Why donÔÇÖt people create? GM's and players how is it going?

Home to all current Forum Games.
lingrem
Former Mod

Re: Why donÔÇÖt people create? GM's and Aspiring Tell yout tal

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm

I'm having fun playing around in it ;)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm

I 2nd what TTW said, that is, i rather enjoy readin all the above games mentioned.

Personally I have a good time with my games, especially the dungeon of horror. I like to read the RPÔÇÖing from the players, and is glad to find that they seem to begin to think in strategy to.

The Horde is the most fun to draw, but sadly itÔÇÖs a bit slow, and donÔÇÖt seem to have that much RPÔÇÖing from the gamers.. ThatÔÇÖs a bit sad.

I really look forward to the Gods of the world game, I love making maps, and having 4 individual minds creating each their own part of it will (I hope) make for a truly great history of the world, diverse cultures of the intelligent races and a cool map.
-Best regards LAYF

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't know who I'm playing and which game I'm in it seems... :lol:

I'm a bit burned out about my own game though after fighting gimp and whatnot to create a single map of the battle area.. xD
Slightly because I'm dissapointed it didn't look better considering how much time I spent on it. (in truth if you remove most of the layers except the terrain layer, it looks like i just drew a poop in the bottom.. xD)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Honestly theis, it gets MUCH easier the more drawings you make! And to be fair, most of my landscapes look like boobs :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:30 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Honestly theis, it gets MUCH easier the more drawings you make! And to be fair, most of my landscapes look like boobs :)
You make it sound like boobs is a bad thing?

Eh...

Any ways... Yea, Thinks is right. prectise (cant spell that at all) makes master.. or, better at least...
-Best regards LAYF

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm

You need practise spelling practise? :P (sorry, couldn't help my self)
I guess it will, it just kinda suprised me just how bad I was :P
But seems I have to study the game updates much closer then..
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm

if you don't like one tool, try another. Everybody has his style. While Looksatyoufunny is a pixel-painter and does very nice graphics with it, I used to use vector graphics. Both have their advantages. Others are even using animation software to create skeleton models so it is easier to create new stances on their chars. Just look for good tools. This, and doing it more often or for a long time makes it easier. :)
:zzz:

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Nerre wrote:if you don't like one tool, try another. Everybody has his style. While Looksatyoufunny is a pixel-painter and does very nice graphics with it, I used to use vector graphics. Both have their advantages. Others are even using animation software to create skeleton models so it is easier to create new stances on their chars. Just look for good tools. This, and doing it more often or for a long time makes it easier. :)
I have actuealt considered starting using Toon boom studio, for skeletal and vector... but im not sure yet.

I like GIMP, it's free and powerfull enough for most things... its not the worlds best user interface, but its becomed far better than it used to be, adn ther are a ton of tutorials out there for it.
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:15 am

If you're going to do a lot of freehand drawing, a cheap (£25) tablet is a brilliant thing to invest in and just makes it some much easier to draw things compared to using a mouse. Or you can draw on paper and scan it in as your background and just add the grids and sprites as a layer over the top. Drawing with a mouse can be annoying as hell!

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 am

I drew my map for my city... and then took a photo of it. LOL!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 am

lingrem wrote:I drew my map for my city... and then took a photo of it. LOL!
AAARGH.. A map... and I have not seen it...

HULK SMASH!!!!

Hehe.. guess its a secret to the players map :S
-Best regards LAYF

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 pm

if only I had time, I had this idea about a zombie Apocalypse game..... but no time what so ever :?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 pm

askstoomuch wrote:if only I had time, I had this idea about a zombie Apocalypse game..... but no time what so ever :?
Aww, I really want to play this one. I will give you 1/10 of my free time. Is that enough for it? o:)
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:08 pm

In my case it's a combination of not having any time and making way too much work for myself. Example: I decide to make the old CTF backgrounds look nicer. I get done and decide, screw that I'm going to redo the entire thing from scratch. Which I do... but then the sprites look out of place. Solution: make entirely new sprites that are far more complicated and more challenging to pose (I really need to learn how to use vector art and skeletal animation models in order to do what I want). Okay, so sprites are done, time to start the game... but static backgrounds are sooo boring. I know, I'll make it a sunset scene which the background gradually shifting color and the direction of the shadows changing as the game goes on (and of course keeping the lighting on the trees and objects consistent with the rest of the background).

So... yeah... I make too much work for myself. If I'm going to do something remotely artsy, I'm not going to be satisfied unless it looks just right.

Now take the limited time I have after working fairly long days and divide that up between continuing to work on the forum, working on the image set, working on BotWalter, continuing to research grad school, managing the chat, and keeping myself sane. As much as I want to I simply can't find the time to make a game.

If I had the time, I would love to at least run a game of CTF. What I would really like to do though is FAR more ambitious. I would like to run a pretty free-form game like Ratha's Goblins Defense from keenspot, but upgrade the sprites and backgrounds to match with the art style I've used in my new CTF stuff. In order to do it though I'm going to need to learn vector drawing and skeletal animation, but if I can figure that out and if I have a lighter week with other stuff I may try to start to put together the maps and rule set. If anyone has any resources on vector drawing or skeletal animation models I'd love to see them.

The scary part will be if I actually find the time to do it... my head may very well explode
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

I'mBob wrote:
askstoomuch wrote:if only I had time, I had this idea about a zombie Apocalypse game..... but no time what so ever :?
Aww, I really want to play this one. I will give you 1/10 of my free time. Is that enough for it? o:)
► Show Spoiler
it would have been fun, the idea was one person starts off in the game just a normal day then bam zombies,
you need to survive and to so this you need to be fed hydrated and armed (stats to keep high so you don't die )
the original player goes trough the game which would have been some kind of a sandbox, looking for supplies weapons, food and water to survive, medical equipment anything that will help him survive.
while he looks he might run into other people (played by players) that might kill him take his stuff, join up with him or simply pattern ways

sucks I don't have time this would be real fun to make
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

Thats sad, it sounds fun.
Well... maybee we become luckey in the future?
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:02 am

Rules of my game
Please review, check for consistency and spelling.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 am

I've always kind of wanted to DM. But I've never been good at coming up with real plots. Back when I was able to write (before medical issues made that part of my brain stop working) I wrote short and silly fanfics. Someone else's characters. Usually using someone else's plot as a jumping-off point. I had fun. I made people laugh. I came up with some good stories. But rarely anything with much substance.

I've never been good with a blank canvas. I need something to start with. Even more so now that the creative part of my brain is so hampered.

I did sort of do it once. It was a fanfic, actually. I came up with a scenario, figured out as much as I could about what was going on at the beginning of the story (who was who, what the bad guys were up to, where everyone was, etc.) and then let the readers decide what the main character did at the end of every post, as she tried to investigate and unravel the plot. (I took suggestions, then put them up for a vote.) It was a lot of fun. But it seems to have been a one-off event. I haven't had any suitable ideas since.

I don't have many D&D books and I haven't played enough to feel like I know the rules as well as I should. (I know, I know - others are having fun running D&D games when they know even less than I do. And I admire that. I'm really enjoying Festival of Fools. But I personally won't feel comfortable running a game without the feeling that I know what I'm doing.) I did consider following in Bob's footsteps and getting one of those premade D&D adventures, but... IDK. *shrug*

I'd like to see CTF again, but I'm not sure I'd want to run it (even if Dusk was willing to let me take it and run).

So... I don't know. I guess most of it boils down to lack of proper creativity.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 am

gamecreator wrote:Rules of my game
Please review, check for consistency and spelling.
Will look them through a bit later :)

Wares- Ah, yea that can be a game stopper, sadly I dont have any advice besides "read alot" but I guess you allready do that so :S
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Okay... I have looked through the rules you suggested Gamecreator. And overall they look fine and manageable. One thing do... the Light, unless you have a algorithm programmed to do it for you, ItÔÇÖll be a lot of graphic to manage. Not impossible, but it will take an extra toll on your time, and put in a open field for errors...

Just saying... but other then that, it looks good :)

Just my 0,02$

EDIT:
Oh, yea.. andy your Teleport spell... costing 5 MP and having random target location. then fatal at entering rocks might be a bit to harch (depents on how much rock there is in your game) might change it so that you are ejected to neares rock free hexagon. taking 1 damage per hexagon passed this way... or something the like!
-Best regards LAYF

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:One thing do... the Light, unless you have a algorithm programmed to do it for you, ItÔÇÖll be a lot of graphic to manage. Not impossible, but it will take an extra toll on your time, and put in a open field for errors...
It is some routine work, but not that much.
LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Oh, yea.. andy your Teleport spell... costing 5 MP and having random target location. then fatal at entering rocks might be a bit to harch (depents on how much rock there is in your game) might change it so that you are ejected to neares rock free hexagon. taking 1 damage per hexagon passed this way... or something the like!
There will be a few rock tiles (if any), something around 1/40 to 1/50 of all tiles. At the same time teleport is a perfect escape spell, hence the cost.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Why donÔÇÖt people create games?

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 am

AccursedBiscuit wrote:I'm actually currently working on something like that. LAYF lent me a whole bunch of resources, like game mechanics, rules, maps, art, etc. I think I'm gonna use that as base, because it's been pretty much proven to work, people play those games a lot. Then I can work on it from there, making it my very own once I get the feel of being a GM. Thanks guys!
I was wondering... how is this comming along?
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:59 am

Double post, i know... but its 4 days appart... so...

m0rt: I was wondering, the Graphics game you made on the old forum... is that something you plan to take up again some time?
(I loved that game :D)
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 am

So... this thread has gotten me to thinking.

I'm actually considering starting a game. I've got a few basic ideas. It involves super powers in modern Manhattan. (Think along the lines of Freedom Force and Wild Cards.)

I'll have a small handful of players wandering through the city, doing what they will. Text-based, with the focus on description and storytelling. (Akin to Festival of Fools.)

But I'm thinking I want to toss the rulebooks. No math. No hard definitions. Each player defines their own powerset, subject to GM approval. As long as it's a cohesive concept and not obviously overpowered, I'll probably go with it. And then, as situations arise, they're free to attempt whatever innovative uses for their powers they can come up with. I'll decide what works and how well, based on context, what makes sense to me, and rule-of-thumb dice rolls as necessary. It means a lot more flexibility for players and the ability to try new and unexpected things. But it also means that players will have to accept my rulings on effects.

I've got that much sorted. But now I need to do the hard stuff: Populating the city (good guys, bad guys, people who are just out for themselves, and anyone else who should be around), figuring out what everyone's up to, and coming up with some sort of plot.

I'll keep an eye on God School, whenever that gets around to the bits I need, but thoughts, advice, and offers of help are very welcome. (I might end up starting a new thread over in Recruitment, depending on if and how things develop.)

Right now, though, I'm still getting over this stupid cold, so all this is just going to have to percolate in the back of my head for a while.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

Sound like a realy cool idea... My "The horde" dont have a rule book. and i personly think its going great....

The characters you look for... are there any restrictions? (may they be over/super natural?, may they be evil and cruell inbto the depths of theire hards or good as silk to the touch of skin?)
-Best regards LAYF