Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:39 pm

We've got about 3 inches that's slowly melting away, supposed to get pretty cold through Wednesday, but not sure if that means the snow will stick around, or if we'll just have icy slush.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:21 am

People in parts of Virginia had a white christmas actually...not three inches but enough that everything was white...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Snow doesn't even exist where I live.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:21 am

I have noticed more than half of this campaign has been time on the road so I am probably going to shorten the 'in game' travel this time around to get to destinations in less than a year of real time.

Any objections? Thoughts?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:26 am

The travel times have been eventful, at least, so I've not really paid it any mind, but shortening them would allow for more major events rather than random encounters.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 am

I'm with Dlover on this. The travel time hasn't been a drag and has been fun, so it hasn't been any issue. It is just the fact that we are online doing this that makes everything take longer.
It didn't really seem that interactions were really random encounters, which is cool.
My take on online D&D is that the DM has to remember that any random encounter could end up being a weeks long combat. That's not absolutely a bad thing, though. Sometimes a great fight for the fight's sake is very cool.
If plot snippets are somehow included in them, or cool items needed or used after, or information, then it doesn't seem to be random at all...or no longer is random...
So it's all great then.
But 4 random fights with no development would kinda make it seem like a long trek.

But neither you nor spider do that, so it has been a non-issue.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:00 am

I certainly have had things get away from me! In person, I usually have a loose framework and improv a lot of stuff... with online, I have so much more time to come up with stuff, I sometimes end up packing a years worth of content into something that wasn't intended to take nearly that long!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am

Glad it that they haven't felt like they were dragging it out. You've managed to roll poorly enough that you got to experience most of my random encounter list in the forest. Every encounter is connected to ongoing situations so they are not entirely random.

This last encounter was actually two random encounters as one because wow that was a bad roll.

So, as no one seems too worried about it, I will for the sake of time speed things up by cutting out some of the travel fluff!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:15 pm

So, a thought; Did we have any clue how thick the ground actually is here? 'cause if it's thick enough to support itself even with a big hole, we could potentially use Shatter to just break all the ground around the boulder and thus have a lot more leverage space?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:17 am Joe, from her previous investigation, knows the floor is half a foot thick.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:20 am

I, apparently, lack the ability to read. So, half a foot... Okay, I have no clue about whether that's structurally sound if we break a large area.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:31 am

Would probably depend on the size of the room, supports, etc. Seems like the boulder isn't going to be feasible, so I'm in favor.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:07 am

She does not have shatter prepared today anyways.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:04 am

Archive room layout, N-S looks like (in feet):

15 - end corridor
60 - shelf length
10 - intermediate corridor
60 - shelf length
20 - middle corridor
60 - shelf length
10 - intermediate corridor
60 - shelf length
15 - end corridor

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 am

Feel like I was rusty this whole fight, kept forgetting bless, probably should have used flame breath at some point!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:04 am

At least you didn't start the fire. There were soooooo many of those spiders.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm

I really didn't think you'd go out of your way to antagonize the spiders. All of them.

At least you can count on Jaq maybe saving you. Possibly.

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:40 pm

Sooooo how would one go about only atagonizing a few without upsetting the whole nest?

If not, it’s fine I like creating characters and I may or may not already have a few ideas.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:24 pm

Not going to reveal the magic behind the curtain just yet!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:37 pm

Lost, you make me nervous with how ready you are to dump your characters at a moment's notice!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:41 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:37 pm Lost, you make me nervous with how ready you are to dump your characters at a moment's notice!
I’m sorry, Maybe I accept my characters death a bit too easily and am a bit pessimistic about chances of survival? I only really started making a sheet earlier today.

Edit: If it makes you feel better I haven’t really done extra characters for sundered... And I don’t think Zokk’s personality isnt yet fleshed out....

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:05 pm

LOL, we aren't dead yet, unless there are more hidden ones, we might be okay yet. At the moment Jaq and Lurn are at least conscious. But yeah, I think Jaq and Lurn are the two most thinking ahead of what might happen characters, and Kroshav a bit more just do what is right and don't think about it, and Joe is ... the emotional don't think much about it all. If we survive, I think Jaq might have to try to explain surviving to Joey.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:14 pm

There's been at least once where you said something along the lines of 'well, Zokk's probably dead, should I roll up a new character?'

:lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

The Lost
Indulges in Conversation

Post by The Lost » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Yea Joe....doesn't really think much ahead and she may have some anger issues.

:lol: I wouldn't put it past me honestly, spider.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:19 pm

NotStickFigures wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:05 pmI think Jaq and Lurn are the two most thinking ahead of what might happen characters
Excuse me? The man who saw a demonic altar and decided "I'm gonna break this thing by *grabbing it with my bare hands and running.*" is one of the ones that thinks ahead most? This is terrible, terrible news. XD

I'm going to give him a pass on the arm incident, though, considering it seemed like it was exclusively a one-way portal.

In current news, though, maybe the spiders will just paralyse us and take us away. It seemed like they weren't hostile initially, they just wanted to put out the fire, but since Joe was gonna panic and attack them we started a brawl. Might be that they have some sort of intelligent leadership, considering the first one I laid the smack down on seemed to go back to their room for something, probably communicating our presence.
My game:

My characters: