Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:52 pm

"I don't know... I don't know if it was the wine you drank or this... umm... "cup". The angry tall one doesn't want to drink it in case she falls asleep and the people who sank the ship come back, but she won't tell me who she's talking about. What do you think? The cup is definitely magic, but I don't know how. Maybe it just makes the water stay inside... Unless.. Do all cups do this? Everything is very strange here."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Trill shakes her head and sketches a cup pouring liquid out of it in the sand in front of them. She hops up and scoops up one of the silver bowls, pulling a few ounces of liquid from the tap into the bowl and showing Ty how it will pour out into the sand.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Ty smiles gratefully as Trill takes the time to demonstrate how cups work.

"Yeah, see that's what water's supposed to do! You know, unless you ask it to do something else."

Ty uses shape water to catch the spill before it touches the sand and directs it back into the bowl with a smile. He pauses to think for a moment.

"Is this stuff something that land people can do? She ((he indicates towards Fal)) said I wasn't the only one with magic, but she was so angry when I cast that thunderclap by mistake that I didn't want to ask any more questions."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Trill hops excitedly as Ty moves water around.

"... wasn't the only one with magic....", she repeats, indicating herself, nodding to indicate she knows some magic as well.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 pm

Ty is delighted!

"You too?! Would you show me something you can do?

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Trill mimics the booming sound of thunder, and thrusts her hands out from her.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Ty laughs at how good the mimicry is and casts a sideways look towards Fal in case she looks like she's about to have an aneurysm.

"That's excellent! ok... I've got another one! How about a nice breeze?"

Ty casts Gust (cantrip) to summon up a pleasant breeze and whip up a teeny little sand swirl.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Trill hesitates, before shaking her head side to side and pulling out her lyre. She scratches a depiction of a lyre in the sand, and a stick figure to the side, then a pair of lines from the lyre extending the stick figure and wrapping around him to signify magical musical effects. Trill then plucks a discordant melody on the lyre and scratches out the lines.

Investigation: What is needed and how long to get lyre in working order?: 1D20+1 = [17]+1 = 18
► Show Spoiler
Trill will also look about for any wildlife...

Perception: Any animals nearby?: 1D20+3 = [20]+3 = 23
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:20 pm

"Oh no... Is it broken?"

((Fwiw, he would TOTALLY appreciate thunderwave :lol: but thanks for bit hitting him with vicious mockery. That would probably be too much for him to cope with today and would convince him that you're all just horribly mean people :P))

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am

((Man, you guys are prolific. :lol: Well, here goes. Let me know if I missed anything.

TYPHOS

You find that using shape water, you manage to draw the water out of the horn easily. In fact, it also seems to come out when pored, or if you otherwise reach into it. It simply isn't coming out when upended, or sloshed, or otherwise haphazardly disturbed.

You also notice, as something of intuition, that while Trill seems a bit down since she woke up, she also seems somewhat... healthier, like she has more energy maybe.

MAXIMILLIAN

As you fly up high, you get a pretty good birdseye view of the lay of the land. It doesn't seem to be so much an island, that you can see, but just the coastline of a larger land mass. The smoke to the south is actually coming from a town of some kind, which seems to be burning. There is also a pretty massive forest, and a river that runs to the waterfall to the north. There is also other roads and signs of settlement, but it's hard to tell much specific from this far away (and high up.)

You estimate that it will take half a day's march to either the town or just a little longer to the waterfall, but it would probably just take a few hours to hike up to the riverbank, maybe closer if the trails are good.(If you were flying, you could probably be there much faster, but you're familiar with the slow locomotion of the landbound.)

FAL
You scramble up the tallest piece of wreckage you can find. It was pretty easy, the broken bits provided plenty of hand and foot holds. Congratulations, you also found the keel.
Finding more unmarred barrels escapes you, but you do spy the first barrels you found after waking, which upon second glance, still seem to be mostly intact (if empty.)

TRILL
The beach is mostly free from animals, probably all still quiet after the storm. There are some seagulls that have begun exploring the wreckage though, and some crabs pecking at the bodies of the dead.

Inspecting your lyre, you realize the water damage isn't as bad as you thought. You will need to completely restring it in order to get it back into working order, which will probably take 20 minutes to an hour. (Based on proficiency check.) Luckily, you had also found a wax sealed change of strings bundled with the instrument.

SCAT

While everyone else is dealing with their various tasks, you spot some movement over in the rocks, by the cliff face.

FENEX

You awaken with a piercing headache and a bad crick in your neck. You also seem to be wedged between two very big rocks, though you aren't really stuck, and there is sand beneath you. You can tell from the long shadows that most of the day has passed. You also seem like you've been encrusted with salt, as if you'd been in the ocean recently. Your clothing is strange, must more fine and ornate than you ever recall wearing before, all colored in black, green, and silver. You also seem to be wearing a backpack along with many other travel supplies, which are likely water damaged, given how damp some of it still feels.

It occurs to you that you may have been washed here by the sea at some point, and then got caught here as the water withdrew. You have some vague memories of struggling in the water, but your next most recent memory you were relaxing in a peaceful forest.

You have a pack on your back

User avatar
Dusk9
Games Moderator
Posts: 7077
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:24 am

Groaning heavily, Fenex clutches his head, waiting for the dizziness to subside before he moves too much. Where...was that sand? Forest's don't have sand! So, a beach? But...wait, he'd been in the water. Sea water, judging by the salt in his mouth. Had...had he been on a ship?

....the fuck would he be on a ship for!?

When the headache calms down a little, he carefully sits up and takes stock. His first instinct is to reach for his hair, searching for the holly sprig (druidic focus) from his homeland. Pulling off his backpack and looking through it, he notes down in his head anything that seems heavily water-damaged. He also sees if his shield or armour are nearby - he'd feel a lot safer with either of them in hand. Finally, he moves on to actually finding out where the hell he is. Poking his head up over the rocks he looks down the beach, keeping an eye out for movement.

Per: 1D20+6 = [11]+6 = 17
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:57 am

"It broken.", Trill echoes, but holds up the pack of strings and nods her head excitedly to indicate that it can be fixed. Spotting a crab some distance away, she taps Ty on the arm and points at it before opening her beak and voicing raucous cawing laughter (casting vicious mockery at the crab, DC 12).

VM: You are the worst crab!: 1D4 = [1] = 1

She hops up and does a side to side scuttling dance, all while laughing at that dumb crab (second round of VM at the crab).

VM: Really just the worst!: 1D4 = [4] = 4

If she manages to make the crab feel bad enough about itself that it dies, she'll pick it up and bring it back for Ty before getting started on fixing her lyre.

Lyre fixin: 1D20 = [17] = 17
((Wasn't sure what proificencies or mods you wanted on that, but if you need them, let me know and I can get you the numbers.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:00 am

Fal almost shouts like when she was a school girl and carefully moves down towards the keel and the water casks. She is more interested in finding one that can still hold water, specifically one with only a broken butt. However she isn't going to turn down one that is still full of water.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16

((Maybe Yea?))
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8186
Location: Ohio

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:13 am

Scat tenses when he sees the movement. "Scat senses that we are not alone, do all of you have weapons?"
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14613
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 am

Max flies down to his comrades . "Good news everybody! I have found a town about half a day away southwards! But it sems to be on fire, we won't get there quick enough but maybe we can help the surviours?! There is a river a few hours walk from here northward!"

He looks at Thriil looking down. "What's wrong madam?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 am

Ty is extremely pleased with the crab gift and the unusual way of subduing it. He makes quick work of dismantling it with his long fingers and happily crunches on a couple of the smaller legs.

"These ones are very good! Do you eat crab? What should I call you by the way? I know that one is Scat, and that's Maximilian, and that one is... Fil?"

He'll then spend a moment showing Trill how to get into a crab without wasting the good bits, and which bits are not for eating. He is quite happily sharing the raw crab meal when Max flies back with his news.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:17 am

Trill looks up at the other avian folk, unsure, even if she had the words, to express the sense of loss still lingering from the hazy dream.

She final speaks in Ty's voice, ".. bro...broken...".
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14613
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 am

Max happily accepts some of the crab. "What is broken, madam? I'll help you fox ot one way or another."

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 13662

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:43 am

Trill gives off a trilling bird call when asked her name, then scratches "Trill" in the sand.

When the big bird asks what is broken, she hangs her head and pats her own chest.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:13 am

"Oh."

Ty looks sadly at the blackbird and down at the sand. The letters aren't very familiar to him, but after a moment or two he's able to figure it out.

"Trill. Trill! Like the sound that the little birds make! I like that, it's a very good name.

I'm sorry that you are broken... Maybe we can help you get better."
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8186
Location: Ohio

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 am

Scat started becoming increasingly concerned, not only about the movement along the cliff-side, but also that these people weren't concerned about it. He was used to people not listening to him though and his own safety was of paramount importance. Scat ran towards the treeline and then disappeared into the shadows, waiting for the unknown with a great deal of uneasiness.

Stealth: 1D20+8 = [10]+8 = 18
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 am

((The Trees are above the cliff face, so that is quite a distance, if you hadn't put it together. I apologize for being vague.))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
You'll Never Hear the End of It
Posts: 14613
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am

Max frowns when she motions th her heart. "A broken heart? That's not something I know how to fix. Do you know of anything that would make you feel better?"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 12816
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 am

((so much happening at once!))

To Max: "I don't know what "on fire" is, but you say there are survivors? Like us, maybe? We should go!"

When Scat says he sees something, Ty looks up and points in that direction too.

"Maybe there are still survivors here!"

Ty is getting tired of not doing anything, and gets up to see this moving thing for himself.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8186
Location: Ohio

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:30 am

Draco Ex Machina wrote:((The Trees are above the cliff face, so that is quite a distance, if you hadn't put it together. I apologize for being vague.))
He basically runs towards wherever he can blend into the shadows then. even if that is the cliff-face itself.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

Post Reply