Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:02 am

((If nothing else is going to happen or be discussed?))

The group begin making preparation to leave and are on the road heading back toward Grenmyr. They leave early enough that a handful of other people walking that direction join them, mostly staying to themselves at first but Celus gets them talking and by the end of the night as the group makes camp at the midway point everyone is friendly enough. There are another dozen or so individuals at the campsite when they arrive, some heading east and some heading west.

Kant just walks, sometimes stumbling. He doesn't join in the conversations but does seem to be becoming more aware of his surroundings now that he has a goal. He eats lunch eagerly but doesn't want to spend much time resting. He has to be convinced to stop for the night.

((Okay, so everyone but Joe was literally just on this road and are very familiar with the process. You've got seven more days of travel ahead to get to Uppner and Kant's home. Can I get... 4 d20 rolls please.

Anyone doing anything along the way, beyond the usual? Are you setting a watch? Every other night you'll be in a town, though the only one with anything like defenses is Timmer (but you're known there).))

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:30 am

Before leavong the town for good, is the direction we will be going a similar direction to the one took to the spot of battle? Like is the battle north and we are going north? Or is it opposite? Are the woods connected in any way?

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:00 am

Jaq will do his trance right away, and then do watch until dawn.
When he is doing watch, he will continue to work on exercising his new arm.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:39 am

((@Lost, I will refer you to the first map at the very top of the OOC page. You are on the road that goes northeast from Stenrek then continues east to Grenmyr. This is exactly the same road Joe walked back on about 10 days ago. You are heading to Grenmyr which is where the big battle took place. The forest is solid from the river which Grenmyr sits on all the way to the west coast.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20320

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:45 am

Kroshav has added a bit of lance work into his training, setting a clod of dirt atop a javelin thrust into the ground and practicing his and Ealu's approach and seeking to hit the clod with the tip of his lance.

Lance practice: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16


It's going alright, but there's room for improvement, so he's keeping at it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 am

Ealu enjoys the practice as well.

((No one wants to roll those d20s? :)))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20320

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:01 am

((I was going to leave it to Joe or Cary, since we'd been doing a bunch recently.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 am

Rodgeir wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:39 am
((@Lost, I will refer you to the first map at the very top of the OOC page. You are on the road that goes northeast from Stenrek then continues east to Grenmyr. This is exactly the same road Joe walked back on about 10 days ago. You are heading to Grenmyr which is where the big battle took place. The forest is solid from the river which Grenmyr sits on all the way to the west coast.))
...Okay but I don’t know where she fought the hag at? Is it in a similar direction or not?

Each night out of a town Joe will conjure a hut for them to sleep in, and every time they come to town she will ask them if they have seen someone with a newborn babe.



Here are the d20s
1d20 = [9] = 9 1d20 = [2] = 2 1d20 = [1] = 1 1d20 = [1] = 1

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am

((Oh, you meant Joe's scuffle with the hag? It would have been northeast of the town which is on the road. The road mostly heads east and a bit south. So the answer is a definitive sorta.

Also, wow those are some bad rolls.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20320

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 am

((0.45% chance to get no higher than a 13 total when rolling 4d20.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 am

((Glad we are visiting in the left tail of the probability curve here...))

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5335

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 am

Cary is going to work on her sword work....
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:39 pm

In the morning, when everyone else is waking up, Jaq will ask (Joe I think has it) Joe if he can see and activate the library magic statue thing to see what direction it is going to head if it is allowed. He will ask again how it is activated and stopped. He will only activate it long enough to get a clue on which direction it is heading. Once they are much further up the road (Several days) he will do the same again and try to figure out by the difference in direction and angles, how far away this library might actually be.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:10 am

The first night everyone tries to climb into Joe's hut and it disappears with a puff. Joe remembers that it can only have 9 people inside it so someone will always need to be outside. Everyone else, if they want, manages to cram inside Joe's magical hut. It is pretty tight and the smell of so many packed bodies quickly becomes, well, breathtaking. It is warm and dry though. As the ground is mostly dry Celus and Indra offer to stay outside the hut and Dama joins them, dragging along Jolly who grumbles at having to sleep in the cold to which Dama says something that shuts him up and reddens his face. The next three days are cool at night but warm and dry during the day. On the fourth day brings back the cold drizzle.

In their down times people engage in their own diversions, Kroshav practices his lance work, which is well received entertainment by those traveling with them, Cary swings her sword around by herself until Celus offers to spar with her and she joins the normal morning training, Joe keeps her eyes on the tree line but no hags erupt, Lurn contemplates his god and hands the little statuette to Jaq for experimentation and testing.

After doing his arm strengthening exercises the first night, Jaq activates the golem. At the word 'activate' in common the figurine warms slightly in Jaq's hand and a short, but taller than Joe, person appears in front of Joe. The figure has no distinct characteristics beyond being basically humanoid in form (arms, legs, head, torso, fingers). It is absolutely caked in dirt, chunks falling off it as it does a slow, stiff circle before returning it's eyeless focus to Jaq. It says, without a mouth, in a vaguely feminine voice,

"Ye hath taken mine summoner from the library. Thou must return mine summoner at once."

It repeats this several times until Jaq hands it the little statuette, which it takes smoothly, stating,

"Returning mine summoner."

It then turns and moves briskly north, northeast into the night and forest, dodging trees but mostly keeping a straight path. Jaq runs it down and deactivates it, taking back the statuette. On the fourth night, in the rain, Jaq repeats the process and the dirty little golem turns and runs to the north, northwest. Jaq is able to determine the 'library' must lay between those two points (between Gran and Timmer).

((@NSF, Give me an intelligence roll for all that geometry Jaq is trying to accomplish. Also give me a survival roll for another, related, reason.
Anyone doing anything in the towns you visit.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 13769
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:48 am

With no signs of trouble, Lurns decides to prepare Augury instead of Inflict Wounds, and the next night sets himself down with the enchanted dice, focusing on the spell, and asks of his god, "Should we maintain our hunt for the hag?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 am

Lurn rolls a 3 and a 4, which to Lurn's mind means nothing good nor bad will come from hunting for the hag in the next 30 minutes.

((I am not sure how to apply the 'specific course of action that you plan to take within the next 30 minutes'. At the time you ask the question you aren't 30 minutes from moving, but perhaps Lurn is seeing it as an ongoing activity? I will interpret it as the latter, but it still only applies to the next 30 minutes.))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:24 am


User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5335

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:29 am

Cary obviously become interested in this figure / Golem combination and inquire Jaq about it..."Where did you get this...since it seems to be rather interested in going somewhere..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 am

"It is pretty interesting, isn't it?" Jaq nods with a smile to Cary and holds the item up so she can look at it. "While we were travelling to that cursed demon's lair, we ended up running across some goblins. This was all before the war started. They were surprisingly non-violent and were willing to do some trading. This little figurine is from the goblins. I guess they didn't find it worthwhile to them. I'm a bit intrigued by it.
I'd be interested in following it at some point. A hidden library or a library ruins from ages ago. Either way. Might be interesting if we head down this way again after the hag hunt. Searching ruins, finding old artifacts or items or books always intrigues me. You haven't heard of a library in this region anywhere, have you?"

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am

Joe will ritually cast identify on the figurine

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:56 am

Once he knows that Joe wants to check out the figure, he hands it over to her rather than giving it back to Lurn right away. "Just give it back to Lurn when you are done with it."

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5335

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:10 pm

NotStickFigures wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:42 am
"It is pretty interesting, isn't it?" Jaq nods with a smile to Cary and holds the item up so she can look at it. "While we were travelling to that cursed demon's lair, we ended up running across some goblins. This was all before the war started. They were surprisingly non-violent and were willing to do some trading. This little figurine is from the goblins. I guess they didn't find it worthwhile to them. I'm a bit intrigued by it.
I'd be interested in following it at some point. A hidden library or a library ruins from ages ago. Either way. Might be interesting if we head down this way again after the hag hunt. Searching ruins, finding old artifacts or items or books always intrigues me. You haven't heard of a library in this region anywhere, have you?"
Cary will nod her head..."Sorry didn't grow up in these parts but let me think about a lost library with magical attributes for a moment..."
History Check: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17


Cary will watch Joe cast identify...but something else is also distracting her...something in the woods...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6887

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:20 pm

Jaq guesses it must be pretty far away, though this side of the mountains. He doesn't know enough about the forest to make much more of a guess, maybe Ves would have had a better idea.

Joe, seeing the little golem, decides to identify it. Jaq hands it over gently admonishing the halfling to return it to Lurn rather than letting it's golem run off with it like last time.

Joe determines the item is a library golem summoner. It is made to summon a specific golem (#143) to an unoccupied location within 5ft of the summoner upon using it's command word. The summoner has a 4 hour limit on use every 24 hours after which the golem will unsummon until the summoner has fully recharged.

Cary has never heard of any libraries in the estimated location provided by Jaq. As far as she knows the area has been forest since at least well before the Empire came to enlighten the peoples living in the area. She then politely leaves to use the restroom commune with nature.

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5335

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Lol
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20320

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:26 pm

"Hey, that's pretty handy, Joe! We paid a guy to identify a bunch of stuff we came across after the war. Jaq, was there anything else we didn't get looked at?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply