The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:39 pm

((That's what I was asking... if there's a hole, or ledge that whatever we're following might have reached up and pulled itself into.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:42 pm

((Okay, Kytiel can make an Investigation check too if he's searching.))

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:49 pm


User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Investigation: 1d20+3 = [13] = 16

((Sorry, it was a quick post from my phone before, I could have been more specific what it was I was looking for above the tracks!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 am

Veska and Kytiel

While Kytiel walks along the ceiling, checking for hidden holes or trapdoors, Veska examines the walls more closely. At first inspection they seem as solid as the walls around them, but...there's a patch that's definitely smoother. In fact, it feels much smoother than it looks. A few experimental knocks and taps confirm her suspicions - despite appearances, this is metal, not rock.

A metal door, to be precise.

As the rocky illusion fades, she can now see the obvious outline of a 10ft wide doorway. The tracks on the ground curve straight through, disappearing over the threshold. And, predictably, it's locked.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:00 am

Veska and Kytiel

Veska takes a closer look at the door, not seeing any obvious traps.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:07 am

Veska grins to herself. Nothing's going to keep her off this crawler's trail, magic be damned!

Of course there are certain non-magical hazards that could be a problem, she considers, hesitating to fiddle with the metal door just yet. She takes out her new, hooded lantern and lights it, keeping the hood down just so the immediate area is lit up. She looks over the door, but, while her eyes are sharp, she doesn't really know what minute details to look for regarding traps.

"...Well I can't find anythin'," she admits, keeping her voice low, because who knows what's beyond the door? "Take a look, will ya? I don't wanna touch this thing 'fore I know if it's gonna blow up or somethin'."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:17 pm

((Has the illusion faded for Kytiel too, or just Veska since she's the one to interact with it and he's cluelessly wandering about the ceiling? He already can't see her well, if she's disappeared into an illusory wall...))

Assuming he knows what's going on, he wanders over through the illusion and has a look.

1d20 = 15 1d6+1+0 = 7

"Looks good to me, do you want the honors, or shall I? Tell you what, let's flip for it. Call it in the air.", Kytiel says, pulling out a gold piece and showing that it is a legitimate coin with two faces.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7136

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Vatro will just grunt in annoyance at Jax's insistence of becominh someone else, clearly not interested in how that could be useful
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 12535

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:45 pm

"Look, do y'all think we should acquire more of this stuff, or not..? Because if we want to get more, we'll have to do it tonight."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 15553
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:50 pm

((based on what Jax knows about black powder, how much do we have here in terms of explosive capability?))

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:57 pm

"What? No, I gotta unlock the thing, first. I just wanna know if there's some kinda... I dunno, tripwire or something I'm missin', 'fore I mess wit' anythin'."

(I have no idea what your roll is for. Your Investigation is +3 isn't it, if you're searching for traps? And what's with the 1d6 roll?)

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7136

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:00 pm

((I think he's doing a DB 1 attack :lol: ))
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

((Yeah... I dunno. Was posting from my phone, and it must have auto filled. I only saw the 7, so was saying that it looked untrapped and we could roll for who picks it. If I can use that 15+3 in my investigation check to check for traps though... That'd be preferable.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:14 am

((I'll use the d20 roll instead of the d6, don't worry :P ))

Veska and Kytiel

With Veska's help, Kytiel manages to see through the illusion as well. And his search for traps or suspicious wires doesn't turn up anything either.

However, what he does notice is that the lock isn't exactly...normal? For one thing, there's no obvious keyhole. Instead, a roughly plate-sized metal disk is attached to the boundary between the two sides of the door, faint runes etched into its surface. Attempting to push on the door does nothing, the strange seal holding strong.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 7136

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:39 am

Vatro will ask for a quick look at the black powder and rub some between his fingers and do a tiny taste and smell test on it.

"Maybe? Can I see it? I think it's simple enough to make if you can find the ingredients so the deadline might not be that tight. How do you want to use it? We might need some wax if you want it to blow up a lock or something like that to keep it from spilling out. "

Vatro will list the ingredients for them in case they want to follow up on this
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 am

Kytiel slips out his thieves tools and pauses.

"Interesting... You ever deal with something like this? Got a ideas how I should proceed?"

1d20+3 = [11] = 14

If Veska can help? 1d20+3 = [15] = 18
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:30 am

Veska's eyes glaze over a bit as she tries to comprehend just how this plate-lock thing is supposed to function. She shrugs and steps back as Kytiel offers to take over. She holds the lantern nearby so he can see what he's doing.

"Hmm... well it's still a lock, right? So ya just gotta work the pins one at a time, 'til ya got 'em all," she offers, not entirely sure the advice applies here. She hopes it helps, though?

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 am

Veska and Kytiel

With some assistance from Veska, Kytiel begins trying to figure out the strange lock. It's definitely magical, whatever it is. There are no obvious ways to remove it, and it doesn't seem to be attached by any form of adhesive or pins. It's just kind of....there.

For a brief moment, Kytiel worries that the only option is to brute force it. That would surely work well, with just a scrawny Kobold to assist! But then he has another thought - maybe disrupting the runes would have an effect?

What follows is about ten minutes of prying, chiselling, and careful tugging. Any progress seems miniscule at best. But then, with a vibrating thwump, the lock pops off! It hangs in the air for a moment, then glows brightly for one brief second....and flashes out of existence.
Tentatively, Kytiel reaches out gives a little push, the door swinging inwards easily at his touch...to reveal a wall of complete darkness. Even when Veska holds the lamp up to it, no light seems able to cross the threshold.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 am

Kytiel will roll a ball bearing with light cast on it through the doorway.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:54 am

Just how deep does this rabbit hole go? This started out as just Veska wanting to get to the bottom of that Crawler business, but what the Hell is even happening anymore? How many layers of magical defenses is she going to have to peel away before she finds anything?

Veska puts out her lantern, since it's obviously not doing anything. Since this is magic darkness, she waits to see if Kytiels magic light does anything to help.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7727
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:58 am

Veska and Kytiel

The bearing rolls through the doorway, disappearing into the darkness.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 16203

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:05 am

"Well... anything that lives there probably has a way to get around even in the dark. I don't. It might be time to turn back unless you have any bright ideas? I don't relish the idea of wandering in the dark waiting to be pounced on."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 am

Veska rubs her scaly chin as she considers the wall of magical darkness. It's similar to the fog, but not even light-emitting ball bearings will help them here. Or... will they?

"Say. What if you... put more oomph into yer Light spell? Like, ya really crank the strength up on it? Would that work? You know more about this magic crap'n I do."

((Basically, she wants to try casting Light as a higher level spell. Kytiel's a Warlock, so he might be familiar with how the Darkness spell works? Darkness dispels magical light of 2nd level or lower, but if he casts Light as a 3rd level spell, then...?))

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5754

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:10 am

After her idea (presumably) gets shot down, Veska considers just... going in blind. She could follow the tracks, but otherwise they'd be completely blind going through. It would be really simple to put a bunch of traps in an area like that and hope some dimwits stumble into it.

A knot starts forming in Veska's gut. She's so close, and she's going to get beat by a bit of magic darkness?

...No, not beat. She just has to retreat for now. This has to be where the Crawlers are coming from, and she won't be driven away. Not for long, at least.

"Awright. We find a way out, then," Veska decides, steeling herself. She still hates to hear herself say it, though. "Ya gotta admit, though, there's somethin' worth findin' down here. All this crap right under the bank? Ain't no way that's an accident."

Assuming Kytiel's okay with leaving, Veska tries to discern just where under the city they might be. Maybe there's another potential exit they could work their way towards, instead of backtracking through all those magic safeguards again?

Post Reply