackled relaxes in the sun while the birds get closer. They will likely reach the island next turn, but so far they show no signs of flying lower. Even more unusual is that they seem to be maintaining an almost perfectly circular arrangement, with one bird in the centre. Weird.

Image

Treasures examines the mechanisms around the balloon, but he doesn't find any obvious way of making the contraption go. Maybe they were using magic? The wheel on his left has an anchor symbol engraved on it, and he makes the deductive leap that it therefore probably has something to do with raising and lowering the anchor.

Image

Write contemplates the workers and whispers to the green guy:
""Not especially tasty, no. Give me a sec, I'll get us out of here and hopefully on to better meal options. What's your name by the way?"

The green guy responds with something utterly unpronounceable then grins at Write.

Write nods politely and turns her attention to the workers.

"How do you signal your boss when the cart(s)? are full? May it try some sap?"
"We just shout and he throws the ladder down. But this sort of work takes a long time, so he's probably checking one of our other trees. He'll be back in a few days most likely. I suppose I can let you have a little bit of sap... Just a bit though, it's VERY valuable."

Write dips her finger into the sticky resinous sap and tastes a tiny bit. It's quite sweet and woody but otherwise doesn't seem to have any weird effects.

-----------------------------------------------

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4701

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Kin keeps running back to the camp (avoiding all known dangers), hoping the contents of the chest are worth it.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Indulges in Conversation
Posts: 799

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:12 am

"Not bad! What is the sap used in or for?" She will gesture Unpronounceable towards the sap, "Give it a taste...I'm gonna call you Grig."

To the minions, "Hmm...A few days seems like a bit long to wait. You don't have any sort of emergency signal?"

Presuming a negative answer, Write pulls out the purple stone and concentrates on communicating with the tree. If she is able to do so she will greet it the best she can before trying to convey a sense of urgency to the tree (with memories of the diseased and evil trees on the island) and will visualize it moving its roots to come out the side of the side of the tunnel so she can climb out.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6383

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by Theis2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:09 am

"Just make sure the birds won't land here okay?"

Steals will move left and help Kin move the chest towards the camp
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14614
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 am

Stime to get glue out of the other shroom with her other coconut.

User avatar
Patdragon
Game Master
Posts: 2288
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by Patdragon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 pm

As it appears others will be heading back to the main base soon. Buttons frustrations at not exploring the mine yet and Silvers slow process with the mushrooms take over, he decides to head into the mine placing the swamp water barrel just inside the entrance for future use. Taking a plank to cover his head he heads further into the mine and heads across the chasm on the rope. Once across he puts his miners helmet back on with glow cube in it helping any of silver actions.

If he has any additional time he will assist Silver with the mushrooms. Most likely only providing cover with his shield this turn but with future cutting the base stem in mind.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

User avatar
Narshe
Speaks Quietly
Posts: 126

Re: The Island: Turn 227

Post by Narshe » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:16 pm

(( Hey guys, sorry for long absence - new job, then I got quite badly sick, and still trying to piece everything together! ))

Treasures does a Final Fantasy Victory Theme dance at finding a new spell (belatedly), and decides to go ahead and experiment with weighing the anchor. If that works and the balloon moves, she will try to see whether that wheel changes once the anchor's aweigh to provide a steering mechanism... if the the airship starts moving in a direction that takes her away from her friends and the island or towards a threat, she will quickly drop the anchor instead.

Post Reply