The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:03 am

Jax, Kytiel, Vatro, and Uragh

The mid-spring sun blazes down on the city streets, faint wisps of steam rising off stone cobbles as rain from the previous night evaporates. The city-folk are well into their morning routines, rickety carts of construction supplies being wheeled down narrow roads, while wives and maids make their way home from the market with baskets full of fresh fruit and veg.

Following the directions given to you by your respective contacts, you make your way towards the border of the Market and Middle Quarters. Most passers-by barely seem to notice you, caught up in their own little worlds. The notable exception is Uragh, who gets more than a few suspicious glares while crossing Market Bridge - the Guardsmen on duty no doubt thinking he was up to something nefarious.

Technically they were right this time, but still.

Arriving on Trevan Lane, you quickly find your target - McAdams' Cordwainers and Cobblers. The wooden sign hanging above the door is faded, but you can still make out the C&C engraved into it over a stylized shoe. The windows show off a wide variety of footwear, ranging from leather boots to dainty cloth slippers. And through the sturdy door, you pick out the faint evidence of movement within.

Veska

Crouching low behind a stack of crates, Veska watches the local surface-dwellers as they wander past the entrance to her alleyway. It doesn't seem like anybody noticed her climbing out of the nearby sewer grate, probably too focused on their own petty lives to pay attention.

According to Tarquin, the meeting place should be in one of the shops along this street? Assuming she got the right drain...

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13666

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:59 am

Kytiel scans the crowd, looking for any familiar faces/descriptions... or at least others taking an interest in the shoe store, before heading in that direction, keeping his gaze down and moving with the foot traffic.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [12]+1 = 13
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11265

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 am

Uragh shrugs off the stares, not caring much for them. He knows what they're thinking- He's planning something "petty", like usual... With a couple notable exceptions, he's kept his "manners" quite well since adjusting to city life, mostly helping out with heavy labor at the docks. And he didn't mind the renown if people didn't even bother him when he had to bust up someone's face for trying to cheat at cards.

In fact, it was almost perfect... He couldn't help but think to himself, grinning for just a moment. Anyone was going to expect him to do something relatively mundane. Not something big, like it sounded this job ought to be... Good. This ought to be fun.

Staring down the sign for a moment, he gives a brief glance about as to make sure he's not being watched by anyone too important... And for any other lurkers, he spends just a moment looking at his boots and coin purse, before entering.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:49 am

Kytiel

Reaching the shop, you take in your surroundings carefully before going in. But the few people strolling past all seem to be locals, none of them giving you or the shop a second glance.

A bell rings as you step inside. The interior is as cluttered as the windows, shoes piled high on shelves and workbenches. Strips of leather hang from the walls, waiting to be taken down and cut into soles, while a curtained doorway at the back separates the front room from what is presumably the back storage. You don't even dare to think how messy that room must be.

Alerted by the ringing of the bell, a man looks up from behind the counter. He is frail and old, a slight hunchback meaning he stands barely 5ft tall. Thin, wiry glasses perch atop a thin, wiry nose. His sparse, silvery white hair is swept back into a ponytail, doing nothing to hide the bald patch or liver spots on his crown. But despite his meek appearance, a spark of youthful energy resides behind his eyes.

"Ah, welcome, welcome! What can I do for you this fine day, my good man!"

You recall that your contact gave you a passphrase to speak - that you'd "heard there was an assistant's job available"? Or something along those lines.

Uragh

Like Kytiel, you spot nobody paying any attention to the shop. There are a few glances going your way, but not as many as you might expect - Half-Orcs were uncommon this side of the river, but most people seemed to understand that even they needed to come shopping.

Entering the building, you find the shop filled with a mess of half-built shoes....but otherwise empty. A bell sits atop the counter in front of you, and on the far wall is a doorway covered by a thick curtain.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13666

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 am

"Good day sir. I understand you are looking to hire an assistant?", Kytiel inquires with a soft smile.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am

Kytiel

"Good day sir. I understand you are looking to hire an assistant?"

Breaking into an even wider smile, the man waves you towards the curtain.

"Yes, yes, that's right. Follow me, got an office upstairs where we can chat."

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11265

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am

Uragh just let out a little grunt at seeing no one here, becoming a bit wary just in case someone would be stupid enough to try and ambush him. He's ringing the bell- Before counting to ten...

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13666

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:36 am

Kytiel gives him an appraising eye before heading towards the curtain.

Insight?: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:53 am

Kytiel

The man seems unconcerned by your gaze, following you as you head through the curtain. While certainly a bit....odd, he seems genuinely friendly in his actions. Beyond lies a narrow corridor with a few other doors, and a staircase leading up. At the top, another door opens into a surprisingly spacious room - the large table in the centre has obviously been recently cleared, papers pushed onto corner shelves and cabinets. Six chairs surround it, each one empty. The window shutters are open enough to let in some light, but also do a good job of providing privacy.

"Can I get you anything? Think I've got some tea left over from this morning, could stick it on the fire for you. Or a biscuit, perhaps? You kids like biscuits, don'tcha?"

Before you can reply, you hear a ringing coming from below. Cursing, the man hurries out of the room, his feet thumping softly on the carpet.

Uragh

Ringing the bell, Uragh waits grumpily. A couple of seconds later he hears a thump above him, followed closely by a few softer ones coming from behind the curtain.

"Sorry, sorry! Just a minute!"

The man who enters is...small. Compared to you, at least. You think you could probably snap him in half without much effort at all. He blinks in surprise when he sees you, but quickly recovers and nods with a knowing smile.

"Ah, you're here about the job, yes? Please, just this way. One of your....partners is already upstairs."

Assuming you follow him, he leads you to an upstairs room with a large rectangular table. The only other occupant is a human, around your age, with dark hair and a lean physique.

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5177

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

This meeting just had to happen in the middle of the day, didn't it? Veska's stomach turns as she squints through the oppressive sunlight, tail swishing grumpily as she tries to spot this shoe shop she was supposed to be looking for. Mic Attem's Cordoners and Cobbers? Fat lotta good a name does, it's not like Veska can read the signs. Thankfully that gnome, Tarquin, gave her a piece of parchment saying to "look for a sign with this symbol on it." She looks down at the parchment again. C&C, whatever that stands for.

She strains her eyes to see and... there! It was hardly visible from this angle with that blasted sun, but there it is, the shapes of footwear in the window and that faded symbol on the wooden sign above the door.

Veska mutters a short incantation, casting Disguise Self to make her look like one of those halflings, a simple looking girl with dark hair and a doughy face. It wouldn't hold up under close inspection; her spellcasting ability wasn't great, but she could roughly approximate a halfling if she needed to. On Tarquin's advice she'd even picked up a bit of their language, saying that halflings don't write much anyway and it wouldn't be that far-fetched for Veska to impersonate one that flat couldn't.

With her disguise in order, the apparent halfling woman leaves her box-cover behind to cross the street, shielding her eyes from the sun and possessing an odd gait (bunch of straight-legged weirdos these surface-dwellers were). She has to reach up for the handle, but she manages to enter the shop without too much trouble.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:29 am

Veska

You cross the street without any trouble, nobody giving your disguise a second glance. Slipping into the shop, the cool shadows a welcome relief, you take in the hectic interior. It honestly wasn't that different from the sewers, junk piled high in seemingly random patterns. Well, other than the lack of damp. Or rats. Or that rotten stench which seems to follow you everywhere.

A man peers down at you from the counter. His eyes seem surprisingly sharp, but it doesn't look like he's pierced your veil.

"Can I help you, miss....?"

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5177

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am

Veska blinks a few times to readjust her eyes to the darker interior. It's still a bit bright for her liking, but at least it was out of the sun.

Then a guy show up and starts talking to her. Hoo boy, this was the part Veska was dreading, talking to one of these surface-goers. Worse, he seemed to have good eyes, maybe from working on shoes all day?

"Ehm, yeah!" Veska answers up at the man, trying her best to hide that slight draconic rasp in her voice. "I heard ya got an assistant's job? Or somethin'?"
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Jax takes some time to disguise himself in simple, rather scruffy clothes for his walk to the poor side of town. His hair is dyed black and cut short and he sports a rather pathetic mustache and fuzzy beard (which he didn't grow himself). His bright-coloured eyes are always a little too memorable to disguise easily, so he wears a pair of cheap, dark pince-nez glasses to cover them. Donning a pair of loose boots and too-big belt, he sets off to the poor quarter with a skip in his step and an overly-confident swagger, exuberantly greeting any strangers in the street with a laugh and a compliment.

Somewhere en route, he blatantly lifts an apple out of a young woman's basket for a snack, and tossing her a copper and a wink in exchange. He doesn't care if she's annoyed.

Arriving finally at the cobblers, he tosses the apple core aside and walks in, striding up to the desk and past whoever else might already be there. Speaking in a rough accent, he speaks to the staff member:

"I'm 'ere about the job. Heard you was looking fer an assistant."

((What roll do you want for putting the disguise together?))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:56 pm

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm


User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Veska

The man frowns at Veska's rough voice, seemingly suspicious. But when she mentions the job, a flash of realization crosses his face, and he breaks into a friendly smile.

"Oh, Miss Veska! Yes, yes, don't worry, I've been expecting you. The others are just through there, up the stairs. We're still expecting a couple others, so hope you don't mind if I-"

Mid-sentence he finds himself cut off, as a scruffy looking human strides into the shop. Barging past Veska without even looking at her, he addresses the old man directly...

Jax

"I'm 'ere about the job. Heard you was looking fer an assistant."

The old man at the counter takes a couple of seconds to respond, seemingly surprised at your sudden arrival. Probably doesn't help that he was mid-conversation with that strange Halfling. He quickly recovers though, peering at you intently and giving a wry, knowing smile.

"Good timing! I was just telling the little Miss here, you'll want to be going upstairs. Still missing one of you, but I'm sure he'll be turning up soon."

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:35 pm

"Oops! 'pologies, miss! I didn't see you down there! After you!"

Jax watches the shop assistant closely for a moment, trying to get a read on what sort of bloke he seems to be (is he well dressed, twitchy, honest, that kind of thing).

Insight: 1D20+8 = [4]+8 = 12

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11265

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:55 pm

Uragh gives a stern, but friendly nod to the accomplice already there... But otherwise doesn't spare much words, as he sets himself down. The others that enter later get a similar greeting.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13666

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Kytiel returns the curt nod to the new arrival, and similarly greets the others as they arrive, looking them each over in turn.

((If Insight is warranted, do you want multiples?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11265

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Uragh doesn't usually consider himself a good judge of character... He tends to treat people the same way initially. Judge them by their actions, and until you've seen enough of those make a safe judgement... Assume everything that's said could be a lie.

insight: 1D20-1 = [14]-1 = 13

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 am

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12818
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:27 am

Sure:
Deception: 1D20+10 = [11]+10 = 21

Plus 1 for the luck stone! So 22 total

User avatar
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic
Posts: 5177

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by SuperVaderMan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:47 am

Last edited by SuperVaderMan on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 am

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7079
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: The Heist - 5e D&D Game

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:05 am

Kytiel, Uragh, Jax, and Veska

Heading up the stairs, Jax and Veska find two people - a human and a half-orc - sitting around a large table with four empty chairs. Veska is thankful for the shutters on the windows, blocking most of the direct sunlight.

Kytiel
► Show Spoiler

Uragh
► Show Spoiler
Jax
► Show Spoiler
Veska
► Show Spoiler

Post Reply