Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:30 pm

The owlbear pauses and shifts back, briefly confused by getting roared at by food. It shrieks again, perhaps a bit questioning.

((It's definitely wasn't expecting that, run Charlie run!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Kroshav thumps his heels into Charlie's sides, the big horse well motivated to gallop after the others.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:50 pm

((if everyone is just going to do the same we can go to the top of the initiative at the new starting positions.))

Initiative:

Owlbear 1
Jaq <-----
Ves
Lurn
Kroshav
Joe
Jolly

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:45 pm

Jaq will move his horse forward, hoping the others can get out of reach of the owlbear. He will ready an attack with his longbow, if the beast ends up being far enough away from any party members that he can attack without chance of missing and hitting one of them. Overall, he is hoping they all get to flee without a fight.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Yup, kick and dash!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 pm

((I think Joe will be controlling the horse now? So Lurn's just keeping his balance until an owlbear gets too close.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:29 am

((Joe has got control of the horse now, yes.

And you can go ahead and make the attack/damage roll for Jaq. Kroshav is going to clear away and give the shot Jaq is looking to make.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 am

((Oh, right, we're attacking the bear... Owl... Owlbear. I suppose might as well pile more damage on after that. Not doing anything else with my actions.))

Lurn TtD: 1D8 = [5] = 5
1D12 = [7] = 7

(Both damage rolls made, in case Jaq misses.)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:59 am

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14

in case that hits.
Longbow damage: 1D8+5 = [4]+5 = 9

I'm assuming the moving away with the horse and then shooting isn't affecting in any way how far I can get from the owlbear, correct?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:03 am

Joe fires a firebolt and then she will make the horse move as far as possible away from the owlbears.
Firebolt: 1D20+4 = [8]+4 = 12
1D10 = [10] = 10

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:04 am

((Well, you are shooting instead of dashing, so yes. Jaq is 60ft closer than he could be. Same with Joe/Lurn. Nope))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 am

The owlbear shrieks in rage seeing its meal dash away and attempts to pursue Kroshav. Jaq fires off an arrow at the owlbear as it attempts to close in on Kroshav again, striking it squarely in the shoulder. The creature doesn't even appear slow. Joe leans around Lurn and hurls a firebolt behind them but keeping track of the reins, leaning and not being able to see the creature well in the dark results in a near miss.

Another shriek can be heard behind the group on the road but nothing is visible in the darkness. Ves continues to race forward, her horse using the light provided by Jolly.

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-9)
Jaq <-----
Ves
Lurn
Kroshav
Joe
Jolly

((The owlbear is 40ft west of Kroshov. Ves and Jolly are 10ft to the south and 60 ft to the east of the owlbear. Jaq is 20 ft south and 50 ft east. Lurn/Joe are 20 ft south and 50 ft east.

Just let me know if you are doing anything more than simply dashing ahead!))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:57 am

Nope, once seeing it in it's full power, Jaq is just running away on his horse at this point!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am

((I had rolls up above for a Toll The Dead spell, realise now that I never actually said what those were. I shouldn't post when tired. >.>))

For when Lurn's turn rolls around again, another Toll The Dead: Lurn TTD: 1D12 = [12] = 12
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am

((And I should have asked! Not a problem:

Owlbear 1 Wis save 1: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
the bell doesn't toll for this owlbear...yet.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Joe has the horse run as fast as possible away from the giant predator. She had hoped the 'meat' would have distracted it, but alas.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Everyone heads as fast as they can away from the owlbear, Lurn taking another moment to ring the bells of death for the beast. This time the owlbear stumbles as it shakes its head violently from a sound only it can hear. It recovers from the stumble and continues its pursuit of Kroshav but is quickly left behind and is only just visible.
A shriek from the west beyond the first owlbear is quickly followed by a shriek to the east as another owlbear enters Ves' view and veers to intercept her.

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21)
Jaq <-----
Ves
Lurn
Kroshav
Joe
Jolly
Owlbear 3

((Owlbear 1 is 85ft west of Kroshov. Ves and Jolly are 10ft to the south and 105 ft to the east of owlbear 1. Jaq is 20 ft south and 95 ft east. Lurn/Joe are 10 ft south and 100 ft east.

Owlbear 3 is 10ft south and 80 east of Kroshov. Ves and Jolly are 60 ft to the west of owlbear 3. Jaq is 10 ft south and 70 ft west. Lurn/Joe are 65 ft west.

I am going to get you a map in a few. I also noticed that I messed up Lurn/Joe´s position last round, corrected now.

Also adjusted the distances from owlbear three a bit to account for the front of the horses...

And map))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:25 pm

With a second owlbear appearing to intercept, Lurn will, on his turn, mutter a brief incantation for Guidance, then yell out at the beast (Speech of Beast And Leaf ensuring it understands his words, and giving him advantage on persuasion);
"Leave us be! If the villains that fled from us on foot are too much for you to chase, you'll find nothing but suffering against us."

Lurn Persuasion (Advantage)+Guidance: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3+1D4 = [6, 8]+3+[1] = 12

((Well, those weren't very good rolls. XD))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:14 am

Lurn shrieks at the owlbear to the east who in turn shrieks back at Lurn. It doesn't, however, seem to be less interested in eating anyone.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:39 am

Kroshav pulls a face and bellows and roars at this one as he rides to the north of it.

Intimidation: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 am

Run run away from the owl bear. Make the horse dash away.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:51 am

Ves puts herself between the owlbears and Jolly and spurs their horses forwards (horse dash).

I have no idea if I can have her (not the horse) take the dodge action while she's mounted, but if so, she'll give it a shot.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:20 am

Everyone swerves around the new owlbear as best they can, Kroshav taking the time to roar at it as it proved to be effective before. The owlbear is clearly confused by the roaring but seemingly had already picked Ves as its target. Turning surprisingly quickly for such a large creature the owlbear ignores the other riders and goes straight for Ves and only barely manages to catch up with her. It is so close she can almost feel it behind her, and her horse wretches its head to the side, away from Jolly. ((Animal handling please))

The other owlbear falls into the darkness behind them.

Initiative:

Owlbear 1 (-21)
Jaq <-----
Ves
Lurn
Kroshav
Joe
Jolly
Owlbear 3

((Ves is now owlbear adjacent. If you can attack while riding you should be able to dodge while riding. Pending the result of the animal handling, of course.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 am

With the new owlbear attacking Ves, when Lurn's turn rolls around he'll hit it with a Toll The Dead.
Lurn TTD: 1D8 = [8] = 8
1D12 = [7] = 7

((Tired, so just a simple post like this to avoid holding things up while I sleep.))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 am