thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Veska swims on, keeping a sharp eye out despite the darkness. It shouldn't be too difficult for Kytiel to follow her, either, as the water subtly parts in her wake.

Stealth and Perception (Natural Explorer) following running water:
1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
2D20.LOW(1)+6 = [17, 19]+6 = 23

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:16 pm

((Kytiel is following on ceiling/wall. Pact weapon longsword and shield equipped.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Hmm a bed might be nice on the run, but might as well steal it from the mansion or that guys room.
Vatro will take a walk along the hall to see ifvhe can find the targets room.

Vatro investigation: 1D20 = [16] = 16
Vatro perception: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

Not sure if I would have time to cast guidance before either rolls so here's a seperate roll just in case
Vatro guidance bonus: 1D4 = [1] = 1
1D4 = [1] = 1
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:27 am

Veska and Kytiel

Swimming over to the cave entrance, Veska clambers up and peers inside. The water is only a foot deep here, flowing down into the darkness. And at first, the tunnel looks deserted. But then Veska notices something rather peculiar. If she didn't know any better, she could almost swear that a large patch of water was flowing back up towards her, against the current.

But that's not possible...right?

Meanwhile, Kytiel observes from above. He sees Veska approach the cave, but nothing past the entrance.

Jax

Despite losing control of the tour almost entirely, Jax somehow manages to steer the conversation onto topics with useful information.

For example, he learns that the Garrison and City Guard are funded from a municipal fund, making them a neutral party amongst the various guilds and noble families. In theory, at least. In practice, the larger donors usually had the most influence. Originally, individual guild militias protected the city - but then a series of orcish raids highlighted the need for a unified defensive force. The walls were built using the same fund, explaining the rapid construction and development of the city's defences.

In terms of the city's foundation, apparently the rock underfoot is quite porous, with many natural caverns and subterranean rivers. This accelerated the city's growth massively, being both an easy source of fresh water and a starting point for construction of the modern sewer system.

Rumours say burrowing monsters were enslaved and used to speed up digging, but Lucas thinks that's just a fanciful fairytale.

Vatro

Leaving his room un-ransacked (for now), Vatro goes looking for another room to ransack. He caught a brief glimpse of a room number on that ledger downstairs, and when checking out the possible candidates he notices a subtle mark on the doorframe of one of them. While not fluent in Thieves' Cant, he gets the meaning pretty easily.

Assuming Jax was the one to leave it there, of course.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

Veska knows for damned sure what that is, remembering the Crawler in the water from yesterday, and it's gonna be in for a nasty surprise. She draws her shortswords and incants a Hunter's Mark on the shape before diving straight in, blades forward!

3 shortsword attacks on shape in water:
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [20, 5]+7 = 27
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [19, 5]+7 = 26
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [11, 6]+7 = 18

3 shortsword attacks on shape in water damage + 1 crit:
4D6+4 = [4, 5, 5, 6]+4 = 24
2D6+4 = [4, 6]+4 = 14
2D6+4+1D8 = [3, 5]+4+[1] = 13

(51 total)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:05 pm

(("She's still invisible.". So does Kytiel know she's on the attack?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:49 am

Veska and Kytiel

Acting on instinct, Veska draws her swords and dives into the tunnel. The water goes up to her waist, but the magic of her gloves stops it slowing her down. Charging at the suspicious patch of water, she unleashes a flurry of blows, and hits....nothing? Her blades slash through the water, but don't seem to connect with anything solid.

Then the water reacts.

Veska stands and watches as the water rises up on its own, taking on a roughly humanoid shape. But bigger. It could probably be mistaken for a strange wave - were it not for the faint outline of a face, made of a constantly shifting froth and spray, glaring straight down at her.

It looks angry.

Veska (24)
Kytiel (18)
Water? (17), Injured?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:07 am

That's not a Crawler! Are there magic monsters hiding under the sewer, too??

No time to think about that now! Veska's clearly pissed this thing off, and she doubts she can outswim water. Instead she wades in with her swords and keeps trying to stab whatever this thing is!

3 shortsword attacks on water creature:
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [15, 15]+7 = 22
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [5, 20]+7 = 27
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [17, 17]+7 = 24

3 shortsword attacks on water creature damage + 1 crit:
2D6+4 = [5, 3]+4 = 12
4D6+4 = [2, 6, 3, 1]+4 = 16
2D6+4 = [5, 5]+4 = 14

(42 damage normally, but if this is what I think it is, then it probably has blindsight. :paranoia: )

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 am

Veska and Kytiel

Keeping up the attack, Veska swings a few more times at the water-thing. Her swords do connect, spraying water through the air, but it's hard to tell how effective they are. She is literally trying to cut water, after all.

Veska (24)
Kytiel (18)
Water? (17), Injured?
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:02 am

Kytiel will move closer, is he able to get to where he can see any of what is going on? He'd join the fight if he can reach the thing this turn, hanging from the ceiling to strike, if possible.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 am

You can get to the tunnel entrance with 30ft of movement, and from there you'd see the strange water creature about 20ft further in.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:09 pm

He'll move towards the entrance then, and hold his action to attack if it comes into range.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Uragh finds himself thinking while travelling... Thinking perhaps, admittedly, not his best skill though he was by no means dumb. This wasn't the ideal situation... The captain being there meant he likely had a contract with the Borgonis, which wouldn't help with his original plan... If anything, it'd risk him getting in trouble with them, which was... To be avoided.

Still, it could work, though he'd rather not go there if it can be avoided... Instead, he's looking to head out towards the ship itself- There's likely still someone around, so he tries to appear... "Obvious". He wants to be noticed, with enough attention he knows that something is up... But being too obvious about it to have any bad intentions.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 pm

Vatro will cast guidance on himself, which is just adding to the overkill of his skills, before he instantly unlocks the door and sneaks in. He'll then take a look around in the room, very badly..

Vatro thieves tools: 1D20+7+1D4 = [19]+7+[3] = 29
Vatro perception: 1D20+6+1D4 = [4]+6+[2] = 12
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:55 am

Veska and Kytiel

Kytiel descends to see what the fuss is all about. He sees a column of water fighting an invisible Kobold. Huh, neat.

As he watches, the water surges forward, threatening to overwhelm Veska!

((Veska: make a STR Saving Throw))

Veska (24)
Kytiel (18)
Water? (17), Injured?

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:44 am

Strength Save against water creature: 1D20+2 = [17]+2 = 19

Despite her small size and meager strength, Veska manages to fight against the current and keep her footing!

Veska steps around the water monster, trying her best to stab into whatever purchase she can find! Hopefully this is working??

3 shortsword attacks on water creature again:
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [15, 20]+7 = 27
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [5, 12]+7 = 19
2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [5, 18]+7 = 25

3 shortsword attacks on water creature again damage + 1 crit:
4D6+4 = [5, 5, 5, 6]+4 = 25
2D6+4 = [6, 6]+4 = 16
2D6+4 = [1, 3]+4 = 8

(49 damage total!)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

((That kobo ... er... halfling, does a ridiculous amount of damage (if it is taking any of this...)! Though that advantage from wherever you're getting it is a big part, since neither crit would have been on its own.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 pm

((If Kytiel is within 5 feet of the water thing, he gets ADV from pack tactics. NVM, just saw the OOC. Query below still stands though.

I don't understand why the shortsword damage has been doubled though. Regular shortswords are 1d6 damage, not 2d6))

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:00 am

Veska and Kytiel

As the water surges forward, Veska feels a current trying to drag her in. Fighting back, she stumbles out of its clutches before it can overwhelm her, before hitting back with some more sword swipes. Her blows do seem to be having some kind of effect, but the creature is withstanding them better than anything else she's ever fought!

Veska (24)
Kytiel (18), 20ft away
Water? (17), Injured?

Uragh

Figuring that the Borgoni connection might be a bit of a problem, Uragh returns to the Dawn Strider. Dropping all attempts at subtlety, he openly watches the ship. There seem to be a couple of sailors still on-board, and eventually one of them notices him - the woman leaning over the edge of the boat and shouting down.

"Oi! No loit'ring. Piss off, greenskin!"

Vatro

The simple lock is no match for Vatro's skills, popping open almost instantly. Slipping inside, he swings the door shut and takes a look around. Sadly, Vatro is then hit by a sudden case of blindness doesn't immediately spot anything useful. There's a book on the bedside table, a half-empty travellers pack, and a cloak hung up on the wall.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 am

"Greenskin?!" Uragh calls back up, for a moment perhaps giving the impression that he's offended... Although what he follows up with implies otherwise.

"This your first day on the job or you just the spitting bucket for the crew with that kind of pale insult?! Thought a proper sailor would know better! Now my old first mate, little prick he was, at least he knew some proper ones! Used to complement me on my looks... Said it was really impressive I managed to be so ugly by orc standards I passed as a halfie! Asked if I ended up on board being fished up from a basket in the ocean!"

"But fine, if ya want me gone, I'll be on my way! Might have something you find useful, though..." he says, his voice softening just a bit as he appears to give a quick glance around. "But it's not the kind of thing I'd be shouting up and down from here."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am

Kytiel scampers along the ceiling, calling out in ringing tones as he casts hex on it. By passing the strange halfling sized space his eyes can't penetrate, his summoned blade strikes down twice at the creature.

Longsword pact weapon: 1D20+8 = [7]+8 = 15
1D8+1D6+5 = [8]+[6]+5 = 19 damage if 15 hits
1D20+8 = [9]+8 = 17
1D8+1D6+5 = [8]+[2]+5 = 15 damage if 17 hits

(Weapon is magical of course, if that matters.)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Veska and Kytiel

Finally entering the fight himself, Kytiel charges in and swings at the water from above. As his blade connects, despite the individual hits being visibly weaker than Veska's whirlwind, the water reacts violently to it - frothing and recoiling from the glowing blade.

At this point, both of you can clearly see that the water creature is quite badly hurt. It seems to struggle to hold itself together, its form constantly and chaotically shifting. And it appears to understand it's not faring too well either. With both of you baring down on it, the creature forms into a giant wave, rushing away back down the tunnel river it came up. In seconds its already out of sight, disappearing around a bend 50ft away.

Veska (24)
Kytiel (18)
Water? (17), Badly injured, >50ft away
► Show Spoiler
Uragh

The sailor is a bit taken aback by your response, but then gives a toothy grin of her own.

"Aye, you're a roight ugly son'fa'bitch, ain't ya! Alroight then. Gimme a reason not t'ave the boys here see you off!"

((Roll Persuasion))

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm

It's running? That makes this thing smarter than any of the sewer monsters Veska fought yesterday. Maybe it's going for help?

Not if Veska has anything to say about it. She attempts to keep pace with the creature, her magic gloves letting her glide through the water as she Dashes 60 feet after it! If she can't catch up, hopefully there's a straightaway long enough for her to get a clear shot on it with her shortbow...?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:11 pm

"Speak for ya self! Betcha they had no issues letting you on board cuz even bad luck doesn't want to follow a mug like that!" Uragh yells back, flashing a bit of a grin. This was just a bit of... "Friendly seafaring banter", after all. Then again, it's notoriously hard to differ when you're just sharing some friendly words, or when you're two seconds away from starting a bar brawl...

"As for your question..." he says, flashing a couple gold coins. "Just something potentially mutually beneficial." he adds, making sure he's not too loud.

Persuasion: 1D20 = [15] = 15

"You wanna let me up so we can parley..? Worst case scenario, I'll have the chance to waste a couple minutes of your time sharing a seafarer's love in person before you'll get to regret never seeing this lovely mug of mine again."

(A "seafarers love", of course, refers to more insults. :P)