The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 06, 2018 9:56 am

"I suppose I shall sit for a while... I'd not be good at my job if I just left you at the first thing, wouldn't I." he says, scoffing just a bit as he's given a noticeably smaller glass. "Although, if you'd prefer to not have my company, I'll gladly go down... After I've gotten a look at that contract."

There seems to be perhaps the ever so vague hint of an eyeroll at listening, but Uragh does seem to give a brief, respectful nod. "My condolences for your loss."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 am

"Well quite. I suspect we shall be safe enough in this establishment for the evening however if you prefer to spend the evening downstairs with the... ?"

Jax seems to be struggling to find a descriptor that isn't "common folk", "rabble" or "peasantry" and eventually gives up.

"Here is your contract. You will find it all in order."

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 am

Uragh spends a couple moments seemingly looking over the contract, before nodding. "Yeah. Seems ok. Does anyone have a..." he begins, his words seeming to fail him as instead he only mimics writing something down with his hand.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 am

Jax raises an eyebrow.

"A pen? I do... Try not to break it."

He pulls out a pen and small jar of ink; dips the pen and hands the ready-to-use pen to Uragh.

"A cross will suffice if necessary."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun May 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Jax, Kytiel, and Uragh

While "Barnabus" and "Darius" catch up, Uragh is relegated to the stool nearby. He's pretty sure it's actually a step for fetching books off the high shelves, but it's not too uncomfortable at least.

And after a bit of idle chatter, "Darius" decides to include the stranger in their little discussion.

"Ah, but where are my manners?"

"Would you care to join us in our toast? My friend recently lost his dear uncle and we were going to spend a little time remembering him this evening."

"Oh? No no, I couldn't possible intrude."

((Roll Persuasion))

Vatro and Veska

As sunset approaches, the two of you reconvene at your meeting point - an alleyway in the Middle Quarter, not far from the Upper Walls. Veska is in possession of a collection of cheap burlap sacks, while Vatro is enjoying a half-empty bottle of mead he found at the bottom of his bag.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Uragh meanwhile, is staring over the contract a bit more, for a moment seeming as if he's considering just "accidentally" bending the pen while signing... But eventually, if perhaps a bit brusque, signs with a big "U" on the paper, before handing it back. He passes it back with little regale... Before dropping the pen just an inch over the table, rather than just handing it back.

"So... I suppose you'll want me to head down, then?"

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5586

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun May 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Not quite dark out yet, Veska laments grumpily. Ah well, she and this drunk can hammer out the plan in the meantime.

"Awright, this should be easy," Veska says, hefting her bag filled with other bags. "I'm thinkin' we jus' make it look like a robbery so no one'll think twice about some missing bank plans. Ya find a good way in?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 06, 2018 5:44 pm

"Nonsense! Barny's uncle would never stand for it! I insist."

He pushes the glass towards the man with a charming, disarming smile.

Persuasion: 1D20+11 = [14]+11 = 25


To Uragh (when appropriate): "Yes, I think we shall be fine here for the evening. Perhaps you can watch for trouble downstairs."

(Uragh can probably learn more downstairs than having us all trapped up here with the one other dude.)

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Khyle-tiel is making a bit of a show at being a grieving nephew, but gives the stranger a sad smile of encouragement when "Darius" invites him over. Uragh is getting about as much attention as a friend's hired hand would be getting.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:21 am

Jax, Kytiel, and Uragh

"Nonsense! Barny's uncle would never stand for it! I insist."

"...well, if you insist! Though I'm afraid I won't be much good in remembering the man, seeing how we never met!"

Chuckling at his awkward attempt at humour, the man accepts the offered wine glass and moves to the other armchair at your table.

"Lucas. Lucas Tyrell. Are you native to Farawlen, or tourists like myself?"

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 07, 2018 12:30 am

Uragh nods, and decides to head downstairs... Looking for a table that seems like they might be gambling, while turning to the tavern keeper. "How much for some proper ale?"

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6875

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:52 am

Vatro will offer Veska the rest of his bottle. Amazingly enough, Vatro seems to have sobered up during the day.

"Sounds good, was thinking of grabbing some plans for what is near the bank and perhaps some other places. We can enter through the cellar or the second floor.. or both if we are inclined to make it go as fast as possible. There's a building behind the bank that we could use to enter it so getting those plans as well would be nice. The patrol is easily avoided if you just keep an eye out. Hopefully the guards aren't actively looking after a drunk wood elf."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5586

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am

Veska waves the bottle off as she crosses her arms in a standoffish way. "Yeah? And what do ya think grabbin' more plans'll help? These're jus' supposed to be plumbing plans. Ya think the bank's gonna be pumpin' crap through the buildings next to it? And if we grab more'n just the one blueprint thing, 'specially fer two buildings right next to each other? The guards might figure out what's goin' on." Veska almost moves to scratch her chin, but scratches her neck instead. "...Maybe it'll help. What do I know? But you better make sure it will 'fore ya grab it."

"Anyway, second floor sounds good to me. Ya think it'll be dark if we head there now?"

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6875

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:08 am

"Not so much that we can go through their plumbing to the bank, but rather use that building to jump through the bank window if it is open. Doesn't look like they close it at all since it is so high up. Might be better than the actual plans in case they look through what is missing after we are done, could throw in a couple of red herrings just in case. Might be dark if we go through the market gate."

Vatro will put the mead away and go with Veska to the sanitation office, avoiding the guards that caught him.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5586

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 am

Veska bristles at the mention of 'throwing in a couple of red herrings.' "Oh no. Ya take one 'r two plans, an' that's it. Ya take more'n that then who do ya think the guards'll suspect? Well, who runs the sewers? Ya'know, the ones who'd get the most use out of a bunch o' plumbing plans? Kobolds. And if the guards think kobolds're makin' trouble in the rich district, ya think they'll hesitate to go stompin' down into the sewers to put 'em in their place? If that happens, ya can kiss any chance we have of usin' the sewers goodbye."

Regardless, Veska will following along with Vatro to the office, since he probably knows his way above ground better than she does.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Uragh

Leaving the rich folk to their meat and wine, you head back downstairs to mingle with the other peasants. There's a couple of suspicious glances, but not nearly as many as before. The barkeep pours you a 4cp mug of stout ale as you scan the room - there doesn't seem to be many games going on, but you do spy a trio of humans(?) in traveller cloaks shuffling cards in the corner.

Veska and Vatro

As they discuss the details of their imminent robbery (mainly how much they're actually gonna nick) Veska and Vatro make their way through the Market Quarter and over to the Upper Quarter gate. Unluckily, it seems like the guards are paying a bit more attention than they were earlier in the day - they're actually stopping people and asking where they're going now!

Looks like you're gonna have to blag your way through. Either that or hope for a convenient distraction that lets you slip past....

(Roll Performance/Deception/Persuasion/Intimidation, or make a distraction and roll Stealth)

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 10, 2018 4:06 pm

"Lucas. Lucas Tyrell. Are you native to Farawlen, or tourists like myself?"

"I am just visiting town to help Barny settle his uncle's affairs. What about you? I confess I do not know much about the town, is there much to see as a tourist? I suppose it must have considerable charms to attract a refined gentleman like yourself."

Jax gives the man an appraising, approving look.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Thu May 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Uragh considers for a moment, and eventually puts down another silver piece and two coppers.

"Gimme three more of those." he states- Eventually grabbing two of each in his hands, before approaching the tables with drinks in hand... Starting off with a simple question.

"What you all playing?"

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:25 am

Jax and Kytiel

"I am just visiting town to help Barny settle his uncle's affairs. What about you? I confess I do not know much about the town, is there much to see as a tourist? I suppose it must have considerable charms to attract a refined gentleman like yourself."

"Well...the main draw of Farawlen would probably be the market. Rumour has it you can find almost anything you need here. Pretty much everything passing from the elvish coast to the dwarven hills has to pass through this port at some point, after all. The walls are impressive too, from what I hear. Especially for such a young city."

"Of course, I'm not just here for the architecture! Tell me; have you heard the name Horith Nyntynel?"


Uragh

The men glance up as Uragh approaches. They don't seem outright hostile, but they obviously don't appreciate the interruption either. Now that he's closer, he notices that the shorter man is actually a dwarf with a short, scruffy beard.

"What you all playing?"

"...poker. What's it ta' you?"

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12069

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 11, 2018 1:35 am

"Hoping to play something before I take to the hay. Awfully early to go sleep." he says, briefly hefting the spare glasses he's got in his hands, putting three of them on the table as a bit of a "peace offering"... He doesn't seem like he's gonna give them much of a choice regardless, though, as he simply pulls over a chair and slides it over to the table.

"What kind of coin are you playing for?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 11, 2018 4:25 am

((have we heard the name?))

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 am

((Yes :P ))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14682
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 11, 2018 4:38 am

"Yes, I know the name... He's an arcana, is he not? And quite a political power if I'm not mistaken."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7518
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:09 am

Jax and Kytiel

"Yes, I know the name... He's an arcana, is he not? And quite a political power if I'm not mistaken."

"In a manner of speaking, yes! He's been a resident of Farawlen since it was just a little trading town. As far as we know, of course - records from back then are a little...sparse, to say the least. I was hoping to speak to him at the Ball, hear some first-hand accounts of how region's history. There aren't many left alive who would know what he does, so an opportunity like this was simply to good to pass up!"

You notice that the more Lucas talks, the more animated he becomes. It's hard to tell whether that's due to excitement about the subject, or just a side-effect of the wine.

Uragh

"Hoping to play something before I take to the hay. Awfully early to go sleep. What kind of coin are you playing for?"

Any foul tension quickly evaporates as the ales hit the table - the dwarf in particular is quick to warm up to you.

"...blind is two coppa'. Want me ta' deal ya' in?"
► Show Spoiler
Veska and Vatro

Veska considers whether climbing the wall would be an option, but then quickly remembers why that's a terrible idea. Even if you could scale the 40ft sheer stone walls without falling, the guards stationed along the top would spot them easily. And there were plenty of stories about careless burglars meeting a sticky end after losing their footing or getting shot full of arrows.

Fortunately, she was a sewer Kobold. She could think of countless little tunnels that would get her under those walls. The elf would be a bit harder to get in, due to his size....but actually, now that she thinks about it, wasn't that tunnel pretty close to here? The one with the broken grate?

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5586

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat May 12, 2018 8:38 am

Of course the rich bastards would spare no expense to keep the lesser folk out of their part of the city, Veska thinks, gazing up at the ridiculous 40-foot wall. Ah well, over top isn't the only way around it.

"You want we should go under the wall? I know a ways to get the both of us through, 'less you got a better idea."

Post Reply