Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by The Lost » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 am

Slight of hand for staff: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17

”Er ya, middle un.” Joe will hold action eldrich blast forany drow willing to show thier face.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:32 am

((@Lost, you successfully manage to hold on to the staff but can't you summon the staff and ready an action the same turn. Sorry I wasn't clear that things are still in combat and I was just taking everyone's actions at once.

I am just waiting to see if Lurn passes the dex save and follows down the middle tunnel. I'll post the turn order and you can roll an initiative for Joe, though everyone got their action before the pursuit gets theirs.))

Initiative:
Lurn 13 HP remaining (Dex save)
Mikram Down 2 HP
Kroshav 20 HP remaining
Pursuit <----
Joe ???

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:36 am

► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:15 am

init: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

Anyways as her action she'll hold an eldrich blast as Kroshav carries her away.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 am

Kroshav will tuck her under his arm so she's got cover from his body, but can see to blast if needed, while sprinting for the middle tunnel with Lurn.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:16 am

Jaq
► Show Spoiler
Initiative
Initiative:
Joe 1 HP remaining
Lurn 13 HP remaining (Dex save please)
Mikram Down 2 HP
Kroshav 20 HP remaining
Pursuit <----

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Dex save: 1D20+1 = [13]+1 = 14

If he's not collapsing, Lurn will be following after Kroshav.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 am

Lurn scampers nimbly behind Kroshav into the middle tunnel, out of the mud he manages to make it another 20ft up the tunnel and the upward tilt becomes more apparent. The tunnel is much rougher than anything else they have encountered in the archives, the walls are unfinished and rough but the floor is more smoothly worked. The ceiling is also much lower, for the most part only 10ft but occasionally a bit more. It is, at least, still 10' wide.

Behind Lurn the mud room falls into shadows and the stairs into darkness but Lurn can still hear the pursuit and understands,

"What do we do? If they get away she'll flay us."

And a response,

"If we go in there the snake will tear us apart."

Mikram says to Lurn,

"Aye see the legs of four drow standing up the stairs an'-"

This is suddenly punctuated by the whizzing of arrows that clatter around Lurn's legs and then burning pain in his left leg.

"Aye, there is the drider. Ye okay? He pressed himself down low in an odd way for a spider. Aye guess he could see yer legs."

Without her darkvision Joe can't make out any targets in the darkness behind Lurn's light.

The tunnel continues on well past the light from Lurn's shield. Lurn can very faintly hear an odd, stone on stone clanking coming from somewhere in that darkness.
(Health update:
Joe 1 HP remaining
Lurn 3 HP remaining
Mikram Down 2 HP
Kroshav 20 HP remaining)

((Okay, you're out of combat so long as you don't decide to head back.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:58 am

Kroshav will set Joe down and scoot up the corridor to make sure he's clear of any other shots from the drow.

"Good to see you Cap'n! We think they took Jaq back the other way, we were gonna go for him, but we were all hurt and running straight down a hallway is a good way to get full of arrows. There's something down here they don't like, I think they called her the Snake, you didn't hear or see anything like that did you? Hope we can get her on our side, but I think we need to rest up a bit first."

((Would we be able to find a place to plop down and take a short rest?))

In case the resident of this layer is sneaking up and listening, Kroshav will occasionally remark something along the lines of "Wow, I'm really not a fan of those drow upstairs." "They are really mean." "There's got to be a way we can get back at them..."

<Ealu, did you and Charlie make it out? Lurn and I found Cap'n Joe, and Lurn made friends with a dwarf too. We haven't found Jaq yet, but hopefully can get some help to find him.>

"Oh, Lurn, can you ask Mikram if there are other prisoners here? Folks we can free, maybe who can help us out?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:09 am

((Moving another 10 or so feet forward would put you out of the sight of the drow on the stairs, even if they laid on their stomachs!))

From what you can see in the hall after you move is more hall. It doesn't widen and, from what you can see and what Mikram relays through Lurn, it doesn't have any side passages or turns. It does level out a short distance ahead though.

Mikram will relay, again through Lurn,

"Aye don't know. Maybe one or two of my squad are still alive. Aye haven't heard any screams in a while so maybe aye was the last one. They don't keep guests for long."

From Ealu Kroshav gets a long pause then,

<Uh, hi Kroshav! Good you found the big one and the little one and a whatever? You'll find Jaq for sure! Out, out...still working on it. You know that smells kinda move around? Yep, but for sure going to get out soon!>

As you sit there everyone starts to hear a rhythmic clicking of stone on stone. It is definitely getting louder, or maybe closer? Or maybe both?

((It has only been maybe 15 minutes since they started so they haven't been wandering around too much!

Let me know if anyone is going any where.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:10 am

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 am

((Move up to where it's level, and rest?))

<Okay, be careful!>

"How long have you been down here, Mikram?"

"Hey, listen... is that coming from up ahead?"

Kroshav will move towards the sound so he's in the front of the party, shield out, but Sword sheathed.

<Sword, you able to see... or... tell what's coming?>
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:32 am

Lurn suppresses a grunt as the arrow hits his leg, and he limps further into safety. Grunting, he works on tearing a strip from the armour he's snagged, then grits his teeth and snaps the head of the arrow before pulling the shaft free, using the torn strip to bandage himself.
"Whatever's coming, it's been coming for a little bit now. Stone on stone, so not alive. Let's hope it's not hostile."

((So, each of those arrow shots was "1d20.Low(1)," so one die was rolled and the lowest of that one roll was taken. I'm guessing that was meant to be 2d20, considering 3/4 cover?))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 am

"Oh, maybe one of the library golems!"

((The 3/4ths should give you +5 to AC, I think the disadvantage was because it got prone to take the shot, but yeah, looks like only one dice was rolled.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:44 am

"Good to see you Cap'n! We think they took Jaq back the other way, we were gonna go for him, but we were all hurt and running straight down a hallway is a good way to get full of arrows. There's something down here they don't like, I think they called her the Snake, you didn't hear or see anything like that did you? Hope we can get her on our side, but I think we need to rest up a bit first."

”It be good ta see ye too. Donnae worry we will get Jaq n we will kill tha bast’rds. Ah nev’r heard nothin’ about a snake. Ah think restin’ would be good.”

Joe looks around when she hears the noises ”Ahoy? Anyun thar? If ye be tha libary gol’ms can ye help us?”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:30 pm

To Kroshav from Ealu,

<Yep, you too!>

From Mikram to Kroshav,

"What do ye mean, down here? In this place? Maybe a month."

Sword to Kroshav,

<No...?>

Mikram doesn't see anything either but will add if asked by Lurn,

"Golems. Snake has an army of'm. Nasty. Aye think we're about to find out if we get to stay."

It definitely sounds like more than one set of clicks coming now.

Nothing responds from the darkness to Joe's call but the sound stops.

((Oops! Figured it seemed right since he missed twice... Ah well, glad you are keeping me honest. Spider has the right idea, prone and plus 5 ac.

Drider messed up roll: 1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19

Still just hits.))

Jaq
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 pm

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm

"A few golems coming, it sounds like. Mikram says they serve the snake, so we should avoid being the first to fight. Even if they look like spiders, Joe."
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:25 pm

"Ah hope thay donnae look like spid'r eith'r. Most likely be snake thou it sound like? It be a good thing me gran na be here." Joe waits with the others, somewhat interesting in the golems.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:49 pm

For a long while there is no sound beyond a the breathing of the group and an occasional dripping sound from behind them that only really Lurn can hear. Lurn hears it first, another clicking of stone on stone, albeit very faintly. After another 30 seconds it is apparent to everyone as it grows nearer. Mikram is the first to see it and curses,

"Aye don't know how but the drow made it down here. Knife it. One is coming this way with one of the snake's golems."

A quarter minute later one of the library golems enters the edge of Lurn's light and stops, impassive and silent. From behind it comes a very drow like figure that resolves into an even more familiar figure once they enter the light.

The party is, after what feels like months but could have only been a day at most, reunited!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:03 am

Lurn laughs at the sight of Jaq, waving his hand tiredly, "All gods be thanked, you are a sight for sorry eyes, Jaq." Swapping to dwarvish briefly, he relays to Mikram, "This one's no drow. He's the last missing one of our group."

Pushing himself to his feet, the large man sighs, "You're with a golem, so I'm hoping you've managed to strike an accord with the ruler of this domain? Do we have at least temporary safety?"
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:05 am

Moving up to the area right next golem with a huge, huge grin, "You are all here, and alive! And with a friend you picked up, too. Good cause I hadn't yet figured out how I alone was gonna rescue you all from the drow." He puts up his right hand, palm forward as if it say stop or wait, and then with a much more grim face he continues to talk. "I've been granted safety down here by the Librarian herself, she is a Naga that has been here a very long time. She is worried about breaking a truce/ceasefire with the drow so she wishes to speak with all of you and learn about your moral and character before deciding if she can grant you safety and if it will be worth doing if it endangers the library and the books she holds dear." He puts his hand down again, and with a bit more of a smile he asks, "How did you escape? and did you kill a lot of those bent-spoon drow?"
To answer Lurn's question more specifically he says, "Yes, I don't think the drow will follow now, but we are going to have to go meet and speak with the librarian now."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:18 am

After briefly explaining their situation to Mikram, Lurn replies with his own story, "Kroshav managed to get out of our cell first, but we weren't even aware of each other at that point. With the help of Mikram here, I managed to get ungagged and talk with him, and we decided to attempt an escape. It was just a matter of pulling my chain from the wall and walking out, with my new dwarven friend as my eyes in the dark. I found Kroshav where they were intending to torture him, and we killed a pair of drow. From there we managed to find the armoury - Kroshav seemed to walk straight there as if he knew where it was - and we reclaimed his sword and my shield. From there, we encountered the drider and a few more drow, and decided to run for this floor, per Mikram's advice. A few more drow were on the staircase with Joe, and we were lucky enough to finish them off before the drider caught up, and we escaped to here. Barely, but it would seem my Lord is not ready to claim us quite yet."

"As for speaking with the naga, I'll hold no gripes against it. I've always been good at making friends, and few have ever doubted my moral integrity."
My game:

My characters:

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:33 am

”Jaq! Ah was worri’d thay got ye! Ah was goin’ ta try ta help ye in battle but ye be gone by tha time Ah got thar.

Tha drow bast’rd willnae know what hit em. Tha furth’r away from tha drow tha bett’r. Ah hope tha she be reason’ble n let us in so tha we can kick drow arses lat’r.”

“Ah used misty step while ye were fightin’ but when Ah went ta help ye were gone. Tha drow got me aft’r but Ah woke up with Kroshav carryin’ me.”

Joe follows Jaq, glad that he is alive and well. She hopes that at least one book is a spellbook since hers is missing.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:26 am

"Jaq? JAQ!"

Kroshav scrambles to his feet and runs over, lifting Jaq in a bear hug.

"Sword said they'd taken you the other way, I was worried what they'd do to you while we rested up, the three, sorry, four of us are running on next to nothing. We'll come see your Naga friend."

What is a Naga?: 1D20-2 = [19]-2 = 17
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler