Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:42 am

Is the river safe to cross?
Survival: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:07 am

Ves watches Kroshav take big, clomping steps in the shin deep water and offer a hand towards the goblin who slowly takes his wrist.

Yep, probably safe.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:18 am

Jaq will wait until one other of the group begins heading across the river and then join on the crossing.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:32 am

"Almost. You do it like this."

Kroshav shows the goblin how to shake hands proper.

"My mentor said it is a way of showing that you don't have a weapon in that hand, and you're trusting the other person, and they do it back. What's your name?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:34 am

((does it look safe for everyone? Or does eg Joe need to be carried?))

Either way, Ves will oversee the safe crossing of the river and head across to join the others.

To the goblin:
"What's your name anyway? And how do you feel about creating a bit of a diversion for us? Once we get nearer your village, you go ahead and tell them you saw us coming from a different direction. Try and get a few of them to leave and go looking for us. We'll take care of whoever stays behind, and then deal with the rest when they return.

Also, what defences does your village have? Should we even try to attack them while they're inside it, or should we draw them out?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 pm

((Nah, I described it as being shallow before. It would slow your crossing but isn't difficult. Joe might appreciate the lift though!))

Jaq joins Kroshav as he tries to teach the confused goblin how to shake hands. The goblin lets Kroshav shake his arm limply. The goblin shakes his head in response to Kroshav's comment on him doing it wrong and says in common,

"You one is wrong. Grab here," he grabs Kroshav's wrist again and squeezes probably as hard as it can, "hold hard. Both have weapon with other hand but no one gets away both get dead." He waves his free hand, that now has a stone dagger in it, for emphasis but no seeming intent. "Name Himmak." He puts his dagger back in his belt, lesson seemingly concluded.

When Ves arrives he lets go of Kroshav after giving it one last big squeeze and listens to her questions with a growing frown.

"My name is Himmak. I told the metal lizard. I am not liking the idea of being a diversion, I left village running with them shooting at me. Maybe some will chase me if I try but maybe some will catch me this time. The village had traps around it and a wood wall. The hobs climbed the wall while the bugbears ran in the gate. Broke the gate. I climbed out. Looked like they found some of the traps, dunno how many."

Himmak ponders the last question clicking his teeth together as he does,

"Maybe easier to kill them if they are out but they would probably be surprised if you attack them while they are in. We were. Besides they might kill the women and kids and old ones. Not many warriors left, dunno."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Kroshav beams with delight at being shown the goblin way, waggling his shield in a vaguely threatening manner.

"Thank you for showing me your way, Himmak! I like it!"

He'll eventually show all the others in the group how to shake hands like a goblin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:15 pm

”It’s okay. We can have a distraction without you being in harms way.” Joe conjures a horn. ”I suggest blowing on it hard as to suggest reinforecments are coming then run away from that spot.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:23 pm

"You one blow horn and run away. Then Himmak no hurts."

Himmak is unimpressed.

((If you are try and convince him to do something Joe/Ves give me a persuasion roll.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:02 pm

"If Ah had Ruby on me we would, but unfort'lly we need ta be close tog'ther ta make sure we get 'em. Tha horn only last n hour." Persuasion [1d20+3] = 16+3 = 19

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:23 am

"What is ruby?" Himmak appears completely at a loss for whatever Joe is suggesting. He looks at Ves and asks in goblin,

"What does the little red one mean? Who is a 'ruby' what does she mean with horns and hours and close?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:53 am

"Ruby's the name of her bird. Don't know about the rest.", Kroshav chimes in from the middle of showing Jolly how to 'goblin-shake'.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 am

"She can do magic, and she's explaining how some of it would work m Ruby was a magic bird she had, but she can't summon it again right now.

Ok. We're going to need to know what these traps of yours are, what they look like and how to avoid them. If we take care of the bugbears and hobs, do you think you can set your people free from wherever they're being held prisoner? We will probably need the help."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:16 am

”Tha horn Ah made doesnae last long. If yer village be more than hour away Ah’d have ta make it again.”

(The horn she conjured is glowing slightly.)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:09 am

"I don't know how or where they are being held now... I will try. I can show you where the traps are, most are on the way there. Some around the wall..."

((It's about an hour there, but we can say you're walking and talking so 45 minutes.

Can I get another perception check from anyone that would be listening.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:18 am

Perception: 1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9

In a rare turn of events, Lurn ISN'T super attentive.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:42 am

((Kroshav is probably distracting him teaching him how to goblin-shake. :D ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:18 am

Only Lurn is keeping a watch as the go but is constantly being distracted by those around him and doesn't notice much.

After another 30 minutes of walking Himmak stops and says quietly,

"Almost there, I can draw a map of village and mark where the traps were? Don't know where the hobs are now or where my clan is being held."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:44 am

Kroshav nods.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:02 am

((I thought you only wanted one roll from someone... Were we all meant to roll? Oops...))

As we walk:
"I think we still need a distraction. Eight hobgoblins' and four bugbears won't be an easy fight to win, especially if they have hostages. Joe, Lurn- what can you both do on that front to lure them out? Picking off a few at a time seems the best way to keep ourselves alive."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 am

Joe will reconjure the horn and casts Mage armour on herself.

”Ah can conjure any item Ah’ve seen, make some campfires, shoot off bolt o fire in tha sky.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 am

((I will get you a map later tonight.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:37 pm

The goblin gets a stick and gives a very thorough layout of the village.*

"Walls are 'bout 9-12 feet tall. Depends. Only way in is the gate up front." Points to the west side of the village. "It was busted when I climbed out. Got ladders on the inside. Big building is the chief's hut."

He marks the traps he knows about ((the red squares)).

"Don't know if any of them is working still."

((*This is from the goblin's memory and in dirt so actual distances and locations may vary!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:30 pm

"What are the walls made of? Any weak points or escape tunnels?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Himmak answers the first question quickly,

"Buried tree trunks an clay. No bark on them and no branches but some bumps and stuff. All of'm got a point at the top."

The next question he considers before answering.

"Well, heard that the chief got himself a tunnel. Never seen it but it'd be in his hut if it exists. Weak points? He taps at the south middle portion of the wall. One of the logs leans a bit here. Maybe room for someone real little to squeeze through and up here," he taps the top left corner, "Molk built his hut so its hard to see the wall over it. Gotta walk over to see the corner."