Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all)

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:24 am

So, in somewhat answering Mort's breakdown of my job skills, I am attempting to go about this with as much common sense as possible.
1 man, with 1 axe could, in 1 season (3 months), easily job down a lot of trees. 1 man, with something like a saw, could somewhat easily make a lot of raw lumber from those trees, in 3 months. But when it comes to building things, it could take you a whole season just to build 1 house.

In thinking about things more and more, I'm thinking about separating "Resource Production" and "Building Production" into two categories.
Resource production is as mentioned and explained in details above. Buildings will require both resources and "time" to complete. And it will most likely be me (and you if you would like) doing some research into about how much of a resource is required to build various buildings.

Unless one of you has a good idea that you would like to share.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 am

Yeah, I was thinking something along the same line- Put a reasonable "cost" on a building which we need to work towards if we want to see it built, coupled together with time- Which some structures might decrease, or potentially like you mentioned, a carpenter/masonry helps construction directly...

Also I was thinking about the "Profession bonus" and I have a potential suggestion for you- Rather than make it a "fixed" bonus, why not make it a percentage bonus? Say for example you'd cut wood, and gain ten wood, with a profession of 2 in lumberjacking... Say we relate each proficiency point to 10%- So I got ten logs by default from my roll, and I take another extra 20% from my skill, making 12 logs total.

That'd leave to decide what you do in a "round up" scenario, my personal leanings that we'd either do a percentage roll (So say I gained an additional 0.2 of a resource, a dice is rolled with 20% chance of getting that +1) or simply round either half up/half down if that'd be too much extra rolls. Also, considering how easy it will be to gain new skills/skill points, and how influential we want those to be? Similar to how your skill would be a % increase, having no skill at all or no ToT could similarly be a % decrease? For example lacking one would be 50%, lacking both 75%- Making it rather inefficient until you "learn" the skill...

Just throwing out ideas here- Feel free to take what you like, throw in the trash can what you hate... :P

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 am

the other option would be that your "mastery" in a skill increases your minimum amount earned.
Example:
Basic task:
2d10 (Skill level = minimum success)
No Skill = 1d5
1 Skill = 2d10 (No less than 3)
2 skill = 2d10 (No less than 4)
3 skill = 2d10 (No less than 5)
etc

So, you have a skill of 1, I roll 2d10,
On one roll you get a 5 and you keep it.
On another roll you get a 2 and you get your base of 3.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:17 am

That's pretty much what it already does except it also improves the outcome on a high roll now
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:21 am

^That's a good point, this would eliminate that "bonus" so to say.
Okay, the only other thing I'm willing to consider is a "proficiency bonus"

It appears I need to think about this some more.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:22 am

Mort, I think this kind of does what your suggesting, and also makes job skills make sense. In addition, I've edited how ToTs add into resource production.
Job Skill bonus Explanation: Your level of Job Skill adds a % bonus to your production amount. Each level adds an additional 5% of bonus resource created. When dealing with rounding, Basic & Medium tasks are rounded down to the next whole number. Complex tasks create "unfinished" goods, which can be completed during the next season of using that Job Skill.

ToT bonus's result in an additional die roll for resource production.
With a basic ax, a lumberjack with a skill level of 1 can cut down 2d10 + 1d5 trees.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:29 am

BadgeAddict wrote: ToT bonus's result in an additional die roll for resource production.
With a basic ax, a lumberjack with a skill level of 1 can cut down 2d10 + 1d5 trees.
How will this example change with no skills? More skill? Better tools?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:35 am

With no skills, a lumberjack using an ax (which is needed to chop down a tree...or a saw) can cut down 1d5 trees per season. That 1 skill level helps bump you up to "knowledgeable about axes"
The current example should be amended to show: Lumberjack lvl 1 + Ax = 2d10 (Base) + 1d5 (base quality ToT) + 5% (Skill)
So, as tool quality increases, ToT bonus rises by 1d5 per quality level.
As Skill increases, % raises by 5% per skill level, topping off at 10 for 50%. (If enough of you disagree with that, I'm willing to make it increments of 10% topping off at 100%)

But, please understand that some advancements will destroy this.

A lumbermill is a building that can very quickly create lumber from logs, and other than having some men working there, creation amount will need to be decided at that time.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Hey, I'm not saying my method is the method to "end all methods"- I just think percentual approach is the easiest "variable output" solution- And I put 10% as an example, "nerfing" it down to 5 is completely acceptable. Seems like it'd work fine.

...I should probably get around to actually getting my skills in, huh. :shifty:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:51 pm

How about you take lumberjack (to gain wood), m0rt and I take carpenter (to process the wood) and mason (to get and process stone)?

I could imagine job skills like:
carpenter 2
stonemason 3

And hope that spider makes me some carpenter tools asap...

If we go with the Vikings as native culture, I could name my char Bjorn Cloudhammer or some such. ^^
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 am

just got back from my vacation, need a few days to figure out what I was doing at work before I left, once I'm there, we'll get this started.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am

yay. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 pm

I suppose this is a good excuse as any to FINALLY get around to finalizing my character. Roughly, at least.

So now to consider if I go for my hermit idea... Or take something like "leadership" and become the local dictator governor. Or clan leader, if we are to be vikings..?

Anyways...

Lumbering: 3
Fishing: 1
Soldier: 1

His name will be Groff. I do have a simple background for him as well, but it'd be better to have it found fluidly rather than just outright stating it.

Equipment brought from the home land: Trusty axe (ToT), silver locket, small bag of licorice... Or some Surstr├Âmming if we're going for vikings.

(Might still switch out soldier for mining, but figure that just 1 a skill won't be worth much...)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Starting to picture something akin to Floki on Vikings show, but more lumbering than boat building.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Based on the feedback, unless we have any other suggestions, we'll go with vikings.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Not familiar with the show, so won't make comment on it, but like I said- He's mostly a hermit sticking to himself. First order of business will probably be to chop trees and construct himself a small hut, maybe (regrettably) ask for some aid in return for the lumber with the latter... After that, he'd probably still be selling wood and the occasional fish in trade for other stuff he wants/needs, but I'd not consider him a social animal. :P

Boat building might also be interesting... Although to be honest, I'm not sure if that should fall under carpentry or be it's own skill- On one hand putting everything wood related under carpentry might make it too generic, while splitting everything up might make it a bit hard to get all skills we "need"... Depending on how hard Badge will make it to "train" stuff and obtain the relevant ToT, at least.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Being governor improves the output of the populace for the governance period so it'll probably make sense to rotate as we need different things. Lumber for early building sounds good.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi hermit, how do you feel about leading us?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:52 pm

He'd never offer himself to be governor, but if we're going with the "needing to draw straws" thing and say he lost, he'd begrudgingly accept the position... Just be prepared for him to pull something stupid so they'll want a replacement sooner rather than later. :shifty:

If you want lumber, though, recruiting him is the last thing you want to do- From what I understand, at least..? The governor controls the people, so can basically do anything that other players couldn't take care off... So Groff (his name... For now, at least, but probably going to become permanent as I can't make decisions) could just be working on his own, and the governor could just have people do their own woodcutting on top of that if necessary.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 pm

But the governor gives a bonus to the slaves people based on his own skills, so if we are in dire need of lumber it would be beneficial to pick a lumberjack since all the people we put to chopping lumber would be more efficient
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 pm

For sure. You don't have to do anything except tell the plebs to chop down trees :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:10 pm

So this is how it's going to be, huh...

Very well.

This shall be... Interesting.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Unless smithing gives a bonus to mining ore, I'm unlikely to be called on to serve... Having a bunch of people swinging hammers about doesn't help if there is only one forge and anvil. Perhaps sharpening and handle attachment can be outsourced?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Could be. I can see farming being helpful; also hunting and that kind of thing

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Badge, what will governors be able to work on during their term? Will it have to be the they are directing the peons in? Just wondering in terms of folks being able to learn other stuff.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler