Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:55 am

"Oh... that sounds... challenging. I can maybe have Ealu talk to them?"

"Oh, sure, between nation politicking and whatnot, but full on invasion and murder isn't something the Fist is just going to step back and watch. A couple of my friends are Duchy citizens, and got conscripted, so I joined up to keep an eye on them. Breakfast sounds good to me!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5337

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:09 am

"Well...you seem to be doing some morning exercises...do you want to finish or should we head in now?"

Cary will either follow the paladin in, or if he keeps exercising, sit down and pull out an envelope to start reading the contents as she waits...

"Oh, about Ursla...if your steed can convince her that deer are not dangerous then...please go ahead...although maybe Ursla just doesn't like me..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:23 am

"I'm almost done."

Kroshav picks up where he left off.

<Ealu, is there another horse in there named Ursula? She is with the lady who gave you and Charlie the carrot. Does she like her rider? Her rider says she get spooked by deer, those things we saw the other day, the males have the trees growing out of their head?>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:29 am

((The Fist don't have Chapter Houses, they are more like knights errant (right Spider?). They are mobile and find shelter at established temples to their five gods. They seek to fullfil the wills of their gods as best they can, so getting involved in politics might happen (again check in Spider?).

Oh there was also bread, honey, milk, sliced meats and fruits! I ran out of time writing that!))

The husband blinks on hearing Joe then slowly looks at her. He says,

"Ya? My house? Why?"

He doesn't seem to be tracking what's going on well.

Kroshav gets after a few seconds,

<Yes, Ursala is here. She says her rider is nice enough. She says the deer jumped out and said things. Mean things. I think she is not telling the truth.>

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:42 am

((Yeah, that's in line with what I had in mind, but it's your world, so feel free to subvert my expectations if it fits your story! I don't think that Kroshav would be put off at mention of a chapter house, there are likely places where old paladins of the order retire from active campaigning and serve at one of the temples of the Five, and work to train or mentor new prospects. Sir Tarneth isn't quite there yet, but it's probably something he's considering in the next 5-10 years. Getting involved in politics certainly could happen, and some members of the order may be much more likely to do so, but that isn't Kroshav.))

<About the deer, or about her rider?>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 325

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:55 am

”Ah think it maybeh possible she may have gone thar.”

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 am

((Nah, nothing to subvert! We agreed to the setup when you joined. I just wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly.))

<Mostly the deer. Charlie says we don't speak deer so she is lying and she says that just because Charlie doesn't speak deer doesn't mean she doesn't speak deer... Now they are angry at each other.>

From the barn some loud whinnying can be heard.
-
"Ya do? Of course... Bell woulda went home. That's it, she went home."

The man rises unsteadily and moves to the bars of the cell while the guard looks on with mild interest, sipping a cup of something warm and steaming before asking,

"Guessing you know'm? Ya can have'm if ya promise to get him out of town and make sure he don't harass folks."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:46 am

"Ursula says the deer was mean to her, but now she's arguing with Charlie, who says that she can't speak deer. I'm gonna go calm everyone down."

He scratches his side, "If you really need to know if she's lying about the deer thing, I can question her..."

(( :lol: ))

He'll go in and speak calmly to Charlie and scratch him between the ears.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 325

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:46 am

“Ah will try ta bring ‘im peace. Ah aim ta find ‘em”

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:59 am

Charlie snorts a few times and turns to have his horsy flanks in Ursula's direction but calms quickly down from the scratching and seems to completely have forgotten whatever it was that was bothering him.

-
"Good enough. If he ends up in here again, ya gonna end up in the other cell, ya follow?"

He takes another sip and lets the unsteady man out of the cell and sighs as he helps him to the door. He snags an apple and a bit of bread from his tray and forces them into the man's hands saying,

"Eat something man. Ya got a walk ahead of ya and ya can't do that on nothing but air."

The husband regards the bread and apple but doesn't eat either one as he stumbles out into the morning and mud, turning to wait for Joe.

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:27 am

Jaq finishes his breakfast and looks around to see if he ate quickly again or if everyone else is finished. He will pay for his breakfast, "I am going to head outside a bit, see if the weather has gotten any better today. He will wait to see if anyone gets up to go along, otherwise he'll head out alone.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:36 am

Dama will tag along with Jaq while Jolly, Celus and Indra chat.

When they get outside and Dama says,

"Thank the heavens the rain stopped! What we up to Jaq?"

She gives Jaq a wink and slides her thumb nail down her cheek before making a fist with the thumb in it as she stretches.

Jaq recognizes she is asking in thieves cant,

"What is the mark?"

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:17 am

Jaq, a bit suprised by the question in theives cant, (He has figured out she is a member already, he just didn't expect her to use the cant here) pauses a few seconds and then thinks that maybe it's a test by her to see how he might respond?

He answers, "I'm really sick of the rain, trudging in a muddy forest is not my idea of fun." as he talks he moves his right hand to his left elbow and with the two smallest fingers makes a swiping motion, twice. One of the many ways of saying 'no, no" in the cant.

He then looks around to make sure no one is nearby and when they have walked a bit away from any of the buildings he replies quietly, "Nothing like that, Dama. No one here is deserving of anything problems after the war and all." With a smile he adds, "I don't usually use my talents like that. Now if there was someone treating these folks badly due to the war, I'd not mind taking him down a peg or two, but that's also not really our problem. What did you do before this whole war thing got us all out of our element?"

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5337

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:51 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:46 am
"Ursula says the deer was mean to her, but now she's arguing with Charlie, who says that she can't speak deer. I'm gonna go calm everyone down."

He scratches his side, "If you really need to know if she's lying about the deer thing, I can question her..."

(( :lol: ))

He'll go in and speak calmly to Charlie and scratch him between the ears.
Cary herself had risen at the whining just because of some innate training somewhere that usually meant something was off in the stable (like a nasty beast had prowled nearby)..."Er...sorry not used to having the horses argue about 'deer' speak..."

She also walks in and looks at Ursla..."You are a horse...an Imperial calvary horse...what in the hell do you care what a damn deer says to you? Your trained to charge into danger...they run from overly enthusiastic bunny rabbits who thump on tree stumps" Cary stops ponders for a second and then asks the paladin and Ealu

"Actually what did this supposedly dark tongue deer say?"

Cary stares down at the paper and stares at it a moment before saying..."Since it seems nothing is what it seems in these woods...Hags hiding a baby in their belly but pretending to be pregnant and then spending time going through labor and murdering the mother...makes no damn sense..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 325

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:53 am

"...Ah doubt tha."

"Alright lets go get meh fri'nds, thay goin' ta help. 'opefully we can find 'er n tha babe."
Joe goes to the inn to find the others. She waves at Jaq and the others.

"'Ello, Ah hope ye can join meh in tryin' ta find 'er again. This be 'er husb'nd. A'm goin' ta get tha oth'rs." Joe goes over to find the others in the inn.

Her eyes gaze over Kroshav and Cary and she walks over to Kroshav "Kroshav, ye abou' ready? We should go try ta find 'er again."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:18 am

Dama follows and smiles wickedly,

"Well just was looking for something to do to break up the morning. What's I do? Bad things Jaq, lots of bad things."

Joe begins to move to the boarding house, the husband moving slowly behind her, looking frequently towards the woods.

((Cary honestly thinks the hag was 'hiding' the baby she ate?))

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:10 am

"Well, bad things in one person's eyes isn't all that bad in others. There are a lot of grey areas in the world. It's not all good or bad like most paladin's think."
He shrugs and continues, "Overall, I think I try to do the right thing, for myself and for others. Keep a good balance in life. And you gotta treat those in your life that you care about, treat them well."

"Who'd a thought you would get me thinking all philosophy this morning."

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 325

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am

”We’ll do our best ta find ‘er. Ah’d hope we can....”

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Dama looks at Jaq then gives a bemused snort,

"You been round that priest and paladin too much. Nah, ain't gonna defend what I did with bullshit excuses, time and distance made all that not matter anyhow. I did bad things to people that didn't deserve it. Did it a lot."
-
The husband stumbles after Joe, dropping the apple in the mud without a thought. He says,

"Ya, Bell'd go home. That's where she'd be. Just wanted to go home."

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5337

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:22 pm

The Lost wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:53 am


Her eyes gaze over Kroshav and Cary and she walks over to Kroshav "Kroshav, ye abou' ready? We should go try ta find 'er again."

“Ah Shaldia I see you do hold grudges” Cary comments dryly then looks over at the poor husband...”By the Gods please tell me your taking him to family...”
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
Rodgeir
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6896

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:34 pm

The husband's eyes track over to Cary,

"Ya? Bell's at home she says, taking me to see her and the babe."

His eyes shift back to the east.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20324

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:02 pm

<Ealu, can you ask what the deer said? The Lieutenant would like to know.>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2998
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:06 pm

"You are right. They may have changed me a bit. I certainly was a bit more of a scammer back in the day, but if people were willing to pay good money for goods because I talked something up a bit, well.....they were usually happy with their purchases. I don't think I every told you, not that long ago while we were traveling some goblins thought they had the upper hand on us and wanted to do some sales and trading. We got some odd items from them, but they ended up getting an elixir from us that was some berry colored water that was going to give their leader the persuasion and might to get the best goblin ladies to be chasing them to get him naked. Hopefully he has a woman now...and not something chopped off by being an overconfident ass towards his chosen ladies." He gives a wave to Joe and she moves past and into the inn.

"Who do you think Kroshav is talking with? Looks like an Elven Soldier. Seen the likes of her in Stenrek often enough. Let's go see what she wants."

The Lost
Is Heard Often
Posts: 325

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:22 pm

”Ah think she mayhaps gone ‘ome. ‘Specially if it be seclud’d enough.



(To cary) ...Ah’ll talk ta ye aft’r this mess be sort’d.”

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 5337

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:35 pm

The Lost wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:22 pm
(To cary) ...Ah’ll talk ta ye aft’r this mess be sort’d.”
Cary's eyes go about three shades darker at the bearded creature in front of her and then turns her attention to the husband.
"So do your folks live nearby...maybe a sister or a brother? Some where she may have gone to look for you hoping you had gone to say with family?"
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Post Reply