The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6746

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:51 am

"Me? I'm just gathering some courage before I go in and ask if they will support starting a brewery, I even brought a couple of samples for them."

Vatro will pull a bottle of wine out of his bag and present it to the guards.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7365
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am

Veska

Reluctantly handing over the coins, you pocket the scroll and head back out for a little more shopping. Burlap sacks are much cheaper and easier to come across, although carrying them is a bit of a pain.

Your preparations made, you descend back into the sewers and find a nook to curl up in and rest. Sunset comes quickly, the sounds of the hustle and bustle in the streets above fading into nothing.

Vatro

"Me? I'm just gathering some courage before I go in and ask if they will support starting a brewery, I even brought a couple of samples for them."

The guards share a glance as the bottles come out, and the alcohol on your breath hits their noses. You're pretty sure one even rolls his eyes.

"Sure thing, bud. Come on, let's get you back home..."

Grabbing you roughly by the arm, the guard begins to steer you back out into the main street.

"So, where you staying? Middle Quarter?"

Jax

Finding a shadowy spot behind a nearby tree, Jax switches into his nobleman disguise. He does have to rush a bit so nobody notices, and that means the end result isn't exactly perfect. But it's not the end of the world - most people will just assume the clothes were roughed up from the day's travelling. He then shoves his bag into a gap in the trees roots, easily concealing it from view.

The faint sounds of chatter and laughter reaches his ears as he approaches the inn. Stepping inside, he finds most of the noise is coming from one table - half a dozen local farmers, celebrating...something mundane, no doubt. The other patrons mostly seem to be travellers, resting their feet after a long day of walking or riding. None of them seem particularly interesting or notable. You do notice that they're probably middle-class at best, with no jewellery or fine silk in sight. Maybe the noblemen and women socialise somewhere else?

The bald, moustached bartender glances up and gives you a nod, gesturing for you to come over.

"Evenin', sir. What can I do yer fer? Looking fer a room?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am

((Sorry, I'm a bit spotty on the plan... was Kytiel to have already been there, or be arriving at the same time, or after Jax?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

Jax gives the farmers the faintest look of disapproval and walks up to the bar, dumping his travelling cloak into the arms of a passing server without a second glance. Darius diMarco is used to being waited on.

"Well that rather depends on whether the beds have fleas. Now I am meeting an acquaintance here, and have hired the services of a guard for the foreseeable future. Have either of them arrived? My friend is Khyle Barnabus, and the body guard is... Ulrek? Argrul? I can never remember these foreign names..."

He pulls out the contract and makes a show of it...

"Ah yes, a Mister Oo-rag. Have they arrived?"

((We were arriving separately, at some point in the evening)).

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7365
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:46 am

Jax

The only server seems to be young man, barely 16, clearing some tables nearby. Seeing you take off your coat, he hurries over to accept it. Neither he nor the bartender seem fazed by your arrogance, no doubt used to dealing with nobles regularly.

"Of course, sir. We've got some nice n' clean rooms, save 'em just fer men of yer stature. 3gp a night. And that gets you into the lounge upstairs too. Keep the good chairs and wine up there."

"As fer yer friends, I'll let yer know soon as they arrive."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:56 am

Jax sniffs haughtily and places 5 gold on the bar.

"Very well. Have the boy send hot water to my room. I will also take a plate of meat, cheese and bread for my friend and I, and a bottle of wine. I trust you have such a thing? Put an excesses on my tab."

As soon as he finishes speaking Jax waits expectantly to be shown to the room.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am

Kytiel makes his way to the meeting location, cycling through a few faces on the way to be certain he is not followed.

As he approaches, he puts on his Khyle Barnabus face before entering.
► Show Spoiler
He looks around before approaching the bar.

"Good evening. If you've a... a decent red, I'll take that thank you... please."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11802

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 am

Uragh meanwhile, would have set him down a bit out of sight for a moment or two, impatiently waiting... He's gonna give it a good ten minutes or so, or as long as it takes for him to get so bored that he'd probably give away being there.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7365
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:03 am

Jax

The man nods at your instructions, gesturing for the boy to cover for him behind the bar. Taking your coat, he leads the way upstairs to a surprisingly comfortable looking room. It's no castle or manor suite, but the room is spacious, clean, and well-furnished. A large and comfy bed takes up one wall, while a sturdy oak writing desk sits at the nearby window. And a private washroom shows they've got at least basic plumbing out here, which is a damn sight better than the filthy outhouse back in your previous lodgings.

"Hot water will be 'bout five minutes while the kettle boils, sir. Lounge is just down the corridor, can't miss it. Only got one other tenant up here, so should be near empty. I'll get the wife to bring yer food n' drink up there, and send yer friends up too when they arrive. Any other servants or bags you'd like me to get fer yer?"

Kytiel

After slipping into your disguise, you enter the inn. A group of locals are celebrating in one corner, getting steadily drunker by the second, while a serving boy hurries between tables. The bartender is a large bald man, with an impressive moustache and deep voice.

"Good evening. If you've a... a decent red, I'll take that thank you... please."

"Sure thing. That'll be two silver."

Pulling a bottle out from a case behind him, he pours you a sizeable glass of the stuff. It's obviously not some fine elven wine, or anything like that. Still, you did only ask for "decent". Setting the glass in front of you, he gives a gruff nod.

"So, you 'ere fer a room? Or just the drink?"

Uragh

The inn gets noticeably quieter when you step through the door. Seems most of the locals are wary of half-orcs, judging by their expressions. A history of orcish raids, no doubt. And the serving boy looks like he's seen a ghost! The bartender seems pretty unconcerned though, and waves you over. Seeing his relaxed response, the other patrons quickly turn back to their own matters too.

"Evenin'. You Uragh?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 am

"Any other servants or bags you'd like me to get fer yer?"

"No, I am travelling light and alone today. My friend had an urgent, private matter that required my attention with a great deal more haste than I like. I shall await their arrival in the lounge; have the food brought there after I have washed."

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11802

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:29 am

Uragh pays no heed to the stares as he moves over to the counter, placing his arms on the counter with a noticeable slump.

"Yeah. Some bigshot fella need protecting in town, good money. Asked me to meet him out here. So I take it he's here? Good- I'd be awfully annoyed to have come out for nothing..."

"Has he arranged a bed for me as well, or do I need to go and fix that myself?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:17 am

Khyle takes a timid sip of the wine, "Oh, ah... room, I think? I'm meeting someone here, have some matters to... attend in the city, but it's been a long day. I think we are staying here... unless he says otherwise?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6746

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am

"Huh? How'd you know?.. Are you.. Are you.. Are you following me?"

Vatro will go in the direction they push him.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7365
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:19 pm

Vatro

"Huh? How'd you know?.. Are you.. Are you.. Are you following me?"

The guard just sighs and shakes his head, obviously unsure how to answer. Instead he just stays silent as he walks you back down the highstreet to the Upper-Middle gateway. He only stops once you're safely back in the Middle Quarter, and that's just to exchange some brief, whispered words with the guards on duty there.

((Roll Perception if you want to eavesdrop on them.))

Jax

"No, I am travelling light and alone today. My friend had an urgent, private matter that required my attention with a great deal more haste than I like. I shall await their arrival in the lounge; have the food brought there after I have washed."

"Will do, sir. Let us know if yer need anythin' else."

Shortly after the man leaves, your water arrives - a steaming basin carried by a pretty, polite young woman in her early 20's.

Kytiel

"Oh, ah... room, I think? I'm meeting someone here, have some matters to... attend in the city, but it's been a long day. I think we are staying here... unless he says otherwise?"

The man nods thoughtfully, as if he'd been expecting it.

"Mr Barnabus, I take it? Yer friend is upstairs, should be waiting in the lounge. What kinda room you looking fer? He's got the 3gp a night one, but cheaper rooms are 7sp, if that takes yer fancy?"

Uragh

"Yeah. Some bigshot fella need protecting in town, good money. Asked me to meet him out here. So I take it he's here? Good- I'd be awfully annoyed to have come out for nothing..."

"Has he arranged a bed for me as well, or do I need to go and fix that myself?"

"Sorry, didn't mention it. Rooms are 7sp a night. Or could get one in the stables fer 2sp, if yer want to save some coin? Heating ain't great, but you look tough enough to deal."

"Anyway, Mr Nobleman and his friend are waiting upstairs. Stevey 'ere will show yer up."

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11802

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:47 pm

"It'll be the room." Uragh replies, putting a gold piece on the table, before waiting on the change. "I guess we'll see if this noble has the guts to make me dock it from my pay or not..." he adds, grinning a bit as he waits to be escorted upstairs.

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6746

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm

The guards seems a bit too suspicious and Vatro might have moved too far away to hear them well.

Vatro perception: 1D20+6 = [8]+6 = 14
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:09 pm

"Oh, ah, the nicer one... I suppose. Do you mind if I meet with him first to confer?..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7365
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:20 am

Vatro

Fortunately for you, the guard's suspicions seem to be misplaced. You don't catch everything he says, but what you do hear is "drunk", "crazy", and "empty bottles". He sounds more worried about littering than anything else.

That said, it doesn't look like they'll be letting you back through this gate anytime soon. Luckily, the Upper-Market gate should still be fine....as long as the guard's don't send word down the wall to watch out for a "drunken elf".

Jax

After cleaning up (or whatever you were planning on doing with the water), you head down to this "lounge". Comfy leather chairs and wooden tables are spread out around the room, with bookshelves lining the near wall. A roaring fire sits in the far corner, filling the room with a warm glow.

Annoyingly however, the room isn't quite as empty as you'd like. One of the chairs near the fire is taken up by a bespectacled human, middle-aged, with short brown hair that is somehow both groomed and messy. He glances up briefly as you enter, giving a nod and smile in welcome, before returning to the book he's engrossed in. Soon after you enter, a matronly lady arrives with your food and drink, followed shortly by your companions...

Kytiel

"Oh, ah, the nicer one... I suppose. Do you mind if I meet with him first to confer?..."

"No problem. He's 'aving his supper in the lounge. Top of the stairs, end of the corridor. Feel free to take yer drink up with yer."

Heading upstairs, you find the lounge easily enough - a warm, inviting room, filled with comfy seats. Jax is sitting at one of the tables, seemingly halfway through a meal, while another man you don't recognise reads a book by the fire.

Uragh

"It'll be the room. I guess we'll see if this noble has the guts to make me dock it from my pay or not..."

"...I'll put it on his tab fer yer. Man like that ain't gonna notice anyway."

With that sorted, Stevey the bar-boy escorts you upstairs to the fanciest room you'd seen in a while. Maybe it was the smell of paper and leather - it reminds you of the captain's quarters on those big, fancy merchant ships. You know, the one's you raided and murdered everyone on.

Good times...

Anyway, Jax and Kytiel sit at a table with some bread, meat, and a bottle of fancy wine. There's also another human sat near the fire, but he seems more interested in his book than what's going on elsewhere in the room.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11802

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am

Uragh raises an eyebrow at the man, before grinning a bit.

"Heh. Boring. But smart."

Arriving in the fancy room upstairs, he approaches... Looking at the pair as if this were the first time he got a proper look at them. Eventually speaking up again.

"Name's Uragh. You hired me to be your bodyguide- I've arrived, as asked..."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 pm

((Do I recognize Jax in his current get up?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Jax will make a loud show of greeting his old friend Barnabus warmly when he enters the room, and will make general small talk. When Uragh appears, Jax will not rush to acknowledge the man, but will eventually pay him some attention.

"Oo-rag was it? Yes I've got your contract here. There's a stool by the fire you can use, while I catch up with my friend here. ...unless you would be more comfortable downstairs?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm

"Ah, oh, yes! Good, good to see you! You've gotten a room here? How do they look?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 06, 2018 6:36 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm
"Ah, oh, yes! Good, good to see you! You've gotten a room here? How do they look?"
"It shall suffice. I suspect they only have one room they consider "good", but I'm sure we shall survive for one night. I trust your journey here was not too arduous?"

He pours three glasses of wine, giving a noticeably smaller one to Uragh.

"No matter, we are here at last. I am sorry for your loss, Barny. May your uncle rest peacefully."

He raises his glass in a brief toast, and sips the wine before giving Barnabus the opportunity to speak if he wants to.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14665

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 06, 2018 8:12 am

"Ah, thank you. To Uncle. The world is poorer for the loss."

Khyle-tiel sets aside the not great wine and accepts a glass to raise in toast.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14026
Location: Florida

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 06, 2018 9:39 am

"Ah, but where are my manners?"

Turning towards the lone man in the chair, Jax offers another glass of wine:

"Would you care to join us in our toast? My friend recently lost his dear uncle and we were going to spend a little time remembering him this evening."

Post Reply