Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Post Reply
Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 am

What is a door? A door is an opening, it is a means of passage from one area into another. These areas are generally divided by some physical, magical, or divine means. Doors are sometimes physical, sometimes conceptual, and while many remain open at all times- some only open upon the interference of some outside force, or under very specific circumestances.

What is a shadow? A shadow is a void. Commonly, a shadow is an absence of light. This is caused when the light from a source is interrupted, which is typically by a physical object. The larger the object in relative proportion to the light source, the larger the shadow that is cast. Cast a big enough shadow for long enough, and even the memory of light may be whisked away.

However, these are simply examples. Not all doors are physical, and not all shadows have anything to do with physical light.

*****

Waves crack along the shoreline and gulls cry as the calm after the storm slowly refills with the sounds of life. Detritus covers the beaches, including fallen trees, sticks, rocks, and the remains of what seems to have been at least one large galleon. Scattered among the debris are corpses, of all shapes and sizes. Many are humanoid, but there are some animals of both the land and the sea among them. The humanoids mostly all seem to be wearing uniforms of the same colors and styles, though of differing cuts. Green seems to be the common motif, with black and silver. Four figures begin to stir among the ruins, scattered piecemeal among the destruction.

((You, collectively, find yourselves among the wreckage, and with no immediate recollection of how you came to be there. Please make constitution and then wisdom saves in order to get us started.))

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15175

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:03 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:11 am

Con, wis: 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16
1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14


(:o apparently monks have prof in a crafting kit or instrument and I didn't notice. Once we get the google sheets up I need to remember that)

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:38 am

Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:33 am

...aaaand great stats do nothing when the dice don't like you...


Wis / Con saves: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13
1D20+6 = [2]+6 = 8

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15175

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:(:o apparently monks have prof in a crafting kit or instrument and I didn't notice. Once we get the google sheets up I need to remember that)
((This band is really coming together! I don't think we have a bass player yet... or keyboards... fantasy keyboards.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:38 am

With the sun creeping slowing higher above the horizon, three of the four stirring figures seem to finally settle and properly awaking from their trauma. They are all garbed in the same green black and silver colors as the majority of the bodies, and include two avian humanoids, and one human looking woman. The fourth stirring figure hasn't changed, and is garbed differently than the rest- in colors that mimic the deeps of the seas and the storms at night.

TRILL
Memories of a powerful gale suddenly rush through your mind, but strangely enough, nothing immediately prior to that. Your most recent memory includes trying to rush down from the crows nest as a storm wailed around you. You remember having a difficult time, as you also had a splitting headache, and you remember your pack falling from your grasp as the pole you were shimmying down suddenly heaved and lurched. Your body aches slightly, and salt is beginning to crust between your feathers as the sea water dries, which is not a pleasant feeling. You seem to be lying on top of the former mast of a ship.
MAXIMILLIAN
Your head is filled with fog as you begin to wake and become more aware of what's around you. Your wings hurt, but otherwise you're not feeling too badly. Salt is starting to crust into your feathers as you've been drying on the beach, and a fine layer of sand is covering your body and gritting inside your clothes. None of the debris seems to be immediately around your body.
FAL
You awaken to find yourself halfway sprawled across a large wooden plank of some kind, under the shade of one of a ships rowboats which has been embedded halfway into the sand and is tilting over you. You have a vague memory of pain shooting through your head, but that seems to be gone now. You have a vague impression that something important has been going on that you should be remembering, but it escapes you. Your body aches, but only slightly, and your clothes and skin feel slightly crusty from the salt and the sand.
TYPHOS
Your body feels hot, dry, and stiff. You can recall being in a place of cool refreshing comfort, then feelings of anger, and a feeling of chaos. You recall crashing into something large and solid, but little else. Your mind hurts, not physically, but mentally. Your body doesn't seem to want to move.
((A reminder - Everyone please use your character name, or _DS, or something like that on CoyoteCode to make your rolls unique your character in this game. I like being able to go back and review rolls, and it's nicer to keep things organized. :) Also, if you're going to do something that you think might need a roll, go ahead and make the roll with your post. I'm not sure how you guys normally do it, but that seems more efficient that waiting for me to tell you what to roll like happens in most of my live games. If I actually need a different roll I'll let you know, and if you didn't need to roll it's pretty much an autosuccess anyways (but the outcome may still be flavored according to roll results.) :) And if there's any questions on what kind of skills I use for things, please ask. For example, I use perception for noticing things or finding things in general, whereas investigation would be more deducing and piecing together clues and information, but they can have a certain amount of overlap in application. That sort of thing.))

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am

Typhos is not happy. His body feels far too heavy and he is too hot. He lets out a long groan and tries to work out what the hell happened and where he is now.

INT, perception: 1D20-1 = [6]-1 = 5
1D20+6 = [9]+6 = 15


((Rolled a straight INT check to try and remember anything, and Perception to work out where he is))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:15 am

Maximillian lifts himself up and starts to dust off his feathers, not too happy about the unexpected dustbath. He makes sure his feathers are nice and strait before looking at the squirming person who cannot seem to get up and tries to help them.

Medicine check: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Fal stares up at the rowboat for a moment trying to recall the last thing she remembered.
Fal Tries to remember last event: 1D20+1 = [6]+1 = 7
She then rolls out from under the rowboat and stands to survey the scene to identify anything useful like water, tools, supplies within the surrounding area.
Fal Surveys the area for supplies and water: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5
(I am turning out useless here)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15175

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Trill hops to her feet, shaking the salt and sand off as best she can.

Perception: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

She looks around, trying to get her bearings as far as what sort of coast, or where she might be.

Nature/History?: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:30 pm


TYPHOS
You have no further insights as to what has happened, and you can't seem to recall anything at all from your past apart from a distant sense of commanding purpose. Your headache is getting worse, developing into a sense of physical pain. Your body resists your efforts to look around you, you do manage to crack an eye open and see nothing but bright sun shining down on sand and scattered debris.
Roll a CON save again.
MAXIMILLIAN
You notice the pale green skinned man about 10 feet away from where you were lying, and run to check on him. As you stoop to help him, he skin seems very dry and warm to the touch. You deduce that some water and shade would likely help him stabilize.
How would you like to help him?
FAL
Your efforts to recall any more about the past few events do nothing more than awaken an echo of the pain you remembered feeling. You do deduce that you've been shipwrecked, which does coincide with your previous memory of being at sea, but something seems off.
You do a brief survey of the area, but don't notice anything useful. Some broken barrels whose contents are long lost at sea, various bits and pieces of the ship, and the bodies of the fallen, none of which seem to have anything useful at the moment. Just as you're about to give up, you find a small collection of bundles that had been under the rowboat with you, half buried in sand. They seem to have held up well, and have resisted the fury of the storm.
You succeeded in finding your own gear, but failed at finding anything else noteworthy.
TRILL
You manage to get a lot of the sand and salt off of you, but you're going to need to spend more time cleaning to get it out of your feathers. You spot a bundle mostly buried in the sand just a few feet from where you were standing, and as you walk over to it you also find an unbroken barrel and a small chest, hidden within a larger chunk of the ship that seemed to have remained more in tact than the rest, which likely protected the two items from the worst of the elements.

As you look about you seem to be about 50 yards away from the ocean, that must have been quite the storm to deposit you this far inland. The wreckage stretches across the beach for another 50 yards in each direction, where the beach then peters away into rocky cliffs, and more cliffs jut up from the sand just 10 yards opposite you from the ocean, it's probably about 20 ft high.

You can't really deduce much more than that about your local surroundings, but you do notice some scattered palm fronds among the wreckage, so you assume it must stay pretty warm where you are now.
The sun is climbing into the sky, it looks to be about mid-morning, and is getting pretty hot out.

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Maximillian carefully picks up the green man (in a princess carry) and looks at the wreakage, there is at the very least shade there! He goes to find a spot for the green man to lay in. If he fails to find shade, at least he found some water to cool off the guy. He starts making a a small 'sand pit' with a trench so water goes in there, hoping that will help with the dry skin. EDIT: He will carefully put down the green guy before digging out the trench.
Athletic: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23
investigation: 1D20-2 = [10]-2 = 8

What items does he have on his person right now?
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edits

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:52 pm

((Ooooowwwwww... Everything is terrible!!!!))

Con save: 1D20+4 = [1]+4 = 5

((Glad to see coyotecode is continuing it's long tradition of hating my characters :lol:))

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Fel pulls the bundle (?) out and if she can remember what each thing does, will re-equip it.

If the birdman brings the other under the shade of the rowboat, she will likely react by asking in elvish [What is wrong with they?]

If not she will begin to look over the deep shore (aka the cliffs) to see if there appears to be some place to find fresh water. _: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20
(Well at least Fal got that one...)
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 15175

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Trill pulls free the buried bundle and opens it, before turning her attention to the barrel and chest, checking to see if they can be opened.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Maximillain looks at Fel. "I am sorry stranger! But I do not know what you are saying!"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:52 pm

► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:59 pm

"I am sorry stranger! But I do not know what you are saying!"

"Eh, oh what is wrong with the one you are dragging?"
► Show Spoiler
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:34 pm

"This person seems to be too hot and dry! I hope that a little shade and water will help him out!"

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 pm

Everything is terrible and now it feels like his body is being dragged through a firey tornado. He groans slightly louder.

((Typhos doesn't much like beaches))

User avatar
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
Posts: 15563
UStream Username: burnsbees
Location: Behind you
Contact:

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Everything is terrible and now it feels like his body is being dragged through a firey tornado. He groans slightly louder.

((Typhos doesn't much like beaches))
(Not dragged, carried, like a princess :P)

User avatar
Quarg
.
Posts: 4901

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Quarg » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:"This person seems to be too hot and dry! I hope that a little shade and water will help him out!"
"Then I will go see if I can find some fresh water...though we need something to carry it back if I find any fresh water..."

Fal will then search for water as noted previously.
Last edited by Quarg on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14773
Location: Florida

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Typhos whimpers as he's scooped out of the grit and lifted into the air. The feathers and sunlight touching his skin hurt. The hot air touching his skin hurts. The weight of his clothing hurts.

This really is just the worst day.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words
Posts: 98

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 pm


MAXIMILLIAN

You lift the green man with ease, effortlessly carrying across the sands to the nearby shade of the wreckage. You fail to immediately find ample enough shade to cover him, but after some time you come across a vaguely familiar woman with a faint elven cast to her features, and note the overturned rowboat that she's standing by, with the perfect amount of shade to hide a person under. You begin digging a trench, the sand in your current location is very dry and isn't holding its depth easily. Your current possessions consist of the salt and sand encrusted clothes on your back, which appears to be an austere uniform of green, black, and silver. You're wearing a badge which bears the emblem of an ornate gauntlet clutching a lightning bolt. ((You also have in your possession a green humanoid whom you just picked up, hyuk hyuk hyuk.))
Make an intelligence check or a perception check.
TYPHOS
You suddenly feel a lot cooler, and through the slits of your eyes you see that the light is not nearly so bright. Your pain begins to subside.
You are no longer incapacitated, but still suffer from one level of exhaustion. You can now make actions and explore the environment.
FAL
You do recognize the function of all of your equipment, though aside from the personal effects such as your badge, you don't immediately recognize any specific item. You've found your equipment! However, much of it you don't recognize. Did it really belong to you?
You stumble through the loose sand, the extra weight of your newly worn equipment throwing you off a bit as you make your way over to the cliffside. You spend some time searching, and you spy a small waterfall in the distance, on the otherside of the rocks at the end of the beach.

Much closer to camp, you also find a small gametrail leading up the cliff face. It doesn't look too difficult.
TRILL
After a small amount of effort and time, you manage to pull the bag free and inspect the contents. It seems as if the bag had come open during the storm, and so some water and sand has gotten in. None of it is immediately familiar to you, but you know you could make good use of this equipment, assuming it has remained undamaged. You have found your pack.
As you inspect the barrel, you find that it is sealed tight. The chest, likewise, is locked. You will need to use tools of some kind to open them.
((Great job on the interactions guys. :D))

Post Reply