The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 17223
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am

((Ok, I need a quick reminder of what Jax :) Based on what he knows so far about the various people in the Carmichael family and wealthy folks in general, what would Jax think is his best disguise option for approaching the place? Or would he need to go and scope it out a bit first? He met that coachman a few days ago... That might be a way in I guess? Need a roll for him?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:05 am

Yup, scooting right along. Once they are far enough to not hear it, Kytiel will pause to rub where he got smashed.

"Barely hurts.", he says somewhat sarcastically.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:20 am

"Heh, I bet. I can fix us up, but it takes a bit."

"Can't believe that stupid thing got us back," Veska says with a frustrated sigh. "Gonna start carryin' my own water after this...."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Veska and Kytiel

The pair continue up the slope, wanting to put as much distance between themselves and the water monster as possible. The tunnel levels out soon after, and a few dozen feet later they find themselves at a T-junction. The left tunnel seems to curve and open out into a larger cavern, while the right path appears to split again pretty quickly.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Veska considers the junction for a second, before going left.

"Drop a light here?" Veska points to the entrance of the left tunnel. "If it figures out it got tricked, it prolly ain't gonna follow the light twice."

After that she'll turn the corner and enter the cavern, taking a cursory look around to see if there's anything to be worried about in here.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Kytiel complies by lighting up another bearing and dropping it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:21 pm

Veska and Kytiel

As Kytiel drops another light behind them, Veska moves up to check out the next cavern. On first glance it looks clear. The rough, rocky walls form a jagged bowl above her, stalactites hanging down like teeth. Small puddles pool in crevices on the stone floor, occasionally fed by water dripping from above. But although safe, it also looks to be a dead end.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Veska gives a leery glance towards the puddles of water. They're too small to be hiding anything, right?

"...Awright, good enough. Get close, will ya?"

With that, she makes a few hand gestures and incants a spell, summoning the same ethereal crocodile she summoned yesterday. Veska sits down in a corner of the chamber (away from the entrance and puddles) as the Healing Spirit works its magic, slowly healing her bruises over the next minute.

Reminder for Healing Spirit:
► Show Spoiler
Healing Spirit while hiding from Water Elemental: 10d6 = [6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2] = 37

If given enough time, Veska's injuries will heal completely!

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:24 am

Kytiel gets close and pets her crocodile as needed to get feeling better.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Crossing to the far corner, Veska hunkers down and summons her healing croco-spirit. Kytiel joins her, and together the pair begin to rest up, keeping a close eye on the entrance.

A dozen seconds pass.

Then a dozen more.

You both feel your wounds begin to close, the bruises fading to nothing. And with no sounds of crashing water pursuing you up the tunnel.

But then, Veska hears a different noise. An almost imperceptibly quiet *squelch*. Coming from above. And glancing up, she barely has time to duck out of the way as two of previously stationary stalactites dislodge, descending in a flurry of leathery wings. Kytiel....isn't quite so lucky.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
((Roll Initiative))
► Show Spoiler
Jax

Meanwhile, back on the surface, Jax plays dress up. He manages to find some dusty clothes in an old cupboard, and after a bit of cleaning and sewing, ends up with a pretty convincing servant outfit. Once suitably dressed, he leaves the other two to continue discussing explosives and begins making his way up to Carmichael Manor.

By the time he gets there it's nearing late afternoon. It's his first time seeing the 10ft high stone walls, iron spikes jutting from the top, having only Kytiel's description to go on before. They strike a strange balance between elegant craftsmanship and brutal effectiveness. Anyone climbing over would be liable to spear themselves in the leg. Which is probably why most people used the gate - a beautifully carved elven design, flanked by two heavily armed guards.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:24 pm

"FORK!"

Initiative: 1d20+1 = [15] = 16
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Initiative vs Flapping Stalactites: 1d20+7 = [18] = 25

Veska won't be taken by surprise this time! She draws her shortswords!

((It's still dark in here, right?))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:36 pm

((Kytiel dropped a light ball near the entrance to the cavern, but Veska had moved into it, so might be beyond its range?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Veska does an awesome combat roll, dodging the leathery bat-thing as it descends on her. While Kytiel's curses are cut short, a set of toothy tentacles wrapping over his face and squeezing for 7 bludgeoning damage!

Veska (25), 44/44hp
Stalactite 1 (20)
Kytiel (16), 26/38hp, Blinded, Unable to Breathe
Stalactite 2 (12), Engulfing Kytiel's head
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:02 pm

Damn it all! First the water jumps them, then the ceiling. What's next, are the walls gonna attack, or the air?!

Veska maintains her concentration on her Healing Spirit while she focuses on shredding this thing off of Kytiel's head!

Rolls

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Leaping to her companion's aid, Veska slashes the creature off his head with ease. But as the shredded remains flutter to the ground and Kytiel takes a gasping breath, the other creature flaps over and....hums at them? The humming increases in pitch, until a bubble of complete darkness suddenly envelopes it, spreading out to cover both Veska and Kytiel as well.

And just before it removes their vision completely, they see a third stalactite detach from the ceiling, diving towards Veska...
Though she can't see through this intense darkness, she still feels the creature wrap itself over her head and latch on tight (8 bludgeoning damage).

Veska (25), 36/44hp, Blinded, Unable to Breath
Stalactite 1 (20)
Stalactite 3 (19), engulfing Veska?
Kytiel (16), 26/38hp, Blinded
Stalactite 2 (12), Shredded

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Kytiel will press his sword against his chest and chant aloud. [dropshadow]"Armis autem Agathys!"[/dropshadow]

If he wasn't in a bubble of darkness, it could be seen that he is covered in an armor of spectral frost. He will move towards where he saw Veska last, calling for her, but trying to make sure can hold his breath in case he gets grabbed again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel casts some defensive magic while stumbling towards Veska, bumping into the Kobold as she struggles with the creature on her face. He also feels his wounds heal slightly, the croco-spirit still doing its job (heal 1d6hp).

Veska (25), 36/44hp, Blinded, Unable to Breath
Stalactite 1 (20)
Stalactite 3 (19), engulfing Veska?
Kytiel (16), 26/38hp, Blinded

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:20 pm

"Hrm! HRMM!" Veska's muffled cries emanate from somewhere in the darkness, next to Kytiel. With the slight distraction Kytiel offers, she takes her shortswords and starts stabbing upward into the stalactite thing attached to her head!

Rolls
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7440

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:13 pm

"You could lead me to where you'll by the powder and I could swoop in and steal the product before the trade goes through perhaps?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 13878

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:16 pm

"Bad idea. It's aboard a ship, and they're pirates, or smugglers at the least. Got connections to the underworld too... And smart enough to not let me see their hold. I had hoped to be able to switch barrels so they would not be aware..."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Despite being unable to see anything, Veska still manages to angle her swords upwards and stab at the creatures face. At least, where she thinks it's face is. And it seems to work, as the tendrils fall slack!

To hit vs Veska:
1d20+5 = [20] = 25
1d20+5 = [14] = 19


Only to be immediately replaced as another one latches onto her face. Veska takes 8 bludgeoning damage.

Veska (25), 28/44hp, Blinded, Unable to Breath
Stalactite 1 (20), engulfing Veska?
Stalactite 3 (19), Dead
Kytiel (16), 26/38hp, Blinded

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 20326

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm

Kytiel swings in the direction of Veska, making sure to swing high enough not to clip his kobold companion.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7987
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel swings above Veska, hoping to hit the creature instead of her. He feels his blade connect once, then twice....and with a sickening squeal the humming stops, the unnatural darkness fading. The stalactite is still wrapped around Veska's head, but it also looks like it's barely holding on after those hits.

Veska (25), 28/44hp, Blinded, Unable to Breath
Stalactite 1 (20), engulfing Veska, badly injured
Stalactite 3 (19), Dead
Kytiel (16), 26/38hp, Blinded

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 6095

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:43 pm

Veska sends another volley of frustrated stabs upward as her head gets wrapped up again.

If that's enough to free her, she'll quickly step over through her ethereal crocodile, its natural energy coursing over her and undoing some of the damage done.

((I believe this is the 7th round since Veska cast Healing Spirit, so she'll heal 4 this round? Or do you want me to roll again?))

Rolls

Post Reply