Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:11 am

((I just remembered that she lost a couple of snares a day or two ago. Ves would have remembered about that, and I'd like to replace them - can we retcon it happening in Timmer? Or if it should happen here instead, that's fine too, I'm just not that fussed about RPing it unless it's necessary)).

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:27 am

Jaq goes with Ves as she goes to collect berries, assisting and learning as he can. If he sees an intriguing plant he asks Ves what it is.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:13 am

((It happened in Timmer, that's fine. How much would a snare cost? Call it 4 copper.

Is Jaq still trying to learn the old Dwarven runes?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:26 am

"Heh, thanks. Ah can teach ye but it may take a while ta get tha hang o it. It took me a few decades."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 am

Kroshav will hand over the money for the horses.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:12 am

Ves happily lets Jaq tag along, but isn't keen to linger too long with teaching him stuff in the rain at night. Instead she shows him a common plant with edible roots and bitter leaves and sends him off to dig up a couple. Once they're back at the shelter, she'll show him which bits of the plant are worth eating and when, and how salting the leaves for a while in water helps to draw the bitter taste out.

"Not the best time of year for these, but good enough in a pinch and they're easy to find. Won't kill you either! The roots are still good enough, but the leaves are more work. Not worth eating at all later in the summer, but for now they're young enough to be eatible. For humans anyway. Lot of gnomes'll eat these all year round. Don't seem to mind the flavour at all. Never fed them to a dragonborn or a firbolg though so we'll see what happens."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:36 am

Jaq nods and listens intentively, "Thanks Ves, If I'm going to be travelling about, I need to learn more about the wilds."
He tastes the leaves and scrunches up his face. "Yeah, not really going to be my go to food, unless I'm really hungry."

Yes, At down time at camp, Jaq will continue to study the dwarven runes and the papers he got to help him learn.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:44 am

((Lurn and I are decent at Survival, but if we ask to take Nature lessons from Ves, what are the odds that she gets too frustrated to continue before we kill ourselves?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am

The Gnomish woman takes the money and slips it into a pocket before saying,

"Well, have a good night out in the rain boys! You can pick up the horses whenever you like but if you leave them here past noon you will need to pay another night."

She returns to her sweeping.
---
Jaq and Ves return to camp snares set and plants gathered dripping wet. Jaq's hands are muddy from pulling up the roots but he now knows something to eat that won't kill him. Jolly doesn't stir as Joe tends the fire. Lurn and Kroshav dry themselves having found the little camp while the others two were in the woods.

((Any watch? What order? Also perception roll from those on watch. It is dark and drizzling still.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:07 am

Ves will take a later watch since she has dark-vision, and leave the dusk/dawn watches to those without.

If Ves is going to start teaching wilderness cuisine classes, you'll be getting charged a fee :lol:

Ves is about to start stripping off her wet clothes when she remembers Joe.

"Dont suppose your water trick works on clothes too does it? My coat and cloak are good, but even they have their limits and I can feel the damp starting to get in."

((Does Ves know anything more about those boots IC by the way? Im assuming OOC that they give advantage to stealth rolls, but I'm not sure how much she'd have picked up on.))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 am

((Perception please))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:10 pm

"We plan to head out in the morning.

Kroshav will take the first watch, and spends some time digging a shallow latrine a few dozen feet from camp, and if there seem to be any rivulets making their way through camp, will do a bit of trench work to divert them, making sure to warn folks so no one breaks a leg tripping over one in the night.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:16 pm

((No perception?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:32 pm

((Thought you were asking for Ves's boots. Watch makes more sense. :roll: ))

1d20+1 = [20] = 21
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 pm

((Oh, totally missed that Thinks had updated her post!))

The more Ves moves around in her new (water proof) boots the more clear it becomes that they don't make any sound as she steps. Even purposely stomping on a pile of leaves or a branch makes no noise. When she takes them off she notices they still smell vaguely of soil and forest rather than the normal foot funk.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Jaq will sleep the first four hours and then, fully rested, will take, or assist, with the rest of the watches.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Kroshav takes the first watch and finds an excellent place to dig a lantrine. He spends his watch sloshing around the woods, digging and generally would make it hard for others to sleep had they not all been so tired. He doesn't see anything but does hear what sounds like a wagon come from the east towards the village. Based on the sighs of relief from the wagon's occupants they are happy to see the little village. Kroshov wakes Ves when his watch ends. She spends her watch much more quietly and doesn't hear or see anything than the soft patter of rain on the tarp over her head interrupted by the occasional louder drop from a tree branch.

She wakes Jaq to take over. Jaq comes out of his mediation with an odd taste in his mouth. He spends the majority of his watch distractedly trying to get the taste out. It is vaguely like the leaf he ate but it seems to have made his tongue slightly numb too. He manages to finally get the taste out of his mouth as the sun begins rising. He doesn't think he heard or saw anything...

Jaq's perception1d20+2 = [5] = 7

((New day!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Kroshav will have a quick breakfast of rations on his way to reclaiming their horses with whoever wants to join him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Ves will leave kroshav to the horses while she supervises the packing and goes to check her snares. She'll pull together some breakfast for everyone as well if they want some.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 pm

"Ev'n if it didnae, Ah can still clean ye with pres'g'tat'n." Joe pulls the water away from Ves.

Joe will take whatever watch is closest to dawn, keeping the fire lit. Joe Average per [1d20] = 5

She's more worried a out her bird than the watch itself.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

"Ev'n if it didnae, Ah can still clean ye with pres'g'tat'n." Joe pulls the water away from Ves.

Joe will take whatever watch is closest to dawn, keeping the fire lit. Joe Average per [1d20] = 5

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:20 pm

((You just missed the watches Burns, it's morning now - also three times?))

The rain from the night before has lessened slightly but still hasn't stopped as Kroshav heads back the short way to town. He spots the hairy man from the night before by a largish barn looking building near the shop. As the dragonborn approaches the man spots him and directs him wordlessly into the warm, dry stables. There are a dozen others horses stabled along with a couple of oxen. The bearded man helps Kroshav ready the horses without a word and gives him a nod.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Kroshav nods in return before leading the animals back to camp, scratching Charlie between the ears.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler