The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:09 pm

"It's possible a stronger spell might be able to pierce it, but I'm only able to make things as bright as you've seen."

Kytiel is in agreement of a retreat for now. Wandering around in the dark with something that might not rely on vision is a good way to get dead fast.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Veska will close the door as she leaves. The lock vanished, but this way nothing inside will notice anything's amiss.

Then she leads the way in trying to deduce a possible exit.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:17 pm

"Yeah, with the lock gone, they're probably going to know someone was here, but we might as well shut the door."

Kytiel tries one more thing first, casting light on his dagger, he pushes it through the plane of darkness before pulling it back.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 pm

Veska and Kytiel

As Veska goes to close the door, Kytiel stops her. Casting Light on his dagger, he pushes it into the darkness, the light disappearing as he does. But when he removes the dagger, it's still glowing as brightly as before.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:27 pm

"Hmmm... that's unusual. I would expect magical darkness to snuff the light."

Kytiel sticks a finger one knuckle deep in the darkness. If there is no change and he's able to pull it out, he holds his breath and pushes his face through, bringing the dagger with him.

((Just trying to see if the 'darkness' is a one way thing and the other side is perfectly normal. If he opens his eyes in darkness beyond, he's ready to leave.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 pm

Kytiel

As your head pokes through the darkness, you feel...nothing. It's like there's nothing there. And the dim light of the fog-filled corridor is replaced by the warm, flicking glow of firelight.

What lies beyond is a fairly spacious, fog-free chamber, 80ft long and 50ft wide. Four large braziers burn in the corners, bathing the room in a warm glow. Up against the far right wall is a 20ftx30ft pool, fed by a small waterfall coming from a grate above. Mirroring it on the left is an equally wide pit. You can't see the bottom of it from this angle, but there is a faint sense of heat coming from it...

Directly opposite, an open doorway leads out of the chamber, down a wide corridor lit by torches at regular intervals. Wooden benches flank that exit, with a collection of strange instruments and bladed implements spread out on them. Shelves sit in alcoves above them, holding a collection of vials, jars, and strange minerals. But the thing which most draws your eye is the long stone plinth in the centre of the chamber, raised to about waist height. Upon which is the stretched out a gigantic centipede-like creature!

But before you can panic, you quickly realise that the monster is either dead or seriously injured. The carapace is bloodied and cracked, with limbs broken and bent at odd angles.

Other than that, the room appears empty.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Kytiel reaches across his chest, grabs the back of his opposite shoulder that is still outside the darkness, and 'yanks' himself inside, giving it a few seconds before he ducks back out, grinning at Veska.

"Inside's well lit, we might as well see this through!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:51 pm

Veska

You see Kytiel get "pulled" into the darkness, then his head pop back out, grinning wildly.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Veska freezes in the doorway. Then, with a sudden weight lifted off her mind, she hops and throws a victory fistpump! She knew some dumb magic darkness wasn't going to beat her!

She all-but darts into the room, though immediately halts at the sight of thankfully-dead Crawler. Right, it could still be dangerous in here.

She looks behind her then. Can she see past the dark curtain from the other side?

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Stepping through to the other side, Veska takes in the sights. Glancing behind her, she sees that the strange black "wall" is there on this side of the doorway too.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:03 pm

((How high is the ceiling?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:17 pm

"Thinkin' we should keep the door open, 'case we gotta skip out quick. Door could lock itself when ya close it, for all we know."

Veska then unties the rope connecting her to Kytiel, since they don't appear to need it anymore. With her regained freedom of movement, she'll move over to the warm pit at the side of the room and look in, just so she knows what's down there.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Veska reckons the pit on the left goes down about 10ft deep before hitting another pool. But while the other looks clear and fresh, this one seems...less so. The liquid has a faint greenish tint to it, and a sharp, acrid scent floats up on warm air. Occasionally a bubble will float to the surface, releasing a burst of noxious gas.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Wrinkling her snout, Veska turns away from the pit and considers the room at large. She can't even begin to discern its purpose without more info. All she knows is that someone or something drags dead Crawlers here.

Speaking of, she skulks over to the open door, peeking outside to make sure said someone/thing isn't about to return.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Kytiel nods and moves quietly over to inspect the various implements that have been laid out.

Stealth: 1d20+4 = [8] = 12
Investigation:1d20+3 = [3] = 6
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel moves over to the benches, examining the items left on them. Everything is arranged in a neat and ordered fashion; there are various blades lined up by size, some tongs, scrapers, saws, bowls, and even a few spoons. But the rest of the equipment is far beyond his understanding, the vials and beakers on the shelves completely unfamiliar to him.

Meanwhile Veska checks out the other tunnel, and sees that it continues on for about 30-40ft before her vision is blocked by another of those fuzzy black walls.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Veska works her way back to Kytiel. "Another black door out that way," she says, motioning with her head.

"So whattaya figure we do? I'm thinkin' we douse these lights, first of all. Then we keep goin', see what we find. We run back here fer an ambush if we get caught. 'Less you got some other plan?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:20 pm

"Looks like whoever this belongs to might be studying these things... they may not strictly be a foe... but at this point we've broken and entered their workshop. Might be able to talk things through, but dousing the lights and retreating back here if necessary sounds fine to me."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Veska gives a huff. "Yeah, I'm sure they're swell, floodin' the sewers full o' monsters."

Veska looks about for a bucket, or even just a bowl, and goes around putting out the braziers and torches with water from the waterfall. Once she's done, she'll wait for Kytiel by the next wall of darkness.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Kytiel shrugs, "People do weird shit for weird reasons. Just saying that their goals here may not conflict with ours, and should it come to it, a conversation may be more productive than their death. But if it is to be the latter, then so be it. I may have the means to... encourage them... to do something for us... even if that is just to leave us alone."

He'll assist Veska in dousing the lights, walking up the walls to take care of any that are out of reach for the kobold.

Kytiel will change his appearance to have the facial features of one of the Carmichael guards from the previous night, and for his clothes, skin, shield and summoned longsword to have the same coloration as the stone before they go in.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Veska takes a deep breath to clear her head. "Right... right. We're here to figure out what the Hell they're doin' down here, and if they've got anythin' to do with the bank. Like if they been hired to put monsters in the vault or somethin'."

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:21 am

Veska and Kytiel

Unable to find a bucket anywhere, Veska grabs a bowl from the table and heads over to the pool of water. But as she leans over to fill it, the water ripples....then surges up and lunges at her!

Roll Initiative.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 am

Initiative for Water creature fight rematch: 1d20+4 = [1] = 5

Ah. So this is where that water thing ran off to. Veska really wasn't expecting this.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:05 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:14 am

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel sees the attack coming, but can do nothing to stop it as the water creature surges out of the pool and over the unsuspecting Veska. She feels the familiar sensation of water dragging at her limbs, trying to pull her in...

((Veska: make a Strength save.))

Kytiel (21)
Water Elemental (13)
Veska (5), Surprised
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply