Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:28 am

Jaq will move a few feet in whatever direction is needed to get a clear shot towards the hobgoblin that has the whip and is herding the goblins in our direction and will let an arrow fly.
Blessed longbow attack: 1D20+8+1D4 = [7]+8+[1] = 16

arrow damage (am assuming no sneak damage): 1D8+6 = [6]+6 = 12

He will then move to get close to the cut open tent opening where the messenger goblins came out of, using his regular movement. But not standing right in front of it so those inside can see him.

Then he uses cunning action to hide.
Stealth: 1D20+9 = [7]+9 = 16

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:41 am

"Ah right so tha one be a potion o climbin' which yer climbin speed be increased n easier ta climb. Tha other be somthin' ta prevent disease. Tha mirror has a word on it, maybeh tha command word. Ah think if we concentrate on somethin o someone we can see it where it maybeh."

"So which uns do ye want?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 am

Jaq's arrow sails over the hob before the elf hides himself.

Inside the tent Fadris finally decided to make good on her threats and attacks Celus. The half elf manages to avoid most of her blows but the final swing catches him solidly in the shoulder and he cries out as there is sharp scent in the air. Fadris nods appreciatively.

Ginrak strikes ineffectively against Jesp's defenses in a series of clangs.
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (two left, one badly injured)
Team Lurn (need a dex save)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)
First General Fadris (-23 HP)
Ginrak (-29 HP)
Team Kroshav (Blessed)<-----
Gob archer squad

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am

Kroshav: Moves to flank Fadris with Celus, swinging and managing a better go of it, unleashing holy power on his foe.

Longsword: 1D20+7+1D4 = [15]+7+[1] = 23
1D8+7 = [2]+7 = 9

Divine Smite: 2D8 = [5, 8] = 13

Celus: Attack Fadris, action surge to attack some more.

Hep: Dead

Dama: Shoot an orc.

Jolly: Slash an orc, action surge to slash another?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:05 pm

"Something to stave off illness is always handy in my line of work, and if there's a war coming, I'm sure it can be put to good use. Not sure about the rest, but maybe it'll be useful to someone. Can you read the word on the mirror?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Fadris grimaces and squints as a minor cut gets infused with a blast of holy power while Celus uses the opportunity to slash two more deep cuts across her ribs. Emboldened he tries to follow it up but the hobgoblin recovers and blocks his attacks with warhammer and shield.
Outside Jolly cleaves the head from the injured orc. It is unclear who is more surprised, Jolly or the orc, but Jolly definitely looks surprised for longer. His sword even manages to slightly injure the nearby orc who Dama finishes off with an arrow to the chest.
The goblin archer squad closes to 60 ft and, following the shouts and a crack of a whip, fires eight arrows into the cluster outside the tent. Arrows mostly ping off of armor and strike the ground nearby harmlessly, but two find their targets one striking Lurn and another Dama.
Arbelm squeezes past Kroshav to flank the First General and adds to the damage the hob has taken. The hob general appears to be coming to an understanding of just how outnumbered she is.
Outside, to the northeast, Jaq spots a trio of armored hobgoblins charging around the tents towards the large burning tent followed by a pair of the leather clad clerics. They look like they will probably reach the large tent soon (this turn).

Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Orcs (two left, one badly injured)
Team Lurn <-----
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (-85 HP)
Ginrak (-29 HP)
Team Kroshav (Blessed)
Gob archer squad

((Jolly still has his action surge, didn't need it.))

Inside
► Show Spoiler
Outsides
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:16 pm

”Ah can, do ye want me ta use tha command word n activate it? Or do ya want ta know tha word? If later then Ah’ll put it in tha holdin’ bag.”

(Any that require attunment?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:32 pm

((Not the stuff Joe recognized. The other stuff... maybe? You can snuggle up with them and ponder their magicalness for an hour to see if anything happens. Doing that will put you into town well after dark though.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:51 pm

((Ves will want to get inside before dark if possible, so would be keen to move on. She's happy with a quick test of any magical stuff though))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:49 pm

Lurn grunts, glances at the arrow that struck him, and turns to bellow at the goblins, "You runts! We're slaughtering orcs here, and you're stupid enough to be more afraid of one pathetic hobgoblin than us?! If you're still here in a moment I'll bury you alive!"

Intimidation: 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16

Indra: Keep on with the orc-killing train. This seems like a reasonable time to use an action surge to get an extra attack off.

((Well, if I'd aimed for Persuasion I might have had them there, but intimidation seemed the more... Logical thing to use on the goblins. Who knows, maybe they're coward enough to fall for a sixteen.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:37 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am Kroshav: Moves to flank Fadris with Celus...
((Not sure if this was possible or not, or if it was missed, but in the event that the -2 to AC made a difference on Celus's action surge 15 to hit, thought I should mention it.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:20 am

The goblins take note of the large blue thing and the piles of bodies around the group and the burning tent behind them belonging to their 'commander' on top of the sounds of fighting from the south and yells from the east. Taking a furtive look at the hobgoblin with the whip behind them a silent agreement appears to happen between the goblins as they all scatter as one in different directions. The hobgoblin is surprised and tries to whip one. He quickly finds himself standing alone and turns to chase in the direction one of the goblins ran shouting something, likely very profane.
Indra goes to kill an orc but finds them already all dead. She looks to Lurn for direction.

Jesp again pauses to consider is now wounded target but when he strikes out Ginrak blocks the blow with his shield before ducking the pair of arrows sent his way from Amar and Ern. Jesp takes a look at the burning debris behind him and shifts to the west side of Ginrak. At this rate the tent is going to turn into a very warm place to be soon...
Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Team Lurn (Indra still has her action and movement, Lurn still has movement)
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed) <-----
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (-85 HP)
Ginrak (-29 HP)
Team Kroshav (Blessed)
Gob archer squad

((@Spider, I missed that Kroshav had moved into flanking and put Arbelm there right after :roll:. I will put Arbelm north of Fadris instead. The 15 would have hit had Fadris not used her parry to block it. It is the first time she could have used it as neither you nor Celus have been rolling around 10 much!))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:25 am

(That works with Joe. She does not want to be out of town by nightfall. What item/person do you think we should concentrate on for the mirror?)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:26 am

With his attention returned from the goblins to the battle, Lurn realises all the orcs are dead and gestures to the tent, "They may need help inside, but take caution. I don't want another sudden fireball blasting everyone." That said, the large man moves to Fand's unconscious body and begins preparing his spells (Not casting this turn, gonna wait until I have a full action so I can Cure Wounds for maximum efficiency).
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 am

((Indra would have to move around the side of the tent to avoid the flaming mess the main entrance has become. Any preference on which side she should take in? Or she can just run through the flames and take some damage!))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am

Since he is next to the sliced open tent, Jaq will move 5 feet and peek in. (How much cover would the enemies inside get from a shot from that location? and would he get advantange/sneak attack from being hidden and poking hole to attack?)(would the oncoming hob/cleric squad see him or did his hide action actually hide him from them?)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:59 am

((Should at least get sneak if your targeting anyone who is engaged with one of us.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:10 am

(ah, that is very true...guess my action will depend on how much cover maybe....and if the oncoming clerics see Jaq or not...Options, so many options)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:45 am

((Around to the left for Indra, I'd say. I've not kept track of the positioning on the inside, so no meta decision on that, but if I recall, Arbelm went in the right, so another on the left will be useful.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:39 am

NotStickFigures wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:54 am (How much cover would the enemies inside get from a shot from that location? and would he get advantange/sneak attack from being hidden and poking hole to attack?)(would the oncoming hob/cleric squad see him or did his hide action actually hide him from them?)
((Let's see. Without going in you would be shooting through either the archers or Celus, meaning that the hobs inside would have half cover from you. As both are next to an ally the 'sneak' part of sneak attack doesn't really matter as you get the extra damage anyhow, but if it did matter you would get it as the inside hobs would be properly surprised.

The incoming hobs are more focused on the fire and yelling around front of the tent and don't look to have spotted Jaq (you beat their passive perception and there are a lot of people moving around).))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 am

Jaq will move over to the hole in the tent and peer in. Seeing no clear shot he just says in Elvish, "Hobs and clerics coming quick from the northeast." He then focuses on those same clerics and shoots an arrow their way.
Blessed longbow attack: 1D20+8+1D4 = [2]+8+[4] = 14
advantage roll to hit which I had forgot to put in...: 1D20+8+1D4 = [4]+8+[4] = 16

Damage if needed.: 1D8+6+2D6 = [6]+6+[6, 1] = 19

After shooting the arrow he will move, using cunning action for more movement, to get just north of Jolly and as far west as he can go with the 60 feet of movement.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:18 am

Ves would say: the famers son, Kroshav, then Jolly, depending how many we can check in on.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am

Indra heads inside the burning tent and enters the near Jesp and adjacent to Ginrak.

Jaq sends an arrow into the Orange (the circle color) hob cleric and gets the attention of the entire group as he dashes away. They all charge over but end up about where Jaq started his dash away. The hobs yell something towards the tent and Fadris yells back a response before yelling something to Ginrak. The First General then proceeds to try and run to the east (disengaging), surprising everyone but Kroshav. ((AoO from Kroshav should he choose to take it.))

The entire south side of tent is a burning inferno at this point and it is becoming increasingly smoky.

Initiative:
Arbelm (Blessed)
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Jaq (Blessed)
NE hobsquad
First General Fadris (-85 HP) <-----
Ginrak (-29 HP)
Team Kroshav (Blessed)

((Pausing for the AoO since it would stop Fadris from doing what she wants to do.))

Also have an outside map up to this point because I made it without thinking about what was happening inside the tent first!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am

Longsword: 1D20+7+1D4 = [10]+7+[1] = 18
1D8+7 = [4]+7 = 11

((Dang it... just realized I could have been hitting her every time she swung at Celus...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:00 am

((I forgot too, she only attacked him once (3 times). Go ahead and roll the attack and damage.))