The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:51 am

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

After doing their preparations (Uragh presumably buying some flasks of oil?) the trio regroup and go to Church.

Luckily for them, the Church of Lathander where they meet Father Brevikson isn't too far from the Upper walls. Accepting the gold graciously, he blesses each of you in turn. Veska gets a bit of a weird look as he's touching her to apply the spell, but by the time he realises something might be up she's already rushed off without even a "thank you".

Twenty minutes later, the group enters Crawler territory.

((Stealth and Perception checks from all of you, please.))
► Show Spoiler
Jax

Leaving Kytiel to Bankwatch, you set off after the assistant. They don't seem too worried about being followed, more interested in getting home. Which turns out to be 11 Dragonfly Row, judging by the way he's unlocking the door.

((Roll Insight))

Kytiel

With the tea-room now closed, you do some laps of the buildings every now and then, changing faces as you go to keep any observers off your tail. The streets quieten even further, sounds of evening meals drifting from nearby homes as people begin to retire for the right.

Eventually though, there's some movement - a figure in fancy royal-blue robes, flanked by guards. Something seems different about their uniforms, though. The badge on their chest is a weird shape? And you can't tell much about the one they're walking with either, his face covered by a hood. It's hard to get a good look from such a distance.

That said, it's also hard to miss how they disappear inside the Bank. And don't come back out. Bit late for customers, isn't it?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 am

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:13 am

Jax

...wait, hadn't the gnome said 9 Dragonfly Row? You're pretty sure he didn't misspeak, either.

And did he call the assistant Eris, or Erin...?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:31 am

((... Those weren't typos? Man, you're better at writing forum posts than I am haha!

Also... Balls. Do we have twins!?))

Noticing the discrepancy, Jax would like to try and remember if there was anything different about the assistant who served him brandy and the one who he gave the gold coin to, and the one he's just followed to the wrong house.

Would that be perception? ((PS his passive is 16))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:19 pm

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Veska once again leads, careful to bring the two tall-folk, especially the bulky Uragh, through tunnels they can fit through while still being quiet as well as making good time. This would be a challenge for anyone, but Veska's natural familiarity with these sewers means they only have to make a few small detours.

Stealth and Perception (Natural Explorer) returning to temporary kobold den:
1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13
1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25

"The kobolds prolly won't be happy to see ya," Veska cautions Vatro, "but I'll explain things to 'em."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:13 pm

((Roughly what time is it now? Do I see any lights on in the bank as I do my laps?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:40 am

Vatro sees nothing, but is likewise hard to notice going through the sewers

Vatro perception and stealth: 1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8
1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 pm

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

The sewer group advances carefully, not wanting to attract any unwelcome attention. They soon find themselves at the entrance to the Kobold den - Veska darting inside to fetch Barusk and his hunters while the other two hide outside. Neither of them see anything, but as Veska returns she thinks she hears some faint scuttling, luckily moving away from them.

The Kobolds are pretty well-armed - at least, as well as you'd expect for Kobolds. Barusk has got himself a small shield made out of thick wood to go with his metal club, while the other three are carrying daggers and slings.

Seeing Vatro, Barusk hisses in annoyance.

"Voga svant ingellarar? Wux nakta bvecko tarannen ihk vi Jennu Harroc, "Veska wer Nurocuirgarh"."

Jax

Realising something is up, Jax falters. He can't recall any differences between the half-elf who served him, and the one he paid. In fact, hadn't they responded to "Eris" both times? So it was probably the same person.

Which meant....who's this "Erin" at 11 Dragonfly Row?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 pm

((The manager called one Erin and one Eris I think - did that not happen in their presence both times? Either way, this is weird. Any back alleys or anything here? What sort of buildings are we looking at in this neighbourhood and what's the foot traffic like?))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:11 pm

"Lae si said ghoros, si confna tenpiswo shafaer voga cep. Zyak tira astahii," Veska says, gesturing invisibly to Uragh and Vatro. "Jaka sia lastu tuarno ui wer Maw, shar astahii geou letoclo tagoa wer Maw ui persvek wer idol."

"Tir ti xihood zahae coi. Filki siofme di astahi lae rhyaex fethosi," Veska consoles Barusk with a chuckle. "Astahii re tokeq de weyog jaka, diieson lae ve."

With that, Veska leads the way to where she believes Rezak fell. She picks up her speed to a Normal traveling pace.

Perception traveling to Rezaks Fall (Natural Explorer): 1D20+6 = [20]+6 = 26

Ain't nothin' getting past Veska's senses (also 90 feet of Darkvision).

She calls back to give her fellow kobolds some direction, in addition to any Barusk may provide. "Nakta thesek. Yth mirt wer Crawlers mojka de wer bekim ekess ygish astahi, shar qe doegel ti ekess zhin sari vin ygish doutani. Shala ve vur sia thurirli ekess clax wer donotreskic - yth re tokeq de wer Crawlers' weyog. Throdenilti jathilavi, tir ti qe pothoc."

"Stick with the kobolds, alright?" She switches to common for Uragh and Vatro. "They ain't as tough as you, and they ain't protected from the Crawler venom like we are. But if there's one thing kobolds're good at, it's group fightin'. Keep 'em safe, and they'll keep you safe. Got it?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:41 pm

((Is it dark out? Would I be able to approach any of the windows? Guards stationed around building?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Jax will continue past the house, and see if he can find a legit way round to the back of the terrace (i.e. no jumping over fences or that!). He'll pay attention to if any lights come on inside no. 11 or number 9.

((How many floors are the houses? And are they more like terraced homes or tenement flats?))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:10 am

Perception: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16

Uragh silently grunts while proceeding.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:39 am

Vatro whispers to Uragh as the kobolds start talking.

"Definitely got why you thought it was an annoying trip."

Once Veska finaly adresses them he doesn't really react beyond a snide comment.

"Sure, sure as long as they actually prove useful."

Vatro perception: 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:40 am

"You weren't stuck in their borrow for like, HOURS..." he silently remarks...

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

"Tir ti xihood zahae coi. Filki siofme di astahi lae rhyaex fethosi. Astahii re tokeq de weyog jaka, diieson lae ve."

"Heh, nomagqe svant ingellarari re ti zyak tisvelk."

After diffusing the tension between the group, Veska leads everyone onward - with a little help from Barusk. He might not be any good at drawing maps, but he knows these tunnels almost as well as she does.

As they approach their destination, everyone keeps their eyes peeled for activity. And your attentiveness is rewarded. As you pass through a run-off chamber, water flowing from a grate high in the wall down into a river of waste, everyone (even the Kobolds) picks up on an intense skittering at the edge of their hearing.

The Kobolds recognise it immediately, hissing a warning before scampering into safe-ish spots. The Crawler sounds like it's coming from behind you. And judging by how fast it's moving, it probably knows you're all there...

However, as everyone is moving into position, Veska and Vatro both notice something else. In one of the tunnels nearby is a vertical shaft, going up at a slight angle. And there seems to be what looks like water dripping down it. But when you take a second look, you notice the "water" has a consistency suspiciously resembling that of drool.

You can't hear any movement coming from up there, but that could all change very quickly...

► Show Spoiler
Jax

Very confused about this whole business, Jax decides to scout around the back of the houses. He finds a convenient alleyway running behind the buildings - seems they don't have gardens here - and creeps down it towards numbers 9 and 11. He notices that lights are on in both houses, and they have back doors leading out into the alley.

((Roll Stealth))

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Let's say Uragh would be on the left just outside the entrance they just came through?

edit:

initiative: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:12 pm

"Get ready fer the one that's comin'," Veska gives a hushed suggestion to Uragh and Vatro, "I got this one that's hidin'."

Veska then positions herself 10 feet right of the X, bow drawn.

Initiative for Crawler ambush at Rezaks fall: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 am

"If you want the drooler, be my guest."

Vatro will be on the other side of the opening ready to punch it in the face when it comes crawling out! He'll try to take note if the sound is coming from the ground or the ceiling.

Vatro initiative: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

As Uragh and Vatro flank the tunnel in preparation for the Crawler to arrive, Veska keeps an eye on the other one, bow drawn. The Kobold's also spread out, the three warriors pulling out their slings and moving to join Veska while Barusk stands right in front of the tunnel, shield raised to face the Crawler head on.

And it soon arrives - barrelling out of the tunnel so fast that Uragh and Vatro are almost caught by surprise! Only one of the Kobolds is fully prepared, letting loose a stone that smacks it on the side of the head. Not that it even seems to notice, focused entirely on Barusk in front of it. He's able to block its teeth with his shield, but then one of the tentacles wraps around his foot, and the Kobold shudders as the poison begins to seep into his bloodstream.

Kobold 1 (22)
Crawler (21), Barely injured
Vatro (19)
Veska (16)
Uragh (13)
Barusk (13), Slightly injured, paralyzed
Kobold 2 (12)
Kobold 3 (8)
► Show Spoiler
Jax

Creeping down the alleyway, Jax is as stealthy as a rat. A really big, clumsy rat. Luckily, it doesn't seem like anyone is particularly paying attention to this side of the buildings, and he's able to get behind the two houses without being caught.

At least, he doesn't think anyone saw him...

Bad news is there aren't any windows on these sides of the buildings, save a glass pane in the backdoors. However, Jax can see the faint flicker of candlelight coming from both of them.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Vatro tries to punch the crawler but seemingly drunkenly stumbles so he misses the punch but "accidently" elbows it instead and gets a bit of distance by kicking off it

Vatro attack: 1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23

Vatro bonus action attack: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Unarmed damage: 1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6
Unarmed damage: 1D6+4 = [1]+4 = 5
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Veska, Uragh, and Vatro

Vatro swings at the Crawler, managing to turn a miss into a series of smacks to its side. It's enough to get the creature's attention, at least.

There's no activity from the other tunnel.

Kobold 1 (22)
Crawler (21), Slightly injured
Vatro (19)
Veska (16)
Uragh (13)
Barusk (13), Slightly injured, paralyzed
Kobold 2 (12)
Kobold 3 (8)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:20 pm

"Malai," Veska hisses under her breath, as Barusk immediately gets himself paralyzed.

Focusing on the other Crawler, she edges closer to its hiding spot until she can get a clear line of sight on it, then lets loose three arrows up into it simultaneously!

3 shortbow attacks at drooling Crawler (Invisible ADV):
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [18, 12]+7 = 25
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [8, 16]+7 = 23
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [3, 18]+7 = 25

3 shortbow attacks at drooling Crawler damage (+Dread Ambusher):
1D6+4 = [6]+4 = 10
1D6+4 = [2]+4 = 6
1D6+4+1D8 = [1]+4+[2] = 7

"Tir ti itrewic trelk! Jaseve batobot ekess ve," Veska commands her entourage, casting her bow aside and invisibly drawing a shortsword.