Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

”Yea go slow. Ye’d be surprised what some people consider ta be traps. Heard a guy had a buncha dead snakes drop on him.” Joe checks the lock to determine if it means anything before ritually casting dectect magic.

Int[1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:57 pm

While Joe sits down to cast her spell, Ves goes to check out the room with the open door, spending the available 10 minutes and 6 seconds wondering what it was used for, and rummaging around to see if there's anything left that's worth salvaging (and keeping a wary eye out for poison dart triggers and baskets of overhead dead snakes).

Investigation: 1d20 = [18] = 18

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Lurn studies the symbol, wondering whether it's a religious mark he's seen before.
Religion: 1d20-1 = [19] = 18
"Magical traps and such aren't my specialty, so let's just leave it to Joe."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:17 am

Joe decides that the drop bar means that someone wanted the door locked from this side, beyond that? Not much else comes to mind.

As Joe starts chanting and dancing in a small circle casting her spell Lurn looks at the symbol on the door. It doesn't seem to be a religious marking, at least not one he recognizes, and would hazard that it is a word or a letter in a language he isn't familiar with. Perhaps Joe will have better luck.

Ves grows tired of staring at a stone door and turns around to check out the easy to enter room. She notes the room is a long rectangle and its walls are completely unadorned, though there are spots that likely held torches evenly spaced across them. After a few steps into the room she detects a rather unpleasant smell, very much like food that has been allowed to spoil. She also suddenly knows there is a large amount of very strong alcohol near the back of the heap of things. As she gets closer to the oddly shaped pile the smell grows stronger and she can clearly see the heap is made up of a random, large assortment of packs and gear. The glint she saw earlier was a tarnished copper cup that has rolled out of a nearly completely rotted travel bag.

Examining the pile, and covering her mouth and nose, she spots rotted blankets, clothing and ropes mixed with pitted daggers and tarnished pots. The top of the pile is definitely made up of newer additions as the equipment there is in better, if not good, shape. Below the top layer bags have long since burst open and spilled their contents. Grabbing a fresher looking bag from the top and stepping back and dumping out its contents she finds standard travel gear and clothing along with some illegible papers and a water damaged, swollen book. Near the bottom of the bag she finds a pouch containing a few dozen coins and what was probably food but is now a lump of squishy foul smelling mold.

Looking back at the pile she realizes she will need more than 10 minutes to go through it all.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:07 am

"It's not a religious symbol that I know of, so maybe a letter? We decided the foul being behind this is a demon, right? So maybe it's in Abyssal? Would explain why it feels so unpleasant to look at."
((Abyssal was the language of the infernal plane, right?))

Deciding standing around waiting is pointless, Lurn heads into the room Ves is inspecting. "Hm, well... I guess we know what happened to everything owned by the people drawn into the pool... Is it going to be worth rummaging through all this waste?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:59 am

((Yep, abyssal is what demons speak and they write in infernal.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 am

((Okay, well, should've been Infernal, then, since this one's writing. But hey, I was close!))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 am

"Who knows. It'll take a while, and most of it's rotted away. Joe might be able to tell us if there's something magic in here at least?"

((I guess Ves has seen her Detect magic before? Of at least knows what the ritual is that's happening?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:26 am

((Yep, by now Ves would know what Joe's little dance is about. Joe tried it during the goblin negotiations.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 am

((I think that abyssal writing is still in abyssal, just uses infernal letters?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 am

Jaq will stick with Joe until she finishes the ritual.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:06 am

((Ah, you're correct. I was running from memory but a quick Google, and you, set me straight. Same letters as devil's, different language. Which I think is odd but maybe they stopped the war between them to have a meeting to decide that.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:09 am

Joe finishes up the ritual and sees that the symbol seems to be the focus of medium-low strength abjuration spell on the door.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 am

”Hmm abjurati’ns, mostly thay protect things but some can be a bit harmful. Most likely it be magic lock, but Ah aint taking chances. Ah’m goin ta see wha this here says.”

Ritual casting for comprehend languages.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:27 am

"If you can see magic stuff, you want to take a look in here?", Kroshav helps Ves poke around in the refuse pile.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 am

Jolly wanders into the junk pile room with Ves and nudges his foot around the edge of the heap. He finds and picks up a tarnished copper piece. Sighing he drops it and tries to slide out a leather bound book with his foot and manages to tear off the book's cover to reveal a mass of blackened pages. Shaking his head he retreats back from the smell to the entrance.

Ten minutes later Joe completes her second ritual and realizes she needs to touch the door to be able to understand what the symbol means.

((Joe going to touch the door? Give me an investigation Spider.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:47 am

"Joe, we can try to rig up a rope to try to lift up the bar from a distance, or at least use a long weapon to lift it rather than touching it."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:02 am

"In ord'r to figure out what it says I need ta touch it. Stand back everyun." Once everybody is out of the way, Joe quickly touches the inscription, not wanting to touch it for long.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am

Upon touching the stone surface of the door the symbol transforms to read simply Lock/Confine. Likely a word that doesn't translate well. Joe's hand comes back in one piece and the door remains unchanged.

In the other room Kroshov finds what he thinks is an intact bag but on lifting it the bottom gives out and its contents empty on his feet. The owner of this bag seems to have liked rocks because they have for some reason packed several heavy ones, all of which manage to hit the dragonborn's toes.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:17 am

Kroshav comically hops around on one foot.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:19 am

Ves chuckles.

"Nothing to see in here. Let's move on for now and make sure there's nothing else dead looking to wake up and surprise us. We can come back for a proper look later."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:24 am

If Joe tells Jaq that the symbol means lock or confine, he says it must be keeping something nasty out, so he is ok with letting the door locked for now. Maybe something they'd check just before leaving this place.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 am

((could be keeping something Good inside too though, given that this place has been inhabited by zombies and a god of undeath... Might be they've used that room as a prison for something THEY find dangerous (not us). Just an OOC thought though, unless Joe tells us about the symbol))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:43 am

”It says lock...or confine. It maybe some sort o vault or cage.” Joe wraps her rope around the bar. She lifts the floating stick to be above the lever and has the rope over top of it (like a pully) she then pulls on it to try to lift the lever.