Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Yeah, I think this is the last season we can plant, unless we can still plant in fall and only harvest in winter. So might be worth it to do something else this season, and prepare farming tools next season/during winter to have it ready for spring..?

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm

You could plant and harvest this season. However, the workers cannot do both. They can either plant...or they can harvest.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 pm

I know that's how it works for this season, but I mean for the next. Is Fall the season you can only harvest (Because the crops will just die in winter if you plant any more), or is it Winter in that you can still harvest during (the start of) it, but not plant because of the cold?

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:13 pm

^Yes. You could potentially harvest in month 1 of winter, but only if you had a mild winter...which you won't know about till winter. A bit risky of an endeavor.

However...looking over my production tab doesn't quite explain how workers work. So, allow me to make some adjustments so that it makes more sense.
As you will recall:
Planting = 20 "Work" is required to plant 1 acre. Unskilled laborers produce farm work at a rate of 1d3. Skilled workers produce at a minimum rate of 2d10.
Harvesting:
Oats is what you planted: 3d3 bushel per acre = Bx3 = Food Yield.
Harvesting is somewhat less labor intensive than planting. So, I'm going to say, while it takes 20 work to plant, it only takes 10 work/acre to harvest.
However, due to constraining the game from breaking, you will need to decide prior to the season how many persons you want to harvest.
So, in times of planting, you would want as many people possible planting because it takes 20 work to plant 1 acre.
In harvest, you could try to accurately guess how many workers you need because it only takes 10 work to harvest 1 acre.


Part of the reason all of these changes to your work keeps happening is because of me and my changes...and I acknowledge this.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:19 pm

That sounds like... Needless complication, if I may be honest? It's not like the farmers put on harvest are going to be like "I'm done harvesting, guess I'm going to sit on my hands and do nothing" (Season 1 fishing disaster aside)- It's reasonable to deduce that the farmers would split their workforce 20/20, and the moment that everything is harvested, harvesters turn to planting... Which can effectively translate to "roll work until everything is harvested, then start planting again"- Because when it comes down to crops, we're not really making distinctions between months... It's just done when the next season ticks over, and it seems to me it'd be easier to say that, for winter, you just lose XX% of crops because of the cold before they can be harvested... But that's just my idea.

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:24 pm

fineeee

so, settlers can automatically finish harvesting and begin planting again for fall (is that what you wish to happen?)
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
spiderwrangler
Game Master
Posts: 14658

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:29 pm

I guess my question for the group/badge then is whether making farming tools is useful now... if I have to spend a month refining ore, another month making them, they wouldn't be available until the tail end of summer. Might make for harvesting going smoother, and allow fewer folks to have to work on that for the fall?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Did a small edit to the end of the post in case you might have missed it- Honestly, I'm just suggesting what I think will be easier on you and me both. Seems kind of silly to specify X colonists will first harvest while X plant, harvesters turning to planting once done... Or even just X colonists will harvest, then turn to planting once everything is harvested , since it makes effectively no difference. :P

Anyways Spider, I think you might be best off just starting to create farming tools now, so we got a decent stockpile to really get a surplus going once spring comes back around... Or at least make farming tools for the first couple months now, so they can immediately be used during this season in the later months. :shifty:

Ninja'd, turns out it won't be done by the end of the month- I'd still do it, to be honest. Like you said, it'd probably make harvesting a bit easier, and we can do the boat thing next season... I don't think we have the manpower to do it this season anyways, even if I shift my meager ten men I got from working on the mill, to helping build a boat once the sawmill is done... Then I'd rather make sure that mill is ready come spring.

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:39 pm

I am keeping tracking of months. 1, 2, 3.
If you plant in Spring 1, you harvest in Summer 1. etc. If you plant in Spring 1 and Spring 3, because something horrible came out of the woods and ate half your citizens during spring 2, then you'll only be able to harvest in Summer 1 and Summer 3. You can spend summer 2 making headstones or something. :D
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:47 pm

Ah, that does make a mild difference then... In that case, it might at times be applicable to specify differences between harvesting/planting, yes- Although generally, I think it's a safe bet to say that "farming" should just default to "first harvest everything this season, then plant". :)

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Because of reasons, I will continue tracking it on a first to first, middle to middle, last to last basis. Because that would be a true "season" of time in between harvests.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4733

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Your country and its ancestors have long been skilled in the way with iron. Thus, your blacksmiths are able to make tools and weapons at an equivalent to their current ToTs.

Meaning that, unlike other skills which require a ToT of 2 to create a ToT of 1, blacksmiths can create on a 1:1 ToT to ToT base.
so... Vikings don't have great experience with wood, then? I mean... Ships and all that, made from wood? o:)

Also, I'd like to say that - probably because super unlucky dice on the skill up rolls - my char has learned NOT A THING during a whole year of working his butt off? I have to say, I find that a little unreasonable/unrealistic, if I might (at least at this skill level. If he already was more near the cap, I'd see a decreasing learning curve as somewhat reasonable).
Plus, it kind of relativises the "mayor gets the power (and responsibility) to command NPCs, but the trade-off is that he doesn't learn anything" limitation. If it can just as easily happen to anyone else that they don't learn anything either.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 am

I talked to Spider yesterday about a few things and, in order to make things somewhat better, I will hesitantly say that I am willing to accept a min/max working rate.

Meaning, if you want to make sure you always have 5 of something on hand and anytime that item falls below 5 you want to make more..I could do that.
In addition, because gathers asked, I'm willing to allow different things, but only if they fall under the same skill.
Example: Carpentry - You want to make 5 different wooden things. You place them in order from most important to build to least important to build, and you want to make 1 each of them. So I roll for you as normal, lets say you get a 4, I make the first 4 things on your list.
^I can do this, but you will need to be very clear what you want, and it must be in the same skill set.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4733

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

so, does what I already posted, qualify?
I'm pretty sure that baking tools, plough, smoking and tanning racks can all be made from wood, so they all should fall under carpentry. I'm just assuming that the plough - being bigger and probably hardest to make - takes quite a lot more work than the other things.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:26 am

mmm,So, I'm going to call a distinction between structures and tools.
Baking tools (Not that I completely know what you want) are tools.
A Plow is technically already included within "Farming tools" and wouldn't add anything extra to farming, but this is also a "tool".
Smoking and tanning racks, these are structures and must be built.

Technically they do all fall under carpentry, but they skip between tools and buildings a bit. I make this distinction because, tools are readily built, structures require "building" which takes longer.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4733

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

Huh? I'm sorry, just trying to understand. In the previous post you said as long as it all falls under the same skill set, it's okay. And now you say there's a distinction between tools and buildings. Are you saying that I can't mix tools and buildings structures in one month?

Besides, a tanning rack and a smoking rack are literally just a bunch of sticks fixated together in a certain way. I honestly don't know why you would classify that as a structure building.

And... @baking tools, I was thinking of a rolling pin and a baking peel, at the very least. Probably a couple of bowls to mix the flour, salt, and water in. Possibly some molds for the dough. Things that would enable us to make bread from the flour which we can now make in the simple mill.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 am

Well, just that it would be more difficult, not necessarily that it's impossible.

For game mechanic reasons, it takes 1 work per 1 lumber to build something. And I would guess that your tanning rack thingy might take say, 5 lumber.
So, currently, I roll the following to determine how much you can build: 1d10 + 2 + 1d5
If you crapped out and roller 1d10=1+2+(1d5=1)=4, then you would have only built 4 sticks of your 5 stick tanning rack (within 1 month).

So as long as you understand that...I'm fine with it, I'm not trying to disallow it, I'm trying to make sure you understand that building mechanics are different from tool creating mechanics.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am

So with a small mill (and oven), could we get processing wheat into flour and then bread going? (And am I correct in assuming that we'll need to have people working the mill/ovens?)

Also, most important question I think yet to be asked in this game yet...

Are there dodo's we can hunt to extinction?

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:02 am

The dodo's are most likely safe on whatever island they happen to live on, but I'm sure you can try to make the buffalos and beavers extinct by wastefully hunting them strictly for their furs and not actually eating them.

I suppose I didn't say what the Mill and sawmill actually did have I?

The Sawmill needs a minimum 5 men working and it produces 10d7 lumber per month, every additional man after the first 5 add an additonal 1d7 production.

The Small Mill needs 1 man + 1 animal or 3 men working on it to produce 50 units of flour per month.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4733

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:36 am

okay, thanks for clarifying. What about those means of transportation? Like stretchers, crates, carrying poles for game, "backpacks" made from wood, etc. Would those qualify as structures or as tools?

Also, the plough doesn't increase efficiency ONLY if it is used by humans or if we got some animal(s) to work it, it wouldn't increase efficiency, too?
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 am

Using animals is the only method you currently have to help the efficiency of plowing, but you would need horses or oxen or "Tame buffalo" <-- fat chance.

Yeah, Stretchers, carrying poles and your backpack things, those are tools.
A structure is going to be something that is difficult to move and has permanence.
A tool can be carried fairly easily by 1 or 2 people.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator
Posts: 4733

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks, that helps. I edited my post accordingly. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Isle of Starlight!
Hunters of Letrua: Loki "Boarstrangler" - Obsidian portal page
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
M0rtimer
Global Moderator
Posts: 11801

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:00 pm

So, probably won't matter for this season as we won't be planing crops with winter coming, but about the mill: You say it produces "50 flour/month", right? Then what is the input of required wheat then to make this work? Because I'm reading that it's 3d7 flour/bushel of wheat, so I'm not sure what we have to put in to make it work... And how much bread could we bake in one month with the small oven we have and how many could work it?

(My personal suggestion would be to instead say something along the lines of "a small mill can have at most 5 people working at it, each producing 3d7/month", which I think would make things a bit simpler? I'd also put a cap on the amount of people in the sawmill but hey I won't mind infinite wood processing)

User avatar
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena
Posts: 8547
Location: Ohio

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:09 pm

This is a very shitty, slapped together mill. The efficiency rate is horrible. As far how, how do you get to 50? in the same way that wood works.

50 - X(3d7) = Y=50

Its hard to explain..but it works. 3 people assumes 2 are pushing and 1 is collecting. You could potentially put a max of 5 people on this mill, with 4 pushing and 1 collecting.
However, due to lowered efficiency rate, as mentioned above, this mill isn't supposed to be mindbogglingly awesome, but mediocrity at best. <-- thus forcing you to build a better one in the future.

I'll think about it more.
The Long Shot - A Star Wars Saga Edition Campaign.
The ones who challenge and break the rules created by the current Authorities, are the harbingers of change.

User avatar
thinkslogically
Game Master
Posts: 14017
Location: Florida

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 pm

?? So x is 0?

Ice not really been able to keep up with developments, so just let me know what Freya needs to do to keep the farm alive.

Im going to probably need to autopilot her to teaching / farming at M0rt's command for a wee bit (at least until we finish storm prepping), and probably again next week depending on available internet / mobile signal :)

Post Reply