The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am

"All right?" Jax nods to the others and gives them a jovial greeting before plopping himself down into a chair and kicking his feet up on whatever furniture he can reach.

"This is a popular shoe shop! Are you all here for the assistant's job too?"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:26 am

"Yeah." Uragh responds, although almost sounding like a grunt. At least he figures he's not gonna get out of this without introductions of some sorts. "Name's Uragh. Nice to meet you."

His gaze would avert to the older man, hoping to start getting more information as to what this "job" might be.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 am

Veska has to half-jump up onto her chair. She catches herself before scooting back, unsure of how her illusory legs will interact with the chair. So, she kind-of sits awkwardly on the edge of her seat, trying and failing not to look weird.

And like Hell Veska was going to pipe up with her scratchy kobold voice in a room full of strange tall-folk. They see her kind as little more than vermin, there's no telling what they might do if they found her out. The short-folk tend to give kobolds a little more respect, since they see them at eye level, but in their case they usually see kobolds as 'monsters' rather than 'vermin'.

In any case, if these tall-folk want an introduction out of Veska, then they can stuff it. She'll let this old man introduce her if he's so inclined.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am

If there's something odd about the halfling, Jax can't place it...

Investigation: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:35 am

Kytiel may have a suspicion that the "halfling" is using illusion to mask their appearance.

Investigation: Weird Halfling?: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:21 am

Kytiel, Uragh, Jax, and Veska

Uragh and Jax share some brief words, while Veska eases herself into a chair and is very careful not to open her mouth. Unfortunately, both of the humans seem to realise something is up, and are taking a closer look at her...

Jax
► Show Spoiler
Kytiel
► Show Spoiler
Also, the old man isn't up here yet. He's still downstairs, presumably waiting for the last member to arrive (hint-hint Theis :P ).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:28 am

Jax shrugs and looks around at the others instead, taking in their appearances.

Insight: 1D20+9 = [5]+9 = 14

When he's done with that, he'll look around the room at their surrounding and any alternative escape routes should this meeting go south...

Perception: 1D20+6 = [1]+6 = 7

But he's nothing if not confident in his abilities to talk his way out of anything that might arise, and isn't paying nearly as much attention as he usually does.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Vatro will stumble around on the unknown street trying to figure out where the shop is. He clearly took a wrong turn or two before he was able to find it.
He stumbles inside, take a pause as he steadies himself on the door for a moment before slamming it shut and stumble over to the counter to ring the bell even if the guy is there and attentive.

"I don't shuppose you got an assistant job for me or shome such thing?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Vatro

Stumbling into the shop, you're met with a rather bewildered looking old man.

"I don't shuppose you got an assistant job for me or shome such thing?"

"Uhh...yes, yes, that's right. We've been waiting for you....follow me, follow me."

Hobbling over to the front door, the old man locks it, pulls down the blinds, and flips the open/closed sign to closed. He then leads the way upstairs, taking you into a room filled with a strange group of people - two humans, a half-orc, and a halfling.

Everyone

As the last to arrive - an elf of some kind - slumps himself into a chair, the old man beams at everyone cheerily.

"Right! Now that everyone's here, let's get started!"

"First, introductions! The name's Jerry, Jerry McAdams. And this is my shop! Course, cobbling ain't all I do, otherwise you lot wouldn't be here, eh? No, I'm also something of a...a middle-man, I s'pose. Handle the handover of things - information, mostly - for the big bossman. I'm 'fraid you won't be meeting him, but don't worry - I'll be able to let him know if you got any questions or what have you. Anyway, onto business!"

Reaching into a stack of papers, Jerry pulls out and unfurls a great piece of parchment that covers the entire table's surface. It takes you a couple of seconds to recognise it as a map - a map of Farawlen. Leaning over, Jerry studies it for a moment, then jabs a finger at one particularly large building in the Upper Quarter.

"For those'a you who don't know, this here is Arandale Bank. Largest bank in Farawlen, and used by pretty much every family what means something Up Top. Main one being them Carmichaels, of course. Now, my boss has reason to believe they're holding some...special items in there. Magic items. And expensive ones at that. We don't know how many they've got, or even what they are, exactly. All we know is the Carmichael's will probably be selling them on, and soonish."

"Now, you've all been picked because you've got skills that make ya useful in, err....less legitimate matters, you understand? The job, should you choose to accept it, will be to get those items out of Arandale. Don't care how you do it - quiet, loud, whatever - just as long as you get them to us. Preferably without dragging the whole city watch down on our heads, of course."

"Your pay will be 10% of the value of the goods, each. Now sure, that ain't too much if you don't even know what you'll be nicking. But that said, Arandale is a bank. So anything else you nab from there on top of the magic stuff, feel free to split it amongst yourselves. Should be a healthy amount of gold n' jewels, knowing those noble-folk."

"So, any questions?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 pm

"I have a few... But first let's cut the bullshit. You don't hire a gang to rob a bank without having any idea what you're targeting unless you're just looking to screw someone. So talk. What have you heard about the contents of that vault? And who are we stealing it from?

((If you need a roll, my persuasion and intimidation modifiers are the same (and high, thankfully!)):
Persuasion or Intimidation: 1D20+11 = [1]+11 = 12

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Everyone

"I have a few... But first let's cut the bullshit. You don't hire a gang to rob a bank without having any idea what you're targeting unless you're just looking to screw someone. So talk. What have you heard about the contents of that vault? And who are we stealing it from?

"Well I already said who - the Carmichaels. I get that you're new to town, but they're basically the closest this city has to a royal family. Half the Guardsmen are in their pocket, probably including Chief Roberts if the rumours are true."

"As for what's in there...your guess is as good as ours, to be honest. The Carmichaels have always been secretive, but they've put a lockdown on any real information about this stuff. Best our informant could get is that there's about...let's say half-a-dozen high-level magic items. Could be weapons, armour, or almost anything. Only thing we can know for sure is they'll be in the most well-guarded part of their personal vault, and are valuable enough to recruit a small army.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:42 pm

"You just said they used the bank, not that we were being asked to rob them. But no matter. Why are we targeting them? Is this just greed on your employer's part, or is there bad blood between him and the Carmichaels?

I like money well enough you understand, but I also like being alive when it comes time to spend it."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:46 pm

"I am accustomed to a more well defined contract as well. Procuring some amount of maybe magic items is a touch vague."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Everyone

"You just said they used the bank, not that we were being asked to rob them. But no matter. Why are we targeting them? Is this just greed on your employer's part, or is there bad blood between him and the Carmichaels?"

"I like money well enough you understand, but I also like being alive when it comes time to spend it."

"Heh, fair enough kid. Can't say for sure, but far as I'm aware this is just a crime of opportunity. The Bossman is used to fencing expensive items like this, but this is the first time he's ever put together a team himself. Usually we just play the middlemen, let people bring stuff to us."

"Near as we can tell, Carmichael is planning on selling these things on to some elves from over the pond. Probably for influence more than money. The boss just figured he'd be able to get a better price for them, is all..."

"I am accustomed to a more well defined contract as well. Procuring some amount of maybe magic items is a touch vague."

"Yeah well, afraid that's all your getting. Which is why you've got free reign of the rest of the stuff in those vaults. Worst case, if the intel is wrong and there ain't anything more magical than a teaspoon in there, you still get away with as much gold as you can carry."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Urogh considers for a moment, before he begins speaking.

"Yeah. Two questions. No... Three. What can you already tell us about the vault? Things as blueprints, patrol routes, secret passages, points of contact?"

"Two... Once we get our haul. Where are we expected to deliver? Is there anywhere we can go underground?"

"And my final question... It's not for you exactly, but for my partners in crime. We've to make plans after all, and for that we'd best share what we can do, and what we think we should do."

"Personally, a clean job is the perfect job. Ideally, we get in and out without anyone having known we're there. But when we do inevitably fuck up... I'll be your guy to take out anyone in our path."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Jax looks over Urogh and nods.

"So how soon is "soon" for the sale. With so little information, this is going to take some time to set up. We can't just waltz into the vaults after all.

And we'll be needing safe houses. More than one."

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Everyone

"Yeah. Two questions. No... Three. What can you already tell us about the vault? Things as blueprints, patrol routes, secret passages, points of contact?"

"Two... Once we get our haul. Where are we expected to deliver? Is there anywhere we can go underground?"

"Well, the vaults themselves are all underground, as far as we can tell. And the Carmichael Vault is the biggest - and most heavily guarded - by far. We were hoping to have some blueprints for you, but that fell through - seems like someone wiped most of the construction records, probably using a fair bit of coin. But good news is, we reckon they missed one! The Office for Public Sanitation should still have a plumbing blueprint for the bank. Should show enough of the layout for you to work with, at least. We can probably get our hands on it for you, but probably faster to just get it yourselves if you can."

"Patrol routes you'll have to go straight to the Guardsmen for. They hire out a handful of guards to the bank every day and night, on a rotation. Luckily they're doing recruitment this week, so a new face or two hanging around the Guardhouse shouldn't raise too many eyebrows."

"Drop point we still need to work out the details on, but it should be somewhere on the northern Harbour. So make sure your escape route gets you out around there."

"So how soon is "soon" for the sale. With so little information, this is going to take some time to set up. We can't just waltz into the vaults after all."

"And we'll be needing safe houses. More than one."

"We reckon you've got at least a week, probably closer to two. And thanks for reminding me! I got the details on your safehouse right..."

Pausing to shuffle through some more papers, Jerry eventually pulls out what looks like a letter? Plus some other pieces of paper.

"...here! Right, so, basic cover-story is that one of you - the human probably - is the nephew of one "Jakson Barnabus". Sadly, poor old Barnabus died of a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. However, he left the deed to his house to his dear nephew from out of town. So you've come to Farawlen to see what state the house is in, and to consider whether you wanna sell it. The rest of you can be family friends renting a room, servants, or whatever you want to be. Except for the half-orc. You're too well known for that to work, so we've set up a contract saying you're a bodyguard for the human. Should be enough to prevent any prying eyes."

"If you ever think that safehouse has been compromised, we've got another address you can go to and lay low at. Don't go there unless you absolutely have to though. And you can always just come here if you need anything else. I'll be happy to lend a hand!"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:24 pm

"That works. Suppose I'm not exactly unknown to do the odd menial job if there's cash involved."

"So, we already got two jobs. Someone's got to go nick those blueprints, and perhaps one of us should infiltrate the guardsmen... Second thing might be something I could pull off."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:34 pm

"What do you mean he's well-known? I intend to play my part as a legitimate member of the upper classes, but I wouldn't want to create any unnecessary suspicion before we get started.

All right. Last question- what's our expenses like? Well undoubtedly need to procure certain objects and services toq prepare and a spot of gold goes a long way towards making sure the right people look the other way when it matters."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Kytiel sweeps a hand across his face and his aspect shifts, and suddenly there is a burly, scowling fellow in a guardsman uniform standing in his place. "I may be able to assist in that front as well."

He passes his hand across his face again, and resumes his original appearance, giving the 'halfling' a knowing smile.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Tarquin had been light on the details about this job. Veska had come here not knowing much of anything, other than it would pay well. So this was some kinda great big robbery she was gonna be a part of, huh? She was picked along with these tall-folk, and they were all going to be partners-in-crime? That was somewhat reassuring. Odds were low that they'd straight-up try to kill her, since she's not competition. Still, Veska is what she is, and she's not sure if that will sit well with her associates.

Veska decides to take things slow. She heard something about plumbing? "If ya wanna go under the bank, yer gonna have to deal with the sewer packs to the north," Veska finally opens up, trying her best to stifle her raspiness. "They're real wary o' lettin' you tall-folk run 'round their turf, 'specially if yer gonna cause trouble over top of 'em. I could get us through though, and it'd still prolly be easier than gettin' in topside."

The little hobbit shifts uncomfortably in her chair, glancing between the people in the room (including that guy giving her creepy looks) and any potential exits should things suddenly go south.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:12 pm

"I'm known as a bit of a troublemaker, I suppose. But I've kept any of the actual illegal stuff I've done either well secret, or just made sure there was no one left to tell." Uragh states, matter of factly.

"If anything, I expect it to work to our benefit, or otherwise I doubt this employer would even have called me in... I can take care of some of the grunt work without arousing suspicion, because they'll think I'm up to some menial thing, not something as... Grandiose as this."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Jax raises an eyebrow at Kytiel. This was going to be interesting.

"Nice trick. I want bother wasting the effort now, but I can do something quite similar if I need to. There's more to disguising yerself than putting on a pretty face though. Yes uniform is too good fer a start. Look like that and everyone'll assume yer a new hire and waste yer time taking the piss out of you. But it's easy enough to show you how to fix it...

The sewers might well work... But not for me. I prefer to simply talk people into what I want."

He glances at their host.

"Well, tell me more about this dead uncle of mine. I'll need to know everything you do about this man and his affairs. I don't like surprises."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Kytiel smiles amusedly at the fellow offering to give tips... making sure to commit his face to memory for later.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:...making sure to commit his face to memory for later.
:lol: This game IS going to be fun!