Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:37 am

The man looks terrified and splutters, unlike the captain this guy smells like booze,

"I just woke up and everything was messed up. I got jumped by an old lady, she'd beat me to death. Everyone angry, asleep or wandering around muttering non-sense. Dwarves are all sick."

His eyes widen and he tries to pull away from you.

((Strength to hold on))
----
The guard jumps at your voices and puts her hand on the hilt of her sword.

She looks between the colorful halfling and completely average looking human trying to figure which of you offered aid her. She decides it probably wasn't the halfling.

She looks at Lurn hopefully,

"Please, if you do anything I would appreciate it."

((Go ahead an put your prepared spells in OOC))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:14 am

STR check: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

((If I could use athletics it's a +3))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:25 am

The halfling goes to the guards and starts casting presigitation to clean them up. She looks at the big guy. "Ah'll 'elp ye, Ah clean'd em up so it be eas'r, 'opefully." She assists Lurm with his check.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am

The thief all but throws himself backward away from you, dropping his club in the process, breaking your hold as he sprints throw the mass of Stenrekens before disappearing around a corner.

((Dex save please))
----
The guard give Joe a thankful smile and scans up and down the street nervously. Both Joe and Lurn can now see people scattered along the wall in various states of confused awareness to contented snoring.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am

"'ow d'd this all 'appen'd? Joe frowns, looking at the guards. She thinks about any sort of magic that could have done such a thing.
Arcana: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Reflexes like a ninja cat:
DEX save: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:06 pm

The guard shakes her head,

"This just happened here after lunch, but I think I saw some people this morning that were sick? I don't know what is happening."

There is clearly something magical happening to those around you but the area of people being impacted and that not everyone has been impacted is odd for a normal spell. Maybe something more alchemical in nature?
---
A wooden stick swishes past her mohawk, hardly even moving the feathers tied into it. She uses her downward momentum to roll and come up facing her attacker... Who is an elderly tiefling woman.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:12 pm

"Oh for the love of... No! I am not fighting you, lady!"

She will back the hell up until she can break away from the old woman (Dodge -> Disengage), then follow the direction the old drunk went. If he's still got his head on his shoulders, it's possible he knows a few quieter ways to pass through town and these crowds are too much of a risk.

((She's not looking to follow or catch the guy necessarily, just get out of the main street and away from elderly lunatics))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm

The old woman swings wildly as Vesri backs up before starting to run in the same direction the thief/drunk ran. She makes it around the same corner and glances back to see the old woman hitting a cart over and over screaming. Making it around the corner she doesn't see her quarry.

((Perception and then... survival I guess?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 pm

I think she'll also keep half an eye out for any ways to climb onto a roof. Not a priority while she escapes the immediate crowd, but she'd like a better view of the town soon enough. This is weird, and running towards a barracks of possibly violent, trained soldiers doesn't seem like quite such a good idea any more...

Perception; Survival: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:38 pm

"Ah feck. Ah think Ah know tha probl'm. Seems like it be alch'mic'l, if it be affectin' so damn'd many people th'n it may be in tha drink."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:34 pm

"Knowing the cause will be good. Can you use your cleaning magic to clean the source?"

Lurn moves to stand by the various incapacitated, and tries to identify those in the most critical condition, casting Spare the Dying on each of them in turn (As a cleric with Grave Domain, the cantrip has range 30' and is a bonus action. I don't know whether that means he can then spend a basic action on casting it again for super speed casting or not.)

Medicine (To identify those in the worst condition): [11]+7 = 18

As he works, Lurn addresses the guardwoman, "With the powers of my Lord, I will stabilise each of them so they are in no danger. If you have moved any in need of urgent care, direct me to them. Once we have ensured no lives are in danger we can leave them to the natural healing process and turn out attention upon the cause of this."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 pm

"Nay, sadly. Me spell only made 'em clean. It don't do much about tha source so if it be tamp'r'd with I cannae do nothin' about it. Lass, wha' did ye eat o drink today?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 pm

"I possess a ritual which can purify food and drink of any poison or disease, so long as the source is not magical. It will require some ten minutes to perform, though, and only works in a small area. If foul water is spreading from some place, we would need to locate the cause before anything can be done."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 am

Vesri sees no sign of the thief but spots some lower buildings (1 story) she could climb and then maybe use to get to a bit higher building? One of the warehouse's doors are wide open so she could go in and find a window on the upper floor as well.

She doesn't recognize the street she's on but she knows she is moving in the right direction to the barracks. Based on the type and quality of the buildings she'd guess she was more than halfway there. This street is more of the same, a number of stumblers, a few mutterers but mostly sleepers. None of those upright appear to be aware of you.

((The area you are in is mostly a mix of low shops/homes and a few 2-3 story warehouse looking buildings. The closer you get to the Prefect's home the nicer and more elven style the houses get. Right here you see some blended attempts to match the ruling class but nothing fancy.))
----
Lurn uses his magic and keen medical eye and finds that while some of the guards look a bit rough none are on the verge of death. One probably has a broken jaw, the swelling makes it hard to tell, and other's hand is mangled. One guard, the elf, is just sleeping.

The guardswoman looks troubled when you say alchemy was involved,

"His lord the Prefect had an alchemist come to town a month ago. Brought him in the east gate on the Prefect's estate, all the guards heard about it. He might be able to help you?"

The guard responds to Lurn's question,

"It's just us five here. Maybe someone else is more hurt in town but I got to guard the gate. A mohawked woman went in to get help at the barracks maybe five minutes ago." She looks worriedly back towards the open gate doors. "Maybe I should just shut it?"

She moves and grunting with the effort starts pushing the thick, reinforced doors closed before heaving a thick beam into place barring it.

She comes back to the two of you and gives a small shake of her head,

"I was running late this morning so I grabbed a biscuit and an apple. I've just been drinking from my canteen," she pats her canteen. "Going to need to get some more soon."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:04 am

"I would not recommend refilling your canteen from anywhere the guards would usually collect water. Something odd was occurring at the western gate, so it would be wise to be on your guard against events targeting the guards. If your water is stored in a small area, I can purify it."

Continuing his magic, Lurn finishes stabilising the guards before brushing off his clothes, "They will live, though they are quite injured. I must preserve my true healing powers for more urgent cases, unfortunately."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:07 am

The guard looks at her canteen warily,

"We get our water from the well over there." She points at a well a hundred or so feet from the gate. "Or that one over there." She points at another one a few hundred feet the other direction. "We all just get our water from the city wells, their all over the place."

She looks at her canteen, opens it and sniffs it.

"I got this from a well last night and I've been drinking all day." She looks stricken, "Maybe its just taking longer with me."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:47 am

Lurn frowns, "Those wells would have far too much water for me to purify. I can at best purify a five foot sphere of food and drink. But at least when water begins running low in this emergency it will be possible to collect water and then have clerics purify it. As for your canteen... I believe it unlikely you would have lasted this long. I would recommend you be sparing with your drinking from this point onward. If those plumes of smoke are not expected, I believe I will have no time to cleanse water for an individual right now."

Turning to face down the street, Lurn rolls his shoulders once, "Can I expect your aid, halfling?"
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:54 am

The guard looks at the sky over the town.

"There's actually less smoke than usual... but its coming from the wrong spots."

She re-attaches her canteen to her belt and looks between Lurn and Joe.

"What are you two going to do? The mohawk lady was going to get healers but if all of town is like this and some people are getting violent I'm not sure its a good idea to try and go through."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 am

"I shan't speak for another, but I intend to seek the one behind this whole matter. If the guards who may suppress any chaos have been poisoned by alchemical means, I believe I may be needing a word with the person who has been brought in recently."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:30 am

The guard listens but shakes her head a bit,

"I never saw him. He came in straight to the Prefect's through East Gate and no one's been talking about him since. I guess someone at the barracks might know where he is at. Or the Prefect's guard at the estate? They mostly dealt with the captain and don't mix with us...you know."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:22 am

Would Vesri know anything about a dwarvish quarter in town, or potential racial tensions in town between dwarves and other folk?

Actually, are there any racial differences in the effects of this? She's seen a sleeping elf, violent humans, and apparently sick dwarves... Is that a pattern that's holding as she moves though town? Let me know if that needs a roll.

As for her actions, she'll dip into the warehouse and see if she can find a window for now.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 am

"Ay will 'elp ye biggun. We need ta restore tha ord'r. 'Ess see if we can find tha alch'mist o tha woman."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 am

"Hm, the Prefect's is our next destination, then. Where in the city is the estate located?"
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:00 am

"Along tha way Ah want ta get some o tha 'ell wat'r ta try ta see what 'as taint'd it. Maybeh we can find us an ant'dote fer this mess."