The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14463

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am

"That sounds reasonable. Should it be necessary to spread misinformation about our presence, I can handle that."

Kytiel passes his hand in front of his face multiple times as he speaks, alternately becoming a grizzled farmhand, a young swooning maiden, a dour spinster and young dandy.

"Did you hear about Old Barnabus' nephew? Heard he came into town with some nice noble lad. They certainly better not be up to any trouble. Definitely better not be robbing the Carmichaels!"

A final pass and he's back to himself.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5350

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:22 am

"So where're these places at? The safehouse and the uhhh, Office place? I can't read no street signs, an' I don't wanna be asking around, getting people wise to us."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:25 am

Jax grins at the shapeshifting human.

"Cute."

((Does Kytiel also have the actor feat?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14463

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:44 am

((I put my ASI into stats rather than feat... so it's probably about as good as you or I could do at putting on different voices.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:58 am

((Cool, I thought so, but wanted to double check))

Jax is going to start paying attention to his companions' traits. What are their vocal habits, do they have any physical habits or tics that he notices, that kind of thing. He's also going to start with Kytiel, watching how he carries himself and paying close attention to his voice especially.

I'm using the actor feat for all this, which doesn't give me any sort of direct advantage on seeing through other people's disguises, but that's a part of what he's going to be trying to learn, specifically focused on Kytiel (for now anyway).
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11659

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 am

"Fancy tricks." Uragh remarks at seeing the displays of shape "shifting"... Never been one for fancy magics. He nods to Jax, and hands over the contract, allowing him to sign it. Nodding to the idea of starting things off with an "act" of entering the city.

"Right... Sneak out the city first, then enter again. I'll show up with Kytiel in some way, under the pretense he's hired me to take care of security while you're here. I think it's a bit melodramatic, but sure. Let's leave nothing to chance. The difficult part will be getting out, then back in, with a cart... Planning to steal one..?" he asks- It seems doubtful they'd have the cash to buy one... That'd be the tricky part about this whole "fake entry" thing. And with the display of magic... Uragh figures one more thing.

"So, with all these fancy tricks... I'd like to remind you all more standard ones tend to hold just as many advantages. Code words. Phrases we can exchange to confirm to each other that we're not some fake, or rather in the case of some of you, let know that it's you in disguise. We'll give a codeword to Jerry for next time we'd manage to meet, too. Then codewords for if we're being trailed, in danger... Stuff like that."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 am

Jax nods and rolls the contract up and tucks it away inside his shirt. "Magic tricks are risky if you put them up in front of someone who can dispel 'em. There's a lot to be said for doing things the old fashioned way. But you're right that sneaking out of town to come back in might be too much work... Jerry, is there a roadhouse somewhere on the outskirts of town where a coach might drop off people coming to the city? That might be a better option for us, and avoids the need for a coach at all. We'd need a reason why we didn't just take the coach all the way into the city, but I'm sure we can think up something."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7231
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Everyone

"Good. I suppose I ought not over do it on the 'grieving'. What did Jakson himself look like then?"

"Uhh, lemme think....red hair, thinning at the top. Kinda chunky, just not as much as some of them noble folk....he always looked like he ate well, but only when he could afford it. Never one for physical labour, seemed to spend most of his time behind a desk. Sorry if that ain't enough, but he wasn't exactly remarkable. Just get the hair colour right and most won't think twice about it."

"So where're these places at? The safehouse and the uhhh, Office place? I can't read no street signs, an' I don't wanna be asking around, getting people wise to us."

"Huh? Oh, sure, lemme just..."

Leaning over, Jerry quickly identifies and points out the two buildings on the map. The safehouse is in the Middle Quarter, not too far from where they were now, actually. While the Office for Public Sanitation seemed to be part of a collection of official bureaucratic buildings just inside the Upper Quarter, near the gateway to the Middle Quarter.

"Magic tricks are risky if you put them up in front of someone who can dispel 'em. There's a lot to be said for doing things the old fashioned way. But you're right that sneaking out of town to come back in might be too much work... Jerry, is there a roadhouse somewhere on the outskirts of town where a coach might drop off people coming to the city? That might be a better option for us, and avoids the need for a coach at all. We'd need a reason why we didn't just take the coach all the way into the city, but I'm sure we can think up something."

"...sure, that'd work. The main gate is usually closed overnight, so travellers who arrive late often stay at the inn outside town. Those'a you who came in by road probably noticed it on your way. Not too unusual for people to get dropped off there and leave their horses. Most ordinary local folk travelling on foot just come in through the slums instead, since there's no checkpoints. But that ain't somethin' a nobleman would ever consider."

As everyone's chatting, Jax takes a closer look at his new acquaintances. He feels he could easily mimic Jerry's animated talking-style, but hasn't really been around the others enough yet to get a good understanding of their habits. A couple of them have barely said more than a sentence or two, after all!

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14463

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Kytiel takes on the appearance of a round faced young man with tousled reddish hair and a scruff of red beard.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:43 pm

((cool, that is something Jax would be paying attention to almost unconsciously, so he's going to be studying his new "friends" at whatever chance he gets. Let me know if you need a roll/rolls for it :) ))

"Perfect. I'll grab a bag of clothes and a few extra bits and pieces and meet you at the inn outside town after dark then", he says to Uragh and Kytiel. "I'll bring the paperwork with me."

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5350

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Veska mostly brushes off any talk of sneaking into the hideout with everyone in their proper roles. "I'll just show up as a servant girl of somethin'."

When Jerry points out where the hideout and the Office of Public Sanitation are on the map, Veska nods along, staring at it, cogs visibly turning in her head.
"Arright, so I'll hit that place first," she announces, tapping a finger on the office. "I'll nab the blueprint thing and see where that gets us."

"...Wha's a blueprint?"

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7231
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 am

Everyone

As Kytiel does his face-changing thing again, Jerry snaps his fingers and nods.

"Aye, that'll do nicely."

"...Wha's a blueprint?"

"It's like a....map? Of the banks plumbing. Might be smart for someone to go with ya, make sure you get the right one."

"But that's up to you lot! Not my business how you do things, long as you get 'em done. Now, unless you've got some more questions, I've got some boots downstairs what need a resole..."

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 am

Jax is going to take his leave of the group and head back to his cheap inn and prepare a bag with his nobleman's disguise, crafted to be fashionable, but obviously slightly outdated to show his lower status in the noble hierarchy. He'll sign the bodyguard contract with his nice inks, and then head out for the afternoon.

While he waits for nightfall, he'll head to the middle quarter and spend some time watching the guards and trying to learn what he can about their equipment, uniforms and seeing if he can eavesdrop on any interesting tidbits of information relating to their protocols or what have you. He'll leave the city before the gates close, walk to the inn, and find a quiet place nearby to don his nobleman disguise.

((Let me know what rolls you'd like for all this, or if you want to break the actions down into smaller chunks))

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6606

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 am

What Jax likely deduces from studying Vatro is that he's a severe drunk that has somehow not fallen or knocked something over yet. But he speaks with a drunken slur which I'm getting tired of trying to replicate so imagine it's there most of the time :P

"Seems we are ready then? I'll case out the area of the bank and sanitorium. See if there are any other blueprints worth getting at when we anyways are in there."

Once out he'll go towards the bank, slowly sobering up as he gets into the fancier districts.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11659

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 am

"I'll await you outside the gate this night. Makes sense I got asked to pick you up there, right?" Uragh nods, ready to head out himself...

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 am

"Best you meet us at the inn. Get there before sunset and Kytiel and I will join you shortly afterwards. Separately, of course. We will return to the city tomorrow.

As your new employer, my name will be Darius diMarco."

Edit: afternoon activity rolls

Deception to blend in as a common merchant:
Deception: 1D20+11 = [1]+11 = 12

Perception: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5350

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am

"Guess I'll see about gettin' one o' them Detect Magic scrolls. Ya never know when you'll trip an Alarm spell, breakin' in somewheres."

Veska will then go search for one such shop, though it's not easy given the sunlight.
Investigation to find Spell Scroll shop: 1D20-1 = [9]-1 = 8

Even worse, all the searching in the sun has left her irritable and not in the best mood for haggling (assuming she even finds a shop). "Why the Hell do these cost so damn much?!" is probably not the best opening argument.
Persuasion for Spell Scroll haggling: 1D20-1 = [7]-1 = 6

After that, Veska finds a dark place to remove her disguise, relax and get her head on straight, and wait for the sun to go down. She needs to be on her A-game for breaking into this Office place, after all.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7231
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Jax

Jax is first to leave the cobbler's, making his way back to his grubby inn over the river. The Goblin's Tooth is exactly like it's namesake - dirty, unpleasant, and riddled with decay. But it's also cheap, and the landlord isn't one to ask many questions. After collecting your fancy noble clothing, you backtrack to the richer side of the city and begin searching for Guardsmen to eavesdrop on.

Unfortunately, while you do find a few clumps of guards milling around or on patrol, you have trouble blending into the crowds. More than once they spot you hanging around suspiciously, and ask you to move along. Luckily, you do still pick up a couple of tasty tidbits of information...
- There are rumours that Officer Roberts might looking to retire soon. Although, this info seems pretty sketchy at best. As one of the other guards puts it: "Roberts has been thinking about retirement for decades now! I swear, only thing putting him out of the game will be an early grave. Man loves his city too much."
- Crime in the slums appears to have been rising recently. A couple of the guards seem to think it has something with a man called "Carrow", though you don't get any clues as to who that is.
You also get a good look at the Guardsmen's equipment and uniforms, just by watching them from a distance. Most of the lower-ranked members are dressed in studded leathers, a shield strapped across their back and longsword at their hip. You also spot the occasional longbow-wielding archer, though they're usually stationed on top of the city walls or a tower, far from any action. Captain's are rare, overseeing the gate or bridge checkpoints for the most part. Unlike the regular guards they wear what looks like chain shirts or chain mail under their uniform, which also has a few more insignia or crests.

Veska

Veska, still in her halfling disguise, makes through the Market Quarter searching for somewhere that sells magic scrolls. However her inexperience with navigating the surface world makes such a task....difficult. Doesn't help that she can't really read the signs (and has a maximum of 4 hours of Disguise Self available, depending on how many spell slots you want to use up for this).
► Show Spoiler
Vatro

Stumbling out of the shop, you make your way towards the Upper Quarter. The guards at the Upper gate raise their eyebrows at the smell of alcohol on your clothes and breath. But they evidently decide a tipsy wood elf is no real threat to anyone, letting you pass without trouble.

The bureaucratic offices are pretty ordinary looking, for the most part. A collection of simple stone, brick, and wood buildings, with neat, tidy bushes and flowerbeds lining the walls. A sign next to each doorway denotes the offices inside, and it isn't hard to find the one relating to public sanitation.

Arandale Bank, however, is a much more extravagant place. The smooth, white marble building stands a full story taller than most of the nearby shops and homes. Pillars and guards flank the large wooden doors at the entrance, and from what you can see the inside is just as opulent.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5350

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Veska ducks around a corner as she feels her disguise wearing off. She mutters another incantation to refresh it, this time opting for a slimmer, red-haired halfling girl. She tries her best to compose herself, before stepping back out into the blazing sun, trying to find some sort of scroll shop.

Investigation to find Spell Scroll shop 2: 1D20-1 = [15]-1 = 14

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14463

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Kytiel makes his way out of town to the meeting with Jax at the proscribed time.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6606

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:49 am

Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7231
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 am

Veska

After refreshing your disguise, you start searching again, this time with a cooler head. And it seems you're in luck! The store you stumble across is small, shoved into the corner of a narrow side street. It's no wonder you missed it on your first pass. Bookshelves line the walls, but what catches your eye is the scrolls in the window.

The shopkeeper - an middle-aged woman with fierce eyes - does find "a couple of them good scrolls in tha' back". Including one for Detect Magic! Unfortunately, she seems pretty reluctant to part with any of them, and you don't do a very good job convincing her. In fact, you're pretty sure that the price is going up the more you haggle...

Detect Magic scroll: 65gp

Vatro

Sneaking around the office buildings is a cinch, as whatever security they have seems lax at best. A pair of guards patrol the area, but their route is obvious and easy to avoid. You note a couple of potential entry points that might work - first being a cellar grate with a rusty lock, and the second a high second-story window with some convenient vines leading up to it.

The Bank isn't quite so straightforward. The place is locked down so hard it might as well be a fort, with guards on every entrance. The ground floor windows are all at least 2-3m off the ground, and barred for good measure. That said, you do spot....something that might be useful. Around the back where the street is narrowest, there's what looks like an office of some kind on the upper floor. An office with unbarred windows. And while the stone walls of the bank are probably too smooth to climb, the low rooftop of the building opposite is almost exactly the right height to jump across...

Unfortunately, while you're staring off into the sky, you completely forget about looking innocent. A rough voice shakes you back into the real world, as a pair of lower-ranking guardsmen approach you from behind.

"Oi! No loitering! What you up to, ey?"

Jax, Uragh, and Kytiel

After finishing your business for the day, the three of you make your own, separate ways out of the city. Following the well-trodden path out of the main gate, you eventually find yourselves arriving at a small collection of buildings. It doesn't seem to consist of much more than an inn, stables, trading post, and a few small houses. The city is visible on the horizon behind you, twilight illuminating the distant walls.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5350

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 am

Veska gives the stink eye to the shopkeeper, but fishes out the pile of gold pieces needed to pay for this scroll. It was a damned expensive for some simple preparation, but knowing the rich side of town it would probably be worth it. Veska reminded herself to take everything in the Office that wasn't nailed down to make up for the expenditure.

Speaking of, Veska remembers to get a few burlap sacks before finding somewhere dark to rest until the sun goes down.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11659

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am

Uragh gives a brief nod, considering. "Right... So I just escort you back to town now? Or do we want to go in first? Pretend I'm waiting for you chaps to arrive?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 13612
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Jax finds a quiet, private spot to change into his disguise; packs his old clothes inside the bag and hides the bag away in a secluded area outside of town to collect later. He keeps his money pouch, contract and rapier on him, as well as his trinket and signet ring.

Disguising: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9


It's not ideal, but he guesses he looks passable enough to casual onlookers.

He enters the inn and takes in the clientele.

((Who's here and what sorts of people do they seem to be?))

Perception; Insight: 1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15
1D20+9 = [12]+9 = 21

Post Reply