Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 am

"My mentor fought against bugbears years ago. He said they are tricky but lazy on their own. Not sure I'd take that bet against you."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 am

Fink shakes his head,

"We aren't sure where they have holed up but they mostly show up near Grenmyr along the river. The expeditions up there haven't found much of them, least that I have heard. Unless you're planning on camping that direction you'll likely avoid them. It's a big forest."

Almin shakes his head at Lurns comment, still scanning the woods to the north,

"From what I heard one of Grenmyr's mages fried half the bugbears when they tried to climb the walls, after that they scattered. Don't need an army, just a fireball."

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1886
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

Looking over at Ves he asks, "We aren't heading close to where they say the bugbear problem is, are we?"

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am

((Ves knows that you are not heading where they were a few days ago.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm

"Nah. We'll be fine. Theres plenty good hunting grounds in the woods round here that'll pose a bit more of a challenge for you folks without us needing to go anywhere near any bugbears."

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm

"Big fireball, get half of that number. Must be an impressive mage."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 am

"I honestly don't know exactly what happened, except there wasn't much fighting. They have some wizards on the garrison in Grenmyr but I don't know much about them. Lieutenant, you know anything?"

The elf gives a flat, "No."

The party continues east for another two hours and the village of Tall comes into sight. It's bigger than Timmer and Feltan but doesn't have a wall. Similar to Feltan it is surrounded by fields but still boarders the forest in the north. It's four in the afternoon.

The elven lieutenant looks at Ves expectantly. Jolly shifts uncomfortably.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:29 am

"Come on. I know a guy who'll take care of the horses for us for a bit. Runs a farm just down here a bit. Good guy."

We can probably camp on his land as well for the night, but if any of you need to pick up any last supplies before we head into the woods, you should probably do it now."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 am

Ves takes the party off the main road and heads north into Tall passing a couple of dozen homes before a coming to a larger house with a barn at the north edge of the village. Beyond the barn a field extends a few hundred feet to the edge of the forest and a good distance both east and west.

As they approach the house an older human man with a large bald spot walks from the barn to meet them. As he gets closer everyone can see that his bald spot is badly burnt and pealing and he is missing most of an ear. With a wave he shouts,

"What can I do fer ya? Somethin' the patrol-" he spots Ves as he gets closer, "Vesri! Girl, what ya doing back here so soon? Ya find a job down in Stenrek already?" He moves up to the party with a wide grin and looks everyone over before seeing the patrol members and his smile fades a bit. He gives a courteous nod to the elven lieutenant. "Ma'am."

He shoots Ves a questioning glance.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am

Ves bounces off the horse happily and gives the old farmer a hug.

"Good to see you again Tom! Yeah, picked up a couple of clients in Stenrek who want to explore the wilds north of here a bit. Met a patrol on the road who seem to think I'm up to something, so they've been keeping us company most of the afternoon. Can't say we need the extra help compared to most on the roads, but... Ah, who am I to judge their priorities, huh?

Tom, these are my clients, Joe and Jolly. Jaq and Lurn here are along to keep us company, and we met Kroshav on the road and hired his services as a mercenary for a bit. I was hoping to leave our horses with you for a bit if you've got room in your pasture for them? And if there's any space in your barn to sleep tonight for those that prefer it, I know I'd appreciate that. Same rate as usual?"

Assuming the old guy agrees to take the horses, Ves will signal the group to dismount and unload their gear while she catches up on important information with the farmer for a bit.

"So! most important things first! Do you still have that fantastic goat's cheese you were making last time? I've got some herbs for you that would go perfectly with it. Got a few rabbit last night too if you'll let me make you dinner! These'll go nice with your cider too come the autumn..."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:57 am

Tom's smile returns as Ves lays out the situation and introduces everyone.

"Real pleasure to meet ya! Ya, same rate as usual and I keep them should worst happen." He gives Ves a very unsubtle wink.

"Couple weeks during the summer ain't a problem. Not at all. Everyone's welcome in the barn, don't got room in the house sorry to say. Ya three as well if ya want?" He directs the patrol members. The Fink seems hopeful but the lieutenant answers quickly, "No, thank you. We will try to get to Uppner before dark." She looks at Ves and says, "Be cautious on your camping trip." Before signalling the other two and moving away. Fink gives the party a friendly wave as they leave and Almin keeps his eyes on the treeline.

Tom looks happy to see them gone but less happy at the mention of goat cheese once everyone is dismounting, "Ain't got no cheese left and some killed all my goats few weeks back. Fool boy left'm to wander near the woods. Gonna buy some more but gotta wait for harvest...or you can advance me some coin? Rabbit's always welcome, no cider now but got a bottle of applejack." Jolly perks up at this.

He walks the party to the barn and shows them where they can stow things for the night and bunk down. "Leaving at first light then?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:13 pm

Kroshav waves cheerfully to the patrol members as they depart. "That was real nice of them to take time to make sure we got here safe and all."

"Hi Tom! I'm Kroshav Xjindraakvar, pleased to meet you."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:45 pm

"Hi there Kroshiv. Nice to meet ya. Boy you're a biggin!"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:54 pm

"Yup! Me 'n Lurn are here so folks see us first and underestimate the Cap'n here.", Kroshav says cheerfully.

As they are walking the horses to the barn, "You spend a lot of time in the sun, Tom? Top of your head looks like it hurts, I can have a look if you want."

((I'm assuming the missing ear is an old injury, and we're not just ignoring a guy bleeding all over the place... :D )
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm

"Capin? Capin what? Don't hear well on that side." He moves around Kroshav, "Ya don't realize how much they do," he gestures at were his ear lobe should be, "till a horse kicks off!"

He rubs the top of his head and skin just falls off, "What'dya mean? Just working on my summer tan!"

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1886
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 pm

"Nice to meet you, and that you for your hospitality. I am Jaq."
He is happy for one last night of sleeping inside, even if it is a barn.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16371
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

"Ahoy thar!" Joe jumps off the horse and gives the man a wave. "Aye be Capt'n Joe Aver'ge, though tha title do nae mean much. Ye may call meh Joe if ye want. Tha horses we be borrowin' from someun else, so 'opefully nothin' bad happ'ns ta us."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:46 pm

((That'd be a real jump down for her now that I think about it.))

He gives Jaq a nod and waves back to Joe, "Hello Jaq, Joe and Jolly. Certainly got ya a lot a J's, Ves."

After getting you situated he will leave the barn explaining,

"Lot of work left to do when the sun's up. I'll tell the kids we got company tonight and to make some more dinner! Ya need anything you can find me in the fields or at the house."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16676

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:12 pm

Kroshav shrugs. The old guy's head looks like heck, but if it doesn't bother him, then it doesn't bother him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:08 pm

"Cassie and Grey, right? Let me get these folks settled then send the my way! I can always use their expert help skinning the rabbits! Oh - and we'll pass on the Applejack tonight thanks. Got a lot of walking to do tomorrow and we'll need to be out early."

Ves grins at the old farmer and heads into the barn to get the group settled down, and check through all their supplies before they head out properly in the morning.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12327
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 pm

Lurn climbs down from his horse, quickly digging a load of bread and various vegetables out of his backs, "My contributions to the meal. Won't keep long enough to save, anyway."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 am

"Got two of my sister's kids here til harvest, Ben an' Bob. They're dumb as their dad but hard workers. Grey'll definitely be happy to see ya!" Tom chuckles and takes the food from Lurn with a nod and a thanks you before heading to the house.

((If you need to buy anything there is a general store in town, otherwise we can jump to dinner and from there the deep, dark forest!))

User avatar
Rodgeir
Prattles on Unremittingly
Posts: 3482

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:47 pm

As the sunsets a teenage boy comes out to the barn. Ves doesn't recognize him, meaning he is likely Ben or Bob. The boy seems to be doing his best to grow a mustache but not having much success.

"Foods on, come on in."

He leads everyone back to the house and inside to a large room that probably normally serves as the house's main room but now has two large tables set up with a hodgepodge of chairs. At every spot there is a wooden plate and well used wooden utensils. In the middle of the tables Lurn's bread is stacked beside fresh loaves and four huge pies in iron forms steam beside them. A pot on one table is filled with what looks to be mashed sweet potatoes and butter. Pitchers of water sit at the tables along with a couple of dusty bottles (Ves knows from her amulet that these are applejack).

Tom comes through a door to the kitchen talking with an a man in his late teens that is a spitting image of Tom, but with both ears and hair - Grey. Behind them a young woman close to Ves in age, thankfully not looking much like her dad, pokes Grey and hisses something that causes Grey to scan the room until he finds Ves. He blushes and quickly takes a seat, not looking up from his plate. Tom and Cassie both laugh before Tom says,

"Come in and have some food! Grey had to work hard to get all together but he's made the best rabbit pot pie north of Seat!" He gives a nod to Lurn and Ves for their contribution to the meal, "Grab a seat and dig in." Tom does just that, Cassie taking a seat beside him and another teenage boy comes in from outside a moment later. Grey studiously avoids Ves' attention but Cassie is interested in Stenrek and whatever anyone can tell her about the world.

Jolly gives the dusty bottles a long, pained stare before moving around to sit beside Grey and load up his plate.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16371
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Joe thanks them and grabs a small plate (if there are any) and starts filling it with various things. (If not then she'll just partially fill a large plate). "Thank ye fer tha meal, Ah was nah exp'ctin' this hospital'ty from strang'rs." She eats her meal slowly, occasionally sipping on water.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 16095
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Ves happily digs in, sharing what stories with the girl are appropriate (and won't get them all into trouble). Mostly hunting tales I guess :)
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply