Shipwrecked OOC thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Shipwrecked OOC thread

Post by Jacon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Yea. I vote we camp out for a day and see if theirs any changes. If not than I don't think theirs much we can do and we should head back and do another quest. Maybe when were higher level and we wizards can cast dispel magic we can attempt something but for now were just ramming our heads into a wall it seems

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Oh, Theis did let me know that Jasper managed his knowledge roll and noticed the spell that's blocking us off is a modified wall of force. Looking at the spell description for that, we're not gonna be breaking it for quite a while unless we can find a magic item that can do it for us.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Sounds like a plan to me. We can decide where to go in the morning, but a but of exploring would be nice :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 pm

Not trying to be difficult, just don't want to ignore RPing that Felicia is no longer part of the party.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:10 pm

For sure. I'd actually forgotten she'd been NPC'd rather than just dissolved into non-existence :)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:47 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Link to the new char sheet, apparently the whole site went through some changes, and the old one is read only from now on.

I allocated 13 skill points. 5 to move silently, it's 8 now. 4 into spot (zero to 4) and 4 more into survival (from zero, since it's CC, there's only 2 ranks in that as result). Was that - at least according to the rule-set of D&D - correctly done?

I think I still need a feat, but I can't decide on that. For now. I'll look into it soon.
Sorry I might have forgotten to mention that there is a max rank for skills which currently is 6 for class skill and 3 for cross class skills (Also shown in the top right of the skill box) So you put in 2 skill points too many in move silently, but survival is correct as it only have 2 ranks from the skill points :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:49 am

I'm not sure if we talked about that particular feat before, but I remember we talked a little bit about feats in general. I found Combat_Reflexes and it seems very interesting to me. I mean 4! attacks of opportunity extra. Is that something Henry could take (it says per-requisites: none)? Because if he moved silently into position (ideally flanking I suppose?) and then AoOed the crap out of someone, that would make him rather deadly, wouldn't it? *dreams*

Would Ala have a problem with that kind of fighting, btw?

Also, @ Theis, it says here that you can have level +3 as maximum rank in your skills. Is that not correct? I just took it at face value, because I don't know any better.

Also, just because I really don't know it: WHEN would I even get ONE attack of opportunity, btw?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:44 am

I'm trying really hard to keep ala as the sort of paladin who doesn't ruin the game for everyone by being all holier than thou all the damn time.

So no, she wouldn't have a problem with you fighting that way as long as she agreed the target was legit. She wouldn't fight that way herself though, so she's not going to be a deliberate "distraction" to allow you to sneak attack if that makes sense. Honour in combat is important to palladins apparently and that means facing them head on (to me).

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:07 pm

nice. So if Henry were to step behind an enemy that Ala is fighting face to face and stab the crap out of them, Ala wouldn't mind? Or would she, because Henry interfered with her honorable duel with said enemy?
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:17 pm

So level+3 is correct, but you are only level 3 at the moment so that would equal to 6 :P

Attacks of opportunity happens when someone isn't focused on fighting or trying to do a special maneuver they aren't trained to do. This could be someone casting a spell, someone running or moving past you or they try to grab unto you and initiate a grapple. More on it here
So it wouldn't really work if you snuck behind someone and started stabbing. That would however give you a surprise round where only you can act, so you could potentially act twice in a row if you get lucky on your initiative and potentially deal a lot of sneak attack damage.

Also DanDwiki is generally a bad place to go as it is mostly homebrew, but d20srd.org got all the core books and then some. Granted you can always look at the dandwiki and I'll judge it or find something similar in the books :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:30 pm

In my experience, AoO are not all that common, the main time they trigger is when someone is moving out of melee range of an enemy. An enemy standing toe to toe with you isn't going to trigger an AoO, unless you can get it so they don't want to attack you and run away, or someone else is a more tempting target and they move away from you to attack someone else.

AoO are uncommon (~2 total this entire game), having the potential to make more than one in a round is quite rare(~0). I'm not sure how much the flatfooted factors in, I'm not sure we've been caught flatfooted, much less where an AoO would trigger.

In my opinion, it is a highly conditional feat that isn't likely to benefit you often enough to warrant taking it. :shrug:

Again, I'm not real clear on what a spellthief does, either in character or out, but since you have two weapon fighting, it seems you're planning on doing at least some slashing of folks. Have you considered Weapon Finesse? It would seem to compliment the melee side of your build well, since you'd be able to use your DEX +4 on melee attacks instead of your STR +1.

Code: Select all

Weapon Finesse [General]
Prerequisite
Base attack bonus +1.

Benefit
With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.

Special
A fighter may select Weapon Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Natural weapons are always considered light weapons.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:34 pm

I think there might have been more I haven't mentioned but yeah not that many (granted most enemies just went for hitting you)

Flatfooted does not do anything regarding AoO's but it does remove your dex bonus to AC and makes it possible to sneak attack. You loose the flat footed condition when you get your first turn.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Code: Select all

Benefit
You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Normal
A character without this feat can make only one attack of opportunity per round and canÔÇÖt make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.
Yeah, I'm just not sure how often you would end up being both flat footed and the opportunity to make and AoO. Rarely, I would imagine... like you open a closet door and someone runs past you...? If the group is startled, they wouldn't make an AoO, but a character with Combat Reflexes wold be able to get a hit in as the naked man runs past (it's always naked men that burst out of closets).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:46 pm

Sorry misunderstood the flatfooted part as I've never really realised that combat reflexes allows you to do that as well xD

I also need to include more closets in my game.

But Spider is right, it's mostly conditional (unless you have a long range melee weapon or some other way to force people to provoke attacks of opportunity. Like the chain orc had that is more viable with a straight up fighter though)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

You know what have closets? TAVERNS. :meh:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Technically you were in a tavern like establishment in the orc city. It was larger than a normal tavern and was called the great hall and you got 2 orcs to leave in anger from there :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:nice. So if Henry were to step behind an enemy that Ala is fighting face to face and stab the crap out of them, Ala wouldn't mind? Or would she, because Henry interfered with her honorable duel with said enemy?
Depends on the circumstances. If it was a declared 1 on 1 duel, she'd be pissed. If it's just ordinary combat she won't care as long as you are fighting the good fight :)

I'll mention in ooc if anyone's ever about to do something that would make ala take action against them (beyond the usual tutting and scowling!) so don't stress about it.

Incidentally, ala would also be up for finding a normal town or city with a tavern :)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:38 pm

ok, I'll keep looking on the feat..

Weapon finesse seems decent, but I prefer to use ranged (throwing knives, crossbow and now the javelin, too), and those get the dex bonus anyways.

3+3 is indeed 6. For some reason I thought the level was 5 already. :wall: Never mind me.

And those are the only sites I could find (quickly) that have ANYTHING on spell thief (and I bookmarked them), so I just looked up all the rest there, too.
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:00 pm

If you're using ranged only, do you gain anything from two weapon fighting?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:25 pm

With thrown weapon, yes
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:53 am

well SO far, Henry hasn't done a lot of attacking anyways, due to being unconscious most of the time. :lol:

btw, I substracted the two points too much in move silently, and put them into hide.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:15 pm

I think I'll follow in M0rts foot steps and celebrate the christmas spirit by granting all of you some christmas magic in the form of a free critical roll or some kind of succes to each of you! :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:57 am

Can I immediately use my crit to get phat loot?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:49 am

No.. though I guess it might work when determing random loot for a given enounter level if that's really what you want.. :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:55 am

Would it apply on a poison saving throw? :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler