Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Typhos will go back to the box of packs then and rummage through the unclaimed items. He examines the vestments a bit and sniffs curiously at the incense. He decides he quite likes the smell of it and pops it in his pack. The soap begins to lather on his damp skin almost immediately, making him annoyingly slippery and bubbly, so he puts it back. He is not a fan of soap. He quite likes the ink, but doesn't really understand why anyone would need such a tiny cup of coloured water and he leaves it behind.

Otherwise, none of this means very much to him, so he scoops up the rations and decides to go for a walk, following the tracks of the small, scaly creature. The creature isn't the same colour as Ty, but they both have scales so maybe that means something.

He wanders off to try and find Scat, but he's too sneaky I guess, so Ty goes back to the others.
Perception: 1D20+6 = [16]+6 = 22

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm

Alarms go off in scats mind as he sees the drag marks. It would be careless for them to imagine that they were alone on this island that they found washed up on. Scat slinks over to the overturned rowboat and looks around it, for some means in which to get in underneath it and examine any contents of the boat that had become trapped beneath its weight. Being so small, he knew he would be unable to flip it without help. As he finishes his round of the boat, a nagging feeling crept into his gut as his mind continued to mull over the drag-marks. The nagging feeling won him over and he slinked back towards the beach and the others. His desire for a knife and at least some protection convinced him that running deeper onto the island on his own would be a fast way to die. As he slunk back over to the beach, his mind mulled over what the other things on the beach had said and he faintly remembered one of them saying something about a crate full of belongings, perhaps he could find his amongst the things.

From an outside observer, it may have looked silly, a small rodent like thing, slinking along, darting from one broken bit of a destroyed boat to another as if wanting to remain unseen. So fast was his movement that an observer might think the shadows are playing tricks on their eyes.

When Scat arrived back at the well populated beach, he creeped over to and then looked in the crate that had been earlier talked about. He fished through the things, looking for anything that stood out to him.

He sees the taller scaly one looking for him, and once he fishes out what he wants from the crate, steps from the shadows and says hello. "Thank you for trying to help Scat, Scat is very thankful."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Ty is pleased that someone around here appreciates his help and gives the scaly man a broad smile and wanders over.

"You are welcome!"

Ty's face drops a little when he sees the scaly man has the same colours as the others to wear and wonders if that means he'll get in more trouble soon. Still, this one has scales, so maybe he's not so bad.

"You have scales too, same as me! Do you come from the water too? Or did you come from the ship like them?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:44 pm

At the question, scat looks around and shrugs. "scat doesn't remember. "

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:49 pm

"You too? Well it seems like we've all got that in common! I know I have something I'm supposed to do, but I can't remember what it is..."

There's a bit of an awkward pause while Ty wonders what to say to the not-very-talkative guy. Eventually he just shrugs.

"Did you find anything useful?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Trill sniffs at the wine, but not able to tell much, pours some out into the drinking horn, indicating the silver bowls if Fal would like to use it.

INT: History: What is wine?: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8

With a fair bit in the horn, she tips it back, sipping at first, then drinking deeper if it is pleasing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:15 am

"Scat went that way" scat points in the direction he slunk in, not that he mentioned his slinking to the blue man. "Scat saw overturned boat, and drag-marks in sand". He smiled big at the blue man and found himself exhilarated by this conversation, he hadn't really taken the time to talk to anyone in such a long time.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:28 am

"Oh! ...great! I'm not very strong, but I have... Um... Magic if you want some help?"

Ty is a little hesitant, since magic seems to get him into trouble, but it's about all he can think of that might help.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:35 am

Scat raised an eyebrow, he had heard of magic before and had even seen it used before, but he also knew how dangerous and corrupting of an influence it had. The magic users he had run across were powerful, arrogant and placed too much faith in their skills with the mystical energies that only they and few others could use. He had seen whole city blocks that were reduced to giant smoking holes because two magicians couldn't agree over something trivial, like pride. However, the idea of having something or someone that could use magic on his side made him pause, even just for a few moments to think of the possibilities. The calm voice in him reminded him of the "corruption" and he quickly pushed the thought of helpful magic out of his mind.

"Scat just telling you what he saw, not need help right now."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:05 am

"oh... Ok"

Ty shuffles his feet awkwardly, but can't think of much else to say.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:21 am

"Scat help you with anything?" he smiled sincerely, or at least tried to. "Scat good at getting into small spaces and opening locked things."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 am

"Well, maybe! ...I have something I'm supposed to do here, I'm certain of that. The only problem is that I don't remember what it is. This symbol means something, I'm sure of that ((shows Scat the gauntlet and bolt symbol)), so maybe I need to find someone to tell me what it means? I don't know, but I know I can't stay here forever... Maybe you could come with me?

Oh hey - have you ever seen a cloud like that?"

Ty points to the plume of smoke to the south.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:15 am

As scat followed the direction of his pointing hand, a grip of fear grabbed his stomach, if only momentarily. He started putting things together; smoke, dragmarks...they weren't alone here. "Scat knows smoke when he sees it. Yes, Scat will come with you."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:30 am

"...Oh! Good!

...what is smoke?"

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:38 am

Scat raises his eyebrow again at the weird blue man, who apparently doesn't know what smoke is. As he starts to answer, he wonders if he would then have to explain what fire was, which made him very unwilling to answer. Scat didn't consider himself the smartest person and talking down to others like others had talked down to him felt wrong, but he really didn't want to explain everything to this creature who didn't seem to understand anything that he considered normal."Like a cloud, but comes from the ground." Scat smiled again to sell the deception.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 am

"Really? I've only seen sky clouds before... If they come from the ground... How strange! I want to see this! Come on!"

Ty is quite excited at seeing how these strange ground clouds form, and heads off towards the cliff path.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 am

Scat rested his head in his hands and cursed silently under his breathe. He was unwilling to allow the strange blue man to get hurt because of his half-truths, and he followed along behind him, hoping they didn't find trouble.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:59 am

As they leave, Ty will shout to the others:

"ME AND SCAT ARE GOING TO SEE A GROUND CLOUD! WE'LL COME BACK SOON!"

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:04 am

((If anyone hasn't seen it, I posted a vague map of the beach in the OOC thread.))

TRILL and FAL
The liquid that spills out of the tap is sky blue and crystal clear, with a hint of golden froth. It has a mild yet pleasant aroma, sweet without being fruity, and darker than its appearance would suggest. Neither of you can recall anything about it, but the scent seems pleasant and vaguely familiar.

TRILL
You raise the drinking horn to your beak and drink deeply. The flavor is exactly as it smells, with a smooth clear texture. You find it surprisingly delicious, more so than its aroma would suggest.

Please roll a WIS and a CON save.

SCAT

Rummaging through the trunk, you had found-
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) Shortbow and quiver, (20) Arrows, (1) bag of ball bearings, (10) feet of string, (1) bell, (5) candles, (1) crowbar, (1) hammer, (10) pitons, (1) hooded lantern, (2) flasks of oil, (1) tinderbox, and (1) waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it. This is your equipment chosen during character creation. Some personal items only will be familiar, but you somehow otherwise recognize it as yours.
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) blanket, (10) candles, (1) tinderbox, (1) alms box, (1) censer, vestments, and (1) waterskin.
  • (1) Pack containing: (2) cases for maps and scrolls, (1) set of fine clothes, (1) ink pen, (1) lamp, (2) flasks of oil, (5) sheets of paper, (1) vial of perfume, (1) sealing wax, and (1) soap.
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) crowbar, (1) hammer, (3) wooden stakes, (1) holy symbol, (1) flask of holy water, (1) set of manacles, (1) steel mirror, (1) flask of oil, (1) tinderbox, and (3) torches.
  • Assorted scattered items including: (1) Religious Vestments, (1) soap, (1) bottle of ink, (1) Rapier (proportioned perfectly for Scat.)
Please dictate what it is you've picked from the pile.

TYPHOS
In addition to your own gear, you have now acquired:
  • (7) days rations
  • (2) blocks of incense

SCAT AND TYPHOS

Please describe the direction you are heading towards the smoke. Down the beach, or up the trail on top of the cliff?

MAXIMILLIAN
With a sharp CRACK one of the boards you were working with your talons suddenly breaks, sending you flying into the air. Luckily, you have wings, and flying in the air feels perfectly natural to you.
There is now a hole in the top of the crate just large enough for an arm or a leg, though the crate is large enough for a couple medium sized people to fit inside. In the strong daylight, you see that it seems to be filled with round orange and yellow colored fruit.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 am

*Back then: After rummaging through the crate, Scat brings out the pack that seems most familiar to himself. He straps it to himself, satisfied with the somewhat familiar weight of it on his body. He is also happily surprised when he finds a rapier that looks as if it was made just for him, he pulls this out of the crate and straps it on.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am

((Ty is going to hold onto the strange holy symbol too because it seems like it's linked to all the stuff going on so far))

I guess if we can reach the smoke by going along the beach Ty will head that way, but I thought there were cliffs all around us? Right now, he's heading for the path.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:22 am

((oof...))

WIS and CON saves: 1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7
1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9

thinkslogically wrote:((but I thought there were cliffs all around us? ))
((Well, there's ocean on one side... :lol: You may be thinking of Circle Vale.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

Max uses his talons to make the opening bigger before he starts putting some fruit inside of his bag. "Friends! I have found some food!"

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:49 am

TRILL
You drink even more deeply, and keep drinking long past the amount of liquid you poured out should have lasted. Your aches and pains float away, and you begin getting drowsy.

You fall asleep and fall to the sand.

No liquid spills from the horn, it now seems empty.
Well, Typhos wouldn't know if there's another way to climb up down the beach in that direction or not, and being a water genasi, he might decide to try to swim to the other side of the cliffs, not realizing that other humanoids might not be able to do the same. Still, either way. Up the trail it is. :)

((The other updates I'll wait till everyone has posted for.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:51 am

((Welp... good night everyone!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler