Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 pm

((Not sure if that is sarcasm, as I've not interacted with anyone, but I read it that I'm not near them?))

Trill pulls the chest and barrel free of the sand, and in the relative shade, begins going through the gear in the pack.

((You said none is familiar, just as in not recognizing it's mine, or not knowing what a lyre is for?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Feeling much better, Typhos slowly opens his eyes, looking into the face of the birdman who rescued him. He doesn't really understand what he's seeing, but he thinks he remembers birds... Catching a glimpse of the silver lightning bolt on the other man's shirt, he let's out a tiny, dry-throated "oh!" sound and reaches out to touch the bolt lightly with his fingertips, while simultaneously being slightly surprised that he has fingers... Something familiar maybe... The symbol reminds him of loud noises and bright lights and... Happiness? ...no, that's not quite right... His head hurts and he is thirsty. Maybe water will help...

He whispers a word to the birdman that sounds like "ooshke..." and rolls over, trying once again to get a handle on his new, horrible surroundings.

Perception again: 2D20.LOW(1)+4 = [10, 13]+4 = 14

If he sees if hears or smells water of any kind, he will try and stumble over to it.

As he goes, he may be interested to learn that he apparently has feet and legs and arms and... Scales? Sod it. Water first.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 pm

"Greetings green scaled one! I do hope that you are okay!" While he's talking (more of a half shout) he dusts off some of the sand off of his uniform.

Maxmillian tries to think what 'ooske' is that the green man is talking about to no advail. "I am sorry! I do not know what you mean! Do you need water?! You seem to be far too dry!"
per, int: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
1D20-2 = [3]-2 = 1

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm

"Waaater..." Typhos tries the word out a bit. It seems familiar and sounds about right...

"Water... water. Yes! Ooshke! Water! Choram talaev an olc!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 pm

"Fear not! I shall find you some water!" Maximillian flies up to spy some water and dives back down once he does. "This way, my friend! Are you still hurt? Do you still need to be carried?"

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:52 pm

((Going ahead and posting, since Fal went off to look for water anyways.))

TRILL
((Not sarcasm, I was just happy people started interacting without my prompting. :) ))
After some prolongued effort, you manage to free the chest and barrel. It took a lot of work, and you weren't at your full strength to begin with, so it's really starting to add up.
In the pack you find
  • Light Crossbow and bolts
  • bedroll
  • 2 costumes
  • 5 candles
  • 5 days rations
  • a water skin
  • a disguise kit
  • a lyre
  • leather armor
  • dagger
  • club
  • 50ft silk rope
  • common clothes
  • 10 gp
  • an old key on a bit of string
Most of it seems to be in good condition, despite some damage and grime from the water and sand. The lyre you're not too sure about though, and it will take some dedicated time to get it back in working order. You recognize the form and function of the items, and recall using weapons and equipment like them before, but don't specifically recall any of the items besides the old key, which you recognize as having own for a while. The pack is emblazoned with the sigil of an ornate gauntlet clutching a lightning bolt. The last thing you remember is performing on the docks after a successful sailing voyage, and have no recollection of what the strange sigil means.
MAXIMILLIAN
As you were digging your trench, you quickly realized that it was fruitless. The sand here was already too dry wasn't retaining its shape or depth, however, no immediate sollution occured to you.
As you take flight to find water for your newly rescued friend, you the only water you see is that of the ocean, and of a small waterfall on the other opposite side of the rocks beyond the edge of the beach. It looks a long ways off.
((I would have normally made you roll to also spot the waterfall, but as Fal had already found it, and you were pretty high up, I just gave it to you.))
TYPHOS
As you struggle to get your bearings, you hear the soft lapping of the ocean waves upon the beach. Immediately you crawl out from the shade, and begin running across the sand towards it.
Earned one inspiration. Great job staying in character, even when it was all going down the tubes.

Please roll CON again, and your choice of Athletics or Acrobatics.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Typhos runs to the edge of the ocean, whooping hoarsely with mad delight as he plunges in, driven by a need that calls out from the very center of his being. Throwing his body under the waves, he laughs as the water fills his lungs with a cool, heavy peacefulness that feels... safe. He pushes himself into slightly deeper water and lies on the seabed for a few minutes, happily letting the waves and the dappled sunlight rock away his headache as he listens to the pops and crackles of fish feeding on a reef somewhere nearby... or maybe it was the wreck... Something about that thought bothers him and distracts him from the pleasantness of his rest. He's not supposed to be here... He has something to do.

The memory sinks into him like a stone as he remembers that he has an important task to do, and he's going to have to go back to the terrible dry, hot place to do it. Shit.

His rest ruined, he reluctantly pushes himself back to the shore to find the helpful birdman. He hauls himself out of the shallows and rests on his hands and knees for a moment to let the water drain from his lungs before he stands up and breathes the air again as he feels his headache return. Gods its dry... This is going to be awful.

...But that carrier-bird... It was wearing something he recognised... Where did he go?

---------------

((I wrote this first but the update ninjad me, so, assuming he can still see max and the offer from is still available in some form (and he didn't abandon Ty as a raving lunatic, he will reply: ))

"Hurrt? I... yes." ((because how could I possibly refuse? :D))

While he is being carried to wherever the water may be, he'll close his eyes and shade them with his hands to keep the nasty hot light light out of his face and ask:

"Who are you? What is this place? I don't remember... anything, but I think I like... that... shiny thing. What is it?" (he's talking about Max's lightning badge and will point to it if Max is confused). He speaks slowly, as if its an effort to make his mouth cooperate with his sluggish, thumping head.

------

If Max is gone, Ty will stay on the wet sand and wonder what the hell he's supposed to do with this endless awfulness and will try and find Max using his wits.

Perception: 2D20.LOW(1)+6 = [5, 4]+6 = 10

But they seem lacking so he probably will just drag himself back to the shady place that they put him in before and lie down for a think.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Trill puts on the leather armor, gears up with the dagger and crossbow (after making sure it's in working order), and packs everything else back into the bundle... except the key. The key she loops around her neck, comforted, but not knowing why. Not expecting anything, she tries it on the chest, just in case.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Max picks him or is it a her, up. "I hope it's enough, but I have found a waterfall!" He walks towards the waterfall and looks down when the scaled person asks for his name. "Ah yes, I have forgotten in my haste! My name is Maximillian, you may call me Max! Also known to some as the GREAT Dazzling Prancing Peacock! I don't know this place, it seems to be a wreck for all I can tell! As for my badge, it seems to be a lightning bolt but I have no idea what it means! Now, what is your name good person?"
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

((I had thought I had made it clear, but I should point out, but the waterfall is actually quite a ways off, and it's going to take a significant amount of time to get there, even flying at Max's significan't fly speed. If you're done here though, feel free to set off.))

TRILL

The lock of the chest is actually filled with sand, but it the keyhole is large enough that the key still fits. It does not, however, turn in the lock.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:52 pm

"Actually my green friend, the waterfall is very far from here! Do you want to go back to the ocean?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 am

Trill steps out of the ruined ship and has a look around.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:54 am

(OOC: Do any of you sleep!)

Fal stops at the bottom of the path and then watches as the bird flies up and surveys the surrounding territory. [Well that was stupid of me] she says out loud before walking back towards the wreck looking for something to carry water in.

_: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

Fal watches as the bird carries the injured green creature towards the waterfall. She stands there for a moment trying to ponder what to do next as she knows she needs water...but getting into shade and off the shore maybe more important...

_: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6

But apparently can't remember anything...so begins to march towards the only water source she knows of.

(Con check to see if she can even make it because dehydrated at two + hours walking is not fun...I've done it...)_: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12

(Also not ignoring anyone, I just don't think Fal has recognized Trill running around at the moment)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:28 am

((I've not seen anyone else yet, unless I've missed it, don't recall anyone having seen me?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:31 am

To Max:
"My name? ... I don't... I don't remember...

I can't go back. I have something important to do in the dry place, but I don't remember what it is...Do you know? Who am I? Are we the only people here?

...we should look first. Go back. Maybe the ship has answers..."

Ty's brain is beginning to adjust to his new circumstances and he has a lot of questions.

((Didn't notice that you wanted more checks. Here you go:))

Con save: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
Acrobatics: 2D20.LOW(1) = [14, 2] = 2

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:40 am

"There is another here, they helped me find shade! The waterfall is far from here so some shade would help!" Max flies twoards the elven creature/rowboat. "I am sorry, but I do not even know what you are! I do not know who you are, I'm sorry! I think it's best you rest yourself before you hurt yourself! Whatever you need to do here will have to wait!"

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:51 am

"There is another here, they helped me find shade! The waterfall is far from here so some shade would help!" Max flies twoards the elven creature/rowboat. "I am sorry, but I do not even know what you are! I do not know who you are, I'm sorry! I think it's best you rest yourself before you hurt yourself! Whatever you need to do here will have to wait!"

Fal looks at the bird for a moment and blinks, "If I don't get water soon, I'll get to enjoy a nice long nap along with the rest of the corpses on this beach. So unless you happen to be cleric who can turn salt water into fresh water, or happen to have some fresh water, I need to get to that fresh water stream before I succumb to dehydration like the one your lugging around."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 am

"Ah! Unfortunally I am not a cleric! I was so focused on this one that I forgotten about taking care of myself or others! I have found a waterfall and hopefully that will have fresh water! It is a long distance away I am afraid, hopefully we can find something here that will help!" Max will help Fal search for anything useful. (You'll get advantage on investigation)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 am

Ty smiles at the nice birdman.

"It's ok, I am starting to feel better... Just tired. And heavy. It is very dry here... But I have something to do and I must remember what it is! It is very important."

---------

When they land and approach the elf, Ty listens to what she says as something nudges his memory that he can't quite grasp... He frowns, and speaks to the elf:

"Water is important to you, too? I think I used to live there! Are you from the water too?"

He points to the ocean.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:18 am

Fal shakes her head and mumble [ I got stuck dying on a beach with a damn bird brained bird the size of a house] in elvish before replying "Well we need to find a bucket or a barrel or a waterskin or something to carry it back here..." their eyes scanning for the appearance of such an object.

_: 1D20+1+3 = [1]+1+3 = 5

She is then distraced by the (prone) figure who asks her "Water is important to you, too? I think I used to live there! Are you from the water too?" Fal stops for a moment, thinking about the sea.

_: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3

I don't think so...truth is I can not recall anything...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am

(Ty is sitting cross-legged under the rowboat to keep out of the sun)

"Well, what did you expect him to have? A fish's brain? Ha!"

Ty laughs at his own joke.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 am

thinkslogically wrote:(Ty is sitting cross-legged under the rowboat to keep out of the sun)

"Well, what did you expect him to have? A fish's brain? Ha!"

Ty laughs at his own joke.
[You speak this tongue?]

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:08 am

Ty sticks his head out from under the rowboat and gives the woman a long look.

[Well... Obviously, yes. Why? Whose tongue is it?]

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 am

((There are some bits that didn't fit together perfectly, but I'm doing my best to make it cohesive. Fal and Max had at times described themselves as making their way to, what I assumed was, the main wreckage of the ship (where Trill is at), so I'm assuming they're taking their time and looking around while doing so, which is how the conversation with Typhos is also happening concurrently. :) ))

TRILL
You step out onto the sandy beach. Not much catches your eye.

You see something glittering from beneath the sand, over in the direction where you first woke up. You hadn't noticed it before, because you were on the opposite side of some of the debris.

You also notice notice two other figures coming down the beach in your direction, about 10 yards to the south. They seem to be searching for something.
You did not see Typhos because he is hiding from the sun in the shade.

FAL
Along your trek back, you don't find much that you could carry water in very well, but you do find:
  • 1 Large Shell
  • 1 Cracked Tankard
You were a bit worried about your health, and exposure to the elements, but you actually feel much better than before now that you've been moving around for a while.
Without too much time lost, you find yourself back where you began, the bird and the green man still seem to be around.
TYPHOS
You stumbled while running through the sand towards the water, but your new bird friend caught you before you got any further hurt. The shade and the water have refreshed you miraculously, and you feel a new burst of well being surge into you from swimming in the sea. You now have zero levels of exhaustion.
As you think further on the symbol on the badge, you do feel happiness and a sense of purpose, but you also feel... anger? More, a faint echo of anger. A sense of unease behind your thoughts.
FAL AND MAX
((You forgot to roll with advantage, as Max was helping Fal.))
Max helping Fal look for water: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [5, 1]+3 = 8
As you amble along the wreckage, looking for water or even something to carry it in, you find another pack sticking out of the sand, this one the color of seaweed and oceanwater, instead of the uniformed green black and silver like the others. You also see a raven looking humanoid emerge out of the larger wreckage about 10 yards to the north.

SCAT
WIS and CON: 1D20 = [13] = 13
1D20 = [15] = 15

((I rolled for you to get you started.))

You awake slowly, the feeling of cool sand on your scales, and small headache, but altogether you're pretty comfortable. As you open your eyes, you seem to be trapped in a small cavity under some decrepit wood, with what seem to be creeky planks above you, and the hull of a ship to the side. A small glimmer of light can be seen along the ground where the planks just barely aren't making contact with the sand below you.
As you shift, a metal collar clinks to the ground from around your neck. You have no recollection of where you are, or how you got here.
Last edited by Draco Ex Machina on Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am

[Well... Obviously, yes. Why? Whose tongue is it?]

_: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

[(Mother Tongue of the elder parent) I sort of recal speaking it from the day I was born, it was like her from beyond the sea.]

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr