Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 am

Lurn hears shuffling inside the walls and frantic whispering followed by a loud scraping of metal on stone. It is quiet a moment and then you hear something yelp in surprise and a gasping that everyone recognizes as having one's breath knocked out of them.

After another minute an armored, flushed head pokes just over the top of the wall.

"Cleric?"

His eyes lock on you and he lets out a choked scream and the head disappears from view and you hear another
heavy thunk on the other side of the wall.

((You can go ahead and try and persuade them if you'd like))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:05 am

"Well he's out cold. You got any healers in town to look him over? This isn't normal..."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:27 am

"I can't leave the gate unguarded."

She looks at you hopefully before continuing, "You take your silver back and get a healer to come here?"

She holds out the silver coins in her hand to you.

((Roll perception))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:29 am

"Yeah, sure, but where will I find one?"

Perception: 1D20+3 = [16]+3 = 19

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:38 am

"You've been here before right? We've got some healers at the barracks, the big stone building beside the Prefect's estate. If you can't find any there you can try Temple Row. A cleric might help?"

Having been here before you notice that other than the clear issues at the gate it is unusually quiet for this time of day on this side of town. The north rim of town is where the dwarven smithies and smelters have thier shops and there was always a lot of noise being generated there, from before dawn until well after dusk. You do hear indistinct shouting coming from further into town.

((You have been there, right?))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:57 am

((Sure, she probably knows the rough layout of the city and major areas, but not details. Mostly, she'd come in to replenish supplies, get news, find a job and leave again - she's far happier out of towns :) ))

"All right, I'll see what I can do. Take him inside somewhere though - noone needs to see him in this state. Give the man a bit of dignity for forks sake!"

Vesri stuffs her hand in her pocket, searching for the witches stone* she carries around for luck and heads inside towards the barracks.

*Literally a smooth, flat stone with a worn hole in the middle. It does absolutely nothing except make her feel better.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:05 am

"Yes, I am a cleric. If your town is having troubles with the undead, perhaps I can provide aid in putting them to rest."
Persuasion: [11]+3 = 11

The events happening on the other side of the wall are... Concerning to Lurn. The guards seemed concerned about that merchant being a ghost or zombie, and now there seemed to be some sort of problems on the other side of the gate. Focusing his powers, the firbolg attempts to locate any beings wrongfully denied their graves.
(Eyes of the Grave, Domain Feature: Until the end of the next turn, know the location of any undead within 60' which aren't behind full cover or protected from divination magic.)
Thing is... Would a wall between them count as full cover, or is that blocking terrain?

((I figure, I have five uses of Eyes of the Grave per long rest, and if this isn't a time to use it, when is, eh?))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 am

The guard nods, smiles appreciatively, and begins dragging the captain towards what appears to be a small guardhouse.

As Vesri starts making her deeper into town she comes across people stumbling around, yelling at seemingly nothing, sleeping on the street and the remains of what appear to be a few fights. No one else she comes across seems to be functioning, though some try to talk at her as she goes by slurring their words badly enough she can't understand them. The few dwarves she sees seem to be/have been violently ill and are covered in their own sick.

Some windows have smoke coming out of them but nothing big seems to be burning, yet.

About a quarter of the way in an impromptu roadblock has been made from fallen crates and a few wagons, in some cases with animals still attached and people still in the wagons. There are smaller roads going right and left from where you were.

((Over, around or back?))
---
((Wall is definitely full cover for those behind it.))

Your reply is met by a shrill yell of what probably was meant to be,

"Ogre!" but mostly sounds like ochre.

You can clearly make out sounds of things being piled against the door.

The halfing, merchant and parrot are not undead.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:28 am

Lurn snorts indignantly, "Ogre?! I am no ogre! Now in the name of Kelemvor, open this gate so I may return your dead to their graves!"

Lurn will cast Guidance on himself, and make one last attempt at persuading the guards.

Lurn Persuasion + Guidance: 1D20+3+1D4 = [4]+3+[3] = 10

((Welp, looks like Lurn's going to have to find another gate. >.>))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 am

A small barrage of rocks comes over the wall, way off target, and land behind you on the road. You hear sobbing from behind the gate.

The merchant hasn't slowed their pace and is a good 100 yards away now. You are left alone with a halfing and a parrot. The parrot is looking at you.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:33 am

Vesri holds the stone a little bit tighter and carefully approaches the roadblock, looping to one side and trying to keep out of sight for now, but it's the middle of the day and apparently no-where to hide too well.

Stealth: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9

Still, if there's people trapped inside the wagons for some reason, she'd be looking to try and get them out or at least check if they're ok.

(( :shock: Maybe we didn't need to worry about Lurn's god-like stats after all! ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:40 am

The people in the wagons seem to be either out cold like the captain or pretty out of it. The animals also don't seem to be acting normally, moving erratically.

((If you decide to go over the block give me an athletics or acrobatics. Lurn isn't playing to his SUPER strengths yet, but neither has Vesri and she's being doing pretty well!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 am

She's got a cold and isn't feeling fancy, she'll just (try to) climb over :)

Athletics: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13

((Apparently 13 is my number for this game. Good thing she's not superstitious :paranoia: ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:50 am

The boxes are a bit wobbly but staying close to a wall Vesri manages to get over them without incident. From her vantage she can see more of the same ahead of her, though the number of individuals seems higher.

One person a good ways off appears to be rummaging through unconscious people's pockets.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:51 am

Joe looks offended at the guards. "Are ye daft?! This ain't no demon! It be a parr't! An' this fell'r ain't no damn'd ogre! Why ye be so feckin' squir'ly? Ye be newblood o just incomp'nt?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 am

There is no response to your yelling.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 am

Hoping that this is a sign that someone may still have their (unethical) wits about them in this strange town, Vesri tries to blend in with the crowd a bit until she can get close enough to put her hand on the thief's shoulder.

Stealth: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

Assuming she's successful, she will say:
"Are you still sane? I could use some information on what's going on in this place."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 am

((He's only got three godlike stats, and none of them are charisma. Also, Lady Luck seems to just not like me right now. XD))

Lurn lets out a harrumph and turns to the halfling. This was clearly a situation in need of a cleric, and these fools were sending him away. "You there. It seems this gate will not be opening any time soon. Time to go around." Turning to the north, the large man began plodding around the city, towards another gate.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 am

"Imma gonna talk to yer superi'r about this!" The halfling follows the big guy.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 am

Vesri crawls her way towards the man going through pockets to avoid attracting attention but the presumptive thief is too busy to notice the mohawk approaching him like a shark in the ocean.

As you take them by the shoulder they whirl around holding a club and trying to pull back from you. Their face is pretty messed up like they've been in a fight or two today.

"You get the fork away from me! These are mine you can find yer own!"

((Roll perception))
-----
You arrive at the north gate to find a guard woman dragging unconscious, bloody guards to a small side building.

She doesn't seem to notice either of you.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:32 am

Perception: 1D20+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Vesri tightens her grip on his jacket and growls:

"I don't want your bloody coins, I want information. What the fork is happening in this town? When did all this chaos start?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:05 am

The halfling looks at the open gate and gives a heavy sigh as she watches the choas. "Oi! What tha feck is goin' on?! Why ye'd be carrin' 'em an why is everythin' all feck'd up?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:06 am

Lurn gives a start at the scene before him, approaching rapidly, "Are you in need of a healer? I have knowledge of medicine and the gifts of my god allow me to preserve the lives of those who are severely wounded."

... I should've chosen prepared spells for starting off - I probably would have included some sort of healing. But since I was forgetful, I guess we'll just have Lurn not be prepared for anything but cantrips and some mace bashing.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 am

The halfling quickly follows the giant, not wanting to get closed outside once more.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 am

Oh! Before the guard notices them, Lurn should trigger Disguise Self from his racial traits to make himself appear human. Don't want more "ogre" nonsense.
My game:

My characters: