The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 am

Kytiel continues to play the grieving nephew in the shadow of his more gregarious friend, refilling wine as needed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11262

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 pm

"Sure." Uragh replies with a nod, for now looking to simply play as he puts down the blind. For now simply quiet, listening to see if they've perhaps have anything interesting to say... If not, might as well stick true to his words and have some fun before he goes sleep.

Playing cards: 1D20 = [12] = 12

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 pm

((In the previous post, "arcana" = "arcanist". Stupid autocorrect...))

"In a manner of speaking, yes! He's been a resident of Farawlen since it was just a little trading town. As far as we know, of course - records from back then are a little...sparse, to say the least. I was hoping to speak to him at the Ball, hear some first-hand accounts of how region's history. There aren't many left alive who would know what he does, so an opportunity like this was simply to good to pass up!"

"Fascinating! I have heard a great deal about the balls the Carmichaels throw! Being on the guest list is quite a privilege; I confess I am a little jealous!"

Jax laughs and gives the man a friendly, gentle clap on the shoulder, making it quite clear that he doesn't actually harbor any bad feelings about not being invited. As he moves to top up everyone's wine glasses (and while his back is to Lucas), he is sure to give Kytiel a pointed look and a tiny wink.

Turning back to Lucas, he continues encouraging the man to talk and drink more, making sure to pour Lucas a far more generous glass than for either himself or Kytiel.

"This man Horith sounds like an incredible font of knowledge! I can only imagine what it must be like to watch entire civilisations of our short-lived races rise and fall over the centuries. Would you tell me more of this city's history? Being new to town, I would love to learn more of the place and its history, and you seem like you know a great deal!"

Jax watches Lucas talk, using the conversation as an opportunity to pay attention to any potential identifying marks or jewelery, as well as his mannerisms and such, in case he might turn out to be a useful disguise in the future.

Perception: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18
Insight: 1D20+9 = [14]+9 = 23

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6378

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 am

"If you know a good way to get through, let's take that then. Otherwise we could fake a delivery of alchemist equipment, got some in my bag."

Vatro will follow Veska to the sewers
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7077
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 am

Kytiel and Jax

"Fascinating! I have heard a great deal about the balls the Carmichaels throw! Being on the guest list is quite a privilege; I confess I am a little jealous!"

"Oh well, I must confess that my own invitation was something of a stroke of good luck. Or bad luck, depending on your point of view. It was intended for my master, you see - Professor Armistine. Unfortunately he's been taken rather ill recently, and isn't much fit for travelling. So, he decided to send me in his place!"

"This man Horith sounds like an incredible font of knowledge! I can only imagine what it must be like to watch entire civilisations of our short-lived races rise and fall over the centuries. Would you tell me more of this city's history? Being new to town, I would love to learn more of the place and its history, and you seem like you know a great deal!"

"Of course! I would love to."

"Let's see...I suppose the most interesting aspect of the city is it's relatively young age. Most of the Dwarven or Elvish cities of this size have been around for millennia, much like their people. Human cities aren't much different - my home town, Morcastle, is well over a thousand years old now. But Farawlen has been around for barely 400 years! And it wasn't even regarded as a proper city until 200 years ago. Most people consider families like the Carmichael's to be the main reason for such rapid growth. They recognised the trade advantages of a coastal town this far from Orcish territory, and funnelled money into construction and renovation projects. Once the Merchant's Guild moved in, the city's population effectively ballooned into what it is now. The walls themselves are surprisingly recent, only built in the last 100 or so years as a deterrent to Orcish raiding parties. Not that many bother to venture this far south."

"Sorry for rambling so much. Did I mention that I'm a student of history?"


As Lucas downs his wine and chatters away, Jax watches him carefully. He's seen this type of person many times before - young, intelligent, and eager to explore, but with a naivety that comes from a lack of worldly experience. Copying his mannerisms shouldn't be hard at all. And his only real identifying marks are his reading glasses, tied to a thin cord around his neck so that he won't lose them. The rest of his clothes seem like the generic outfit of a scholar, neat and well-made, but designed more for libraries than long distance travel.

Uragh

Settling into your chair, you let the others take the lead in the game and conversation. Not that there's much talking going on, the travellers seeming much more interested in their cards. And while you don't play too badly, it looks like these lot have had much more practice than you - knowing exactly when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

By the time the first few rounds are over, you've lost 1sp and 4cp. On the bright side though, your terrible luck seems to have put the other players at ease. Maybe they thought you were trying to scam them?

The dwarf is the first one to pipe up, the combination of ale and money putting him in a very good mood.

"So, what's yer story, eh? Gotta be honest kid, yer kind ain't welcome in a lot o' places, are they?"

Veska and Vatro

Deciding that the main gate is too risky, Veska leads the way down into the sewers. She quickly finds the right tunnel, taking Vatro to a broken grate that he barely manages to squeeze through, even with his elvish grace.

Once back on the surface, the pair of you make your way through the darkening streets, avoiding contact with people wherever possible. By the time you make it to your target, night has fallen - the only light left coming from either the crescent moon peeking through the clouds, or the occasional torch-carrying guard patrol.

Veska also feels her Disguise Self spell beginning to slip, the magic holding it together reaching its end.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11262

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 am

Uragh is still not very happy about losing, though... A mild scowl plastered on his face as he continues losing. Or is that just a "default" facial expression for an orc? In each case, as the dwarf pipes up, he deems fit to answer.

"Got sold when I was young. Never really knew my parents, just kind of... Moved around a bunch. Eventually, teenage years, ended up working on a pirate ship. Moved up the ranks with age. Eventually got tired of it all and rigged the whole thing to blow." he spoke, matter of factly, in a tone that'd make it hard to figure out whether he was actually being serious, or just acting "tough", or at the very least was not being completely truthful. In each case, he continued...

"Retired here to the city, just been helping out at the docks... Help unload heavy stuff. Occasionally help park a boat. Simple stuff. Enough to live for."

"Starting today, though, got a guy upstairs that needs protection and guide for a week or so, at least... Pays damn good money for what he's asking. To the point I can probably ignore him being kind of... Pretentious. So-" he says, heaving up his glass. "To people with more money than common sense."

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5176

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 am

Ahh, how the darkness brings sweet relief.

"Wait a sec, gotta put on a different face." And Veska does just that, incanting and replacing her previous disguise with a new one, going with a halfling look that's more thin-faced and blonde. "Awright, now to see if they got any Alarm spells," Veska mutters, pulling out her expensive scroll and going through the motions to cast it. She can't read a lick of it, but she's cast the spell before. One of these days she'll have to commit it to memory....

Having done that, she'll look over the office building to see if there's any magic lingering around over any of the entrances Vatro spotted.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 15, 2018 10:45 am

Kytiel nods along encouragingly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm

"Yes, the merchants guilds can do wonders for a young town! Wasn't your uncle a member, Barny?

That is quite a fascinating history! Tell me, would you be interested in showing me around? It would be quite enjoyable to have such a knowledgeable tour guide! Not tomorrow of course, but perhaps the day after? Where will you be are staying in town?"

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 15, 2018 7:57 pm

"Yes, yes he was. Proud member his whole life.", Kytiel raises a glass in remembrance.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7077
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 am

Kytiel and Jax

"Yes, the merchants guilds can do wonders for a young town! Wasn't your uncle a member, Barny?"

"Yes, yes he was. Proud member his whole life."

"That is quite a fascinating history! Tell me, would you be interested in showing me around? It would be quite enjoyable to have such a knowledgeable tour guide! Not tomorrow of course, but perhaps the day after? Where will you be are staying in town?"

"Oh, I don't know about that. Most of what I know is just from books, or word of mouth. Surely you can find someone better equipped to give you a proper tour, no?"

Though he's doing his best to wave off the flattery, it's obvious he's not used to such praises.

((Roll Persuasion, please))

Uragh

"Got sold when I was young. Never really knew my parents, just kind of... Moved around a bunch. Eventually, teenage years, ended up working on a pirate ship. Moved up the ranks with age. Eventually got tired of it all and rigged the whole thing to blow. Retired here to the city, just been helping out at the docks... Help unload heavy stuff. Occasionally help park a boat. Simple stuff. Enough to live for."

"Starting today, though, got a guy upstairs that needs protection and guide for a week or so, at least... Pays damn good money for what he's asking. To the point I can probably ignore him being kind of... Pretentious. So- To people with more money than common sense."

The group don't seem too perturbed by your story, no doubt having plenty of shady history themselves. They join in with the toast eagerly, the dwarf downing his drink with vigour.

"Can't say I'm much a fan o' pirates, but can't blame ya' fer fallin' in with 'em either. Hard to make the right choices when yer just a wee kid. 'specially fer your lot."

"Yeah! Good on you for showing 'em what for, mate."

((Another roll for the Poker game, if you want to keep playing))

Veska and Vatro

After refreshing her Disguise, Veska pulls out her pricey scroll and starts casting. Sadly, it doesn't seem like she'll be getting her money's worth - the second-story window and cellar grate are both completely unprotected. In fact, not even the front door seems to have any magic over it.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 16, 2018 9:43 am

((Does Jax get advantage from my help?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5176

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 am

Veska grumbles a bit as she stows away the now-spent scroll. Maybe something inside will have some magical protection, she tells herself, as she maintains her concentration on the Detect Magic spell.

"Looks clear. Ya ready?" Regardless, Veska makes her way to the vines leading up to the second story window, climbing the vines with ease, though perhaps not as stealthily as she had hoped.

Stealth and Athletics (Climbing) to approach Office second-story window:
1D20+7 = [3]+7 = 10
1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23


It was dark, though, so it should still be unlikely she'll be spotted. Even Vatro has a hard time seeing her in this darkness, despite his darkvision.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

((rolled twice in case he gets advantage, but it's at least a 25 either way)):

Persuasion: 1D20+11 = [14]+11 = 25
1D20+11 = [15]+11 = 26

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11262

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed May 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Uragh grins a bit, nodding. Of course, his reasons were more that he didn't like the captain than anything else. And that he actually probably enjoyed the whole pillaging more than one should. And that since then, he's done a couple things one would consider less "honest" than simple dock work...

But of course, he doesn't need to mention that out loud.

"Yeah." he grunts, folding his current, terrible hand while he hopes the next one's better. "What about you guys? Got any interesting life stories?"

Poker game: 1D20 = [15] = 15

User avatar
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!
Posts: 6378

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Theis2 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Vatro will follow Veska up but do so very poorly and grab a scaly vine which he promptly lets go off and presumably falls due to his poor poor skills


Vatro athletics: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
Vatro stealth: 1D20+7 = [13]+7 = 20
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7077
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 am

Kytiel and Jax

Jax doesn't even need to say anything for Lucas' resolve to fail, simple giving him a pointed look and friendly smile.

"...buuuut, I suppose we could always explore the city together! Let me just find the name of that tavern I booked. I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere..."

After scrabbling around in his pockets for a bit, Lucas pulls out a scrap of paper with the address of an inn scrawled on it, "The Elven Minstrel". He copies it onto another note, alongside his name and a time to meet, before handing them to Jax.

Uragh

"Yeah. What about you guys? Got any interesting life stories?"

"Nuttin' as exciting as pirates, that's fer sure. But yeah, I can think of a couple o' good tales..."

Over the next couple of hands, the travellers open up a bit about themselves. Apparently the dwarf - Gorlin - was a bouncer who got bored of life in the mountains and decided to go wandering. He fell in with the older human and his nephew, Jeffers and Ricki, after saving their hides during a bar brawl in some backwater town called Steinback. Since then they've mostly just been moving around doing odd-jobs - they heard the merchant vessels in Farawlen were always looking for cheap labourers, and figured it was a good place to search.

Ricki in particular gets really into the storytelling - helping along by the alcohol, no doubt. So much so that he seemingly forgets about the poker, soon dropping out of the game completely as he loses all his coin. Which is good for Uragh, as you win back some of the money you lost earlier (gain 2sp).

Veska and Vatro

While Veska blends into the darkness and easily scampers up the wall, albeit not as silently as she might've hoped, Vatro quickly realises that the vines aren't quite strong enough to hold him up. He'll either need to find another way up, or another way inside.

At the top of the vines, Veska discovers the window held closed by a surprisingly basic lock. Probably trying to save on building costs.

((Roll Perception along with whatever you want to do))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Fri May 18, 2018 8:43 am

"Wonderful! I shall look forward to it!"

((I can't think of anything else we might want to arrange, so maybe just small talk until it's time to turn in? He will want to wait up with Kytiel until Lucas goes to bed so he can have a quick word))

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5176

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

Veska casts a look down below her. Vatro probably can't see it, but she gets a big smirk on her apparently-halfling face, rolling her eyes as she digs through her things for her lockpicking things. Sometimes these tall-folk were too big and fat for their own good.

"Yeah, hold on. I can throw ya a rope down just as soon as I..."

Perception and Dexterity (Picking Locks) to enter second story window:
1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9


"As soon as I...," Veska mumbles, fiddling with the window lock. "...This'll take a bit. Piss off an' hide 'til I get this. Or just find yer own way in, I don't care- damn it!" She breathes as she fumbles and nearly drops her picks to the ground below. She glances around worriedly, wondering if anybody saw that... before getting back to work. At least she can keep a decently sharp eye out while she's up there, her darkvision being keener than most peoples'.
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11262

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Uragh gives a faint nod. "Dock work won't make you rich, but if you're lucky it can get you a place to live. Depends on how hard you work- Most of em pay for how much work you do, not hourly rate or anything. Couple that with making some of the right friends, and you might even be able to find a place in the common quarters near the docks." he says, being mostly truthful... But continuing onwards as he considers the guy's potential for... Grunt work.

"Still, long, hard days, and things can get tight... Assuming one doesn't mind doing the occasional... Extra task, that is." he suggests, hinting.

Poker game: 1D20 = [15] = 15

Post Reply