The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:34 pm

Jax hopefully would have remembered to pick up his bag of gear from under the tree that he stowed it under last night, otherwise he's going to have a long damn walk back out to the stupid inn AGAIN.

Anyway, assuming he's smarter than I am about that stuff, Jax will collapse onto a couch and fill the others in on what happened last night with the middle of the night coach, its passenger and the driver, and where they're staying. He'll also cast Disguise Self now, while the driver's features are in his head so that Kytiel can copy it if needs be.

"So! Now what? I've been up all night, so I could really use a nap..."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Veska was loathe get up in the morning, snuggled under the covers in her impossibly soft bed, but duty called....

As rest of the band of thieves are settling in, having finally arrived after the sun had risen, Veska rounds the corner into the living area looking like the dark-haired, doughy faced halfling from yesterday.

"Well one o' you mugs could take a look at a book we swiped yesterday. He's got it in his bag," she says, jerking a thumb at Vatro. "He couldn't make heads or tails of it, and I can't read, so....," Veska shrugs.

"'Sides that, we snagged those plumbin' blueprints we were meanin' to. We ain't looked at 'em much yet."

"As fer today's agenda... well I was gonna slink 'round the sewers, see if there's a way 'round the northern kobold packs, to get up under the bank. 'Else we'll have to strike a deal with 'em to let us through." She peers up at at Jax and Khytiel. "Weren't one or two o' ya gonna figure out the guard rotation today or somethin'?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Kytiel will match faces with Jax.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:39 pm

(Dang, I forgot to post the part where Uragh pulls out his dual scimmies and makes sure there's no intruders... Then attacks the kobold. >:P)

Uragh shrugs, the "thinking" part not his style... Not that he's dumb, but he's more of a brute force kinda guy. "Well, where's the plans..? Ought to check those out asap... First, though, now that we're in private, I've another matter to attend to... A certain disappearing man." Uragh states, turning to stare mild daggers at Jax.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:59 pm

"That reminds me... I covered your share of the tab at the inn..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 pm

((Jax happily fills in the pair on the details, which I can't find right now cos I'm on my phone. But he'll tell you guys whatever you want to know)).

Jax snorts at Kytiel's reminder and hands over the gold. "That innkeeper must've learned the hard way not to trust anyone who comes through his doors. Ah well. I'm not sure it was all worth it, but we have a couple of good leads with our historian friend and we know where [important guy] is staying and how he gets around. His driver's on a retainer too which might help us if we can track him down. And your alter ego has arrived in style, so no one should be too suspicious of our sudden arrival."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm

"We'll, I'm glad you showed up again, sounds like a busy night. Uragh and I weren't sure how to spin our arrival if you went missing for much longer."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Uragh raises an eyebrow at the story of how Jax decided to just... Hang out on a cart with what ended up being one of the carmichaels. "Got a proper look at him..? Bet a guy like him could get some proper respect- Get you access to places, if you get what I'm saying." he says, remembering the snippet of conversation back at the gate of a "Freddie", suspiciously similar to "Frederick"... He grins for a moment, but doesn't mention it, figuring it not important.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:41 pm

"I didn't, but I had a decent chat with the driver. .. I'll need to remember not to use that face again around him, cos I cast wee charm on him that he'll likely not be too pleased about. It seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up at the time... I'll be sure to leave a note next time.

Saying that, I don't think we should be impersonating anyone important unless we've got no other choice. It's too risky. Folk like them usually have all kinds of fail-safes and stuff in place. You want to nudge your way into their circles, pretend you belong, play the charming stranger, then vanish before anyone notices you too much. At least, that's how I like to play it. I'm a supporting actor, not the prima donna."

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:17 am

Vatro

Before going to bed, Vatro spends a little time going over those blueprints. You know, the whole reason the even went to the offices in the first place :roll:

Luckily, this one isn't written in code. While the blueprints focus mainly on the bank's plumbing, they do also show the outlines of walls and windows - probably because they'd be pretty useless if they didn't. And it's these that he focuses on, discovering a couple of interesting things...

(1) The window that he saw the day before, which could probably be jumped to from the neighbouring building, looks like it belongs to an upper level storeroom or cupboard of some kind. At least, it seems too small to be anything else. From there the route down to the vault level is tricky, but not impossible. Assuming there aren't a million guards.

(2) Another possible way in would be through what seem to be skylights in the roof. If they could somehow get up there, it would be a straight drop down into the main foyer, from which they could easily slip downstairs to the vaults. Downside being that they'd be in plain view of any guards, and it was a 40ft fall. Though that last part was mainly an issue for his companions.

Sadly though, while the blueprints show how to get into the bank, it doesn't seem like they're going to be much help for navigating the vaults themselves. The only thing marked for the basement area is a long corridor, with numerous large doorways lining it. It's pretty obvious those are the vaults; however, there's no indication of which one belongs to whom, or what lies beyond the doors.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 pm

While Vatro focuses on finding more conventional means of entry into the bank, Veska looks over the blueprints to see if a way up into the bank by means of the sewers. She pores over the document with her stolen magnifying glass, which she made a point of choosing as part of her share of last night's loot.

Investigation on bank plumbing blueprints (w/ Magnifying Glass): 1D20-1 = [10]-1 = 9
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:32 am

Veska

Veska takes her own look at the blueprints, but despite the help from the magnifying glass she can't seem to find anything useful. All the pipes into the bank are too small to climb up, even for her. Well, probably? She can't actually read the measurements they're given, but they all look pretty narrow...

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:30 am

"So from what I could tell from the blueprints is that we've got at least two ways in, besides the front door. We could take a chance and jump from a nearby roof and enter through a window. It wasn't closed when I cased the joint. It should lead into a closet of some kind. At least that's what it looks like to me on the blueprint. We could also enter through the skylight, which would require us to get all the way up on the roof, but there could be a fast way down to the vaults, given it's a sheer drop down. Not that it is going to be a problem."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am

"And it looks like there could be a way up through the sewers," Veska says, handing her magnifying glass back to Vatro to stuff in his magic bag. "Not big enough for you lugs, but I could prolly fit up through. I'd have to go check to make sure."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 am

Uragh just raises an eyebrow at it all... He asks to have it passed over, willing to give it a look- Even though he doubts he'll figure something out they haven't, it was worth a shot at least.

"Checking out the sewers might be worthwhile... Might be that some of the pipes are wider than they first appear, yeah? Or short enough that we might be able to... Create a way in."

(postponing roll for now in lieu of figuring out what is wrong with my sheet :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 am

((Apologies, I missed you talking to us!))

Jax and Khytiel do their face-matching thing, and then Jax will take a look at the ledger book.

Investigation: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21

"Who'd you take this off anyway?"

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 am

"Hidden safe at the so called sanitation office. Although it seems it was more than that."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:21 am

"Yeah, I think it was the head guy's room, had a fancy plaque up outside the door. Safe was tucked behind a paintin' with an Alarm spell on it. I got past it, but he must o' had another one on the safe, 'cause he came snoopin' around not long after we was on our way out."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 am

"Any chance he knows it was you who took it?"

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 am

"Nah, he ain't seen us. I only heard 'em coming myself - I never saw 'em either. And we're hidin' the goods in his magic bag," Veska says with a head tilt towards Vatro, "so there ain't even the chance of a Locate Object spell findin' us out."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:46 am

"I suppose we'd better be quick looking it over then... And probably find different locations to examine some of this stuff if you think "Locate Object" is going to be a problem for us. I don't think I know that spell though. How does it work?"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:54 am

Everyone - Safehouse

While the two groups share stories, Jax takes a closer look at the ledger. As Vatro had already explained, most of it is written in a shorthand code. That said, compared to the rambling nature of Thieves' Cant, this code is....simplistic at best. It doesn't take him long to translate a few of letters, at which point the rest falls neatly into place.

Put simply, it's a transaction record. Numbers in the margins list coin and gemstone values, alongside the names of who it came from. The weird part is that it only seems to list income though....not expenditures. After skimming the notes a bit more, Jax realises why that is: they're customers.

Whoever owned this book seemed to be using their position to sell...something to these people. Information, favours...the notes are cryptic enough to make figuring out exactly what almost an impossibility.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am

((hey, it's a drug dealer's little black book!))

Jax tells the others what he's found and tells anyone interested how to decrypt the code.

He'll skim through to see if recognises any names, and note who the biggest / most regular buyers are.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Kytiel peers over Jax's shoulder, but doesn't glean any important insights.

Investigation: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:49 pm

Uragh's own investigation meanwhile... Doesn't lead to anything in particular.

Investigation: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16