Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:17 am

Kroshav joins Ves in relaying warnings about owlbears and potential other threats that might scare owlbears.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 am

Ves watches the patrol and how they are moving and holding themselves. They don't seem agitated nor do they seem to be in any hurry. They are alert and clearly aware of the group approaching them.

Deciding to move forward she and Kroshav wave to the patrol. The main group stops and begins scanning the woods while a trio of riders approaches. The leader of the trio is an elven woman who takes the information in only interrupting to ask clarifying points about when and where the attack too place and who had been informed. One of her companions that remained silent, human, examines each of the party intently but doesn't say anything and the other, also human, watches the trees. After getting the information the leader responds,

"We appreciate you informing others of the potential danger on the road and we will examine the area when we get there. After this rain it is unlikely we will be able to track anything however. A threat that would cause owlbears to flee south would be of concern but also likely outside our ability to patrol. Where are you heading? What is your business?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12101
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Lurn just watches the exchange silently.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Kroshav defers to his employers/guide.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1740
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:06 am

Jaq looks over at Ves and will let her answer the guards, unless she indicates she would like him to answer the Elves.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16080
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 am

"Ahoy thar! We be headin' north n we be explorin'."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 am

The elven leader's eyebrows go slightly up and one of the others with her snorts out a laugh at Joe's greeting and comment from the side.

"North as in Balyon? And what exactly are you planning on exploring and to what end?"

The rider that was quietly watching the trees now turns to get a better look at the group as well.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15552
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 am

"We're heading to Tall today to stable the horses. I'm a guide and my clients here have hired me to take them into the wilds a bit. Probably spend a couple of weeks camping and hunting and then come back.

Ves leans in and mutters quietly to the guard leader:

"They're tourists with coin. Who am I to say no if they want to spend 2 weeks wandering in the mud and rain?"

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:09 am

Her eyes narrow slightly as she looks at the group's members again, pausing only on Jaq briefly before focusing back on Ves,

"Tourists? North of Tall? Coming from the west? A lot of forest between Bend and Tall, why just there?"

((Deception from Ves please))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15552
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:17 am

Ves shrugs.

1d20 = [2] = 2

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:21 am

The elf woman says nothing for a long moment after the shrug, staring at Ves.

"Very well. Wait here a moment." She gestures to the two other riders to remain as she rides back and quickly confers with the person in the breastplate, an elven man, before returning.

"We will accompany you and your," she finds Ves'eyes and says flatly, "tourists to Tall. Ride on."

The three of them move around to the west of the group and the remaining riders sit watching to see how the group reacts.

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1740
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am

"Well, we won't have to worry so much anymore about out running any more owlbears if we have some of the patrol guards with us." Jaq states to Lurn, not being quiet, he is fine if they hear him state this.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 am

"Oh, well that's nice of you, but if you don't mind my saying, wouldn't the owlbears and whatever is spooking them be a higher priority?
We've managed so far, and there might be others that need your help more..."


((Could I try to persuade? With Lurn's Jaq's help perhaps?))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:29 am

((Sure, give me a roll. How do you envision Lurn helping?

Ves did a terrific job convincing them you were up to something.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 am

((Sorry, I meant Jaq and his sarcastic comment (at least, I read it as sarcastic) about the owlbears, helping to establish them as the true threat?))

1d20+4 = [17] = 21
1d20+4 = [20] = 24
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:08 pm

((Sure))

The elven woman seems to consider something, looking between Jaq and Kroshav, before saying,

"Wait here," and again conferring with the breastplate wearing elf. This time the entire patrol group rides over and the elf in the breastplate says,

"We will continue on but these three," he nods to the three that first approached the group, "will accompany you to Tall. If there are owlbears terrorizing the roads we will deal with them. We will meet up in Uppner or Feltan lieutenant."

The elven woman and two others give a crisp salute as the rest of the patrol rides west.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15552
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Ves shrugs again.

"If you want."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:21 pm

"Great! Thanks for keeping the roads safe, and be carefull!"

Kroshav turns to their three new companions.

"Greetings, I'm Kroshav Xjindraakvar, pleased to meet you. How long have you been on the patrol?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 pm

The elven woman gives Ves a suspicious glare but responds to Kroshav,

"Lieutenant Masela, riders Fink and Almin." She gestures to the the pair beside her.

"We left Bridgeway ten days ago."

The rider named Fink adds cheerfully,

"Got hung up dealing with some bugbears west of Grenmyr."

The elven woman nods to the east. "Let's get you to Tall so you can start camping."

User avatar
NotStickFigures
Chronically Blathering
Posts: 1740
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:41 pm

"Nice to meet you" comments Jaq, this time, not sarcastic.
"I've not traveled much out of the city, so it is good to have a guide along who is better traveled." he nods towards Ves.
"And I've already learned I need to harden up a bit, not too fond of the camping in the rain, drenched and cold to the bone is not really something I'm used to yet. But I am in fact, just out to learn more about the world, the wilds, hunt; and if we find some items that can be sold back in the city for at least some profit, it will be a very worthwhile jaunt. I am actually a bit surprised that a patrol is this interested in a group of travelers. Has there been some bad goings-on that we should know about?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:47 pm

"Bugbears? Just a den, or you think there are hobgoblins about too?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 16080
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:55 pm

"Ah like expl'rin' n seein' diff'rnt lands n customs but didnae get much chance till rec'nt. Maybeh if tha wind take me thar, Ah'd see Balyon un of these days."

User avatar
Rodgeir
Lecturer in Training
Posts: 2947

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 am

Fink continues conversing,

"Your group is off special interest. Not many people want to wander in the woods north of Tall. Or at all for that matter. The bugbears were a problem but we ran them off. Didn't see any hobs with them but we only were patrolling the road while Grenmyr's garrison handled the heavy stuff. Figure there were probably some hobs involved though, bugbears don't normally come in so many or so organized. How many they say there was Almin?"

Almin doesn't take his eyes of the treeline as they ride to respond,

"Between 30 and 50. I would put money on hobgoblin involvement. Since they came over the mountains a decade ago they've gotten more and more aggressive."

Lieutenant Masela sits stern faced but doesn't interrupt the conversation. She does look at Joe oddly again and Fink raises his eyebrows and gives a small shrug to her after Joe's comment.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15552
Location: Florida

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:47 am

"Well that's not good news if they're this far south. Anywhere in particular we should avoid?"

User avatar
Dlover
Game Master
Posts: 12101
Location: Somewhere. Probably.

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:59 am

Lurn grunts, "That many buggers sounds like a challenge for anything short of an army. S'pose that's what you folk are, 'fter all."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Post Reply