The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 am

Veska and Kytiel

Swinging her blade upwards, Veska skewers the squid creature. As it falls limply off her face, she glances around wildly for the next opponent...but sees nothing other than damp rock.

Seems like they either killed them all, or scared the others enough to not get involved.
► Show Spoiler
Jax

Standing outside the Carmichael estate, Jax continues to wonder how he's going to get inside...

Uragh and Vatro

After what feels like a month of discussion, Uragh and Vatro decide that pirates = bad.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 am

With another cautious glance up at the ceiling, Veska plops herself down within the healing aura of her ethereal crocodile. She tries her best to wipe away any remaining stalactite-monster goo from off her face, but she's gonna need to take a dip to get the feeling out from between her scales. Eugh.

As the Healing Spirit fades away and the two cohorts are feeling good as new, it's back to business. "Awright! So wha's he plan? We can go back an' try t' kick that water thing's ass if it's got one? It ain't gettin' the jump on us this time. Or we try an' find a way outta here, get backup, and drag 'em down 'ere to help us."
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 am

Jax is going to casually walk around the grounds/wall looking for alternative gates and/or sewer grates near the manor.

Perception: 1d20+6 = [8] = 14

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:31 am

((I've got an extra 15 temp HP on top of that I think, since none of them actually went after me to trigger the Armor.))

"I'm out of spells, we've tangled with it twice, and I think our record is even right now. If it gets the better of us the third time, I'm not sure we'll be able to get away. That being said, you're a lot more effective while it can't see you... getting sucked up inside was a bad start to that last fight."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:59 am

"Hmm... guess we're grabbin' backup, then. That way if somethin' goes wrong, we ain't just screwed. C'mon, let's get the hell outta here."

With that decided Veska stands up, brushes herself off, and makes her way out of the cavern to the T-junction. The tunnel sloped up to here from the way they first came, fleeing from the water monster, so it makes sense to go down the remaining path, the one she and Kytiel hadn't gone down yet. With any luck it should at least start them towards the surface.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:03 am

Kytiel follows.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:40 am

Veska and Kytiel

After the healing spirit has down its job, Veska and Kytiel prepare to move on and check where the other route forks in two. As she brushes herself off, she happens to notice what looks like small animal bones in a few of the puddles around their feet. About rat-sized.

At the fork, the left tunnel is long and mostly straight, extending beyond the range of Kytiel's Darkvision. But Veska can see it turn to the right about 70ft up. The rightmost tunnel, meanwhile, curves around to the left pretty much immediately. Peering around that corner, they see this tunnel splits again - the main path continuing straight ahead before curving left, while an offshoot seems to go right about 20ft up.

Jax

Thanks to his disguise, Jax doesn't seem to attract any attention as he wanders along the estate boundary.

The walls seem to stretch almost entirely around the estate, only stopping when they meet up with the eastern outer walls of the Upper district. While the walls themselves don't appear to be guarded directly, there does seem to be the occasional patrol, as well as Guardsmen stationed on a few of the busier street corners.

You do find one other entrance, however - what looks like a service gate, guarded by a single, rather bored looking female human.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:44 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Scanning the floor, Veska confirms that they're definitely rat bones. And she sees signs that the rats were once alive too - droppings, scratchings, the occasional bite mark. But when it comes to where they came from, the only visible entrance is the way they came in.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Not having much else to go on, Veska takes a left at the fork, that being the only path that doesn't seem to decline.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Kytiel follows his sewer guide.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 am

Veska and Kytiel

Continuing up to the left, Veska and Kytiel find it eventually curves to the right, before splitting again. The left option seems to continue gently uphill while curving right, as the other tunnel forks in two again pretty soon.

((Roll Perception.))
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 13878

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 am

(( This is a cease and desist. Please stop using the trademarked ShittyMap without valid licensing. We'd prefer to settle this out of court.

:roll: ))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am

1d20+1 = [7] = 8

((That's a top quality ShittyMap™ !))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:38 am

Perception after leaving stalactite cave: 1d20+6 = [6] = 12

Unless her senses tell her not to, Veska will continue down the left path, uphill!

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:13 am

Veska and Kytiel

While Kytiel is just bored of all the identical tunnels, Veska's keen senses notice what sounds like movement? Or some kind of scratching. It seems to be coming from the rightmost fork of the right tunnel.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:20 am

Veska pats Kytiel's arm to stop him. "Somethin' scratchin' around on the right. Keep an eye out behind ya."

With that said, she continues up the left path.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:36 am

Jax adjusts his clothing, and puts on his very most charming self as he walks up to the guard at the gate.

"Fine evening we're having isn't it? You must be keen to get your shift finished and get out of here!"

He watches her reaction for an idea of how to continue:
Insight: 1d20+9 = [6] = 15

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 am

Kytiel nods and drops a glowing bearing behind him so that anything following would have to pass through the light.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:50 am

Veska and Kytiel

The pair continue on, Kytiel dropping a light in case of any followers. But it doesn't seem to be necessary, the scratching sound fading into the distance behind them.

Pretty soon they come across yet another fork in the path. But this one is a little different - while the main tunnel continues to go straight and curve down to the right after a few feet, the side tunnel to their left goes up only 10ft or so before stopping abruptly. Looks like a cave-in is blocking the path.

Jax

"Fine evening we're having isn't it? You must be keen to get your shift finished and get out of here!"

The guard straightens herself abruptly as Jax speaks, not having noticed him approach. She's clearly flustered by his comments, but is trying her best to look alert and professional

"Um, yessir. I mean, no sir. I mean...do you need anything, sir?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:27 am

"Should we at least have a closer look at the cave in?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am

Damn. With the way up seemingly blocked off, now what is Veska going to do?

She glances invisibly to Kytiel. "Agh... might as well. Who knows, maybe it's another dumb illusion?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am

"Perhaps. If it's not too big, and has a gap, I might be able to work with that."

Investigation:
(with advantage?)

"Nevermind, looks like nothing, let's keep going."
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:48 am

((You already rolled in OOC))
spiderwrangler wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:30 am
Investigation: 2d20k1+3 = [13, 2] = 16

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am

((Doh. That's why it felt familiar.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel examines the cave-in more closely. It's definitely not an illusion - he can feel the dirt and stone under his fingertips. But it's also not as tightly packed as he might have expected, rocks tumbling and scattering down to his feet as he leans forward. With a bit of time and effort, it should be possible to clear them away; at least a little bit.

And while there's no obvious and east way past, he does spot some gaps in the loose stones near the top. Through which the faint dripping of water can be heard, coming from some empty space beyond the rocks.

Post Reply