MotBM (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: MotBM (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:24 am

Yeah, I know of the ones that list a cost are ones that do explicitly need the item, but I was thinking more about all the "free" somatic components. :) (Although, that does remind me I should go through my spell list and check if there's any spells I want to buy the ingredients for...)

Speaking of which... Which of you wizards is going to get the stuff for identify? :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:31 am

Like I said, your Holy Symbol amulet replaces the "free" ones. Same way Lurk's Wand replaces the need for him. I only chose the Component Pouch for Warryn because he's supposed to be a sneaky wizard - a wand or staff is too obvious for him. But most layman guards who search him aren't going to realise what his little pouch of random ingredients is actually for.

As for Identify, the answer is easy. Obviously, neither of us are going to bother learning it :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:33 am

Ah, so it's going to be another game where we all sorely regret not being able to identify any of the items we find. Gotcha. :roll:

edit: Decided to add the focus for clairvoyance and one use for Ceremony, cuz it sounds fun. Decided to remove a healing potion even though I'd barely have enough gold left to keep it and I doubt we'll be able to use any of the remaining gold but oh well. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 am

Eh, we've got two wizards with high Arcana proficiency. I'm sure we can brute force it! :lol:

Actually, speaking of components, do I need to carry around a brass brazier for recasting Find Familiar? The 10gp of charcoal/herbs is easy, but the brazier part is super-vague.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 am

You got a bag of holding, are you telling me that of all the junk he'll throw in there there WON'T be a random brass brazier? :P

Well, unless the brazier gets used up too. I'm not sure how many different braziers you would keep in there. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:03 am

I was more asking about cost/weight. Or whether a regular fire would work instead. Because yeah, Warryn would totally carry one around if needed :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:32 am

Pretty sure somatic components are hand movements, so that just indicates if a spell can be cast while bound or not :p

As I read it, the brazier as necessary for the burning in the summoning so you would have to carry it around if your familiar is slain and you need to summon it again :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:06 am

Sigh. One more piece of clanking metal, then. :P How much does a brazier cost? I can't look while I'm at work. The firewall is something fierce.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 am

No established price on the brazier, as I recall, up to the DM.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:04 am

Let's say 50gp, and about 5lb weight. It'd be roughly the size of an end table or so, so it's something you might want to leave set up in a safe room or put in the bag of holding (if dusk allows it).

Remember I need your question answers via PM at some point. Now everyone's posted their character info, I'd like you to each decide privately who surprised you etc. I'll then turn it into something that makes sense and pm you back the salient info from the others.

Lurks- I'll take a better look at your sheet in due course but it looks ok at the moment. I would like to know where your guy's soul is though and to whom it was sold.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 am

:chuckle: I'll have to come up with something. That random character generator comes up with the dangdest stuff. I've got some ideas on the questions. As for the brazier, let's just leave it at the inn they were using (presumably). If the cat gets himself scragged, that's his tough luck. Unless Dusk wants to borrow it for his own use?

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 am

I will get the questions done this evening, I have come up with something that I think will work well, but I need to think in through and that's not going to happen at work.

And I will be out of town Fri evening until Tuesday morning and my phone doesn't deal with this website well, so I might not be posting much for those three days.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:34 am

Eh, probably not going to bother with the brazier then. I've only got ~60gp left, and I'd like to save it for copying spells, if I get the chance to at any point.

I'll get the answers in soon too, just going over some ideas now.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 am

Oof, that must be a really nice brazier!

I'll have a look at the other characters and get you responses to the other question by tonight. As well as flesh out Ah'sereen's backstory/description.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:09 am

((someone else made a best guess online and I copied it :) you guys can split the cost of one if you prefer to share? ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am

((I'll admit I didn't research it, but looking back... pretty sure Buckleburry got fleeced by Tess!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am

:lol: Well I'm still assuming it is too big to carry in a pocket easily, so it can live in the cart and be a miniature fire hazard :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 am

I've tweaked the introductory text a tad to fit with some info M0rt sent through. Congratulations! You're now in a dusty, old crypt :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Oh shit, I totally forgot!

Please also choose a trinket of any form and then tell me where you got it and why on earth you still have it.

You can make up anything you like (as long as it's basically worthless), or you can select from one of the many, MANY trinket tables that exist on the internets like these ones:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Trinkets
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feature ... l-trinkets
https://reddicediaries.com/random-thing ... for-dd-5e/
https://reddicediaries.com/random-thing ... for-dd-5e/

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:53 am

Do we need to keep that private as well (For now, at least, since we're obviously bringing it in with us) or simply add it to our inventory?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:44 am

Totally up to you. You can share anything you like with the other players, but you don't have to.

Putting it in your inventory would be helpful so I don't forget what you have, but you can br vague and don't have to explain any of the details if you don't want to.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:09 am

Warryn's trinket is an old storybook that he faintly remembers from his childhood. He thought it lost many decades ago, but it turned up in his Bag of Holding quite recently - presumably after being mixed up with some other books or papers and thrown in there without him noticing. He's not really sure why he's still keeping hold of it, and doesn't even recall what stories it holds. All he knows is that, whenever he looks at the battered cover, he gets a warm feeling of nostalgia.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:14 am

Thank you for all the info so far, I'll run through it all tomorrow and pm you if there's relevant other stuff you need to know.

Feel free to continue talking in the game thread if you want. Touching the painting will trigger the start of the game, so that'll only happen once we've got all the player info set up and ready to roll.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Just decided on my own trinket through a random roll: Aura's trinket is a pair of gloves that seem "unusually warm". She's held on to them because she was originally gifted them shortly after her initial rescue, while giving an off-hand remark that her "hands were cold"... So they carry mostly sentimental value for something she has a hard time putting in proper words herself. Because they're so warm she still doesn't usually wear them, though. (If only because I intend to use her signet ring as a fancy way to cast "light". :roll:)

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Eh, I'll just post mine here as well then. Thinks already has it, but I don't see any reason why everyone couldn't see it. Determined via random roll:

A piece of chocolate that tastes bitter with a sweet aftertaste, it burns your tongue when tasted as well.
It is practical joke gift from his second oldest brother given to him on his 75th birthday. He keeps it for sentimental reasons and...well it's chocolate (even if it's not very good).