D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Cal will stick near Aimee, since she's probably not running head first into battle if it comes.

"Excuse me Aimee. When I cast my senses through Lewis, I can't hear or see through my own ears and eyes. I'll still be able to talk to you, but I won't be able to hear what you say back. Can you make sure I don't walk into a tree or something?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:10 pm

(( That's fine, but I wanted 10 flasks of oil, so it's 8 GP altogether. Should be handy, especially with Cal being able to set things on fire with his cantrip, no? ;) ))

Before they head out, Saca offers to pass 2 flasks of oil to everyone interested. "Here, have some flasks of oil, in case we get into a fight with extremely disadvantaged numbers, throw them onto either the floor to make them slip, or onto some equipment or an enemy and ignite. We might be able to retreat and regroup more easily in the ensuing confusion."
She also hands out one gold each, from the money that she got for the goblins equipment minus the cost of her purchases. "I got some money for the goblin's armour, bow and arrows, I thought I'd share it with you, since we all brought them down together.
Also, I bought a healer's kit and will be carrying it with me. I mainly bought it, because we don't know what condition Gundren and Sildar will be in, when we find them, but if I get incapacitated, I would very much appreciate it if one of you could use it on me."

If needed, Saca will demonstrate what the kit looks like and how it is used.

When the preparation is done, Saca will bring up the rear, because a) she's used to it by now and b) she really rather flunked her athletics roll earlier and she might still need to catch her breath a bit. o:)
She keeps Guidance Perception active on herself all the time.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:21 am

((So no chance of a short rest before heading in?))

Aimee will walk with Cal, between Saca and Kryz it seems. She pats Cal on the shoulder and smiles.

"No trees for you!"

She thinks about what Cal says about not being able to hear her then says in his mind, bypassing his ears,

You talk with your mouth and I will talk in here! Perfect team!

She accepts the oil and gold from Saca and rewards the dwarf with a toothy grin.

As they walk along the trail she keeps a steering hand on Cal's head and watches the sides and ahead for ambush/traps, but mostly she just enjoys the walk and asks in Cal's mind every few minutes different questions like,

What do you see? Is it like you're flying?

Looking for trouble: 1D20+1 = [4]+1 = 5

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:44 pm

"Thanks!"

Kryz keeps walking, alert, but not really sure what he's looking for.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Balin nods his thanks, stores the oil and gold and goes back to tracking

(( If you haven't figured it out by now, Balin is a stoic and a dwarf of few words. ))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:25 pm

So, it's going Balin, Kryz, Calrick/Aimee, then Saca bringing up the rear. Sound right?

As the group walks down the path guided by both Balin's good tracking skills and Lewis's memory, Balin's sharp eyes manage to see a rope snare which would have hung him up by his ankles had he stepped in the wrong place.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:30 pm

((Lewis will take off occasionally and do some circles to orient himself and see if he spots any goblin sentries as they get closer. Let me know if/when you want rolls for him?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Balin strokes his beard thoughtfully and suddenly grins with a wicked gleam in his eye. He carefully dismantles the trap, takes the rope and trigger further down the trail and reassembles the trap near a large tree with a distinctive twist, carefully hiding it again.

survival: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21

He shows the others where he's put the trap. "Don't forget it's here." He chuckles. "The goblins won't be looking for the trap here, they'll think it's still further down the trail. If a straggler comes in while we're in there, it'll keep him out of out business for a while."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Aimee lifts Cal over the trip line with a grunt of exertion and yawns. She holds on to the back of Cal's robe to keep him from wandering off while she sits waiting for Balin to finish playing with the rope and stuff, humming to herself and a little in Cal's mind.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:47 am

"Balin's not quite a tree, but thanks for keeping me from running into his backside, Aimee!", Cal pipes up after his eyes roll back down as he's being lifted.

Cal has begun humming along with Aimee, seemingly unconsciously.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Balin moves the trap down the trail a bit, trying to trip up the goblins at a future date. Then, the group keeps walking. After about 30 minutes of walking, Balin (assuming he is still in front) feels a strange sensation of the ground shifting under his feet.

Lurks, give me a Dexterity savings throw.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:56 am

Saca tries to imprint the new location of the trap into her memory.

When Aimee and Cal begin humming, she says "Would you please be quiet? We're trying to rescue Gundren and Sildar, which means going into enemy territory. You don't want them to notice us."
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:35 am

dexterity: 1D20 = [2] = 2

Balin's eye's widen. "Pit!" He reacts...far too late.

dexterity: 1D20 = [2] = 2

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 am

Aimee relays Saca's message to Cal about not humming in her stern mind voice and, later, pulls on Cal to keep him from falling into whatever Balin falls into and tells him,

Another trap!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:01 am

Cal stops humming when Aimee shushes him, and with the warning, returns to his senses, looking side to side.

"Where did Balin go?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 am

Aimee points,

"In there! You okay Balin?"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:49 pm

As the ground collapses underneath his feet, Balin falls into a crudely dug hole, taking 4 bludgeoning damage. It's not that steep on the sides, so he has little trouble climbing out. Assuming the group keeps going, it's a short ways down the path before Lewis flies back to the party, giving a soft hoot, notifying Calrick that they are almost there.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:53 pm

Kryz recoils from the edge of the pit trap with and then drops to one knee, calling down to Balin: "Hey! You dead down there?"

He hops down into the trap alongside Balin and helps haul him back onto his feet with a toothy grin.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Cal warns the others, sending Lewis back out and looking through his eyes to see if there are any sentries posted or patrolling.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Roll perception for Lewis

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:23 pm

A rather battered looking Balin clambers out. He's looking a bit dazed.

(( Sam, am I right in calculating Balin's HP at 3 right now?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Perception: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [4, 6]+3 = 9

:sigh: thanks a lot Lewis...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 pm

"Sooo maybe time for a break? I know I could use a sit-down! Something to eat? What do you say? We can come up with plans!"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:15 am

Saca checks the immediate surroundings one more time, before she - if no immediate threat is noticeable to her - carefully approaches the pit and helps Balin & Kryz out, using her rope and a nearby anchor point (tree, boulder, etc.)

Perception (with guidance): 1D20 + 3 + 1D4 = [15]+3+[4] = 22

(if the tying of the rope and/or pulling out the people in the pit needs any rolls, please let me know which ones and I'll add them. :) )
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:39 am

((What is the prayer that Saca is constantly saying throughout her day? Who does she pray to?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler