Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 am

"Hey! Wait a minute! We don't know what's in there!"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am

The bar comes up with a scrape and the door opens slightly before it catches on something. The symbol on the door slowly fades from it's surface.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:21 am

"Ok....Lets all be ready for anything." Jaq will have his longbow ready.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:53 am

"Shit..."

Ves readies her staff.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm

Joe readies a firebolt and peeks at the crack through the door, not opening it further. Per [1d20] = 7

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:24 pm

"Undead serving a demon were inhabiting this place. That bar was put in place only recently. And the seal was made with an infernal language. So either what's in here is a force for good that they sealed away, or an evil so powerful that even they feared it... Let us pray for the former." Lurn readies his shield, moving to the front of the group, just behind Joe since she's intent on sticking her head into the unknown.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:37 pm

Joe leans forward and peers into the small crack provided and sees only darkness as the group's light source is behind her on Kroshav's arm. Listening she mostly hears Lurn move up behind her.

Jolly looks back the way you came from and then at the hallway to the north that disappears into the darkness nervously.

((The alcove to the door is 5 feet off the main corridor. The main corridor is 10 feet wide but the alcove to the junk room is right across from the door as well. I am picturing Joe right at the door, Lurn behind her and Jaq and Ves on either side of Lurn? Kroshav is at the very back of the huddle.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:50 pm

"... Nothing? Shall I step inside and see if whatever was sealed away blasts me?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:52 pm

((Lurn Jenkins!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:59 pm

((He was being half sarcastic, but I mean, Lurn's pretty damn tanky. Basically the tankiest, with 1 less AC than Kroshav but a bit more health (I had to double check that, but I'd forgotten he was still hurt at all). If whatever it is blasts him he can step outside and shut the door again. Probably while telling it that it's incredibly rude.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:36 am

((
► Show Spoiler
Lurn can't see any better in the dark than Joe.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:36 am

Kroshav whispers, "What do you see?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 am

((He can't see in the dark, but he does know Light. And if making himself a shining beacon of holy light makes him an easy target, then so be it. He will be a glorious and admirable easy target.

Also I'm serious, if nobody with darkvision decides to check out what's in there Lurn will straight up illuminate his armour and walk in there.

Actually, I just realise Lurn should be a bit more hurt than his sheet says he is. He would've been up to 30 after the short rest, then took 5 down to 25 from holding the mace. After that he took half 15 damage, so he's down a further... 7 or 8. Does the damage round up? Probably? So instead of the 25 I thought he was on, he'd be on 17? I'm gonna adjust that on the sheet now, with the assumption of rounding up the halved damage. If that's wrong, we can just bump him up a hitpoint.))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:30 am

Ves, confused briefly by the delay at the door, realises that the people trying to see in the dark, can't see in the dark.

"Do you need a torch?"

She stays in the middle of the group next to Jolly. Seeing him look nervously behind them, she asks:

"You hear something back there?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:55 am

”Ah cannae make out anythin’” Joe lets Lurn open the door even more, not wanting to chance it.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 am

"Let me handle this." Changing places with Joe, Lurn fishes a copper coin from his pouch, casts Light on it, says a brief prayer for Guidance, and flicks it through the doorway, looking and listening for any signs of movement.

Perception: 1d20+7+1d4 = [1] = 10
((The 1 would be from the 1d4, so the perception roll itself was a 2... Jeez, with Lurn there's such a massive gap between a nat 1 and a really bad roll XD))
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 am

"If something is in there, it's obviously heard us or seen the door open, so a few of us should back around the doorway in case of some sort of fireball type attack and then someone should just open it. But here, we should distribute these old healing potions about a bit more. " He hands one of the old healing potions each to Joe, Kroshav and Ves. "Put em somewhere you can get to them quick but that they won't break overly easy." After that is done he says, "If no one else wants to open the door, I will."

EDIT: (Ninja'd by Lurn. He'll let him do it if he wants. But would still like to redistribute the healing potions.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:47 am

((At least Natural 1s aren't an automatic failure on skill checks. Of course Natural 20s aren't automatic successes either.))

"Want me to go first?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:17 am

Jolly gives Ves a shake of his head.

"Don't like not being able to see anything ahead or behind."

Lurn takes the initiative, again. He casts light on a coin and reaches over Joe to open the door enough to throw the coin inside and look. The coin pings on the floor inside and lights up the small room (20ft*20ft). In the center of the room it looks like there was a statue of some sort that have been removed and the walls are bare. More interesting is the figure laying pressed to the wall at the room's far wall.

As the coin comes to a rest the figure quickly resolves into a thin, very pale woman with threadbare travel clothing, no shoes and matted dirty hair. The woman sits up quickly and shields her eyes from the suddenly bright room. In a tired voice the woman says, with a northern accent,

"Wha? Leave me alone. I won't serve you or your lord so just kill me and be done with it."

Lowering her hand slightly from her eyes she squints across the distance and makes eye contact with Lurn,

"Who are you? How'd you get past the skeletons and...?"

((I hadn't adjusted the HP since the mace run and Jaq certainly had time to distribute the potions.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:28 am

Seeing the woman, Lurn heads inside and kneels a distance away, "A cleric of Kelemvor, aided by other capable people. The skeletons are sundered and burned, or most of them at least. We've yet to search deeper in for others. Their foul relic has been destroyed also, which took the pool of undeath with it. I can only pray that if it was originally a shrine to a good god they will forgive my sin when considering the corruption." The firbolg extends a hand, palm upward, as if gesturing to support her despite the distance, "And who are you? If they wanted to forcibly turn a person they could have simply dragged them into the pool and let it do the work. Why were you so different as to lock you in here and place a seal over the door?"
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:43 am

Jaq walks in after Lurn, still keeping his bow ready, yet not held up in a threatening manner.
He smiles listening to Lurn, the man is kind but no fool, he is getting the needed information.

If any of the others walk in and look like they are going to walk right up to the woman, Jaq will put a hand on their shoulders to slow them down and let Lurn first get some answers.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am

The woman pushes back away from Lurn and uses the wall to stand while looking between the firbolg, Jaq and the open door and spotting more people in the hallway.

"Kelemvor? What good gods?"

Switching her gaze back to Lurn she says,

"Triss A'lish. Me, I am Triss A'lish. I do not know why they wanted to me to serve them, it never told me...but how did you and," she waves a hand towards the door, "Get by them? I came here alone but still?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:50 am

((I can't remember, and didn't keep good record of if I have used all of Kroshav's Divine Sense (4 per long rest), but if not, he'd give her the sniff test. ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:11 am

((I think you've used three, let me check.

Edit: You have one left, will update with that in a bit.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:40 am

Lurn raises an eyebrow, "You don't know of the gods? Of Kelemvor? He, at least, I thought all cultures knew of. He who overthrew the corrupted God of the Dead, and made the title one which gives the dead protection and peace... But not only that, you don't know of any of the gods..."

At the question of how they got by "them" Lurn shrugs, "I am called Lurn. It is a pleasure to meet you, madam A'lish... There were not so many on the surface. Maybe twenty or so? Give or take a few? I didn't really take the time to count. The lesser skeletons we had not already defeated fell when a greater one was formed, but My Lord's power denies such beings to bring death, so with it alone almost nothing could be done to us." The firbolg pauses for a moment before saying more, "We have burned the majority of the remains, so even those which we did not slay ourselves will not rise again. Perhaps there are more deeper within this place, but that is why we are still on guard."

Examining the woman, Lurn raises a hand to rub his chin, "You seemed to not know of the gods. Where is it that you hail from to be such? I would offer you protection, but sadly I don't know if it would be possible to return you to your homeland..." Suddenly, a thought strikes the large man, "We saw a room holding the items stripped from the dead, but all was rotted waste. You must have carried something with you when you came here, but where, then, did it go to?"

((Sorry to betray Jaq's expectations, but Lurn really is a fool, he's just a curious one. He's got zero suspicion in him.))
My game:

My characters: