MotBM (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

MotBM (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Last edited by thinkslogically on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: MotBM (OOC)

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Sorry. Forgot to post that the wizard's background is a Sage.

Dang. You weren't kidding. First entry and we already got some some S&M schmuck with the painting.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Cool, no problem. I've added some extra background questions for you to consider while you flesh out your characters:

* How/why did you get involved in the theft?
* What was your role in the theft?
* During the theft, you considered betraying one of your associates. Why?
* One of your associates surprised you during the theft. What did they do?
* What is your biggest fear?

You'll start with the standard equipment for your class / BG, plus 600 GP to spend on stuff. If you want to buy a magical item, run it past me first please :)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:28 pm

Do you want us to PM you the character info or post here?

PM you the answers to the questions from the above post, I'm assuming?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Yup, go ahead and post the character info here. We can probably build another excel sheet for this game, or you guys can use something like the mythweavers sheets if you prefer, but for now text is fine.

Yeah - PM me the answers to those questions, as well as any extra information you want to keep private from the others.

Once you've got your PCs fleshed out a bit, you're also very welcome to RP a bit in the game thread too while you wait for your contact to show up (and before someone touches the painting) if you want to get a feel for each other before everything kicks off.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:43 pm

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:Sorry. Forgot to post that the wizard's background is a Sage.

Dang. You weren't kidding. First entry and we already got some some S&M schmuck with the painting.
:lol: Yeah... Let me know if the images will be a problem for anyone and I can not post the risque ones :)

NotStickFigures

Character

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:19 pm

Arthumas Clanhold (most everyone but family calls him Art)
Male Mountain Dwarf Guild Artisan
Fighter (Battlemaster) 6th Level Neutral Good
110 years old, 4'6", 130# Brown/Green

STR 18 (15+2Mt Dw+1 4th level)
CON 16 (14+2Mt Dw)
DEX 14 (13+1 4th level)
INT 12
WIS 8
CHR 10

Hit Points 58
AC: 18 Splint Mail, 17 plus +1 from cloak of protection. AC 20 when using his shield.
Speed 25

SAVES +1 to saves from cloak of protection already added in.
Str +8
Dex +3
Con +7
Int +2
Wis -0
Chr +1

Adv on all saves vs poison
resistance to poison damage

Proficient in Smith's Tools and Tinker's tools. (Dwarf skill and guild skill)
Skills: Chose Proficiency in Intimidation/Athletics/Insight/Persuasion
Acrobatics +2
Animal Handling -1
Arcana +1
Athletics +7
Deception 0
History +1
Insight +2
Intimidation +3
Medicine -1
Nature +1
Perception -1
Performance 0
Persuasion +3
Religion +1
Sleight Hand +2
Stealth +2
Survival -1

Speak Common, Dwarf and Halfling
60' darkvision

Fighting styles:
Great Weapon Fighting
BATTLE MASTER:
Maneuvers:
1: Sweeping attack
2: Commander's strike
3: Menacing attack
DC save for maneuvers is 15

Second Wind
Action Surge
Extra Attack

Attacks:
► Show Spoiler
Items:

Splint Mail
Small shield, rarely used, on back.
Longbow
20 arrows
Dungeoneer pack
Great Axe
Maul
Two hand axes
Guild letter
Traveller's Clothes
Trinket/Musical instrument, large kazoo?

Background:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh yeah, Hit Points! So you get Max HP + Con mod at level one.

Then for every level after that, you can choose to take the average of your hit die (which is 30 for you as a fighter) plus 5x your CON mod (+3), or roll 5d10 and add 5x your CON mod.

Take whichever is higher, but please roll all 5 dice at once so you're not picking and choosing which rolls to keep.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 pm

So it's probably easiest to answer the extra questions after everyone's posted their character info, so you have a bit of an idea who they are and stuff.

Ideally what I'm looking for is a series of moments that you guys shared that made you feel more positively or negatively towards someone else in your party, whether it's something you (think you) saw them do or say or whatever. Once I have all the moments accumulated via PM, I'll let you guys know those details that are relevant to your character (but not where they came from) and you can decide what really happened in each scenario. Maybe you looked super suspicious but were actually acting on behalf of the group? Or maybe you actually were trying to screw them over. We'll do all this part by PM so you can all keep your secrets and suspicions >:D

Let me know if you guys have questions :)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Hit Points, Art: 5D10+15 = [2, 4, 1, 7, 10]+15 = 39

Well that was below average, so 13HP first level, then the average, 45 for total of 58.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:04 am

Totally missed the recruitment going on over the holidays... Well if someone drops out let me know! More than willing to use their hard work ;).

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 am

_: 5D6+5 = [5, 5, 5, 4, 6]+5 = 30

Well that was lucky! Even a good roll leaves me super-squishy :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 am

Working on my own character, I think I got the basics figured out. Just need to go through all the spells and such to see what I wanna keep... And also wondering if I should take Lesser restoration over spiritual weapon for one of my life domain spells, so when we inevitably all fall deadly ill in there, I won't regret not taking it. :roll:

Also I've been using NSF's format, and did notice one thing: NSF, you don't add your DEX modifier to heavy armor.

I'll also share my HP roll while I'm at it...

Character HP: 5D8 = [7, 5, 2, 1, 8] = 23 (So... I think the average is 25 and I take that instead?)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 am

Heavy armor doesn't allow you to use your dex modifier. Also you got .5 more hp than the average. Average per die is 4.5 for a d8
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:42 am

I was thinking it was 5 * 5 as 5 would be the "average" for a single 1d8 roll... (As in, what you would take each level if you didn't roll higher, using the homerule.) But I suppose that's also fair enough. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 am

Name: Warryn Garrick
Race: Deep Gnome (+2 INT, +1 DEX)
Class: Lv6 Wizard (School of Illusion)

Description
► Show Spoiler
STR: 8 | Save -1 | Athletics -1
DEX: 16 | Save +3 | Stealth +6, Acrobatics/Sleight of Hand +3
CON: 13 | Save +1
INT: 16 | Save +6 | Arcana +6, Religion/Investigation/History/Nature +3
WIS: 10 | Save +3 | Insight +3, Perception/Animal Handling/Medicine/Survival +0
CHA: 12 | Save +1 | Deception +4, Persuasion/Performance/Intimidation +1

HP: 37/37Hp
AC: 16 (13 + 3 DEX) [Mage Armour]
Speed: 25ft
Prof. Bonus: +3

Languages: Common, Gnomish, Undercommon
Armour Proficiencies: None
Weapon Proficiencies: Daggers, Darts, Slings, Quarterstaffs, Light Crossbows
Tool Proficiencies: Gaming Set (Dice), Thieves Tools
Carrying Capacity: 120lbs

Racial Abilities/Skills:
- Superior Darkvision: 120ft range
- Gnome Cunning: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic.
- Stone Camouflage: You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks to hide in rocky terrain.

Feats:
- Criminal Contact: You have a reliable and trustworthy contact who acts as your liaison to a network of other criminals. You know how to get messages to and from your contact, even over great distances; specifically, you know the local messengers, corrupt caravan masters, and seedy sailors who can deliver messages for you.
- Svirfneblin Magic: You have inherited the innate spellcasting ability of your ancestors. This ability allows you to cast Nondetection on yourself at will, without needing a material component. You can also cast each of the following spells once with this ability: Blindness/Deafness, Blur, and Disguise Self. You regain the ability to cast these spells when you finish a long rest. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- Arcane Recovery: You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
- Improved Minor Illusion: Learn Minor Illusion for free. When you cast Minor Illusion, you can create both a sound and an image with a single casting of the spell.
- Malleable Illusion: When you cast an illusion spell that has a duration of 1 minute or longer, you can use your action to change the nature of that illusion (using the spellÔÇÖs normal parameters for the illusion), provided that you can see the illusion.

Attacks:
► Show Spoiler
Spellbook:
► Show Spoiler
Equipment:
► Show Spoiler
Erik the Fiendish Weasel Familiar:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 am

I'll have to post mine when I get home this afternoon. Still got a firewall to work around.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:10 am

For my starting items, since I don't need any expensive weapons or armour, I've got about 550gp left over. So could I start with an Uncommon magic item?

I was thinking a Bag of Holding would make sense for a thief wizard, especially since I don't have the best carrying capacity. Either that or a Ring of Mind Shielding (though that one's mainly for the RP potential if/when I were to die and someone else picked it up :lol: ).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:16 am

You round to get the average on hit dice because you can't have a fraction of 1hp. So the average on a d8 is 5 for this.

Thanks for noticing the splint mail :) though the shield will add +2 AC whenever you choose to use it.

Dusk - either of those magical items is fine.

When you get a chance, please list out the amount of food and water you each have. We'll be tracking that :)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 am

thinkslogically wrote: Dusk - either of those magical items is fine.
How much would they cost from my 600gp? Recommendation in the DMG is 100-500gp for Uncommon Items.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:38 am

Yeah it's annoyingly vague. Let's go mid range and say 300. That's also about the cost of some armor plus a weapon or two so hopefully it works out!

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 am

...wait, could I spend all 600gp getting both then? :paranoia:

Seriously though, I'll probably just get the Bag and use the other 300gp filling it with useful things. Like food. And healing potions :lol:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:55 am

Dusk, I like your format you did that in...I should have waited and copied from you!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 am

Yeah, I'm a good way along to my own character, but I might just port over to his design first. :shifty:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

M0rtimer wrote:And also wondering if I should take Lesser restoration over spiritual weapon for one of my life domain spells,
You get all of the domain spells, they are considered always prepared for you, so you don't need to choose.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler