Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:21 am

Jaq shoots at the owlbear attacking Ves. And he stops his horse 40 feet from Ves' position, on the side so that Ves or her horse isn't obstructing/covering the owlbear.

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [5]+7 = 12

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am

((Dex save for Ves to stay on the horse please))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Dex Save: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24

The dice are taking us on a rollercoaster ride today :lol:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Jaq fires an arrow that narrowly whizzes over the owlbear's head.

The reins are torn from Ves' hands and the horse kicks wildly at the owlbear before moving forward again with its remaining movement (60ft). Ves uses the forward tip caused by the kick to slide forward and reclaim the reins but doesn't control in time to direct the horse, probably also due to the pain in her leg...
As the horse and rider pull away the owlbear's beak snaps down on Ves' thigh tearing away a bloody chunk of meat (-7). The owlbear's claws swing down missing both horse and rider.
Lurn sees the attack and points at the back of the owlbear causing it to shriek, and shake it's head. It doesn't lose sight of its prey.

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21)
Jaq
Ves (10 HP)
Lurn
Kroshav <-----
Joe
Jolly
Owlbear 3 (-8)

((Had you not rolled a 20 you would have had to make an attempt to regain control of the horse. Well done there!))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:42 pm

((What is the positioning of Kroshav relative to the others and owlbear? I think he's riding east, but keeping pace with Ves, if she's now West most? Ready javelin attack for if/when it approaches.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm

((Positions are as pictured in the map, some explanations of the changes - everyone but Jaq and Kroshav needed to make a small adjustment to avoid the owlbear. Jaq has had his move and to stay within 40ft (straight line) he moved north. Ves is 60 feet from the owlbear and Jaq is 100 feet. At this point Lurn is west most but hasn't moved yet (moves on Joe's turn). If someone chooses not to dash their mount they could potentially end up more west than Ves.

Kroshav's current position would allow him to throw a javelin as he rides by but still stop along side where Ves is. Or he can simply ride up along side her if he so wishes.

And map))

Errored

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm

(This is a learning curve for us all, mounted combat and horse movement. Fun though. Glad you understood what I mean as to where I wanted to go. So, though it got that one attack in, we SHOULD be able to outrun this one now, too, correct?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 pm

((Glad you're enjoying it! It was something I have been meaning to try in RL but they are probably going to be in a swamp for the next six months. I think it actually works better here though. In RL it would get hectic fast. And honestly what isn't fun about owlbears!

It will be able to catch up with Ves, and anyone else within 80 ft of it when it's turn comes up. That is using it's action to dash so it won't have an attack, just the potential AoO.

I was just guessing that would be where Jaq would want to be! Should I guess wrong let me know.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:14 pm

((Am I correct in thinking that once everyone's past it it won't be able to catch up and use an attack in the same turn? Such that if we disengage and move it will need to move-dash in order to catch up? That would eliminate opportunity attacks, as long as we're all able to stay mounted and horses under control.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:28 pm

((If Spider's right, we just found the counter to Owlbear existence; mounts. 'cause the disengage and move would be horse action, right? The rider can make an attack at the same time, then?))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 pm

((@Spider You are correct, given you can control your mounts!

@Dlover Yes, you can make an attack while the horse disengages.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:06 am

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21)
Jaq
Ves (10 HP)
Lurn
Kroshav <-----
Joe
Jolly
Owlbear 3 (-8)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:29 am

((Have I moved up with Ves? If not, I will have him move up, dropping a javelin and drawing his warpick, but 5ft West of her, and hold an action to stab it in the face with the warpick.))

Warpick: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
1D8+7 = [3]+7 = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:32 am

((Did you ever attack with your javelin or were you just moving? I wasn't clear on what your intention was, if movement was it, Kroshav's there. North side or south?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:44 am

((I think last turn I roared at him, and haven't had an opportunity to toss it, but I'd rather have the pick for the slight edge it gives if I'm holding an attack. Can I be SW of Ves?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am

((Yep, that's correct. Only one full round of actions since owlbear three entered the picture, just wanted to make sure before I moved you. Kroshav will be just SW of Ves.))

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21) (Fallen out of sight)
Jaq (8 HP)
Ves (10 HP)
Lurn (15 HP)
Kroshav (14 HP)
Joe (14 HP) <-----
Jolly (? HP)
Owlbear 3 (-8)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Fire a firebolt at the nearest and have the horsey dash away!

Firebolt: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9
1D10 = [8] = 8

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Kroshav guides Charlie just behind Ves, interposing himself between the owlbear and its quarry and readies his warpick.

Joe throws another firebolt over her shoulder in the general direction of the owlbear, but other than outlining it briefly in orange light, doesn't have any impact on the beast.

Jolly doesn't seem to notice what has happened to Ves and heads off down the road light, glowing like a beacon.

The owlbear charges forward, seemingly intending to reach its bloodied dinner, when a warpick slams down into its back. It releases a squawk of pain and surprise as it draws in on Charlie's side. Kroshav sees a green glint ((like a cat's)) as the owlbears eyes focus on him and Charlie in the torchlight. ((Animal handling from Kroshav!))

A shriek is heard behind them but nothing is visible.

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21) (Fallen out of sight)
Jaq (8 HP) <-----
Ves (10 HP)
Lurn (15 HP)
Kroshav (14 HP)
Joe (14 HP)
Jolly (? HP)
Owlbear 3 (-18)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Ves is going to keep dashing (horse), and dodging (her action) as best she can (if feasible on horseback).

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:46 pm

((I guess? Leaning to the opposite side of the horse or lifting your legs up on the saddle? Tried both at points in my youth and both contributed to sudden and painful dismounts. Ves is probably a better rider...))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:00 pm

((Yeah, just paying attention to not being hit, rather than trying to hit the thing I guess? Maybe tweaking the horse slightly out the way without leaving it to the animal to dodge? I guess there's a few ways to try it, but up to you. It is dark, and I assume some degree of attention has to be paid to just steering the horses!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Lurn will be throwing another Toll The Dead on Owlbear 3.

Lurn TTD: 1D12 = [4] = 4
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:11 am

Letting the horse keep dashing away and using another arrow, will probably continue this tactic until it doesn't work.

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23

Arrow damage: 1D8+5 = [5]+5 = 10

Edit: forgot sneak damage, which I think he'd get due to it be adjacent to a party member.

Sneak: 1D6 = [2] = 2

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 am

(I think that's only if you are also in melee.)

More firebolts and having the horse run away from Joe.
Firebolt: 1D20+4 = [3]+4 = 7
1D10 = [7] = 7

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 am

((sneak attack applies to any (non-magical) attack as long as an ally is within 5 feet of the target when the attack hits))