Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by Quarg » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

So with oats and other vegetables people could make pottage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottage
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:29 pm

I assume people are basically doing that in their homes already, but yeah, that works.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:35 am

Are there any questions I need to answer before someone posts?
I don't know if I'll be able to make an update today, but I may be able to tonight or tomorrow.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:02 am

I don't have actions yet...

Bjorn has made farming tools +0 out of wood alone. Is there a mechanical benefit to me making metal farming tools?

Barring that, what do the rest of you perceive as the most dire needs in terms of forging?

My first month with be refining ore, but second and third I should be able to work on things. If I'm loaned workers, I may be able to get them to continue collecting, making charcoal, and refining.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 am

I'd vote for farming equipment or a mill to crush grain (unless that's someone else's skillset).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:18 am

I believe better tools will probably be +1, or higher? It basically adds another one on each unit of "work" done. It's not super amazing, and the most important part is just having any tools, but it's definitely worth it still.

Also Badge, you never really answered my question whether fishing boats/anything else would help with fishing production, nor that three different steps for wheat currently also means we're spending three times as much work on it..? Or do the three steps happen for just one "work"?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:32 am

Mort:
Fishing boats are already counted in fish production in the background. Kind of like a means to an end.

Allow me to attempt to explain wheat better.

Let me try to explain this as best I can.
There is Community resources and personal resources.
There are three "levels" of wheat Industry
The first level of Wheat Industry is planting and harvesting = Food.
The second level of Wheat Industry (Requires a mill) is planting, harvesting and milling = Food
The third level of Wheat Industry (Requires mill and ovens) is planting, harvesting, milling and baking = food

What a colonist does in their home after being given some wheat = food, doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things.
Does that make sense?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:40 am

It makes me understand that, right now, we are only able to do "step 1" of the wheat industry , so that regardless of the following answer we should really be planting just oats etc for now... But it still doesn't really answer my question. Allow me to rephrase in a way that makes more clear what I'm trying to ask: Assuming we have the full wheat industry available to us, does it take one worker/season to convert it all into bread, or does it take three? Namely, do we need to put a worker on each individual step, or can one worker do it assuming they have the tools for it?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:42 am

I would really REALLY like to know the "production rates" for the crops that are mentionend in the sheet (Rice (White), Rye, Corn and Pumpkins ), so I can try and figure out which ones we should have planted (in the last update you offered us the option to have a different distribution to the one you set), but that doesn't do us a whole lot of good until we have numbers for all (available) crops.

And/or maybe we don't have access to rice, corn, etc. (yet), so we have all the (available numbers), but that's another question you have not answered so far, if you please. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:45 am

We must still be able to make bread somehow, because we've been making flour without a mill... But yeah, I'm not sure how long any of that is taking.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:48 am

^It takes some research, because I run it based on actual numbers minus some for the decrease in tech and times.

So, currently your options are limited yes, but in order to keep the game going, you'll need to choose from what I've provided you.

You obviously don't have corn yet because the Native Americans haven't given it to you....
thinkslogically wrote:We must still be able to make bread somehow, because we've been making flour without a mill... But yeah, I'm not sure how long any of that is taking.
I made a mistake in giving you that flour, but I won't take it back from you.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:55 am

Oh, so we can ONLY make wheat?

Ok, then I think we dont want to plant any more of that...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:56 am

^Okay, I have you planting oats instead.

But I hope you understand that once you have a mill and then once you have ovens, the output of wheat becomes better and better.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:42 am

So badge raises a good point in that I'll have to be responsible for distributing out food... I'm tempted to say that since we still have enough for now, to distribute one to everyone as usual, then hope we make it back. But we might not if there's a bad harvest, and winter is two seasons away... :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:11 am

Sounds good. We have other food than crops for now anyway. Let's invest time in cooking and preserving stuff maybe. We should get better food for the effort and more of a stockpile, and I don't think we need sugar to make crap jam. Honey would make everything nicer, but we can use seaweed for gelatin and make do.

PS, we should absolutely be harvesting seaweed. None of it is poisonous or toxic, it's super nutritious and it grows at a rate of knots that even we couldn't keep up with. Some is nicer than others of course, but beggars can't be choosers.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am

Yeah, alright- So everyone gets 1 unit of food this season. Like nothing is happening, folks. Don't pay attention to how our food stores will be empty by the end of the season if we don't get them refilled. :shudder:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:05 am

Ok, so just to be clear, are able to make flour?

You've said that we can't make any, but also said that we were making it with mortar and pestles.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

Let me try to make a metaphor.
You could build a car in your garage. (slowly)
You could build a car in an car manufacturing warehouse and assembly line (quickly)

You currently do not have a method to quickly make flour, meaning it doesn't count. What some women do with mortar & pestles doesn't contribute to the whole, only to themselves...so it's not counted.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:11 am

I understand the concept of efficiency, but just saying that we can't make any would have saved a lot of confusion :lol:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:54 am

This is labor day weekend in the states...so, if not everyone can post I understand, moreso, I probably won't update till tuesday if I can't find the time on saturday.

Have a great weekend folks.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:37 pm

Well as far as I can make out...I can't post because my character isn't on the board...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Yes he is.. He was introduced in the end if the last update.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:10 pm

Yup, noticed it finally

Two questions now that my computer is not crashing for no good reason:

1. Shellfish fishing, Oysters (dig the up from the mud), clams (shave them off), and scallops (chase them in the grass) should be around someplace for us to get with the proper leadership.

2. Would converting one of the row boats into a sailboats increase our range, it should, and allow for more fishing ground to be utilized?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:22 am

I see you have gumption, to push the limits of my knowledge.

Yes shellfish oysters scallops are all something that you could find once I figure out where you can find them, granted similar to the overfishing episode when it comes to actually finding enough of them to feed an entire Village, they may become scarce quite quickly.

As far as converting one of the rowboats into a sailboat, yes.

I would like to say that I encourage free thinking, as long as it fits within this era of time. For this game I am doing a lot of research into Colonial time technology and Industry, I encourage my players to prove me wrong and to figure out what they can improve upon without me giving them any nudging.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Hey, Archeology minor here...

I can't wait till we find that poisonous tuber the potato...or that dangerous fruit the tomato...

Anyway, Thinks please stop confusing my ancestors...James didn't come over until someone asked him to build boats...

John is the one currently hiding out with the NORSE...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr