The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:47 am

Kytiel smiles as he waves a hand at his own appearance. "I'm rather used to it..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Veska leads Kytiel through a suitably-sized sewer grate (which is considerably easier this time without Uragh along).

As Veska descends into the sewer ahead of Kytiel, she seems to fade from view as the darkness envelops her, disappearing even from any Darkvision-inducing effects Kytiel may have cast on himself. All he can manage to see of her is an inky smear of darkness ahead of him, leading the way.*

Stealth and Perception (Natural Explorer) returning to Maw lair:
1D20+7 = [10]+7 = 17
1D20+6 = [14]+6 = 20

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:20 pm

SuperVaderMan wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:19 pm
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:53 am

Well if it is an inn then what are waiting for?! They must have booze! Shouldn't be too suspicious to go there and maybe look for a good moment to slip away further inside?
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:03 am

Kytiel grunts as Veska is shrouded in shadow.

Stealth; Perception: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22
2D20.LOW(1)+1 = [17, 20]+1 = 18

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Descending into the sewers, Veska leads the way back to the Maw's lair.

The two of you have a bit of a close call as a large shape passes through a junction ahead of you. Though Kytiel is hearing it for the first time, Veska recognises the faint clacking of a Crawler's claws. But it seems oblivious to your presence, and the sounds soon fade into the distance.

Eventually, the pair arrive at their destination - a large, cylindrical chamber, with pipes of various sizes leading into it and a 10ft wide open pit in the center. And Veska immediately recognises that things aren't how she left it. For one, the Crawler's dead body is completely gone. And while the Maw's corpse is still present, there's...quite a lot of it missing. Bits appear to have been gnawed and ripped off, leaving just an empty husk of bone and skin. The meat pile is also noticeably smaller than it was last night.

Uragh

Moving along the riverbank, Uragh occasionally peers over the wall, trying to look for a sewer exit or something. By the time he reaches the harbour, he's only really found one viable option - a grate just above water level, about 5ft in diameter, near the bridge to the lower section of the Market Quarter. All the other pipes he finds just look too small for them fit down.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:25 pm

Kytiel would have brought forth a greatsword as his pact weapon during their descent.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:25 pm

"Hell, how many Crawlers are there?" Veska asks under her breath, surveying the leftovers.

"Well... I'll start checkin' pipes, figure out which ones go up to the bank."

And Veska does so!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 pm

((let's just wing it))

Jax leaves the safehouse, disguised as Dario again, and heads off to find the historian.

Theis, do you want a disguise before we leave? If so, Jax can help you out.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:38 pm

((If the floor is nasty, Kytiel is on a wall.))

"Besides keeping an ear out for these ... Crawlers, is there anything you want me to be doing?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:50 pm

"What're ya askin' me for? Yer the one who wanted to come along." Veska gestures invisibly around the room. "Check some pipes if ya ain't got nothin' better to do."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Grumbling something about making sure fools don't get themselves killed, Kytiel gives some pipes a cursory check.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9
((Passive: 11))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:01 am

Uragh remembers the average position of the outlet, just in case, also giving a quick check to see if he can spot any way to open it- A lock? Or if it's a simple grill, what kind of force would be required to break it open...

Eventually though, he arrives at the docks- For now, deciding to just... Act casual. He's looking for one of the people that's employed him in the past, or at least know him... If he helps just unload ships for a little while it's not gonna earn him much, but it'd be perfect for scanning for any kind of interesting cargo... Like explosives. And if he gets lucky, he might even get a "package" from some of the less scrupulous captains around, which was always a nice little bonus payment to deliver...

(Let me know if you need a roll)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm

Upon seeing Jax get in his disguise, Vatro will casually ask for one as well, nothing fance just enough to obscure who he is.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:11 pm

Jax will happily oblige.

"So do you want to turn over his room while he's showing me around, or jump straight to mugging the man?"

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:07 am

Veska and Kytiel

The pair begin investigating the pipes and tunnels, Veska scaling the walls like a spider while Kytiel just walks up them like an asshole.

Assuming the bank is almost directly above them, like Veska seems to think, Kytiel reckons the pipe they want must be near the top of the chamber. Checking those out, they find two that look promising - which means they're both in the right spot and also wide enough for their...larger companions to fit through.

One goes along for about 20ft then ramps up sharply, while the smaller one seems to curve gently to the left?

Uragh

Uragh memorises the location of the spot as best he can....which isn't actually too hard, considering he's only about 30ft upriver from Ironwrought Bridge (i.e. the main way across the river). He also checks it for a lock, but the grate looks to be sealed into the stonework. Though it does look pretty heavily rusted - a few swift kicks might even be enough to break it free?

Then at the harbour he starts asking around about jobs and "special powder", playing up the scary half-orc attitude. It doesn't really work too well though - most of the people he talks to are either too scared to actually say anything useful, or know him well enough to not be intimidated.

Jax and Vatro

Deciding that well thought out plans are for sissies, Jax and Vatro stick on some disguises and leave the safehouse, heading towards the tavern.

Nestled between some much larger buildings, the Elven Minstrel is a quaint little place. You almost miss it, only catching sight of the signing sign at the last second. Through the windows you can see the gentle glow of a warm fire, hearing soft laughter and gentle conversation.

((Jax needs to roll a Disguise check (INT + prof) for both of them))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:16 pm

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:29 pm

"Huh... this pipe that goes straight up oughta go to the bank. I dunno where this other one goes."

"You want we should climb one and check? Prolly be risky, though."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Jax and Vatro

Jax manages to replicate his disguise from the night before pretty accurately. While Vatro walks out of the safehouse looking like a completely different person!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Uragh frowns at the fact no one has heard of anything "interesting"... Or for that matter, got any sneaky deliveries to be made. Well, he's not gonna give up just yet, though- If talking to his "regulars" doesn't reveal anything interesting, perhaps just a walk along the docks might find something... If he can find a ship that has some cannons on board, there HAS to be powder on board as well, no..?

Investigation: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:38 pm

"Better to check them now and know...", Kytiel will let her take the lead if she wants it, otherwise walking up the wall of the straight up pipe.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Veska will indeed attempt the climb up the straight-up shaft!

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 am

"You can do your thing, you might find out if something is noteworthy or he keeps you away from it. He'll also be distracted. A good entry way?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Choosing the vertical shaft, the pair enter and start climbing. Veska crawls through easily, and while it's a bit of a squeeze for Kytiel, he still does better than a certain half-orc would.

Looking up, you see the tunnel stretches for about 30ft before hitting a metal grate.

((Athletics check from Veska for climbing up))

Uragh

Uragh gives up on talking to people, instead strolling along the harbour. This side of the river, most of the ships are either merchant or passenger vessels. And they rely more on speed for defence, not firepower. However, there are some cannon emplacements built into the city, pointing out to sea - a defensive measure in case of a naval assault. And he spots one military ship docked, with some shiny new cannons on its top deck.

He also knows that, were he to cross over to the lower docks, there'd probably be a pirate ship or two anchored up (in disguise, of course). And those usually had some cannons hidden away on their lower decks, for "emergencies".

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:42 pm

"Hrm, guess that figures. I ain't got nothin' fer gettin' past this, 'less it's bolted on or somethin'."

Veska climbs closer to ascertain whether that is the case!

Athletics (Climbing) to get closer to shaft grate: 1D20+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Or, she tries to.