Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:21 am

((Floor as been cleaned of dust and dirt past the top of the stairs but only a short distance.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:35 pm

"Lets hope the golems are all as friendly as ours seems to be. Hang on one minute before we head down. " Jaq will move down three rows, counting them out loud, and then move about 10 feet down that row and see if the shelves seem as empty and dusty and the first ones he walked by. He will stop for a moment and also look up to the ceiling and as far down the row as his dark vision allows, checking for anything odd.

After he does this, he will head back to the others and report anything he finds, or lack of findings.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:25 am

Jaq moves three rows to the right and walks up a short distance. The shelves here are dusty but they don't have any leather or metal bits like the shelves just by the entrance.

Looking at the ceiling shows it to be 15' up and made of the same polished stone the floor and shelves are made from. He does notice there are more cracks in the ceiling than in the floor.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:33 am

"Let's stick close, but I'd like to see how big this room is, and whether we think it's safe to bring the horses down. I'd feel a lot better if there's somewhere that they can be safe and warm before we go exploring deeper, or following the golem somewhere."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:31 pm

"That's a good idea. Let's follow the walls of the room and see how big it is, and that way we'll see if they are any doors leading off from this main room, too. Then we can get the horses down here."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:37 pm

"Past the cleaned stairs, there are only old footsteps, right? So there's likely nothing corporeal here, at least. Let's hope we find nothing incorporeal."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:45 pm

“Splittin’ up would likely lead to our death if we nay careful. Ah’m goin’ta cast dectec mag’c n see if Ah see anythin’ outta tha ordin’ry.”

Ritually casting detect magic.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Jaq waits quietly while Joe does his ritual, doing nothing more than putting his cloak hood up, and fiddling quietly with the bow, making sure the string is good and all is clean.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:10 am

Joe finishes casting her ritual and the group moves together to the east side of the room, peering down the rows of shelves as they go. Nearly all are simply covered in dust. After a hundred feet the group spot the ajoining wall along with rocks and soil pouring from the only doorway they've seen so far. Several shelves near the doorway have been damaged and the roof in the corner is noticeably sagging.

Joe doesn't notice any magical items beyond those on the party.

((You've determined it is 150 feet from the way in to this wall. Would you like to proceed up a row of shelves to see how far back the room goes or back track to see how far the room extends in the other direction?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:31 am

"Is this maybe about where the stairway filled with dirt was? Either way, shall we hurry to finish a round of the room and get the horses down here?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 am

((Lurn would guess just by the distance that it would be about right for the other stairway.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:47 am

"Let's keep a bit away from that corner, not overly safe stonework I'd say. But after keeping away from the corner, let us continue our round-the-outside-wall check of this room and then get the horses down."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:04 pm

"Hey Lurn. Does it take anything out of you to do that shield thing? How many times can you do that?", Kroshav points at Lurn's glowing shield.
"Does it only work on shields, or can you make other things bright, like a rock?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:40 pm

"The ceiling's held up this long, it's not likely to happen to fall while we're standing on it, but caution doesn't hurt."

"I can cast it as many times as need be, but it only works on one thing at a time. Could put it on a rock, though, so long as it isn't too big."
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 am

“Ah donnae see anythin’ that ainnae on ourselves. Maybeh we can sum’n thagolen n ask it be safe in here?”

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:45 am

"It was following halls that no longer exist yesterday, I doubt the golem will know whether an area is safe."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:14 am

"If there's spots that don't look safe, but we want to light them up to see from a distance, you can make a rock glow and we can chuck it in there."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 pm

"That'll work, so long as we don't want to leave a marker for where to avoid."
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Joe takes out her map making set (cartigrapher i think?) and starts to sketch out where they are.

”Okay Ah’m ready when ye are.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:59 am

The party turn into a row of shelves. These have been designed for only a single person to be walking between them, forcing the group to walk single file. The damaged ceiling and shelves are left in the darkness behind them and after 60 feet a wider alley (10') between the shelves going left and right opens up with the shelves continuing on the other side of it. Another, even wider alley, opens up after 60 more feet. The party can't make out an end to it going to the left but there looks to be a doorway to the right at the end of the alley. A third, more narrow alley, appears after 60 feet before the party goes a final 60 feet and the party spots the far wall. There is nothing of interest on the shelves, some have only dust and others have the rotted out remains of books and scrolls. Nothing pings for Joe.

There doesn't appear to be any more structural damage the group can see as they turn left finding only another stairway, this one completely covered in dust and old tracks, and then far wall before turning south (along a wider path) and finding another doorway into a 25*25 room with moldering piles of things scattered around it and black marks along the wall and floor. Continuing south down a wider path they find the path blocked by a complete cave in and are forced to back track and then continue down another narrow path between two shelves. Finding the wall again they turn left and find the entrance.

((I am going to make a simple map in OOC, the room is 310'x310', there are two rooms connected to it on its east and west sides and there are two stairways down on its north and south ends. The area in the southeast corner is collapsed and the area in southeast corner looks damaged.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:38 am

"If these spaces got much smaller, I may have to squeeze just to get through them. But at least it seems like it should be safe enough in here for the horses, yes?"
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:16 am

When they come upon the first room, near the end of the alley, (I'm thinking it has a closed door), Jaq will go up to doorway and listen for anything beyond it (He will put his finger up to his lips in a 'Shh' motion to everyone before he listens).

Perception/listening: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:56 am

((No door anymore, sorry for not describing it better. You can percept the crap out of the room though!))

The side room seems empty but looking in Jaq is pretty sure that a few of the piles of junk used to be chairs or couches. The dark spots on the walls were probably tapestries or portraits but now they are just dirty smudges. As he leans back out of the room he notices a piece of tarnished metal on the ground just inside the door. Dusting it off he is able to see the half corroded words, in common but with stylized letter shapes,

"Archive Study Room 2"

There are a few things written below in smaller script that have been lost to time.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:46 am

"Well, these rooms seem empty. And Safe. How old must this place be, do you think Joe, that everything like the books and even the wall hangings have turned to dust?"

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:30 pm

”Ah think it was made in **** and by *”

Archelogists know who made ancient ruins*, but not neciccarly the date.

History check***
History: 1D20+5 = [18]+5 = 23

“ah think we can bring down tha horses.”