Why donÔÇÖt people create? GM's and players how is it going?

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Why donÔÇÖt people create? GM's and players how is it going?

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

Okay.

Soon the god school is coming up again, and thatÔÇÖs great.
But, what are the main reasons games are not created?

IÔÇÖm honestly curious to know this, as I, personally find running games to be great deal of fun...
First I thought it might be lack of ideas or (in the case of graphic games graphic parts) but, the resource thread has less than 700 views. So, I guess itÔÇÖs not that...

Anyone willing to tell the tale, about why they do not create games?
Then, other game creators can come with advice and such...
Last edited by LAYF on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Why donÔÇÖt people create games?

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

I have lofty plans and even loftier ideas, but I am so lacking in artistry that I am unable to convince myself to actually proceed with any of them. I created the falling game in the last forum, but, I wasn't that impressed with it, although i did have some people playing. The idea is there if someone would want to try to recreate it, hopefully better than I did. So, lots of ideas, but lacking the magical skill to draw.

I suppose i should give more details:

I'm a crazy person, with crazy ideas....craziness...

I'm a mechanical Engineer and I am very good at drafting, sketching and 3D objects. However, due to my training to become said Engineer, i was taught that non-mathematical lines are technically evil and I've never been able to teach myself to overcome such a notion.

If i ever actually decide to be productive at my job, a few times a day minimum, then I have no time.

But in actuality, I have all the time in the world, I am on here nigh constantly.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am

I have so many ideas, and well I can make pic, I just don't have the time
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 am

I believe it's all about time.
Making games is a lot of effort and requires a lot of time, it's not so easy. (Also not so hard).
Not everyone have time to make games and update them enough.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

jrlans
Whispers Softly

Post by jrlans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 am

I'm in the process of making one, but I don't know if it'll be good enough to show. Total lack of drawing and writing abilities.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

I'd also be keen to hear the reasons :) I know I have 3 games on the go now (almost 4 with God School!), but I had a big confidence hurdle to get over before I posted my first game and I worried A LOT about whether it would go down ok and whether people would have fun or whether no-one would sign up and everyone would yell at me for making something crap, especially since I'd never played a forum game up to that point and had never GM'd anything at all in my life.

Suffice it to say that as soon as I got started I realised that there was actually very little to worry about and that the folk in this forum (as they are in SOOO many other ways) were massively supportive and very nice about it all while I learned the basics (hell, I forgot to add loot to my first game)! And I had a great time running the game so I made another one (and then another two) and I'm enjoying those ones even more :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

I wonder if this is a lot of the reason people don't actually produce them though, fear of them not being good enough. I tried to create a list of willing Beta-Testers. People willing to test a game in order to work out the kinks, and also to see if there is any interest in people playing. I would hate to see someone spend 100+ hours making a game and then there be no interest in it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:17 am

But you shouldn't need to spend 100+ hours on your first game. Start small and simple and go from there. Make a real game for people to play (albeit a mini one) and use that to sort out your ruleset and stuff - if you tell people it's a mini-adventure and that you're just trying to get a feel for running one then they'll be cool with it. I think people will be happier playing a 'real' mini game than 'beta testing mechanics'.

It might be a matter of semantics, but bear in mind most people don't care about balancing stats for you half as much as they care about getting cool stuff and doing awesome stuff with it.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

As a man who holds his shovel proudly, I will agree with you...I think my biggest problem has always been wording.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Hmm, well yea time is something we canÔÇÖt help.

But the confident in your games, game art and writing. what thinks said:

I donÔÇÖt think anyone have anything to fear from making games here, people are extremely supportive on this forum, and if youÔÇÖre nervous about not being able to keep it up, tell so in the signup, say that this is your first game, that youÔÇÖd like for a game with few players, and that itÔÇÖs a test of your own skillÔÇÖs... while itÔÇÖs a sad thing to have to stop a game, no one will be angry about it, more likely, they will be happy you tried.

Game art, well as said, there is the resource thread, where there are a lot of art already, and people willing to make art if you ask nicely, besides that.. People are supportive here, you trying is more important than you art skillÔÇÖs. and, there are also artless games in here, they are also popular.

Writing, well, spelling and such is a problem some of have, people tend to be nice in how they point it out or help you, if its ideas, then again, the resource thread have a place for that.. And thereÔÇÖs the possibility to create games that do not require so much writing (unless you want to add flavor text) such as minesweeper and the hunt game (was it not the hun it was called?, the grid based game where two teem competed?) anyways...

And also, I hope the god school will help a lot of people :)
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am

I hope god school will help too :)

I'd like the final assignment to be bringing everything together and creating a mini adventure which they can open up to a small number of players, so hopefully we'll get there!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:30 am

Actually, i just had a thought, I don't know how many of you read OoTS..

Anyways, they came out with a boardgame/cardgame which, being a fan, i own.

Would there be any interest in playing that?

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

BadgeAddict wrote:Actually, i just had a thought, I don't know how many of you read OoTS..

Anyways, they came out with a boardgame/cardgame which, being a fan, i own.

Would there be any interest in playing that?
Ooh! Me!
I like this game, but it is long so I hope we can finish it in less than 2 years... :roll:

Also, I think it is a card game, it have no board.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

thinkslogically wrote:I hope god school will help too :)

I'd like the final assignment to be bringing everything together and creating a mini adventure which they can open up to a small number of players, so hopefully we'll get there!
That'd be great, but how will you do that, as i understand, you'll use only 2 weeks on the whole thing? or am i wrong? i must admit, im a bit lost on the scheduele thing...
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Ah no - it's one lesson per week, so it'll last probably 4-6 months :) There's loads of time to get things sorted out, I'm just wanting to get my chunks done in advance cos I know my schedule is going to be pretty full on soon.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 pm

ah okay... do you have an updated list on all lessons and order of them?
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Aye, it's the latest list in the God School thread, but subject to change until we get going.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm

I've never really felt as a creative sort and my main strenght in the game I run is that I tend to have a pretty good memory, so most of the rules I can throw off without problems. But I know that I never really felt like making one because I didn't think I was able to (I blame the graphic game people!) But after a big luck streak where I got into quite a lot of games both new and still running I kinda felt obliged to give something back. I'm still worried it's gonna suck and I'll just screw it up big time either by limiting the freedom of the players or giving them too much freedom so they have no clue about what to do. It's still relatively new so wether or not I'm on the right way, I can't say. But I haven't heard any complains except that it would be nice If I actually number my updates and people seems nice so far (except for someone is almost hitting on a npc from the get go.. People are also extremely willing to help on the forum, so that shouldn't be a thing to scare you away. :)

Am I rambling? O,o
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:34 pm

((Stop dragging me into conversations! It's NOT my fault that Mike was the first to the Tavern, and you're the one who had Morgan wake up with a man over her and he was blushing already and teased first!))

I had a hard time getting my game started because I'm terrified of the mechanics. I still am, but I did it anyway. I'm not a huge fan of combat, so I tend to avoid playing those games and wouldn't design one that is combat-oriented. I like story. But was scared of giving it a go, then I just had to wait to get enough motivation to sit my butt down and plan out what I wanted to plan out, as it took a lot of time.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Theis2 wrote: Am I rambling? O,o
Yes... but we are used to it...

;)

Nah.. from the looks of it you'r game is going great :) i like to read it :)
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I also think that planning and time consumed are the keywords as to why people don't run games. Even if it's just a simple one, it still needs preparation. And well, if you want to make a complex one, then it will take a lot more time to flesh out the most important details...

I'm sure that after another month or two as the new forum gradually becomes more vivid, there will be more people who will feed the game-hungry masses... :)
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 pm

In my case? It's more that I'm a perfectionist. I'm still aiming to create a game, it's just that I'm still working on familiarizing myself with the system I want to use (Pathfinder), and I'm going to darn well know what I'm doing before I start; I want to run it right, not play it by ear.

Also, I want to actually have some plans in place before I start it. I've got a general idea of what I want to do, but I still need to hammer out some details before I can even think of looking for players.

EDIT: Extrapolated a little.
Last edited by Nioca on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 pm

The only game I've ever DM'd crashed and burned after the other players chose me to take over for the previous DM. Still, this doesn't fill me with confidence that any game I DM'd would do much better.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Nioca wrote:In my case? It's more that I'm a perfectionist. I'm still aiming to create a game, it's just that I'm still working on familiarizing myself with the system I want to use (Pathfinder), and I'm going to darn well know what I'm doing before I start; I want to run it right, not play it by ear.

Also, I want to actually have some plans in place before I start it. I've got a general idea of what I want to do, but I still need to hammer out some details before I can even think of looking for players.

And then us players will ruin yer perfection. >:D

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:
Nioca wrote:In my case? It's more that I'm a perfectionist. I'm still aiming to create a game, it's just that I'm still working on familiarizing myself with the system I want to use (Pathfinder), and I'm going to darn well know what I'm doing before I start; I want to run it right, not play it by ear.

And then us players will ruin yer perfection. >:D
Every plan is perfect... untill first encounter...
-Best regards LAYF