The wishing fountain OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

The wishing fountain OOC

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:13 am

Feel free to use this space to ask questions or clarifications and to theorize amongst yourselves.

Also, note that new players are still welcome to get thrown into the mix. There is no 4 person cap to number of players, we could have 12 and that'd be fine... Again mostly due to the high turnover rate.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: The wishing fountain OOC

Post by Krulle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 am

One question I have, that you might not want to answer because it'll answer itself:

IF a new goblinite comes to the portal, will (s)he be entering the room with the fountain set we are in, or will (s)he enter in the first set and have to find out which fountains are deadly by her/himself?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 am

They'll be entering the room as it is now.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 am

Ah, thanks. That alleviates any potential issue of having to leave a message behind for anyone coming after us.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:16 am

The fountain has either never been found before or this dungeon has a staff of cleaners that comes around in between adventures to tidy up the place. (At least tidy up organic matter) and maybe close doors and such.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:37 am

So, I was kind of wondering: Why are people heading back/outside the fountain room? I know that the milky/pearly fountain granted Cups a wish and they had enough water in the cup for another person to drink, but after they put it into the "magical cupboard" they wished for, that water was spilled. So if you are heading back now (even if you don't get killed on the way out), you'll have nothing to hand over the wizard (unless I missed something).
Then the fountains changed and we'd have to find out which one of them is the "new" wishing fountain (if there is even one among the new 5 fountains), or have I missed something.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:42 am

There is always one fountain that is the wishing fountain. This is a defense mechanism of the fountain.

The other fountains can best be described as pure chaos. The affects won't always kill you, sometimes they're good, sometimes neutral, sometimes just annoying.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 am

But none of the player's characters currently have wishing fountain water with them, right? Not even in the "hammerspace cupboard".
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 am

:puke: Forgetful has a previously occupied urn filled with regular water. Otherwise no wishing fountain water... Whichever one it is... Has been gathered.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:20 am

Yeah, I knew about that water, but it was just "fresh drinkable" water as far as we could tell. Here's hoping Forgetful forgot what was in those urns previously, when he takes his next sip out of them... :D
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:25 am

lI remembered somethhing I wanted to do.

No, I am returning to the fountain room, because so far the treasure room seems to be a fountain of magical items, but without an exit...
And because the DM specifically stated he expects a high-turnover, and so far the treasures did not seem to be deadly, compared to the fountains....
So I expect to get out only through trial-and error in the fountain room.... And that seems deadly....
Last edited by Krulle on Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:29 am

Yep, Agrees will also be heading back to fountain room. He just needed to explore the other room. Who knows, it might have had info or ever more fountains.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:27 am

Going to be on a vacation starting today and back probably sometimes during the upcoming Friday (28th of June).

I will have limited internet access there, but I don't know if I get around to posting, or if I will be too busy with vacation things. ;)
I hereby authorize NotStickFigures (player of Agrees) to make ONE wish with Questions (in return for them wishing her to be bodily restored) in my absence, and I wouldn't mind if you, badge, would auto-pilot her to follow along with the rest of the group and/or keep her out of danger, if that is an option, but I do not want her to spend any more wishes (especially since she might only have one more left, according to your last ingame post and we do want one wish worth of water saved to give to the wizard).
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:30 am

I can't imagine that the group does anything worse than killing themselves, I'm sure you'll be fine.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm

So how many wishes are left now? (I think Questions still should have 2 drinks worth of original fountain water, on top of the infinite normal water supply).

Also who did successfully wish for Questions to turn back from skeleton to her original form, I got confused with several wishes not going through.

I remember someone wanted a map, but I think wishing for a portal that will safely take goblins within arms reach of the "golden gate" would be a bit more efficient. Once we made it out of the dungeon, we still will have to find a way back to the wizard (and we have no idea how far that is from the dungeon). Any input on this from you guys?
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:53 pm

GathersIngredients wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 pmI not trying to argue with you on this, but that's exactly why Questions said "all its properties intact". Meaning it contains fountain imbued water now, so it should refill with fountain imbued water ad infinitum.
I get it that infinite wishes would be a game changer, if not game breaker, so I'm respecting the dear GM's decision on the outcome, but that voice laughing at her, when she did everything right is not a nice thing to do.
Well, I'm a tad too lazy to remember if my cup still contains water....
GathersIngredients wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 pmI not trying to argue with you on this, but that's exactly why Questions said "all its properties intact". Meaning it contains fountain imbued water now, so it should refill with fountain imbued water ad infinitum.
I get it that infinite wishes would be a game changer, if not game breaker, so I'm respecting the dear GM's decision on the outcome, but that voice laughing at her, when she did everything right is not a nice thing to do.
The same mechanic of only water made by the fountain can grant wishes could be used to prevent wishes from happening when the water is drank when not directly next to the fountain...
So, the wizard will kill us for not having brought wishes to him.....

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 am

The fountain defends itself, in part by not allowing someone to make a wish factory. As to the giggle, the voice of the fountain is the embodiment of chaos, you guys are a riot, he loves you.

It's not about proximity to a fountain, if that was the case, the wish water wouldn't work after the fountains change.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 pm

Why aren't the first two drinks (= 1 cup) poured from the infinite water supply cup still wish-worthy? I explicitly wrote that Questions would pour from the full into the empty cup, so those two wishes should not be lost and still be usable, imho.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 am

You used the full cup to try to turn it into an endless wish cup. The water within changed into non wishing water, where else would it have gone?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 am

So the wish changed not only the cup, but the contents it had at that time, too? How? Why? The wish was not about the content, but about the cup.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 am

Let me walk through this step by step.

You had a full cup.
You wished for it to be a bottomless supply of the water that was in the cup.
You got: a cup full of a bottomless supply of water.

If it makes it easier to understand.
Whatever wishing water that was in the cup, is underneath an infinite supply of water. So it's still there, you just can't access it.

As a general rule: trying to wish for more wishes will end in failure and potentially death.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:20 am

Questions had a full cup. Questions wished for the liquid inside to cup to REFILL/be replaced, as soon as part of the contents were poured out. You don't refill a container that is already full, do you?
So if anything, the wish water should be ON TOP of the endless supply. Not allowing more wishes to enter the game, like I said, from a GM's point of view, is sensible and I respect that. But destroying the existing wishes for no good reason, when Questions worded stuff SO carefully doesn't make any sense.
I mean if I (as player of Questions) had worded it stupidly, then I would still be annoyed, but I would say: "fine, that's my own fault". But if you're saying my wording -is- stupid, I would very much like you to humour me and provide a better wording, one that would have allowed Questions to keep the 2 doses of wishing water.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:52 am

"I wish for this cup in my right hand to have a never-ending, readily usable supply of the liquid it currently contains with all its properties intact, no matter how much of it is poured, drunk, spilled or otherwise removed from the cup."

You now have a cup with a never ending supply of water, this cup is filled to the brim, if you knocked it over in a small sealed room you could drown.

Telling you how I would have done it would have defeated the purpose of you guys using your imaginations. I'm not saying you worded it stupidly.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:17 am

I know about the drowning. I tried very hard to avoid wording it so it would overflow and be a problem instantly.

The underlined text doesn't give me any sensible hints that the already existing liquid should be on bottom of the never-ending supply, to be precise, quite the contrary: the last line, IMHO means it (never-ending supply) comes out of the cup AFTER the current contents are [poured, drunk, spilled or otherwise removed from the cup], so the wishing water should be "on top".
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:21 am

So here's the thing about wishes and run-on sentences.....

Try to be short and concise... Using commas and the word and other descriptors is like adding more wishes onto the first. Example: I wish a never-ending supply of this liquid. Still impossible, but going into more details is bad for the wish.