Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:31 pm

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:19 am((unless it is a typo?))
((Absolutely was a typo. Was meant to be "no trouble with us."))

"The hobs who escaped may be a problem, in the future, but there's little we can do about it now."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:34 am

((Okay, that they understood.))

The bugbears look concerned at the mention of the escapees and all look to be ready to leave.

Joe finds a greatsword, some dinged up half-plate and a hempen necklace with a large tooth on it. Maybe he's got something under the armor though?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 am

Joe tries to take the armour off. ”A little ‘elp here?”

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:03 am

Ves nods to the bugbears.

"If we find any more of your people, we'll do what we can for them. I've got no love for slavers. What clan are you with? Do you need any equipment from your captors?"

When the bugbears leave, Ves will move around the camp and tally the hobgoblin corpses, helping the others strip whatever goods they think are worth keeping.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 am

"The goblins or bugbears should get any loot on the hobgoblins, they were the ones being kept slaves, and their friends and family killed... Unless it's something they get in trouble for having."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:51 am

"Agreed. We asked for safe passage and the hobgoblins' coin in exchange for helping. We leave the rest."

((I forgot the agreement before I had Ves help, but she can just be helping the goblins))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:20 am

((I forgot about the agreement until you mentioned it, that was just Kroshav's sense of what's right! :) ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:23 pm

The bugbears look up from moving out and then at the hobgoblins on the offer of getting their stuff. None of them seem interested in taking more than than what they already have, though on the reminder one reaches up to his neck and lifts his fur to reveal a thin leather strap that he quickly tears off and drops. The others quickly follow suit, spitting after the band.

On the question of clans they shrug. The more chatty of the group says in goblin to Ves,

"We mostly ain't got no clans. We travel in groups an' would trade with the gobs and hobs sometimes picking up and loosing members as we went. Sometimes live with hobs and gobs. Hobs got real mean bout a year back an' stopped letting us move bout like we used. Made us stay and work and fight only for them. Lotsa bugbears didn't like that and we fought but they caught us, caged us, beat us. Only let us out when they'd taught us." He snarls at that as do the rest of the bugbears. They heft their companion and nod to the party before moving out of the village and to the east, opposite the direction the hobs went.

Himmak arrives from the front gate, along with half a dozen other goblins, moving cautiously. When they see the older woman and pair of injured males they move more quickly up and then into the hut. Inside the hut cries of happiness and sadness quickly follow. Himmak approaches the older goblin woman proudly, with a swagger starts saying something that is cut off by the wrinkled fist to his nose that lands him on his seat. Spitting blood he looks up at her angrily and pulls a stone blade as he rises towards her but stops when the longsword carrying goblin lifts it in his direction. Spitting and snarling he replaces the knife and heads north in the village.

The older goblin mutters something uncomplimentary behind him and turns to address the party in relatively good common,

"I under that Himmak has made an agreement with you? While he had no right to do so we will honor it to the best of our limited ability." More goblins come out of the hut now to listen. The newer arrivals looking sheepish.

Jolly walks over to the old woman and offers her the long sword he picked up. The injured goblin beside her steps forward and takes it, again barely able to lift it. Chuckling, Jolly turns and goes to help check the other bodies.

Loot:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:38 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:56 am After the greeting, Kroshav will put away his blade and gently take the goblins injured arm, Laying on Hands for 1HP (if that seems to improve it enough, if not, another).

He'll then do the goblin hand clasp again with him.
((Kroshav is willing to do some more spot healing.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Ves offers the older matriarch a deferential greeting (whatever that looks like amongst goblinkind) and says:

In goblin: "Himmak found us in the forest and told us of what the hobgoblins did. I don't know if they targeted you because of us or not, but none of us have any love of slavers and your people have always traded fairly enough with us. We asked him for safe passage through your lands with a guide, and the coin from the hobgoblins. But we'll only take the coin if you have no use for it.

I did have one other favour to ask you, since you seem to be far smarter and have far more authority than Himmak there. We recently traded with your people for this little box, but it seems to be missing a key. Do you have it?"

In common: "Jaq, you got that box that's helping your hand?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:41 pm

((Always miss that last post of the previous page.))

When the older goblin sees what Kroshav does she says something and another, younger female takes Kroshav into the hut a points at a half dozen unmoving goblins on the floor.

The goblin elder accepts the honoric from Ves and nods as she explains,

"I am glad Himmak didn't sell the village. No, we keep the deal. The coins are yours and of little worth to us." She looks warily at Ves after all the flattery expecting a big ask but instead only snorts on seeing the box. "No. No key. Your trade got you the not-fall stick and the no-open box, yes? We find items in the Cut sometimes. Sometimes good, other times..." She gestures at the box, "not good."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Kroshav will drop 1HP into each to start.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:31 pm

Ves laughs.

"That's fair, I just wanted to ask. Where do the hobgoblins come from? If they're causing you and the bugbears this much trouble, it's something worth keeping an eye on. If the city elves get wind of it, they're going to start sending patrols out and maybe you want to watch out for that... Those guys... Well, they're the forking worst. But this isn't news we'll be able to keep quiet about for too long. Rumours were already spreading before we came out here." ((I think))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Jaq would take a look at the book written in Elvish.
Flipping through it quickly to see if he found anything important written in it other than poetry or anything between the pages.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:40 pm

"There have always been hobs to the east, along the river but now there are many more. Perhaps they come from the far side of the mountains but I do not know. They are stirring up trouble for all that call this place home."

((The hobgoblins had attacked, using bugbears, Grenmyr a few weeks back and were the reason for the disrupted patrols along the road. The patrol you met was aware of something going on with the hobs.))

Flipping through the book of poetry Jaq sees several instances of Dwarven letters scrawled on the margins of the book's pages but they don't spell any words he recognizes in Dwarven.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 am

Lurn will go with Kroshav to see if anyone needs healing, and seeing the number will put a hand on Kroshav's shoulder, "See to any who need immediate care, but only stabilise them, save the rest of your energy. I have an art prepared to provide healing to groups."

That said, he begins chanting Prayer of Healing.
Prayer of Healing: 2D8+5 = [7, 3]+5 = 15
After ten minutes of chanting, the six goblins recover 15hp.
(Kind of a shame that it's not a Ritual, since it would be a good way to recover in downtime like this if not for costing spell slots.)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:13 am

Kroshav will wait, but drop a HP into anyone who seems like they won't last until Lurn is done. The firbolg seems to have it under control, so he heads out to keep watch for hobs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:58 am

Kroshav checks the room quickly and finds that one of the goblins has already passed and the others will last long enough for Lurn to heal the worst of their hurts. Several other goblins stand and watch from the entrance and just inside it. They begin murmuring to themselves as five of the six goblins begin to stir weakly and even open their eyes. Many of those watching run to the newly revived speaking quickly and happily.

Two young goblins move to the body of the goblin that had already passed placing their hands on his face and chest gently and speaking softly, pleadingly. An adult goblin, one of those that just entered the village, pushes past them and lifts the body to his chest and holds it for a long moment. Shuddering, the adult scoops the corpse into his arms and says something to the young goblins before turning to leave the hut. As they walk by Lurn he can see the young ones are silently crying as they follow and the older one gives Lurn a tight nod, his jaw clenched.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 am

Lurn returns the nod sadly before standing and looking over the room. He had done what he could, but returning the dead was beyond his abilities, and to linger on the failures would do no good. Death came eventually, regardless. Deciding that those present have recovered as much as is reasonable for him to extend his powers for, with a hard day still ahead, he silently heads outside, seeking out Kroshav, where the large man lets out a soft sigh, "Tending to the dead and dying is a part of my order's duties, but it is still a sad thing. By rights, by my duty to my Lord, I should be offering to provide a funeral, but I worry that they wouldn't take well to an outsider with no understanding of their customs intruding... It feels as though as the only other man of faith in our group, even if we serve different gods, you would be the only one to confess this to."
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:14 am

Jaq is intrigued by the book, not so much by the poetry; though that is a bonus that it will be something nice to read by the campfire on some boring evening; but moreso by the dwarven letterings. Maybe it was some sort of secret message.
He brings the poetry book up to the older female goblin who seems like she might be in charge.
"This is written in Elvish. If it is of no use to your tribe, may I ceep it, please?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 am

Joe will ritually cast detect magic on the loots while the others try to heal the goblins, not wanting to deal with death.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 am ...not wanting to deal with death.
((Other than killing and looting, of course. ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:24 am

Jaq shows the book to the elder who squints at and flips through a few pages, pausing to look at the dwarven script.

"We have no use for this beyond its value as fire starter or for cleaning the young, none can read your peoples writing here. This," she points at the dwarven letters with a look of distate, "is a note in goblin on the beauty of what is written. One of these hobs could read your writing." She hands the book back and wipes her hands on her robe without seeming to think about it.

((And no, you will not get me to write Elven poetry for you to read. There will be a freak lightning storm if you ask.))

Joe finds that none of the loot is magical.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:30 am

spiderwrangler wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:17 am
Arch Lich Burns wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:15 am ...not wanting to deal with death.
((Other than killing and looting, of course. ))
Once she is done, she will put the coin in bag of holding for now and go back to the others.
(She doesn’t want to deal with ally’s deaths.)