Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am

Veska and Kytiel

As the plants get close, Veska uses the agility granted by her gloves to deftly dart around the weeds. She's not sure why, but something tells her it would be a bad idea to touch them. Kytiel sees this happen and follows suit, the pair swimming deeper into the tunnels without issue.

Eventually, the passage starts to climb up again, and Veska's head finally breaks the surface. The fog still hangs thick in the air, blocking her vision - but she can see dry land at the edge of her sight, and more tunnel beyond.

They both also hear an intense roaring sound, coming from up ahead. Like a very strong wind?
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:41 am

What the Hell could that be? It sounds like wind, but there's still all this fog everywhere?

Whatever, that sound isn't Veska's priority. She swims to shore, at an angle to the roaring sound, and attempts to pick up the trail again. If that trail happens to take her closer to that sound, so be it, but she'll give it a wide berth otherwise.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:59 am

Out of his natural element, Kytiel follows, strapping on his shield and resummoning his longsword.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am

Uragh simply shrugs. "How'd you think I figured it out so fast in the first place? No need to worry, though... Just know what to look for. Most people wouldn't, and most who do... Eh, who gives a crap?"

"As for how much... I admit, it's been a little while since I've dealt with the stuff, and they didn't put a "greenskin" like me in charge of finances." he says with a big of a shrug- Technically not a lie.

"Know enough of it to think my own client either thinks I'm dense, or rolling in the stuff for some reason... Looking for maybe a keg's worth, said he's willing to give 220 for it- Which ain't gonna work especially if I want my own cut."

"...How much would YOU ask..?"
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 am

Veska and Kytiel

Swimming to the shore, Veska quickly realises that there's only one route forward - towards the roaring sound. The fog stops her seeing more than a couple of feet ahead, but as they advance the sound is definitely getting louder...

Then the fog abruptly vanishes, their tunnel connecting to the mid-point of a wider one in a T-junction arrangement. Cautiously sticking her hand out, Veska immediately feels an intense wind blowing in from the left. She can barely hold her arm there without it getting blown back.

Uragh

"How'd you think I figured it out so fast in the first place? No need to worry, though... Just know what to look for. Most people wouldn't, and most who do... Eh, who gives a crap? As for how much... I admit, it's been a little while since I've dealt with the stuff, and they didn't put a "greenskin" like me in charge of finances. Know enough of it to think my own client either thinks I'm dense, or rolling in the stuff for some reason... Looking for maybe a keg's worth, said he's willing to give 220 for it- Which ain't gonna work especially if I want my own cut."

"...How much would YOU ask..?"

Jormun pauses for a bit, gears obviously turning in his head.

"Well, I'd be lying if I said I couldn't help you...but I'm afraid our price might be a bit steeper than you're hoping. Powder isn't easy to get your hands on in this city, after all. Something you're no doubt aware of, if we're your best option..

"Let's say...300 gold for a keg. Or we can spare a few powder horns for 40 each, if you don't mind going back to your client a little light."

► Show Spoiler
Vatro

Over the next hour or so, you slip between the rooms like a ghost, deftly avoiding the few patrons who aren't out. However, so much of your focus is on staying hidden, you don't really get a change to do much searching.

Still, it isn't a complete waste of time. You find around 29gp worth of general belongings, ranging from nice cloaks and shoes to loose coinage. Finally, just after you've dropped off the book in the last untouched room, you hear an indignant voice call from the far end of the corridor.

"Hey! Someone's been in my room!"

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:51 am

Vatro will lock the door from inside the room where he dropped off the book, if possible, look out the window to see if the coast is clear enough to jump out and simply walk away.

Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [17]+6+[3] = 26
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:42 am

Veska dips back into the fog, taking a step back from the tunnel so she can be heard over the roaring wind. "Trail goes right! I'm all fer goin' in, but I 'unno if we can double-back 'gainst this damn wind if we do! Might hafta find another way out!"

"You in, or ya think we should head back and get some gear fer this?!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Kytiel will climb up towards the ceiling and poke his pact weapon out into the hallway to see if there are any calmer eddies that might allow for easier passage.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm

"I see... Don't think I'll be able to make a deal like that straight away, I'm afraid. Gonna have to check with them, first... There's also the matter we should probably keep hauling a whole barrel of the stuff until it's dark- Though I might buy a horn just to show I found something."

"As for the price... I can make it work. That's just the kind of thing that happens when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. But... Any penny I can save is a penny in my pocket. So here's what I offer."

"I'll pay 40 for your horn's worth. But if I cut the deal and come back, you'll sell what remains in the keg for 240. Worst case scenario, big deal ends up not happening, and you're forty gold richer. Best case scenario... You get less than you're asking for, but we both know you're still making a tidy profit on this deal."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Veska and Kytiel

As Veska backs up, Kytiel climbs to the roof of the tunnel and tests the wind up there. It doesn't seem to be any weaker than it is on the floor though. The current is pretty consistent no matter where he sticks his weapon.

Vatro

The moment there's the faintest hint of that his actions have been discovered, Vatro is gone. Slipping out of the upper floor window, he waits for the moment there's nobody in view before scrambling down the side of the building. As far as he can see, nobody outside has noticed his sudden appearance.

Behind him he hears some commotion inside the inn, but nothing coming in his direction. Yet.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:15 pm

"Well... if this tunnel continued onward, I could get us past the wind, but with it coming to a T like this... Can you tell if the marks go upwind or down?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:05 pm

"Like I said, trail goes downwind!" Veska shouts up at Kytiel, over the roar of the tunnel. "So we goin' in or what?!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:07 am

"Sorry, little hard to hear you over the wind... Yeah, lets head onward. You have any rope? Might be worth tying ourselves together in that wind."

((I may be over estimating how hard the wind is blowing?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

"Nah, mine's still hangin' from that hole we came down! 'Less you grabbed it?!"

Veska considers the tunnel for a few moments, before lying down on her stomach. "Gonna try crawlin' through, maybe that'll be easier?!"

She then proceeds to do so, entering the tunnel while keeping her body flat to the ground, following along the trail. Hopefully the little kobold won't be so easy to blow away like this?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:01 pm

If it seems to go well, Kytiel will follow... if not, try to grab her before she blows away like a kite...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Vatro will casually stroll away, going straight away from the crime scene, only later steering towards exit from the rich district later. If he sees any shops with any type of alcohol, he'll take a quick stop to see what they have.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Guessing that a smaller target might make it harder for the wind to blow away, Veska goes prone and crawls into the tunnel....and is immediately blasted along the ground, tumbling head over heels! Kytiel tries to reach out and grab her, but between the fog and her innate invisibility his snatch goes wide!

Now that she's in the tunnel, Veska can see that it's fairly long. The far end ahead of her is around 45ft away, at which point there appears to be another passage curving to the right. In her direct vicinity there's two exits - one ahead of her on the left, and another just behind her, 5ft to the right. Both are shrouded in that strange fog. While the wind has blasted her about 15ft from Kytiel and the entrance.

Oh, and the end of the tunnel (15-20ft directly behind her) appears to drop off into a vertical pit...

((Another Strength save, please.))

Uragh

"I see... Don't think I'll be able to make a deal like that straight away, I'm afraid. Gonna have to check with them, first... There's also the matter we should probably keep hauling a whole barrel of the stuff until it's dark- Though I might buy a horn just to show I found something."

"Sensible. I was going to suggest the same thing."

"As for the price... I can make it work. That's just the kind of thing that happens when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. But... Any penny I can save is a penny in my pocket. So here's what I offer."

"I'll pay 40 for your horn's worth. But if I cut the deal and come back, you'll sell what remains in the keg for 240. Worst case scenario, big deal ends up not happening, and you're forty gold richer. Best case scenario... You get less than you're asking for, but we both know you're still making a tidy profit on this deal."

"...one horn now. We'll talk price for the keg when you get back."

"Though, if I were you, I'd be quick about it. Once things are sorted with our current client, there's no guarantee that we'll be staying docked for long. Might even be gone by dawn, if the weather holds."

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Strength Save against wind tunnel oh noooo: 1D20+2 = [1]+2 = 3

Veska gets blasted away like a leaf in a hurricane, cursing like a sailor all the way! Between swears and general panic, she tries to angle herself into one of the side passages, any of them, no chance to be picky!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:26 am

Kytiel pulls out his glowing ball bearing, holding it in a position that will hopefully illuminate Veska, while calling her name.

((Bright 20 ft, dim to 40 ft.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 am

((Veska is around the corner now, so you won't see her unless you stick your head out into the wind.))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 am

Surprisingly enough, Vatro is proficient in performing, might be from all the time he's faking being drunk or not faking not being so.

Vatro performance: 1D20+2+1D4 = [15]+2+[4] = 21
Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [7]+6+[4] = 17
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:03 am

Kytiel summons a war pick, and slams it into the ground before flattening himself to it and easing into the hallway, looking over his shoulder for Veska. He'll drop the ball bearing into the hallway and let the wind carry it in her direction if it gets blown away.

((Basically going climber position against the floor, using the pick to help anchor. I'll be afk most of the day if you want to make necessary rolls.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Veska and Kytiel

As Veska scrambles against the wind, Kytiel edges into the hallway and releases the illuminated ball bearing. From her perspective, all she sees is the glowing ball fly past her head - while Kytiel watches it drop into the pit behind her. And drop.

And drop.

In fact, the light from the ball disappears long before it hits the bottom, filling the tunnel with darkness once again.

Not that Veska needed any extra motivation to dive for the nearest exit! Stumbling heavily, she slams into the corner of the right tunnel, feet still getting pulled by the wind while her hands scrabble for purchase on the rough rock. Kytiel finds himself in a similar position, the warpick being the only thing holding him in place as the wind howls around him.

((Both of you, roll Strength saving throws with Advantage))

Vatro

Vatro easily blends into the crowds of midday shoppers, ambling from store window to window. And he even finds a nice little corner brewery on the way back to the Safehouse, hidden away on a side street.

Jax

The "tour" turning out to be a lot less useful than you were hoping - who knew history could be so dull! - you eventually get Lucas to move things along a bit faster.

You do keep an eye out as you wander back to the inn, however. You still might get something useful from all this.

From what you can tell, guard patrols seem to be heavier in the richer districts, especially in areas with a lot of foot traffic. While evidence of thieves' marks are the opposite. You only spot a handful of them; mostly warnings about guard patrol routes or directions to sewer entrances. That said, you do spot one that's more interesting, in the upper quarter. Largely because it's a mark you don't actually recognise. Which suggests it's a clan specific marking? You don't really get a good look at it, but you memorise where it was located.

Eventually, after many hours of "sight-seeing", you return to the inn....to find it in utter chaos. What can only be described as a hoard of angry patrons are congregated in the main tavern area, bickering vocally with each other and the two poor guards trying desperately to keep the peace.

The barmaid, looking very shaken, is talking to a third guard - this one dressed in slightly fancier armour, with a bronze helmet under his arm.

"Erm...excuse me? What seems to be the problem?"

Lucas' queries seem to fall on deaf ears, until one of the disgruntled men turns to him.

"It's a robbery, is what it is! Some slimy bastard ransacked my room! In broad daylight!"
"Mine too!"
"They took my favourite cloak!"

As more of them chime in, Lucas goes pale.

"D-do you mind waiting here for a moment, Mr diMarco?"

Without waiting for an answer, he turns and makes for the stairs.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler