Tests and Trials OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 am

Yeah, I'm not sure if I used a the third spell slot I got at 3rd level or not... might have only used 2.

HP: 1D10+2 = [10]+2 = 12

Niiiiice!

ASI/Feat wise, I'm leaning towards Sentinel over bumping CON and CHA. Getting a 12 HP boost makes that extra 4 from bumping CON less immediate.

Sacred Flame: + most things aren't resistant to radiant damage, no cover benefit, damage scales with level (4.5, 9, 13.5...); - lots of things have a decent Dex save, in which case no damage (though you have a high DC)

Shillelagh: + decent average damage right now (9.5), 1 min duration without needing conc, allows you to deal magical attack damage which bypasses many things resistant to bludgeoning otherwise; - damage won't scale with level, requires you getting into melee range (though you have AC and HP to hang there)

Magic Stone: + decent average damage (8.5) and even better if you have three people to throw (25.5! Toll the Dead averages 26 only once you're a level 17 character!), can potentially make combat use of otherwise non-combat NPCs, better first range than any other thrown weapon; - much weaker if you're the only one throwing, no long range increment (hard stop at 60 ft thrown)

Sanctuary is handy in certain conditions for sure. It does burst if the creature it's on attacks or damages an enemy, but can be used to protect an injured ally to give them a chance to retreat, or since it's a bonus action (with no conc), if you're stuck facing down a hard hitting baddie, you can attack, sanctuary to weather their counter attack, then attack next turn.

Guiding Bolt does good damage for a 1st level spell, and gives the next attack advantage, which is always good, but has nice synergy with Jaq's sneak attack in particular.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:28 am

MTG? Is there stuff from that in D&D now?

Oh, and there've been more thoughts:
Instead of Shillelagh, I could pick up Thorn Whip or Mold Earth, and stick with backline cleric stuff. Alternately, War Caster would help out if I want to go for frontline stuff, giving advantage on maintaining Bless or Bane.

I'm leaning toward taking Sacred Flame and Magic Initiate for Magic Stone at least, which leaves one druid cantrip. You're right about the pros and cons, too. Since we have Jolly we've got at least one for throwing them, and if Joe can resummon her bird that may make a second?

As for the prepared spell, I've already got Guiding Bolt prepared. Just haven't used it much. :P Sanctuary does have the downside of breaking after attacking, but there aren't many other options, and it's not awful.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:33 am

Hells yeah! Level 4!!

Level 4 HP: 1D8+1 = [4]+1 = 5

Ill take the average (5) to take her to 30 HP. There are some fun feats to consider for later, but for now I'm taking DEX as the ASI (+2)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 am

So many fun feats. I've got a damn gremlin murmuring options to me. Many of them just plain bad. Like saying War Caster lets you use an AOO on allies to cast healing spells on them, despite it specifically saying Hostile Creature. Sadly, said gremlin also pointed out to me that familiars can't attack, so that's a loss on Magic Stone. But hey, we don't all have superpowered range anyway.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:58 am

At least cleric can prep new spells each day, so you can always swap.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am

Yeah, not being locked into one spell set is really nice.
My game:

My characters:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 am

Okay, so for my Cantrip I'm going to take Sacred Flame. For the ASI/Feat, I want to check with what everyone thinks. Do you guys want Lurn to be a better tank or backline support? Or are we secure enough to get some flavour? 'cause I really want to get Magic Stone and the second cantrip is going to be either Shillelagh, Thorn Whip, or Mold Earth. Honestly I can probably strike off Thorn Whip, since I shouldn't really need... four ranged attack cantrips, all with different damage types.

In other news, I was looking at spells Xanathar's adds for clerics, and Temple of the Gods is such an amazing spell. Sure, it's a level 7 spell, but it gives a 24 hour sanctuary that only Disintegrate can break into, with a door only beings the caster designates can open. Basically so long as nobody has Disintegrate you've got an eternal safe space. Which is something I find hilarious, having just a "Things are bad summon the safety house" spell. Only downside is the 1 hour casting time, so you have to expect the bad times.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:30 am

Do the one that sounds most fun for you and go with the flavour! We'll figure out surviving :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:06 am

Flavor wise, I liked having Mold Earth on my grave cleric dwarf. Made all the graves he dug much easier to dig.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:08 am

Yes! And it's a surprisingly useable cantrip for some emergency tactical cover / trap making when you're caught in the open.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 am

Digging graves is the main reason I was thinking of it. Makes more thematic sense than Thaumaturgy. The tactical uses are just added bonuses. XD

Alright, for my ASI/Feat I'm taking Magic Initiate (Druid), with my two cantrips being Magic Stone and Mold Earth.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:07 am

I'll be back at a computer tomorrow and can make the updates!

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 pm

I think Jaq will just boost dex.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:04 pm

So, I was shown a thing. Makes it a lot easier to look up details than having to dig through the books. https://5etools.com/5etools.html
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Nice tool! I will have to play around with it a bit.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:08 am

Everything should be updated on the sheet. I added the new items and the miniature building.

@Thinks I only got Ves up to 29 HP (24+5 to 29)?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:17 am

She has +1 CON as well

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:20 am

Bingo

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:51 am

Lurn fears no bugs! Especially not ones that are friendly. Less cute than a big curious spider, but still a nice many-legged friend. :P
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:35 am

Glad they weren't spiders. Then I'd feel the need to have mentioned that spiders don't have mandibles, they have chelicerae. Now I don't have to get picky about spider anatomical terms. What a relief!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:06 am

Phew, dodged a bullet there!
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:05 am

Okay, since Burns is on a break I will let you decide how you'd like Joe to help out.

Joe wanted to do a detect magic on the pile of old adventurer's gear and comprehend languages on the books. Past that, unless Burns hops in, Joe can be guided as long as it is reasonable!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 am

I may have gotten a bit turned around, but is there anything (we know of) further down here to explore? Or have we checked all know passages, etc. for lingering undead?

If we have finished that, we should return to the pile of spare gear that Maq wanted to look though, and Joe can assist with Detect Magic and/or Tenser's disk to bring stuff up.

Did Burns communicate to you the spells that Joe would be learning at 4th level?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 am

At this point there is only the direction the centipedes went that is unexplored, as far as you know. There haven't been any signs of undead anywhere you've checked.

Burns has not selected spells but I will check to see if he has anything.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Woooooo I am done with my exams!

hp [1d6] = 4 +2 = 8 hps

As for feat and spells I am not sure.

Feats I am looking at are bountiful luck, keen mind and spell sniper.

As for spells.... I get 1 cantrip and 2 spells. I'm thinking for cantrip would be mage hand, mold earth or message.

The 2nd lv spells .... Misty step, identify, unseen servant, dragon's breath (who doesn't want a familiar that can breath fire?) any suggestions?