Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Kroshav says a quick prayer to The Five before filling a plate and eating with gusto. After a damp night last night, a hot meal at a table and promise of proper shelter for perhaps the last time for the next few weeks has him in good spirits.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Lurn gives his thanks, then commits his own rituals before setting to the meal, chuckling lightly at Grey's behaviour.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Kroshav has finished his portion and is attempting to have good manners and not take advantage of his hosts hospitality, but his golden eyes keep drifting towards Lurns untouched plate as the firbolg mutters over it.

"What was it you said you farm? Apples and goats?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 am

Tom looks over from Ves and Cassie's conversation, the smile on his lips turning a bit sour.

"Nope, not apples or goats. We get apples some folks south of the road in exchange for tubers. We grow mostly potatoes, yams and beets. This is good land for'm! We got a few cows, horses, ox and chickens but no more goats. Had a dozen head before Grey let'm wander into the woods. Only found parts of two."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:13 am

"Well, that sounds problematic. Ves, think we'll be able to avoid the beasts that did it?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 am

"Oh. Well... If we find any of the others, we'll try to bring them back to you."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 am

Tom smiles,

"Whatever did its probably long gone and Ves'll lead ya right! Don't rightly know what did it but could have been anything from pack of wolves or wild dogs to a dragon!" He gives Ves a wink. "Whatever ya find of them I don't want back!"

Jolly pauses in his eating and looks over at Tom then to Ves.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:21 am

"No I can't imagine I want to carry that around either. I'll pay you for the horses before we go though. See if that won't help replace a couple of them at least! These things happen unfortunately, but they're often the lessons that stick."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 am

Tom tosses a piece of crust at Grey playfully,

"It'd better!"
----
After some lively discussion, mostly from the party, Cassie and Tom things wrap up and Tom gets a read on how long Ves is going to be gone ((two weeks and maybe a couple days)) and gives a total of 9 gold. If you are gone longer or shorter you'll settle up then, and if you don't make it back he gets the horses and gear.

Once that is settled he takes you back to the barn and wishes you a good night. Grey tags along but doesn't saying anything.

((Setting a guard? When do you want to head out? Anything special before bed?

He is giving you a rate of a silver per horse per day.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 am

Ves agrees and covers the fee for herself, Joe and Jolly.

She'll take a night watch as usual, just to keep in the habit more than anything.
1d20+3 = [16] = 19

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Kroshav counts out his dwindling gold for taking this job, and gives instructions on Charlie's care that would perhaps be insultingly patronizing if he weren't so earnestly sincere about making sure his horse is well cared for.

"Make sure he eats more than just oats, he's more pig than horse if you let him have as much as he wants. And make sure he gets a bit of a walk around each day, he gets cranky if he's in a stall too long. He likes scratches behind the ear, and right here... but on him.", Kroshav raises an arm to scratch as his armpit. "He likes getting petted on the nose, but if he snorts, he's done. If you keep petting, he might bite... unless you've got a sweet treat."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Tom listens an gives Kroshav a solid slap on the back,

"Charlie is gonna be fine! Cassie has a way with horses and we share some pasture cross the road so he'll get to be out in the sun everyday. Charlie is gonna probably have a better vacation than you! Get some rest tonight an' I an' Charlie will see ya off."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm

"Yeah, he's gonna be fine. Just fine.", Kroshav nods in relief.

((He'll get up early to take a dawn watch.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Jolly offers to take the first watch, sitting in the door of the barn staring north into the forest.

((Second watch left.))

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Lurn can take second watch.

((9 gold for 5 horses, so that's... 1.8 for each horse? Subtracting it from my sheet.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1886
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Jaq will assist with 2nd watch after he gets his hours of meditation in.

He will pay for his part of horse stabling, (can someone take 1.8 off my sheet please, on my phone)
"Thanks much for the fine meal."

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16371
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Joe will help clean the dishes before she heads to the barn. The harder dishes she casts presigigitation to clean them.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:30 am

One of the teenagers doing the clean up appreciates Joe's help, after dropping a plate when she first cast prestidigitation to clean it. He is duly impressed and thanks her with a cracking voice.

Accounts all settled the team head to their cozy spots in the barn. There is a lantern above the barn door that is allowed to burn low over the barn door, likely to ward of animals from the forest that provides 15ft of bright light and another 30ft of dim light. Jolly takes the first watch and stares in the direction of the dark mass of trees that aren't visible except by where they blot out stars on the horizon. His watch passes uneventfully and he wakes Lurn.

Perception: 1d20+7 = [3] = 10

Lurn keeps his eyes and ears open but after the big dinner mostly just tries to stay awake. A barn cat comes out and sits on his lap while he keeps watch, licking the blue giant's fur clean. Lurn wakes Ves and Jaq and together they keep watch. Ves is certain she hears something moving distantly and hestitantly in the forest but it doesn't get closer and eventually fades away. Ves wakes Kroshav and he spends the early watch together with Jaq. As the sun begins to come up the pair spot a small herd of deer moving across the field to the north before they startle and bound into the still dark woods.

Before the sun is fully up Tom enters the barn and says, not very quietly,

"Sun's up! Gets dark early in the woods so ya don't want to waste any time."

Jolly jerks awake with a curse. Grey walks in behind his father and starts milking one of the cows while Cassie and the teenagers are close behind, all with tasks to do.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:42 am

Lurn rouses easily, used to having spent years in a priest's life of rising with the sun, though morning prayers had long been substituted with those for meals and the dead. Stretching, he gathers his belongings and nods to the farm workers, "My thanks for your hospitality."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am

Kroshav admonishes Charlie to be a good boy.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1886
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 am

"Thank you, for one last night of sleeping indoors, and we will see you again soon."

Jaq gets ready quickly, packing up and psyching himself up for the long walking day.

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:05 am

Charlie headbutts Kroshav lightly in the universal sign of 'I am a good horse'.

"My pleasure. Y'all listen to what Ves tells ya! I'd offer ya breakfast but we don't normally fix that for another hour or so. Grey can probably send you off with some bread from last night and a bit of milk."

Grey looks up from the milking at his name being said and gives a nod before brushing his hands off and moving quickly out of the barn to return after a couple minutes with some loaves of bread under one arm and a few cups in the other. He fills the cups from the pail he was filling, giving Ves a shy smile as he hands her (and then everyone else) a cup, before returning to the milking. Tom hands the loaves to Ves, Kroshav and Jaq.

"Have fun out there and see ya on the otherside!"

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16371
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 am

"Yer welcome! It ain't much but Ah'd feel bad if Ah did nothin' aft'r tha meal ye gave us."


Joe cleans herself off after she gets out of the straw. "Hah Ah guess Ah overslept a bit, aye?" She grabs her things and looks around. She mutters to herself and sighs. "Ah wish Ruby be here with me, gettin' worri'd he may end up dead."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am

"How long you think he needed to get there and back? Is he gonna be able to find you?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16371
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:16 am

"Ah can resumm'n him at any time if he ain't dead. Ah do nay know how long it'll take fer him ta get the news to tha town. Ah'll wait a few more days, but this be first time been apart from him fer a long peri'd of time."

Post Reply